ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 3 days in/around Denver

herdof3

All American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
Need some help from the travel experts in the board.

We are going to be in Denver area for 3 days flying in from Hawaii on a Saturday before heading home. We were thinking of Boulder but realized that CU is hosting Oregon that weekend so that isn’t happening. Any other recommendations for interesting areas to go within a 2 hour drive from Denver in late September?

Not looking for anything crazy. Food, pubs, quirky museums, etc.

There are more places to see than you will have time. If you go to
Colorado Springs see, Garden of the Gods, the Olympic Train facility, Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs for food, Cliff dwellings, the Airfare Academy and if you want to splurge stay at the beautiful resort the Broader. These suggestions are all in one area 1-1/4 hrs from Denver. The city itself not very interesting.
If you like gambling Blackhawk or Central City and drive there from Denver along the beautiful scenic route 6 making sure to see Red Rocks, the Buffalo herd, and the fun lake in Evergreen.These areas are about 1 hour from Denver.

Reactions: herdof3
There are more places to see than you will have time. If you go to
Colorado Springs see, Garden of the Gods, the Olympic Train facility, Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs for food, Cliff dwellings, the Airfare Academy and if you want to splurge stay at the beautiful resort the Broader. These suggestions are all in one area 1-1/4 hrs from Denver. The city itself not very interesting.
If you like gambling Blackhawk or Central City and drive there from Denver along the beautiful scenic route 6 making sure to see Red Rocks, the Buffalo herd, and the fun lake in Evergreen.These areas are about 1 hour from Denver.
Broadmoor Hotel

The Georgetown Loop Railroad is a short but cool ride, about an hour outside of Denver. Rocky Mountain National Park is only another 30 minutes beyond that. When we visited a few years ago (pre-COVID) we did Red Rocks, Georgetown Loop, and the National Park all in one day (or it may have been two - with plenty of other stuff mixed in)

I live in Boulder. Still plan to visit here, do a morning hike in Chautauqua park then brunch on Pearl Street (I recommend The Kitchen). Right at the foot of the mountains, it can all be done walking.

Fall weather will be fantastic so get into the mountains too; all easily doable for a day trip. Georgetown Loop train as mentioned is enjoyable and a nice unique experience, especially with kids.

Or head to Breckenridge or Winter Park, both within a ~90 minute drive of Denver. Do a hike and walk their main streets (they'll both have fall festivals, music, beer gardens likely going). I recommend Tin Plate in Breckenridge or Deno's in Winter Park for food and drink.

In Denver proper, go to the Meow Wolf museum then Uchi for dinner after.

Was just there last year for a wedding and spent 5 days there. Red Rocks, going to a Rockies/Broncos/Avs/Nuggets game, tour Boulder/CU & Golden (Coors tour if you book in advance) and botanical garden are the easiest things to do in the immediate Denver area. Nothing really downtown anymore since Covid. Pike's Peak and Air Force Academy if you have time to drive to Colorado Springs. Breckenridge and Vail are nice towns 1.5-2 hours away.

I live in Boulder. Still plan to visit here, do a morning hike in Chautauqua park then brunch on Pearl Street (I recommend The Kitchen). Right at the foot of the mountains, it can all be done walking.

Fall weather will be fantastic so get into the mountains too; all easily doable for a day trip. Georgetown Loop train as mentioned is enjoyable and a nice unique experience, especially with kids.

Or head to Breckenridge or Winter Park, both within a ~90 minute drive of Denver. Do a hike and walk their main streets (they'll both have fall festivals, music, beer gardens likely going). I recommend Tin Plate in Breckenridge or Deno's in Winter Park for food and drink.

In Denver proper, go to the Meow Wolf museum then Uchi for dinner after.
From about 98-08, I used to go to Boulder once a year for business meetings with IBM and taking our client out for a weekend! Always stayed at the Boulderado and one dinner each trip was at the Flagstaff. One year, we decided to take the weekend trip with the client to Breckenridge. This was usually an mid- November trip. Which was nice in Boulder as we could usually get away with a sweater during the day. The trip out to Breckenridge, they got hit with a near blizzard that was not predicted and started after we were already in the truck heading back to Boulder. Have to say- it put the 2007 Army game trip to shame- I was shitting my pants most of that drive that took early 6 hours. lol

I’ve got a hotel suggestion for you..
Shining Stephen King GIF

Voting yes on any event at Red Rocks, Rockies game (sunset over the Rockies is special), music events and breweries nearby. Estes Park is great but a bit of a drive.

On a 3 day visit I would focus on nearby activities and limit the out of town driving trips to avoid feeling rushed.

Pretty much everything I've done in the area is covered already. Beautiful area lots of cool stuff to see and do. All depends on how much time you'll spend. Just like pretty much every good destination. Mostly hinges on your interests. Everybody is different.

I used to spend time there like twice a year and always found cool stuff to do. It'll be a good time no matter what you choose. Always looked forward to going there. Planning on taking my kids out west sometime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT