ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 3 days in Sedona / Prescott

herdof3

All American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
Don’t usually like to do this in season but will have 3 days in the Prescott/Sedona area late October. We are 60ish and in decent shape. Looking for a nice but not outlandish place to stay and some recommendations of things to do (know about pink jeep tour). Interested in a reasonable hike (4 miles or less) on one of the days. Thanks for your help

1. Grand Canyon - about 1.5 hours north

2. Red Rocks - about an hour north; stop off in Jerome, AZ and visit the only kaleidascope store in the U.S.

3. Phoenix- two hours south

Can't help with lodging but you're gonna need a car in good condition!
heh-heh

Hell yes to Grand Canyon if you have never been. You don't have to hike down far into the canyon to get the effect/views... but a river view would be about 6 miles down.. then 6 miles back up. You can start towards that and then turn back around if you find it too much. But every step down is a commitment to a more tiring step back up. It is an upside-down mountain hike.

Reactions: ashokan
Jeep tours look lame. I am always happy not to be on one when I see them driving by. The pink color fits. Much more fun to rent your own 4x4 and explore independently.

Ymmv.

Don’t usually like to do this in season but will have 3 days in the Prescott/Sedona area late October. We are 60ish and in decent shape. Looking for a nice but not outlandish place to stay and some recommendations of things to do (know about pink jeep tour). Interested in a reasonable hike (4 miles or less) on one of the days. Thanks for your help
We are well-familiar with Sedona. We have a place there, and we have been going there for 20 plus years. I would skip the Pink Jeep tour, personally.

It should be OK by then, but the town on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon had some serious flooding issues with a monsoon storm in August. We will actually be in Sedona October 17-26. Fantastic time of year.

I have a long e-mail that I send to people who go out and stay at our home that I can share with you if you message me off this board. I can't send a message as a free member.

For a hike, one of our favorites is the Chicken Point Loop, which you can pick up at the Mystic Trailhead. You can also check out the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which is built into the red rocks. It's about a 2 hour hike, 1.5 if you move more quickly. You will actually see the Pink Jeeps driving out to Chicken Point, but the hike is so much more fun.

broken-arrow-chicken-point-8.jpg

At that time of year, our favorite hike is the West Fork trailhead. Not a difficult hike. You will cross small portions of Oak Creek several times, but the scenery and the leaves changing colors juxtaposed against the red rocks are spectacular.

West Fork:

West-Fork-Trail-Sedona-Hike-To-Subway-Tunnel.jpg.optimal.jpg

26922-9176_1255935144-03.jpg

There are so many places to see (and you said Prescott/Sedona)--definitely stop in the small mountain town of Jerome. Cool views, and a favorite restaurant of ours on the top of the mountain is The Asylum, a former hospital for people with psychological issues. It was on Ghost Hunters.

IMG_2211.JPG

Last edited:
Jeep tours look lame. I am always happy not to be on one when I see them driving by. The pink color fits. Much more fun to rent your own 4x4 and explore independently.

Ymmv.

That’s a lot of effort for a three day trip. Even having your own 4x4, that’s still a tough drive up schnebly hill road for the payoff in Oak Creek Canyon.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
We are well-familiar with Sedona. We have a place there, and we have been going there for 20 plus years. I would skip the Pink Jeep tour, personally.

It should be OK by then, but the town on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon had some serious flooding issues with a monsoon storm in August. We will actually be in Sedona October 17-26. Fantastic time of year.

I have a long e-mail that I send to people who go out and stay at our home that I can share with you if you message me off this board. I can't send a message as a free member.

For a hike, one of our favorites is the Chicken Point Loop, which you can pick up at the Mystic Trailhead. You can also check out the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which is built into the red rocks. It's about a 2 hour hike, 1.5 if you move more quickly. You will actually see the Pink Jeeps driving out to Chicken Point, but the hike is so much more fun.

At that time of year, our favorite hike is the West Fork trailhead. Not a difficult hike. You will cross small portions of Oak Creek several times, but the scenery and the leaves changing colors juxtaposed against the red rocks are spectacular.

There are so many places to see (and you said Prescott/Sedona)--definitely stop in the small mountain town of Jerome. Cool views, and a favorite restaurant of ours on the top of the mountain is The Asylum, a former hospital for people with psychological issues. It was on Ghost Hunters.

Also I'm told that if you're a geology buff you should refrain from collecting samples along the public trails, as it is (inexplicably) frowned upon.

That’s a lot of effort for a three day trip. Even having your own 4x4, that’s still a tough drive up schnebly hill road for the payoff in Oak Creek Canyon.
Personally, I don't think driving up Schnebly is worth it. If you are fit and have 4 hours, the Hangover Trail Hike is one of the best hikes to do, but it is long. I've slogged up Schnebly Hill Road on my mountain bike in the snow. It's a fun ride when it's closed to the Jeeps and trucks, but not much to see when driving yourself.

Hangover Trail (not me on the bike):

7009486_medium_1554830533.jpg

nate-hangover-saddle.jpg

Tackled Bell Rock and Soldier Pass a few years ago. Bell is not far but there’s the climb at the end if you’re so inclined. IMO, not for everyone, but I liked it. Soldier Pass is a little farther than you are talking (5:5 miles) but really cool cave at the end. They’re both in Sedona area.

I’ve also done Bright Angel. I loved it but it’s pretty much switchbacks down and when you’re ready you turn around and head back up. I think more than a few folks fail to appreciate the climb back out. You’ll be working but it’s a beautiful setting if you get the right lighting.

Personally, I don't think driving up Schnebly is worth it. If you are fit and have 4 hours, the Hangover Trail Hike is one of the best hikes to do, but it is long. I've slogged up Schnebly Hill Road on my mountain bike in the snow. It's a fun ride when it's closed to the Jeeps and trucks, but not much to see when driving yourself.

Hangover Trail (not me on the bike):

7009486_medium_1554830533.jpg

nate-hangover-saddle.jpg

I’ll have to try this next time I’m in the area. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are ever heading that way, message me on this board. We are out there quite regularly. I hike with my wife, but my riding buddies have all moved or have medical issues. I love Sedona.
Will do! It’s one of my favorite places too. I’ll be back in AZ soon I’m sure.

Doesn't need to be Schnebly Hill. FR525 was also quite gorgeous but not as gnarly.

Schnebly from the other side, south of Flag, is another option and easier going to the big scenery, iirc. The worst of it is coming down into Sedona.

Isn't Oak Creek Canyon paved highway?

Doesn't need to be Schnebly Hill. FR525 was also quite gorgeous but not as gnarly.

Schnebly from the other side, south of Flag, is another option and easier going to the big scenery, iirc. The worst of it is coming down into Sedona.

Isn't Oak Creek Canyon paved highway?
You talking about 89A from FLG (airport) to Uptown Sedona? Yes.

The best place to slog in a jeep or truck is not Schnebly Hill, but to The End of the World and the Jenga rocks on a forest road off of 89A. Cooler than the Grand Canyon IMO, and less people. Plus there is a fantastic fire tower near there- @RUforester72 :

edge-of-the-world-the-knob-9.jpg

a1mfc6epcg911.jpg

You talking about 89A from FLG (airport) to Uptown Sedona? Yes.

The best place to slog in a jeep or truck is not Schnebly Hill, but to The End of the World and the Jenga rocks on a forest road off of 89A. Cooler than the Grand Canyon IMO, and less people. Plus there is a fantastic fire tower near there- @RUforester72 :

edge-of-the-world-the-knob-9.jpg

a1mfc6epcg911.jpg
Think you just planned my next trip : )

Think I might have been on route (or one of them) there. One of the FRs I camped off 89A was about halfway between Sedona and Flag across from the USFS station. Think it might connect to that area but didn't venture out that far. I did bike one of the smaller offshoot jeep roads to a pretty cool overlook area but not as stunning as that one.

Just returned from Grand Canyon yesterday and was amazed at it. Know it wasn’t included on your list but if you haven’t been you should seriously consider it.

Separately if you haven’t booked flights, consider flying out of FLG. Such an east experience (connected through PHX) but arriving 50 min was early and skipped the hassle of air trains and lines in Phoenix.

One of America's great drives is on 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona. The other way is great, too - but if you can manage the southbound direction, it is spectacular.

A 1/2 trip to Jerome is well worth the effort.

The previous suggestions on hikes are all great. One doesn't have to travel far from Sedona to go on a great hike. Depending on where you are staying, you might be able to walk or take a short drive to reach the trail head.

I think you will have your choice of places to stay in late October. I'd look on Airbnb or VRBO for a home to stay at.

Prescott (pronouced 'press-kit') is a nice enough place, but is really a fast-growing retirement center. I would skip it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
One of America's great drives is on 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona. The other way is great, too - but if you can manage the southbound direction, it is spectacular.

A 1/2 trip to Jerome is well worth the effort.

The previous suggestions on hikes are all great. One doesn't have to travel far from Sedona to go on a great hike. Depending on where you are staying, you might be able to walk or take a short drive to reach the trail head.

I think you will have your choice of places to stay in late October. I'd look on Airbnb or VRBO for a home to stay at.

Prescott (pronouced 'press-kit') is a nice enough place, but is really a fast-growing retirement center. I would skip it.
We go to Prescott to get the NJ shopping experience. Two Home Depots (maybe more now), a Lowes, a shopping mall, multiple chain restaurants. When we were shopping for furniture, hot tubs, etc for the house, we bounced between Flagstaff and Prescott. Prescott had more stores. We love downtown Flag (sometimes abbreviated DTF). Cool little city with lots of great restaurants and a college vibe with NAU in the city. It's also at least 10 degrees cooler in Flag when it is hot in Sedona, and even cooler in the many wooded parks.

For hikes in Sedona, Brinns mesa is my favorite go to Jordan trail road and turn left), easy to start but harder as you get higher. There's also cathedral which is super fun, and bell rock that is easier. Cathedral and bell rock are on Rt 179 I believe.

Agree 89A to and from Flagstaff is spectacular but as one afraid of heights, SCARY, lol. Snowball in Flagstaff is nice, if you take the ski lift to the top.

For hikes in Sedona, Brinns mesa is my favorite go to Jordan trail road and turn left), easy to start but harder as you get higher. There's also cathedral which is super fun, and bell rock that is easier. Cathedral and bell rock are on Rt 179 I believe.

Agree 89A to and from Flagstaff is spectacular but as one afraid of heights, SCARY, lol. Snowball in Flagstaff is nice, if you take the ski lift to the top.
Don't know when you last went to Sedona, but Cathedral Rock is a zoo. I would avoid it like the plague. Crowded, and often the road to the main parking area is closed off. You have to take a shuttle. Also, don't think it is all that great. However, a nicer way to view Cathedral is to park at the Little Horse Trailhead, take the Bell Rock Pathway South towards Bell Rock, hang a right on the HT trail just past the small wooden bridge, and then follow Easy Breezy trail to the back side of Cathedral Rock.

Bell Rock is OK, but also very crowded and touristy. Chicken Point hike gives great views of Bell Rock and Cathedral.

You don't have to hike down far into the canyon to get the effect/views... but a river view would be about 6 miles down.. then 6 miles back up.

One of the worst experiences of my traveling life came on a hike up Bright Angel Trail. In the middle of March - when I had not been working out at all - I played racketball for half a day. The next day was the hike back-up from Plateau Point and it was cramp city. I had big leg muscles that felt like they would rip off. I must have stopped and stretched 30 times. I learned the value of every extra ounce in a pack. People should do a practice hike up a hill to see what they feel like doing

Last edited:
One of the worst experiences of my traveling life came on a hike up Bright Angel Trail. In the middle of March - when I had not been working out at all - I played racketball for half a day. The next day was the 3000 ft hike back-up from Plateau Point and it was cramp city. I must have stopped and stretched 30 times. I learned the value of every extra ounce in a pack. People should do a practice hike up a hill to see what they feel like doing

Sounds like you got off easy playing racketball on the side of the Grand Canyon 😋

Sounds like you got off easy playing racketball on the side of the Grand Canyon 😋
To make things worse, I was playing vs a girl I was engaged to and she was like a pro player. As a ham-n-egger I was thrashed the whole time. Two days of suffering and humiliation. But I got some nice pics - and the trip helped me stay single to boot

Reactions: fsg2
The drive coming from the north to get back south to Prescott from Jerome through the Mingus Mountains provides an amazing view. However, don't get caught driving around the mountian curves when the sun goes down. That can be a scary ride.

Also forgot to add another site to see in that part of Arizona is Meteor (a.k.a. Barringer) Crater.

We did it. Call @MrsScrew .

Spent 3 days in Sedona in 2008 at the start of our 10-day tour of AZ/UT national parks and such - great trip and our son, who's now 29 just booked his flights for a similar trip with his SO - he loved that trip and always wanted to go back. Figured @Knight Shift could fill you in on everything. The one thing I could add is that we stayed at Las Posadas, just outside the town center and loved it. Great views, very nice rooms/suites - not outrageous, but not cheap ($300+ per night now). Will fourth the drive to Flagstaff (also enjoyed Flagstaff a lot too).

https://us01.iqwebbook.com/LPOSLAZ143/

Spent 3 days in Sedona in 2008 at the start of our 10-day tour of AZ/UT national parks and such - great trip and our son, who's now 29 just booked his flights for a similar trip with his SO - he loved that trip and always wanted to go back. Figured @Knight Shift could fill you in on everything. The one thing I could add is that we stayed at Las Posadas, just outside the town center and loved it. Great views, very nice rooms/suites - not outrageous, but not cheap ($300+ per night now). Will fourth the drive to Flagstaff (also enjoyed Flagstaff a lot too).

https://us01.iqwebbook.com/LPOSLAZ143/
I had not heard anyone review Los Posadas. "The Complex" across the highway has some great shops and restaurants. For the EV drivers, there is a large bank of Tesla super chargers in The Complex.

Lot of great info here. Thanks all. We have been to Grand Canyon so not heading there.

If you spend any time in Flagstaff visit the Museum of Northern Arizona. Great collection of native Americana. Also, that time of year the San Francisco Peaks are pretty spectacular with fall color.
Near Sedona, the cliff dwellings at Palatki are worth a visit (South on 89A to Forest Road 525). Lived there for 4 years and was rarely disappointed in trails other than too many people….. Soldier Pass loop was our favorite. Oh yeah, drinks and dinner at Hudsons in Sedona!

If you spend any time in Flagstaff visit the Museum of Northern Arizona. Great collection of native Americana. Also, that time of year the San Francisco Peaks are pretty spectacular with fall color.
Near Sedona, the cliff dwellings at Palatki are worth a visit (South on 89A to Forest Road 525). Lived there for 4 years and was rarely disappointed in trails other than too many people….. Soldier Pass loop was our favorite. Oh yeah, drinks and dinner at Hudsons in Sedona!
Absolutely on The Hudson! Ken's Creekside is very underrated and great. Lamb chop lollipops are fantastic. Same owners as Ken's Creekside, The Mesa Grill up on top of the hill at the Sedona airport is great, and you can sometimes catch planes taking off and landing- sunsets are magnificent!!!

To make things worse, I was playing vs a girl I was engaged to and she was like a pro player. As a ham-n-egger I was thrashed the whole time. Two days of suffering and humiliation. But I got some nice pics - and the trip helped me stay single to boot
March is a great time there. Was the top snowy? Had it warmed enough to see many waterfalls?

I went once in November.. deep snow at the rim and I went to the bottom via South Kaibab (which is kinda jarring.. steep.. but shorter), stayed in the bunkhouse and climbed up the next day via Bright Angel. And once in.. hmm.. June? Went out to Indian Point and back up same day. Was mid-to-late 30s for both.. luckily no cramping.

My only Sedona experience was a little Cesna flight from Phoenix just to land at the aircraft-carrier-style airport on a butte. Some fantastic views, of course. We passed over some hot air balloon event.

OP is gonna have a memorable time, I am certain, after reading this thread.

Last edited:
1. Grand Canyon - about 1.5 hours north

2. Red Rocks - about an hour north; stop off in Jerome, AZ and visit the only kaleidascope store in the U.S.

3. Phoenix- two hours south

Can't help with lodging but you're gonna need a car in good condition!
heh-heh

You don't need to be a hiker to appreciate the Grand Canyon. It is one place that more than lives up to the hype. Walking up to the ridge and seeing it . . . one of the most breathtaking things I've ever seen. One lady near me teared up. It's something.

March is a great time there. Was the top snowy? Had it warmed enough to see many waterfalls?

I went once in November.. deep snow at the rim and I went to the bottom via South Kaibab (which is kinda jarring.. steep.. but shorter), stayed in the bunkhouse and climbed up the next day via Bright Angel. And once in.. hmm.. June? Went out to Indian Point and back up same day. Was mid-to-late 30s for both.. luckily no cramping.

My only Sedona experience was a little Cesna flight from Phoenix just to land at the aircraft-carrier-style airport on a butte. Some fantastic views, of course. We passed over some hot air balloon event.

OP is gonna have a memorable time, I am certain, after reading this thread.

Yes there was snow at the rim.
I was staying in Prescott and was surprised how cool it was - thinking AZ was about deserts.
At the bottom of my hike it was considerably hotter
I don't remember any waterfalls but I do remember panning gold in a nice brook in Prescott.
A problem I learned about steep hikes is that going down is hard on the toes since they slam into toe box.
I didn't have that problem on Bright Angel and first experienced it on Mt Beacon in Hudson Valley .
I'm more of a mountain biker than hiker

You don't need to be a hiker to appreciate the Grand Canyon. It is one place that more than lives up to the hype. Walking up to the ridge and seeing it . . . one of the most breathtaking things I've ever seen. One lady near me teared up. It's something.
Agreed. We took our kids when they were 5 and 3. Not the age to have the full appreciation of the spectacle. We went up to the ridge, and 30 seconds later, the kids said, "OK, let's go." We stayed for several hours, and they got antsy.

What - wasn’t hot enough for you this week?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT