ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Jersey Beach OLD message in a bottle found

I’m having a hard time believing that this is actually what it seems. Unless that bottle came from inside something else that recently broke open, I have difficulty grasping that it would be floating undiscovered for that long. Additionally wouldn’t the sunlight fade the ink/paper?

Would be amazing if legitimate, however I al skeptical it is what it seems.

Could have been buried in a sand bar and released recently by dredging for beach replenishment underway.
That’s what experts think. I read the story and sometimes these things just go through the dredging machines, other times they just get unearthed and thrown around by the tides.

I’m having a hard time believing that this is actually what it seems. Unless that bottle came from inside something else that recently broke open, I have difficulty grasping that it would be floating undiscovered for that long. Additionally wouldn’t the sunlight fade the ink/paper?

Me too. Wouldn't a cork exposed to salt water rot in a few decades and allow water into the bottle which would destroy the contents? And this bottle was out there for 130 years.

That section of beach is at the very end of ocean city and usually pretty empty, it’s actually a state park. I walk it all the time and even in the summer it’s not unusual to be the only one on the beach. Likely buried in the sand like so many other things. I have found a section of whale bone in that same area as well as a brass shell casing that dates back to WW2 among many other things

Cool story, thanks to op for posting

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
That’s what experts think. I read the story and sometimes these things just go through the dredging machines, other times they just get unearthed and thrown around by the tides.
Think those metal detector guys need to head to Ocean City.

Did it say how bad the refs were hosing Rutgers?
Yeah.. we were on a 9-year losing streak to Princeton in football.. all at Princeton for some reason... so.. yeah.. refs were hosing us back then.. even though they probably didn't exist.

haha... had to look it up.. I remembered we did not play them every year.. so it was more like losing 5 in a row in teh 1870s.. which would stretch unbroken losing streak up until Rutgers Stadium opened in 1938.. all games played at Princeton, of course.

While checking this.. I see some joker edited wiki to give us a win here... linky

Me too. Wouldn't a cork exposed to salt water rot in a few decades and allow water into the bottle which would destroy the contents? And this bottle was out there for 130 years.
Cork is from a tree so it wouldn't suffer from the corrosive effects of salt water like a metal. The bottles in the linked story were recently discovered and are estimated to be from a 19th century shipwreck. They are still sealed.

https://www.winespectator.com/artic...zJKaCr2d8QMfI13Ckw_aem_nR5GQcvunk-skVDP7oYoaw

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Digging in my back yard a few years ago I dug up an old Knapp’s root beer extract bottle. Not particularly rare - have seen them on eBay fo about $8-10.
Original owners of house (built 1920s) must have buried it along with other trash. They also buried a lot of clinkers from coal furnace along edge of property which made digging post holes a real pain when I was installing a fence using manual hole digger

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT