ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Orleans

Zak57

All American
Jul 5, 2011
I'm heading to N.O. next week for a bachelor party but will be there for 5 days. Any recommendations besides the obvious places would be helpful!! Just looking for historical stuff or some good food/drink. If anyone has ever been to the Old U.S. Mint is it worth checking out?

I am going with my wife on Thursday-Sunday. Will fill you in upon our return. We are doing an AirBnB in the French Quarter, prices for good hotels were 350+ even on Hotwire.

Reactions: mikefla
My favorite high end restaurant: Commander's Palace in the Garden District
My favorite mid-range restaurant: Mr. B's Bistro
Great place for oysters if you're into them: Acme Oyster House
After a few days in the Quarter, I get cagey and need to get out. Take a bayou tour (I took cajunman.com). Depressing, but you really should check out the lower 9th ward. Despite the years since Katrina, there's still residual signs of catastrophe everywhere.

another nice restaurant is Jacques Imo's. It's over in the area by Tulane...a bit away from the french qtr.

The Mint is okay. Upstairs is an art museum, which had a kind of fun folk art show when I was there in January.

My wife and I did a cemetery tour, which we hadn't done before and was pretty interesting. We also took a ride on the streetcar through the Garden District - cheap and interesting. You actually can take the streetcar more or less to Commander's Palace from downtown if you want.

I went to grad school at Tulane 20 years ago.

Outside of the French quarter I would take visitors to Snug Harbor to see Jazz, The House of Blues for Sunday Gospel Brunch and/or the WW2 museum that CabanaMan posted.

Snug Harbor is (was?) owned by the Marsalis family. Great small club for Jazz and a great meal.

If you are awake on Sunday morning at 10 the Gospel brunch is amazing - food is great and the entertainment is fantastic.

Stephen Ambrose was a professor at UNO and is primarily responsible for the WW2 museum being in New Orleans.

Also, take a cab if you go anywhere outside of the main part of the French Quarter. Only takes a few minutes to walk from a relatively safe area to a really dangerous area.

I forgot to say that Acme Oyster House was closed for renovation when I was there. It might be open by now, though.

This and the thread Fischy posted are making me f-ing salivate. And I just ate a late lunch!

Thanks all!! We're staying at the Four Points on Bourbon and already have a gator/bayou tour planned.

I'm heading to N.O. next week for a bachelor party but will be there for 5 days. Any recommendations besides the obvious places would be helpful!! Just looking for historical stuff or some good food/drink. If anyone has ever been to the Old U.S. Mint is it worth checking out?
Just got back. Places I love to:
- Muriels. Love it. Go ever time.
- Commanders Palace Jazz Brunch or anytime.
- Coops (always a line which I hate) - for the Jambalaya. It is sweeter than most. Not sure if it's the rabbit. They used to have the best calamari on the planet but stopped it because it was too labor intensive.
- I like the grilled oysters at Dragos or Basin. Basin also has crawfish and shrimp beignets that are wonderful. Basin is out in the garden district near the place below.
- One of my favorites ever in the garden district is Big Fisherman Seafood. Take out cooked crab, crawfish and shrimp. Get a few pounds of shrimp, some beers, napkins and have a picnic. I used to go to the neutral ground (median) down the road, but that was closed off last week. If there is a parade out there and you're going - stock up there.
- If you're up for a walk, go to Elizabeth's in Marigny. It's on the other side of crescent park. Great walk on the water. food is amazing (brunch) and the praline bacon is tops.
- So tried Tableau last week and it was good. There was one item worth going there for which I recreated yesterday at home. Burrata with pecan pesto and honey. It was outrageously good. Like ridiculous. Nice balcony and drinks (bees knees excellent)
- Everyone likes Port of Call burgers. I found mine raw and finely ground. Tasty as hell, but for some reason, thought it would be different.
- Cafe du Monde is fun if it's not busy. I really like their coffee with the chicory and order it for home.

- We always go to two bars: Lafittes and Checkpoint Charlies.
Lafittes is great after 9pm. They have a piano and take requests for any songs. I had him do Kung Fu Fighting one night. We generally end up there.
Checkpoint Charlies is a total dive with sketchy people and a laundromat in the back. I've seen amazing blues there. Nothing special, just single guitar guys gutting out some blues. Love it.
- DBA and a few other places always have good bands. Just walk around until you find one that works for you.

The Pharmacy Museum is on Royal St. If you're looking for original music on Bourbon Street check out Big Al Carson at Funky Pirate. Plenty more great choices if you're willing to venture from the touristy FQ. If you do, always use a cab to be safe. 5045229771 United Cabs

Try Bourne (?) restraunt in warehouse district, abt 15 minute walk from Bourbon St-Excellent food.
Cemetary tour is cool.
Swamp/alligator tour was fun.
WW2 museum worth checking out.
Famous fried chicken place I think Willie Maes- but it is in the hood.
And BIG ASS BEERS on Bourban St!!
Have fun y'all

I had this Pork Chop dish at K Pauls, my best dinner in the 3 days I was there, prices were reasonable :
http://www.kpauls.com/menus/

Blackened Stuffed Pork Chop Marchand de Vin
Tender Pork Chops Stuffed with Ricotta, Asiago, Mozzarella & Caciocavello Cheese & Fresh Basil, then Seasoned and Blackened in a Cast Iron Skillet and Served with a Marchand de Vin Sauce of Prosciutto Ham, Red Wine and Mushrooms. Served with a Stuffed Potato and Veggie

Actually going this weekend from Thursday to Sunday with a few friends just to get away for a bit. Been there probably 6-8 times at this point and is always my happy place for a few days. Just planning to enjoy St. Patrick's Day and the NCAA tournament.

Staying at the Monteleone for the first time, which has the carousel bar......great place to stop and have a couple of drinks.

Best Breakfast i have ever eaten was at ruby slipper. get chicken st charles and double mimosa. you will thank me later.

Reactions: ewc128
Best Breakfast i have ever eaten was at ruby slipper. get chicken st charles and double mimosa. you will thank me later.
Ruby slipper ain't bad. I would not rank it the best, but definitely worth hitting.

I question everything so I'm not worried about that but I am nervous I'll drink and stumble into a bad place.

Reactions: Doteman
Rent a car and take a drive to the Oak Alley Plantation. Step back into pre-civil war Louisiana and learn what it was like to live on a plantation and to be a slave on a plantation. Very eye opening and very beautifule

I was just there in January and want to go back soon.

Cafe DuMonde for coffee and beignets.. Muffaletta from Central Grocery.. Alligator cheesecake from Jacque Imos.. Crawfish and chargrilled oysters from Acme Oyster House.. Gumbo from Gumbo Shop.. Fried oysters eggs benedict from Stanley.. Frozen Irish coffee from Erin Rose.. Big ass beers, purple drink from Lafittes, and hand grenades on Bourbon Street.

We also did a cemetery tour which was cool. You buy hurricanes from the place before you go and then walk with them to the cemetery.

The one place we didn't go to that I really wanted to was Commanders Palace. Its supposed to be really good and I'm definitely going there next time in in New Orleans..

"Bet i can tell you where you got dem shoes".. just keep walking. and cab outside of the french quarter.

Even cab it in the Garden District and Riverwalk areas during the afternoon?

Even cab it in the Garden District and Riverwalk areas during the afternoon?
Cab it to garden district for sure. Streetcar maybe if it's not busy, but takes a while and weekends suck. You can walk and drink magazine st. But if you're going somewhere pretty far, cab it.

I go to NOLA frequently. Acme Oyster House, Frenchman Street for Jazz (The Spotted Cat), the World War I I Museum (best anywhere) and for something really different if you like naughty history about the birth of Jazz and Rock 'n Roll take the Treme walking tour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT