ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nassau County and NYC

RUBOB72

Heisman Winner
Aug 5, 2004
Seems in Nassau County the influx from NYC is at unforeseen levels... as a house goes on the market it is immediately sold. That from realtors in the area... I can’t understand this exodus out of the city.

Seems in Nassau County the influx from NYC is at unforeseen levels... as a house goes on the market it is immediately sold. That from realtors in the area... I can’t understand this exodus out of the city.

In case you missed it, it's happening in Westchester and Rocklandin NY, Bergen, Passaic, Essex and Morris in NJ, and Fairfield in CT.

My friend works in real estate in NJ , the houses are now going to the highest bidder and sold within a week no mater what conditions the houses are in, he said it’s like being at a car auction.

Reactions: MrsScrew
It’s happening by me as far out as Lambertville/New Hope. People are fleeing the cities, and if a town has a walkable downtown and decent restaurants/bars, forget it....houses are going like hot cakes.

It’s happening by me as far out as Lambertville/New Hope. People are fleeing the cities, and if a town has a walkable downtown and decent restaurants/bars, forget it....houses are going like hot cakes.
People need to get out of cities ASAP. Those places are not safe and if you can work from home, what's the point.

Unfortunately this will drive a ton of under 35 people from the state who are looking for home ownership. I’ve budgeted for a 500k house as my first house but if the 500k house selections get speculated up to 650k+ then I’m out of here. Hate to see that its happening in alexandria/lambertville as those were top areas on my list.

Reactions: redking
Unfortunately this will drive a ton of under 35 people from the state who are looking for home ownership. I’ve budgeted for a 500k house as my first house but if the 500k house selections get speculated up to 650k+ then I’m out of here. Hate to see that its happening in alexandria/lambertville as those were top areas on my list.
You can still get a great place in Lambertville for $400-$500k. Obviously it depends on what your needs are and LVille is a unique town. But if you’re interested, I know a local realtor.

Reactions: Knight Shift

You forgot good schools.

well ,those that say get out of NYC asap should look at NJ==huge numbers leaving NJ--"The data, compiled by United Van Lines from March 1 to Aug. 19, puts New York second in the nation only to New Jersey, where 69 percent of people who moved skipped out while only 31 percent of moves were by people entering the Garden State" If it wasn't for NYC there would be little real estate interest in Nassau, Bergen County, Westchester and the rest, or reason to live in those places--some of you guys need to root for NYC and Philly instead of hoping for their demise

well ,those that say get out of NYC asap should look at NJ==huge numbers leaving NJ--"The data, compiled by United Van Lines from March 1 to Aug. 19, puts New York second in the nation only to New Jersey, where 69 percent of people who moved skipped out while only 31 percent of moves were by people entering the Garden State" If it wasn't for NYC there would be little real estate interest in Nassau, Bergen County, Westchester and the rest, or reason to live in those places--some of you guys need to root for NYC and Philly instead of hoping for their demise
Thanks ...sounds as though we’ll be getting less trash from across the river. Less actually would be a welcome relief ...our taxes will be going up no matter what...” guaranteed in this life...death and taxes”

Realtors in Ulster (New Paltz) are maxing as well. Don't expect the people creating the situation to get smart anytime soon.

8BMhdVv.jpg

And where are the sellers going ?
Most sellers around me are either just retired or forced retired by covid in their late 50's early 60's. Staying up here, they still need to find some income- selling at max price, finally seeing a window where they can get out of a negative equity situation and actually pocket some cash- allows them to pack it up and move to a no tax, lower cost of living state.

Now- one thing I have noticed in my neighborhood- a few people thought, "I can just put it on the market, do nothing to it and make my killing" For about a month, that worked. And while homes are getting into bidding wars- the market is starting to saturate and if you want that bidding war- pay attention to your comps that just went up. These millennials buying in the Subs are not looking for a fixer upper and will pay top for a move in ready with updates. My street alone- 4 houses went on the market last month. 2 sold immediately and the other two have sat. All in the 1.3- 2.2 range. The two sitting- could be beautiful with very little care. Little things that you and I would look at as a little TLC and not much cost are major turnoffs for the couples moving in. They will pay a lot more for less as long as they dont have to do anything.

Reactions: RUaMoose
As soon as a vaccine is out and cities lower rents watch the people flock back, especially the 22-40 age group.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
The draining of the NE and New England will continue...it was the case before we imported this little virus and will be so after. Census data since the 1950s don’t lie!

Reactions: JayDogSmooth
As soon as a vaccine is out and now that cities lowered rents watch the people flock back, especially the singles 22-30 age group.

FIFY

The draining of the NE and New England will continue...it was the case before we imported this little virus and will be so after. Census data since the 1950s don’t lie!

Not New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Both markets are booming

People are fleeing NYC and Philly (as well as other cities) for NJ, NY, PA, and CT suburbs, so those markets are flaming hot with houses selling very quickly and above market and list prices.

I heard Vermont was pretty normal at one point before the Bernie worshippers showed up. Any truth to that?

Not really. Bernie showed up because Vermont had become a liberal Mecca. Go back 50 years and the contrast between Vermont and New Hampshire was startling. Vermont was hard core liberal and New Hampshire was hard core libertarian/conservative. Massachusetts refugees moving to Southern New Hampshire for lower real estate prices and quality of life have turned NH purple, but Vermont has changed very little.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Initially we were going to list my moms house..an older (1963) but solid house in Hillsborough in the 375-400K range, did some repairs and listed at 440K and it went under contract in 5 days at 430K. I will say there are a ton of more houses out there in the last month and my sister really just wanted to sell quickly so she bit at an early offer. Still its way more than we initially were thinking.

My colleagues with kids in Manhattan have had a tough time with this. Stuck working from home with kids in an apartment with no "safe" outside space. They want yards and swing sets and lower population density. I'm in Nassau and houses in our town, which has excellent schools, are selling briskly. We have high property taxes which are only getting higher so retirees are selling and moving. People still want access to Manhattan but families don't want to live there (in general, always exceptions). Post vaccine, people will still not be going into their Manhattan offices as much. Technology enables people to effectively work at home. The dynamics of Manhattan real estate have changed fundamentally.

Boy, some of you are so provincial. Without big cities the suburbs are no more than boring enclaves and If you hate crowds, and the riff raft why in God's name do you live in NJ ?Without the diversity and what being close to NYC and Philly have to offer you're better off in West Virginia

My colleagues with kids in Manhattan have had a tough time with this. Stuck working from home with kids in an apartment with no "safe" outside space. They want yards and swing sets and lower population density. I'm in Nassau and houses in our town, which has excellent schools, are selling briskly. We have high property taxes which are only getting higher so retirees are selling and moving. People still want access to Manhattan but families don't want to live there (in general, always exceptions). Post vaccine, people will still not be going into their Manhattan offices as much. Technology enables people to effectively work at home. The dynamics of Manhattan real estate have changed fundamentally.

I thought you were in Hoboken?

Don't understand, if they want yards and swing sets why are they in NYC in the first place. It's a normal transition for many to move to outside of the city when you get kids. But guess what it may be foreign to many but before 2020 many of my friends after their kids were out of the house wanted back to the city if they could afford it. B y the way if you went into the city this weekend you'd be amazed how vibrant it still is

Last edited:
I thought you were in Hoboken?

I loved Hoboken for the 10 years that I lived there. Great place. But moved when I got married (11 years ago) and had kids. Wanted to stay in NJ because I thought you got move bang for your buck but my wife cast the deciding vote for Long Island. I like the proximity to the beaches and have great neighbors here. Easy commute into midtown (38 minutes to Penn), easy parking right by train 1 mile from my house. Biggest negative is traveling the Belt Pkwy to visit my family in NJ and traffic in general.

Reactions: rurichdog
Don't understand, if they want yards and swing sets why are they in NYC in the first place. It's a normal transition for many to move to outside of the city when you get kids. But guess what it may be foreign to many but before 2020 many of my friends after their kids were out of the house wanted back to the city if they could afford it. B y the way of you went into the city this weekend you'd be amazed how vibrant it still is

The people I know who have their kids in the city stayed because they liked their schools, had access to places like Central Park to get outside when they wanted, both parents working in the city so they thought commuting would take away quality of life. That view has changed. They were stuck inside, 2 adults working with kids crawling all over them. Leaving only to buy food and necessities. Prison like. They want out. I do agree that post Covid, they will be replaced by younger people without kids. Surely you understand this point of view?

well i've been to Central Park recently and its teeming with kids and their parents--same for the park along the East River in LI City---covid or not , many of those with kids were always looking to move to the burbs, that's not new and by the way NYC has one of the lowest infection rates in the USA--it's safer there than on LI or for sure,NJ

"They were stuck inside, 2 adults working with kids crawling all over them. Leaving only to buy food and necessities. Prison like "----For the last month or two no ones been locked in their apartments in Manhattan unless your friends are strange , you may not be going into the office but the Village, upper East Side, UWS , etc are full of people going about as normal--where do you guys get this stuff , geez take a ride into NYC or are you too "scared" Prisoners???

Walk down 5th ave in the 50s. Its empty during the week. Don't you have rental properties in Manhattan? Is that coloring your views? You seem to think things are back to normal. They are not. Either you are being purposely obtuse or your economic interests are clouding your common sense. My colleagues are not strange, they are very intelligent. Maybe you are the strange one? Relax a bit.

Reactions: Local Shill
We're now to the point where the CE board reunion hates NYC so much they're now pumping an adjoining blue county with some of the highest taxes in America to make a point.

Wouldn't the easier post just be you went to see the Rockettes in the 80s and haven't set foot in the city since?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT