ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Neighbor takes down trees on your property

The plot th

Update:

Neighbor was waiting for me as I pulled up. Said sorry for no heads up. Was not expecting contractor to come that day. Says trees are his and will show me the survey. I do see the stumps are closer to his driveway than I thought. Tree guys are expected to come back to remove logs. He did throw out potentially splitting costs of putting up new trees – I would definitely want some new trees to regain privacy in my yard. He did also offer to pick of cost of seeding grass in areas affected by work.

FYI - This thread was good therapy while commuted home. Good advice all around.
Still should bang his wife if she has no moles.

you need approval to remove a dangerous tree from your own lawn?
Jeez, talk about a money grabbing racket
In many towns if the tree is dead, diseased decayed, you don't need a permit. Don't know if your tree guy needs to be certified to determine this, but my tree guy is a certified tree expert.

Don't forget to cancel that contract with Vinny and Tony.

Yes sir. Can't take a tree down unless the town approves

We have the same requirements in Mahwah and limited as to how many trees you can remove per year...EXCEPT after major storms. Our town does not govern it at all after storms like this.

I guess they want trees. My neighbor took their 75 footer down on their front lawn 15-20ft from street that was decimated by sandy a few yrs before and within 3 days the town planted one right in front of their house between sidewalk and curb

I guess they want trees. My neighbor took their 75 footer down on their front lawn 15-20ft from street that was decimated by sandy a few yrs before and within 3 days the town planted one right in front of their house between sidewalk and curb
It's really hard to do anything where I live (Lake Tahoe). Nobody could touch a tree until there was a fire that took out almost 350 homes. Now they allow homeowners to remove 15 feet from the house in order to create "defensible space." Also, with a permit, we can remove trees with diameters less than 8 inches.

Other than trees, they really limit how much you can build and consume "coverage" on your property. They have fancy formulas but typically, on a flat lot with good drainage, you are allowed no more than 30% of the property. So if your house and driveway take up that much space then that means no deck. You can build less if you live on a slope, have a property with greater environmental impact, etc.

You guys have it easy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT