ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2023-2024 Off Season Thread

I didn't write this but it's a cut and paste job from the MLB site:

A club that exceeds the Competitive Balance Tax threshold is subject to an increasing tax rate depending on how many consecutive years it has done so.

First year: 20 percent tax on all overages

Second consecutive year: 30 percent

Third consecutive year or more: 50 percent

There’s also a surcharge threshold for clubs that exceed the base threshold by $20 million or more.

$20 million to $40 million: 12 percent surcharge

$40 million to $60 million: 42.5 percent surcharge for first year; 45 percent for each consecutive year after that

$60 million or more: 60 percent surcharge

Cashman must have thought he was getting a steal because the money really wasn't that big and he was coming off a good year. Ultimately it was a total tank job.

Reactions: MitchLL
The list of players that turned one or two big years into a fat 4/5/6 year contract keeps growing.

NYY certainly have gotten their share of these.

Hicks isn't the first and probably won't be the last.

The list of players that turned one or two big years into a fat 4/5/6 year contract keeps growing.

NYY certainly have gotten their share of these.

Hicks isn't the first and probably won't be the last.
it really wan't the money that was the issue, it was the years. 5 years would have been more reasonable and we would have been out of the contract by now.

it really wan't the money that was the issue, it was the years. 5 years would have been more reasonable and we would have been out of the contract by now.
The Hicks contract, the
Miami deal for muscle man, and the Boston guy who came to so
little games, I can't remember his name, were some of the worst deals ever made, all done by By Cashman.
and he is still at it, buying players who have a questionable history.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
You definitely have to rank the stupid moves in order of horribleness. My top 3 would be:

1) Stanton - there was no way this contract was going to be good near the end, he fell off the cliff even sooner than expected
2) Ellsbury - sucked and hardly played
3) Sonny Gray - had no ability to play in NY, got lucky that the 3 pieces he traded away got hurt

You definitely have to rank the stupid moves in order of horribleness. My top 3 would be:

1) Stanton - there was no way this contract was going to be good near the end, he fell off the cliff even sooner than expected
3) Sonny Gray - had no ability to play in NY, got lucky that the 3 pieces he traded away got hurt
Agree with 1&2 - would also agree with 3 if Gray was finished, but he ended up just not being able to play in NY. And that is difficult to know until they get here. But the guy is a good talent- so hard to go 100% on him- maybe 50…Gallo was much worse

Carl Pavano? :)

Wandy Peralta signs 4-year deal with San Diego.
I can't figure why the Yankees didn't resign him.

Reactions: MitchLL
4 years is a lot for a reliever. I'm surprised anyone would give a middle reliever that much even if he's good.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
His contract has 3 opt out clauses, one after year of the contract! I've never heard of this in my life. Basically, if he has a good year, he hits free agency again. If he doesn't, the Padres are stuck eating his contract for another 3 years.

His contract has 3 opt out clauses, one after year of the contract! I've never heard of this in my life. Basically, if he has a good year, he hits free agency again. If he doesn't, the Padres are stuck eating his contract for another 3 years.
He did have many good moments last season.

Baseball America released their 2024 Top 100 minor league prospects.
The list includes 6 Yankees:
Jasson Dominguez
Spencer Jones
Everson Pereira
Roderick Arias
Austin Wells
Chase Hampton
The Yankees minor league system is rated # 9.
Pretty good after all the prospects traded away recently.

Reactions: Rhuarc
The next manager needs to be somebody who is a non-organization guy who will push back at management and fight back against the status quo.

And that ain't happening I'm sure!

The next manager needs to be somebody who is a non-organization guy who will push back at management and fight back against the status quo.

And that ain't happening I'm sure!
With so much money invested in salaries by so many teams, the days of managing by their gut feelings are OVER. Pushing back against what the GM tells you are OVER. The computer and analytics rules the day. The managers main job is to keep the clubhouse non toxic and the players motivated. Gone are the days of Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, Bobby Valentine,Lou Pinella,Jim Leyland and Larry Bowa. They are the dinosaurs of a era I grew up with and loved. Today, managers use a forking binder, issued by their GM, totally sucks!

Reactions: 93RUDoc
With so much money invested in salaries by so many teams, the days of managing by their gut feelings are OVER. Pushing back against what the GM tells you are OVER. The computer and analytics rules the day. The managers main job is to keep the clubhouse non toxic and the players motivated. Gone are the days of Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, Bobby Valentine,Lou Pinella,Jim Leyland and Larry Bowa. They are the dinosaurs of a era I grew up with and loved. Today, managers use a forking binder, issued by their GM, totally sucks!
Without analytics, the franchise won 27 WS championships. With analytics, that number is 0. Time to move on from that garbage.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Without analytics, the franchise won 27 WS championships. With analytics, that number is 0. Time to move on from that garbage.
I'm thinking that the MLB luxury tax had more to do with the current championship drought than analytics. Although I doubt the tax would have held George back from spending.

I'm thinking that the MLB luxury tax had more to do with the current championship drought than analytics. Although I doubt the tax would have held George back from spending.
Disagree. It's the way they are instructed to hit. Everyone swing for the fences, don't worry about strikeouts. Come playoff time you are only going against the teams best pitchers and they can't advance.

Sounds like the Yanks made another/new offer to Snell.
He really has nowhere else to go. Yankees will most likely get him for much cheaper than his original offer. Will help the rotation a lot I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT