ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2023-2024 Off Season Thread

Captain leading the way:

Get rid of analytics or fire Cashman!

-----

And that need for improvement also falls to the team's analytics department. Judge said players are getting the numbers, but he questioned if they were getting "the right numbers."

"I think it's just about how we use [analytics] and how we value them is an aspect that we just maybe need to look at again," Judge told reporters. "The Yankees are top-notch in the numbers we get. I think we're the best in the game at that. I think it's about funneling those down to the players in the right format.

"I wouldn't say [we are] overloaded. I think it's just looking at the right numbers. I think maybe we might be looking at the wrong ones. We need to value some other ones that people might see as having no value."

Reactions: RutgersChow
I swear if I tune in next year and Stanton is batting anywhere near the top of the lineup I'm turning the game off.

Captain leading the way:

-----

And that need for improvement also falls to the team's analytics department. Judge said players are getting the numbers, but he questioned if they were getting "the right numbers."

"I think it's just about how we use [analytics] and how we value them is an aspect that we just maybe need to look at again," Judge told reporters. "The Yankees are top-notch in the numbers we get. I think we're the best in the game at that. I think it's about funneling those down to the players in the right format.

"I wouldn't say [we are] overloaded. I think it's just looking at the right numbers. I think maybe we might be looking at the wrong ones. We need to value some other ones that people might see as having no value."
The problem is that there are maybe a handfull of Managers that still coach the old school way. And they are pretty much all over 60.
Analytics are here to stay- I only hope that there can be a middle ground.

Who do you guys think would be a good replacement for Boone?

Did anyone see the winning pitcher for the Texas Rangers yesterday? I sure hope the audit company Hal hired got a nice look!

Trading Monte has not turned out so well. Also - have you seen Hick's stats with the O's? 100 point higher average and all of his other production stats are much much higher as well.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Trading Monte has not turned out so well. Also - have you seen Hick's stats with the O's? 100 point higher average and all of his other production stats are much much higher as well.
It's obvious that the Cashman way doesn't work, well except for Brian Cashman...

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Hicks had a higher BA with the Birds than any Yankee this season. 😳
I don't have any problem with the Yanks dumping Hicks. His contract was a joke to begin with.
He got way more chances than he deserved. And his producttion went from minimal to a minus as he even started to suck on defense.
I honestly was pissed that they waited so long to send his ass packing.

Reactions: RUmonster
I don't have any problem with the Yanks dumping Hicks. His contract was a joke to begin with.
He got way more chances than he deserved. And his producttion went from minimal to a minus as he even started to suck on defense.

The bigger issue is why he was not successful. Some will blame it on the pressure of NYC but I'm wondering if it is how the Yankees Analytics Department lead the way in instructing him to hit with a certain launch angle.

No arguments Hicks outlived his usefulness in the Bronx. However, I only mention it because, and as others already pointed out, it speaks volumes how that reclamation project outhit the entire NYY roster in BA. Their batting this season has been atrocious. Clearly something is rotten in the Bronx, whether it be their analytics or availability of Major League level hitting instruction.

Captain leading the way:

-----

And then Fat A$$ Francesa said he should have kept his mouth shut. Mike needs just to give it all up. He's totally out of it.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I don't see the Yankees doing much to change things up. The typical "recent" Yankee was is to let people heal and give them a 2nd/3rd chance to live up to their hype or contract. Hence all the chances for Hicks, Sanchez and now Stanton. I think for the most part they will let the kids play some more, get a guy like Kiermaier as a CF stop gap, get a 6th starter, add a couple of bullpen pieces. Bellinger? Maybe, I guess. Depends upon if they want to save the money they're losing or reinvest it.

Captain leading the way:

-----

Forget analytics. Just replace Cashman with someone who knows what a good player looks like because that idiot has no idea.

First example of not doing enough to change: audit of organization practices is not gonna happen

Forget analytics. Just replace Cashman with someone who knows what a good player looks like because that idiot has no idea.

The issue is not all due to analytics. The issue is leadership decision making and how to properly incorporate the analysis. Cashman has run his course, but will still be here as he was extended contractually through 2026.

The issue is not all due to analytics. The issue is leadership decision making and how to properly incorporate the analysis. Cashman has run his course, but will still be here as he was extended contractually through 2026.
The issues were many....including every starter not named Cole going down, Stanton becoming a .200 hitter, Lemahieu becoming a .240 hitter, Rizzo becoming the worst hitter in the league before going down, Judge getting hurt, Gallo and Hicks becoming zeros with bats in their hands, and the unsettling fact that most of the prospects brought up from the minors couldn't produce much offensively...except for the Martian...who quickly got hurt.
Difficult to watch....and IMO impossible to overcome.
Wait 'til next year.
Oh...and go Phillies. 😀

• Haha
The problem is that there are maybe a handfull of Managers that still coach the old school way. And they are pretty much all over 60.
Analytics are here to stay- I only hope that there can be a middle ground.

Who do you guys think would be a good replacement for Boone?
You cry about Yankees fans on your constant complaining Mets Thread but constantly troll here with stupid questions about negative issues on the Yankees. Go back to the Mets thread! Hopefully your wish of the mods taking control will come true as I'm tired of your act, hope you never post here again.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Years past, if anyone hit around 230 or 240 you really thought they were scrubs. Now with these Yankees, if someone hit 230 or 240 you’re dancing till midnight. And I I have never seen a team hit so poorly over the course of a year spot so many players hovering around the Mendoza line. it’s really unheard of.

Reactions: Kbee3
Years past, if anyone hit around 230 or 240 you really thought they were scrubs. Now with these Yankees, if someone hit 230 or 240 you’re dancing till midnight. And I I have never seen a team hit so poorly over the course of a year spot so many players hovering around the Mendoza line. it’s really unheard of.
They have been making the playoffs every year but it wasn't entertaining and the fans were not fooled. We saw the ultimate goal would never be attained.
The rumor is the NY Yankees will not be hiring an audit company after all. Cashman and his idiot gang are going to audit themselves. What a joke.

With 20/20 hindsight, the Yankees should not have let Rob Thomson escape to Philadelphia.

Hicks was so bad near the end of his time with the Yankees that they had him play left field and Judge play center. Sure enough in one game he misplayed a ball near the foul line that literally fell at his feet...in fair territory. And what did he do....nothing....just stand there stunned for the longest time while the runners circled the bases and the crowd booed. That's when I knew he was done.

I think the Yanks add Bellinger and that Japanese pitcher.

I think the Yanks add Bellinger and that Japanese pitcher.
The one who damaged his arm? Well. Cashman
likes to make rich injured players even richer,
I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot poll, not for that kind of money.

I can't think of anything to say in the 2023-24 offseason thread that I didn't say in the 2022-23 offseason thread. Same problems, same incompetents running the organization, same issues that won't get fixed ... I expect similar results next year.

I can't think of anything to say in the 2023-24 offseason thread that I didn't say in the 2022-23 offseason thread. Same problems, same incompetents running the organization, same issues that won't get fixed ... I expect similar results next year.
Unfortunately, after the rumors that the Yankees will not let an outside company do the audit of operations and do it internally, I have no hope for any real improvement.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
You cry about Yankees fans on your constant complaining Mets Thread but constantly troll here with stupid questions about negative issues on the Yankees. Go back to the Mets thread! Hopefully your wish of the mods taking control will come true as I'm tired of your act, hope you never post here again.
Dude, seriously? I only joined in on a conversation and with nothing negative. If I were a Yankee fan and had the same post, you would have no issue with it.
Sometimes, just relax and see I am not trolling or even posting anything remotely negative?
Someone else posted to get away from analytics…I actually agree and hate them as they are used. But, there just aren’t many current managers under 60 that know how to manage the old way.
Maybe just have a conversation and don’t look at the hat.

Dude, seriously? I only joined in on a conversation and with nothing negative. If I were a Yankee fan and had the same post, you would have no issue with it.
Sometimes, just relax and see I am not trolling or even posting anything remotely negative?
Someone else posted to get away from analytics…I actually agree and hate them as they are used. But, there just aren’t many current managers under 60 that know how to manage the old way.
Maybe just have a conversation and don’t look at the hat.
Dude. Everyone one of your posts is about a negative issue with the Yankees. Replacement for Boone? Yankees fans know two things. Boone wasn't fired, he is coming back. Yankees issues are above Boone. He and any other manager will work for Cashman and the analytics team.
You and your friend num nuts counting visits of Yankees fans is hilarious. One it's childish. Two he can't count past 20 as he will run out of fingers and toes.
Got back to the Mets thread and keep crying. Close the door behind you leave this thread for good. It's what you are asking the mods to do!

• Haha
The one who damaged his arm? Well. Cashman
likes to make rich injured players even richer,
I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot poll, not for that kind of money.
Yoshinobu Yamamoto is the pitcher I mentioned.
It seems to be between the Yankees and the Mets for his services.

Yoshinobu Yamamoto is the pitcher I mentioned.
It seems to be between the Yankees and the Mets for his services.
It will be a heck of a battle if both teams are the ones going hardest for him. Kid is supposed to be better than Senga, who had a heck of a year, plus he is only 25

It will be a heck of a battle if both teams are the ones going hardest for him. Kid is supposed to be better than Senga, who had a heck of a year, plus he is only 25
I don't think the Yankees are going to beat out the Mets for Yamamoto. The Mets owner seems much more willing to spend big time on this guy than the Yankees are. And the Mets have a far greater need for a guy like this in their rotation.
The Yankees have surely recognized their need for offense by now....particularly lefthanded hitters.

I don't think the Yankees are going to beat out the Mets for Yamamoto. The Mets owner seems much more willing to spend big time on this guy than the Yankees are. And the Mets have a far greater need for a guy like this in their rotation.
The Yankees have surely recognized their need for offense by now....particularly lefthanded hitters.
You may be right though, having another reliable starter would also benefit the Yanks. Outside of Cole and hopefully, King; who can be relied on next year?

You may be right though, having another reliable starter would also benefit the Yanks. Outside of Cole and hopefully, King; who can be relied on next year?
I think it's a safe bet that Nestor Cortes will be back healthy in the Spring. Rodon and Schmidt will probably make up the rest of the starters. I think they'll probably sign Montas to a one-year prove- it deal and give him a shot in March at making the rotation, as well as Randy Vasquez and Jhony Brito.
Two other possibilities...but probably a year away.... are Chase Hampton and Drew Thorpe who both excelled at Double A and look to have very bright futures. Let's hope it's with the Yanks and they aren't included in any trade for someone like Juan Soto.

Last edited:
I think it's a safe bet that Nestor Cortes will be back healthy in the Spring. Rodon and Schmidt will probably make up the rest of the starters. I think they'll probably sign Montas to a one-year prove- it deal and give him a shot in March at making the rotation, as well as Randy Vasquez and Jhony Brito.
Two other possibilities...but probably a year away.... are Chase Hampton and Drew Thorpe who both excelled at Double A and look to have very bright futures. Let's hope it's with the Yanks and they aren't included in any trade for someone like Juan Soto.
BTW- you were right on needing a left handed bat. Yanks are usually pretty solid in the middle relief too. I just don't know if I would feel all that good on the starters after Cole going on the years they had this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT