ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Netflix deal finalized at Ft. Monmouth.

Good news because those are wide range of jobs. It includes less than half the land of Ft. Monmouth so there should be room for Monmouth U. I wonder whether there are any tax credits available for the site remediaton the article refers to.

When Fort Monmouth closed, Route 35 & 36 businesses (especially 36) took it very hard, 36 became pretty depressing in general. Hopefully this will spark life back to the area.
I think there is no question of that. Especially that strip just prior to the light where the McDonald's is. I imagine that becomes a hot spot of sorts. Car traffic will be crazy though. Not conducive to foot traffic.

Could see a complete restructuring of that area.

Edit: Really just talking 35 in the immediate area, don't go on to 36 much over there. That's already a driving nightmare.

Sounds amazing, that is big money, and tons of jobs, coming to the area, but I can't help but wonder about what it does to traffic. Not great as is.
True. I live within walking distance of Fort Monmouth. When Fort Monmouth was open, it could take 10-15 minutes to go the distance of about 1/10 mile during the evening rush hour (from Shrewsbury Ave to the Main Gates). When the main gate was closed, (cut through to Oceanport), traffic was even worse. 10-15 minutes might not seem like a lot, but when you see people on foot covering more distance over the same amount of time, you get the idea how bad the traffic is/was. It still takes almost 10 minutes to cover that distance during the evening rush just due to the amount of cars on the road, and the explosion of high density residential building in the area.

So many buildings that could be used for student dorms,so I'm sure Monmouth University is still in the mix for some of that land. It has a pool, bowling alley and sports fields. I even played Pop Warner Football on that field,under the lights as a kid.

True. I live within walking distance of Fort Monmouth. When Fort Monmouth was open, it could take 10-15 minutes to go the distance of about 1/10 mile during the evening rush hour (from Shrewsbury Ave to the Main Gates). When the main gate was closed, (cut through to Oceanport), traffic was even worse. 10-15 minutes might not seem like a lot, but when you see people on foot covering more distance over the same amount of time, you get the idea how bad the traffic is/was. It still takes almost 10 minutes to cover that distance during the evening rush just due to the amount of cars on the road, and the explosion of high density residential building in the area.

Usually big developments like this include the buyer paying for public road improvements to fix expected traffic. If done right, traffic might even be better than it is now. Of course, that's a big IF.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
So many buildings that could be used for student dorms,so I'm sure Monmouth University is still in the mix for some of that land. It has a pool, bowling alley and sports fields. I even played Pop Warner Football on that field,under the lights as a kid.

Student dorms?? Maybe in 1962 - 1972 but now I don't think so. And there is still over 50% of the Monmouth property that does not go to Netflix. Some of those facilities might be in that section.

The field house is now the Fort Athletic club

And I believe the bowling alley is being renovated.

As for dorms West Point Prep was on site but they move out 10 or so years ago

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Oceanport side has serious developmental going on with mixed use residential and commercial, old office houses redone, new townhouses going up. Will be a highly desirable place to live in next 5-10 years. Will be a little downtown.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Usually big developments like this include the buyer paying for public road improvements to fix expected traffic. If done right, traffic might even be better than it is now. Of course, that's a big IF.
In theory yes. In reality, there is little that can be done there to improve traffic flow due to geographic limitations

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
Most of the developable land and projects within Fort Monmouth are accounted for and has been that way for years. This parcel of land and the Monmouth Medical Center project are the latest to be finalized. But have been in the works since the Fort closed. Followed development closely. Never heard Monmouth U being discussed as a real possibility.

Most of the developable land and projects within Fort Monmouth are accounted for and has been that way for years. This parcel of land and the Monmouth Medical Center project are the latest to be finalized. But have been in the works since the Fort closed. Followed development closely. Never heard Monmouth U being discussed as a real possibility.
In the early days of BRAC there were rumors of RU, Monmouth and Brookdale all inquiring. Don't know how far it got.

On a side note
Reportedly Netflix will begin blocking multiple users on accounts sometime in 2023
The technology is being practiced in Brazil right now

This probably affects many here including myself

In the early days of BRAC there were rumors of RU, Monmouth and Brookdale all inquiring. Don't know how far it got.
NJCU has a buiilding in the Oceanport section of the fort. I heard Brookdale will be taking it over.

On a side note
Reportedly Netflix will begin blocking multiple users on accounts sometime in 2023
The technology is being practiced in Brazil right now

This probably affects many here including myself
Whats worse

Shoplifting food so your kid can eat or stealing streaming services?

It's a moral conundrum

Whats worse

Shoplifting food so your kid can eat or stealing streaming services?

It's a moral conundrum
Sharing Netflix is very common now to the point that it almost seems ok to do, but it is not

Anyone been to the new craft brewery....Birdsmouth?
Didn’t go but a friend grabbed a growler and it was an excellent lager. The brewmaster/founder of Birdsmouth is the original brewmaster from Kane. Can’t wait for golf at sun eagles followed by lagers at birdsmouth.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Didn’t go but a friend grabbed a growler and it was an excellent lager. The brewmaster/founder of Birdsmouth is the original brewmaster from Kane. Can’t wait for golf at sun eagles followed by lagers at birdsmouth.
That's precisely what I wanted to hear. I saw somewhere that they pride themselves on the lagers/ales...which would be perfect. I was at Source in Colts Neck the other day and it was all IPA and sours I think. One decent stout and ZERO lagers or ales. That blows my mind...., especially this time of year.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT