ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2023-2024 Off Season Thread

Padres fan checking in here, slightly different take than @colbert17 but I can 100% understand why he feels the way he does.

The walks were there, but so were moments where you would say “you’re Soto, swing the freaking bat.”

Right move by Preller to trade him, filled some spots that we needed. I do think he’s going to crush it as a Yankee.

I think it would have been awesome to have Soto for one more year, but there were reports down the stretch that he was a “me first” guy. Maybe that was BS leaking from the front office, but who knows.

If you guys do plan on signing him, you should expect to be overpaying for a DH. The gold glove he got a couple years ago was comical. Sometimes that bat is insane though, when he starts hitting for power oppo it’s nuts.

Padres fan checking in here, slightly different take than @colbert17 but I can 100% understand why he feels the way he does.

The walks were there, but so were moments where you would say “you’re Soto, swing the freaking bat.”

Right move by Preller to trade him, filled some spots that we needed. I do think he’s going to crush it as a Yankee.

I think it would have been awesome to have Soto for one more year, but there were reports down the stretch that he was a “me first” guy. Maybe that was BS leaking from the front office, but who knows.

If you guys do plan on signing him, you should expect to be overpaying for a DH. The gold glove he got a couple years ago was comical. Sometimes that bat is insane though, when he starts hitting for power oppo it’s nuts.
We have a long history of overpaying for DHs! :)
Seriously, happy with the situation. Walk year, so prove it. If he doesn't have a good year, let him go. If he goes Judge 2022, sign him.

Last edited:
Seriously, happy with the situation. Walk year, so prove it. If he doesn't have a good year, let me know. If he goes Judge 2022, sign him.
That was my thing, I wanted him in his contract year so badly.

Plus hitting in Yankee stadium, the dude is going to hit bombs.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

I thought the Padres had to trade him because of finances. He's a free agent at the end of next season, the team is struggling with payroll, and he's set to get a record contract from somebody.
Michael Kay liked the Yankees chances of signing him then if next season goes well.

Seriously, happy with the situation. Walk year, so prove it. If he doesn't have a good year, let me know. If he goes Judge 2022, sign him.
Honestly I think you guys getting Grish is the best part of the deal.

He’s blind at the plate, but he’s great defensively. He covers so much turf, put him in CF and tell Judge and Soto every ball is his.

I thought the Padres had to trade him because of finances. He's a free agent at the end of next season, the team is struggling with payroll, and he's set to get a record contract from somebody.
Michael Kay liked the Yankees chances of signing him then if next season goes well.
They didn’t NEED to trade him, but we had a lot of holes that just didn’t seem realistic to make it all work.

I also don’t think Snell is completely out of the picture for the Padres.

I think Sanchez and Snell is the next news we hear for the Padres.

I don’t think we should sign one without the other. Getting that done basically sets the rotation.
Who else do we have for the rotation besides Yu and Java Joe? Martinez is gone and Wacha and Lugo are looking elsewhere.

Who else do we have for the rotation besides Yu and Java Joe? Martinez is gone and Wacha and Lugo are looking elsewhere.
Avila will be the arm I think they roll with and Waldron for bullpen games IMO.

Soto will hit 40 HRs and drive in 100 for the Yanks but I'm still glad he's gone. Just hope a couple of these pitchers pan out.
Tough to give up pitching for a one year rental. Yanks have more to do with their roster as well. Hope Cashman doesn't sit back and celebrate this move.
Where does Soto bat in the order? In front of or behind Judge?

Tough to give up pitching for a one year rental. Yanks have more to do with their roster as well. Hope Cashman doesn't sit back and celebrate this move.
Cashman and Hal need to sign Admiral Yamamoto and all will be good.

Reactions: Kbee3
I normally would bat the better runner ahead of the other, but I would not want to risk it with Judge. But on the other hand I hate Judge's solo homers, so with Soto's ability to
frequently walk I will go with Judge batting after Soto . What we need is to have two batters that get on base for Judge so let us do away with Judge batting second. I have a fear
we will see Judge 2nd in the order again, because Cashman has no clue and the manager is just a Yes Man.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDave_01
I normally would bat the better runner ahead of the other, but I would not want to risk it with Judge. But on the other hand I hate Judge's solo homers, so with Soto's ability to
frequently walk I will go with Judge batting after Soto . What we need is to have two batters that get on base for Judge so let us do away with Judge batting second. I have a fear
we will see Judge 2nd in the order again, because Cashman has no clue and the manager is just a Yes Man.
Soto will be batting 2nd for you guys.

Oh I should also mention, he has a weird thing going on with his hand.

I’m sure it was covered in medicals and all that, but sometimes he’ll take a hack at a pitch and appear to be in pain shaking his hand.

It cleared up towards the end of the season, but it was really weird for a little in the middle of the season. Enough to the point where I thought he should get time off.

Will be something to watch.

Cashman and Hal need to sign Admiral Yamamoto and all will be good.
That's my take.
Also, as I posted above, Michael Kay opined last night that....given that Soto has a good season...the Yankees should be able to sign him to a new contract.

Gave up a lot of pitching to get Soto, so they either expect Nestor and Rodon at 100%, or they're taking a hell of a chance.

Cohen will drive up the $$$ for the Japanese dude, so he won't be cheap.
Go get Snell.

Gave up a lot of pitching to get Soto, so they either expect Nestor and Rodon at 100%, or they're taking a hell of a chance.

Cohen will drive up the $$$ for the Japanese dude, so he won't be cheap.
Go get Snell.
how much would Montgomery look great in the rotation right now? I'm not sure the Yanks go after Snell- too Rodon like, though, 2 CY's do look good but he doesn't always make it through a year.
I do think Nestor is pretty good this year and Rodon- may not be worth the money but could still have a solid year- I think another number 3 type guy may make sense.
My guy tells me that Yamamoto signs with the Mets but the price tag will be crazy.

Yamamoto first, if that doesn't happen get Monty. They need someone after trading away all of their pitching depth.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Well we have Michael King now.
Avila did have a nice second half last year.
1. Yu
2. Java Joe
3. King
4. Avila
5. Waldron?

Where does Ohtani fit in here? 😁

Any Yankee fans have the scoop on these pitchers we just got? Did we get fleeced?

1. Yu
2. Java Joe
3. King
4. Avila
5. Waldron?

Any Yankee fans have the scoop on these pitchers we just got? Did we get fleeced?
NY papers say that King would have been in the rotation, Thorpe might be a factor by the end of the year while Brito is a middle innings bullpen guy.
Higgy behind the plate is an excellent defender and a real team guy. I remember him from years ago when he played in Trenton. Super good guy.
Pads obviously need to find 1/2 more starters. Hope Snell can come back with the money saved with Soto.
Where we got fleeced was with Washington getting Abrams and Gore in the first place. Preller is so over rated. Outside of the Shields/Tatis trade has he ever pulled of a great trade? Even Musgrove he gave up Bednar who turned into an All Star closer

Someone help me here...who's the kid that got called up in September and ended up having major surgery.

Name escapes me.

When he returns, can he play 1B because we know Rizzo will break down at some point.

Yamamoto first, if that doesn't happen get Monty. They need someone after trading away all of their pitching depth.
They still have some pretty interesting prospects in the minors.
Hampton and Warren are two of them.

1. Yu
2. Java Joe
3. King
4. Avila
5. Waldron?

King has very good stuff. I think they say 3+ pitches. Was excellent in relief. Projected to be a 2-3 starter longer term. The rest in the trade are wild cards. Higgy manages a staff well and is a glue guy. He has some pop but generally has really struggled at the plate.

Someone help me here...who's the kid that got called up in September and ended up having major surgery.

Name escapes me.

When he returns, can he play 1B because we know Rizzo will break down at some point.

Would not think 1B would be a target for Dominguez. He's rated high as a 5 tool CF. Not projected to return from elbow surgery until late in the season at best. Will probably see a rotation of DJ at 1B unless they make another move.

Reactions: WhiteBus
King has very good stuff. I think they say 3+ pitches. Was excellent in relief. Projected to be a 2-3 starter longer term. The rest in the trade are wild cards. Higgy manages a staff well and is a glue guy. He has some pop but generally has really struggled at the plate.
Higashioka was mediocre at best behind the plate this past season.
Weak throwing out base runners and preventing passed balls/wild pitches combined with an inferior bat is a bad combination. His time here was done.

Yeah Higgy will be our #2 behind the plate, Campusano will get most starts.

Really excited to see what happens with Thorpe, have a feeling that’s going to be the gem in this deal.

I’m happy the deal was all about pitchers for us. Ruben Niebla is a straight up wizard and happy we got him some shiny new toys to play with.

NY papers say that King would have been in the rotation, Thorpe might be a factor by the end of the year while Brito is a middle innings bullpen guy.
Higgy behind the plate is an excellent defender and a real team guy. I remember him from years ago when he played in Trenton. Super good guy.
Pads obviously need to find 1/2 more starters. Hope Snell can come back with the money saved with Soto.
Where we got fleeced was with Washington getting Abrams and Gore in the first place. Preller is so over rated. Outside of the Shields/Tatis trade has he ever pulled of a great trade? Even Musgrove he gave up Bednar who turned into an All Star closer
I’m a huge fan of CJ Abrams, but what were we going to do with him? We have like 8 SS on the roster.

I also don’t really put much stock in the recent moves from Preller, it’s clear he and the front office were aware Seidler was in borrowed time and they were trying to win one before his time was up.

If there’s anything that upset me in recent years it was the X signing that just made absolutely no sense. I do expect him to have a solid year this season though

Yeah Higgy will be our #2 behind the plate, Campusano will get most starts.

Really excited to see what happens with Thorpe, have a feeling that’s going to be the gem in this deal.

I’m happy the deal was all about pitchers for us. Ruben Niebla is a straight up wizard and happy we got him some shiny new toys to play with.
I really didn't wanna see King or Thorpe go. Both have a chance to be real good.
Also, don't sleep on Vasquez. He didn't disappoint whenever the Yankees gave him a start.
That's a lot to give up for what could be one year of Soto.

I really didn't wanna see King or Thorpe go. Both have a chance to be real good.
Also, don't sleep on Vasquez. He didn't disappoint whenever the Yankees gave him a start.
That's a lot to give up for what could be one year of Soto.
It’s interesting because Soto seemed like the type that needs stability. He really struggled early on IMO because he’s young and wasn’t prepared for a change in scenery.

I hope he crushes it for you guys. I’ll miss hearing “good morning” on social media during spring training 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT