ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Free Agency/Trades

Re: Jonathan Casillas Pats, New Brunswick

Originally posted by MrsScrew:
my sources tell me that he is 99% signed with the Giants....so more than rumors at this point. almost a done deal.
You have NFL sources now too?

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
Can anyone explain any of the Eagles moves this off season??
I think Kelly got outbid for Maclin.
Shady is a bit of a dick and might not fit in and has had MANY carries and is nearing 30 for a RB
Foles trade? I don't think Kelly likes Foles (Personal or professional or both) and likes Bradford.
Resigning Sanchez as backup quickly indicates he's sticking with Bradford and needs insurance.

I'm an Eagles fan and it's interesting to say the least.

Originally posted by RUMcMahon:
Chip Kelly is the best thing to happen to the Giants since Scott Norwood (courtesy of Twitter).
As a Giant fan I love these moves. Never cared for the Eagles. As a matter of fact don't care
for the 76s, the Phillies, or Flyers. I'm all Yanks, Knicks, and Giants, and Devils over anyone else
in hockey. Oh yeah and Rutgers. I'm glad I'm not from south Jersey, look at all the championships
I would have missed out on rooting for Philadelphia teams.

Originally posted by vm7118:

Originally posted by ntlrock1:
you cannot be serious....sam bradford hasnt been healthy his entire career and as a giants fan youre citing that he's more mobile than foles? uhhh yeah maybe in a vacuum, but in the NFL hes made of glass. rolling out sam bradford....is a bad idea. you just compared him to aaron rodgers. ohhhh boy i think something's wrong there. and mark sanchez is mark sanchez lol. no other words needed on that

There's no denying the eagles lost their 3 best playmakers in 3 seasons (djax, maclin, mccoy) that's like the Giants getting rid of Beckham cruz and eli for sh*ts and giggs...theyre going to replace all that production in one offseason using the moneyball mantra? i dont think so...

It's pretty unbelievable the cockiness that kelly is displaying, who does he think he is, some kind of bellichick? your system isn't above the league this is the NFL not Oregon, and teams will start figuring it out epecially now that he has less firepower. kelly has ruined the eagles (thank god) and he's going to be back coaching college in less than 2 years, take it to the bank.

he overpaid maxwell with a contract like hes an all pro when hes a #2 corner who had over the top help from 2 of the best safeties in chancellor and earl thomas...the eagles still have nothing on defense and no secondary

as a giants fan, chip kelly is my hero! and the eagles championship count will remain at ZERO!!

This post was edited on 3/11 12:32 AM by ntlrock1

This post was edited on 3/11 12:32 AM by ntlrock1
sorry, another giants fan here, and i'm going to have to disagree. chip kelly has already won many games in the nfl with foles and sanchez at qb. bradford is an upgrade in terms of talent. will he stay healthy? probably not, but foles has been injured almost half his career too - 22 out of 48 games he's been in the league. and we all know mariota is the big play here. if they can't land mariota, bradford/sanchez is better than foles/sanchez.

when's the last time oregon had a top tier running back where they grounded and pounded all game? lamichael james? that's not how kelly runs his teams. why pay money to shady mccoy when they can plug in any serviceable back and spend that cash elsewhere? kelly isn't dumb - he's going to do it his way, so if he wins everyone knows it was because of him. he wasn't brought to the NFL to follow the conventional wisdom. if he fails, he fails (i hope he does), but he will go out swinging.
I'm convinced by both of you and you disagree. I will say this, I will be paying a lot of attention to them between now and the end of next year. It's gonna be interesting.

Originally posted by NickKnight 1:

Originally posted by RUMcMahon:
Chip Kelly is the best thing to happen to the Giants since Scott Norwood (courtesy of Twitter).
As a Giant fan I love these moves. Never cared for the Eagles. As a matter of fact don't care
for the 76s, the Phillies, or Flyers. I'm all Yanks, Knicks, and Giants, and Devils over anyone else
in hockey. Oh yeah and Rutgers. I'm glad I'm not from south Jersey, look at all the championships
I would have missed out on rooting for Philadelphia teams.
Yeah. Sigh.

A huge Giants fan here. They seem asleep at the wheel.

Loving the moves the Jaguars are making. They have a ton of money and are spending it on young guys that have played allot. They have Bortles at QB and the third pick in the draft so timing was right to go big in free agency. Day one they got Denver tight end Julius Thomas, Dallas right tackle Jermey Parnell, Miami defensive end Jared Odrick, San Francisco linebacker Dan Skuta, Green Bay cornerback Davon House and Indianapolis free safety Sergio Brown and its reportedly between them and Oakland for Demarco Murray.

It would add two huge weapons for Bortles in Murray and Thomas as well as solidifying a solid solid defense with young players. Add in a high impact draft pick at number 3 and they seem to be moving in the right direction.

DeSean: Poor culture fit
McCoy: Too much $ at the RB position; way too many critical fumbles for a feature back
Maclin: Wanted to keep, but J-Mac wanted more $ and found it in his home state (Mizzou) playing for the guy who drafted him (Reid)
Maxwell: Perfect fit for press, cover-1/3 (Eagles run very similar defense to Seahawks -- it'll be plug-n-play)
Thurmond: (see 'Maxwell', above)

Foles/Bradford:
The case against Foles -
Foles had a historically great season followed by a historically horrific season. Yes, the OL had significant injuries, but there are plenty of fansites that parse the all-22 film and one thing is clear: Foles had enough time. Teams stacked the box a lot more this year and played a lot more press man, daring Foles to throw downfield. Foles just wasn't up to the challenge and threw off his back foot which led to several interceptions. He has a decent arm, but he doesn't throw with enough power to get away with poor footwork. And for Chip Kelly, this spelled the end of Foles -- Kelly has little tolerance for turnovers.

The case for Bradford -

Assuming that Chip Kelly is 'okay' with continuing to run a sort-of watered down version of the offense he ran at Oregon (and barring any further injuries!), Bradford has the potential to fit like a glove in Kelly's offense. After all, Bradford won the Heisman running a similar version of the spread at Oklahoma. On the flipside, he was extremely unprepared to take the reigns of the pro-style offense that the Rams were running. Ironically, his former coach (Pat Shurmur) is now the Eagles' offensive coordinator. I would think Pat had significant insight and input with regards to that trade.

Now my own personal football experience is limited to HS varsity, a billion hours on PlayStation, and a billion more hours on Xs & Os websites. That said, I am fairly comfortable saying that if Bradford can stay healthy, he could have a career year in Philly. After all, DeSean, LeSean, Maclin, and Foles all did under Kelly. Plus he was able to develop The Sanchize into a solid back-up.

I honestly hate most of the moves, but the moves aren't completely unfounded.

OT: Nick Foles for Sam Bradford

OT: Nick Foles for Sam Bradford is this a good deal or not?

Rumors of Brees to Tampa Bay.

Re: OT: Nick Foles for Sam Bradford

Free board is thattaway . . .

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

my sources tell me that he is 99% signed with the Giants....so more than rumors at this point. almost a done deal.
You have NFL sources now too?
Oddly, yes, in this case its seems as if I do. So there.
tongue.r191677.gif

An Eagles fan here, and I'm pissed!

Very good summary miketd1. In addition to what you said, there is the resigning of Brandon Graham, who was a very good pass rusher in limited snaps last year. He'll be a starter this year and should put better numbers then Cole did. An added bonus is that the Eagles prevented him from signing with the Giants.

For Jackson, another thing is he didn't want to block at all. Chip wants receivers who can block in his system.

With McCoy, he has had a lot of touches the last 2 years. Watching him last year he didn't have the same burst has he had in the past. The numbers on advanced sites like Football Outsiders and PFF back this up.

The return for McCoy, Alonso is a very good fast inside LB in their 3-4 scheme. They'll be fine there.

I don't mind any of the moves except for the Foles/Bradford trade, but if you squint hard enough you can see why Chip did it. Bradford has a relatively low TD/INT ratio, and there have been some reports that he processes information quickly and ran the Oklahoma offense like a point guard, which is what Chip loves. Foles had trouble pulling the trigger on passes last year. So, foles and Bradford both have pluses and minuses. The main reason I don't like the trade is Bradford's salary and giving up an extra pick to get him.

Tim McManus of Birds 24/7 wrote somthing pretty good in a article last week. From http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/03/05/eagles-wake-call-63/

Some of the qualities that make Kelly attractive and successful are the same ones that make him dangerous. He's an original thinker and a risk-taker. He has strong convictions and he pushes through resistance and at times conventional wisdom to stay true to those convictions. That allows him to break new ground, but at times might send him to land that more experienced men know to be infertile.
Kelly's approach has worked very well for him for the most part to date, and from that you can draw confidence. He has a history that suggests if you allow him artistic license, he can create something pretty special. But this is a new realm for him, and he'll have to find and toe the line that separates bold from reckless. As long as he operates in that space, it will never be an easy, comfortable ride. But it will be entertaining.

Originally posted by SouthJerseyRU:
Very good summary miketd1. In addition to what you said, there is the resigning of Brandon Graham, who was a very good pass rusher in limited snaps last year. He'll be a starter this year and should put better numbers then Cole did. An added bonus is that the Eagles prevented him from signing with the Giants.

For Jackson, another thing is he didn't want to block at all. Chip wants receivers who can block in his system.

With McCoy, he has had a lot of touches the last 2 years. Watching him last year he didn't have the same burst has he had in the past. The numbers on advanced sites like Football Outsiders and PFF back this up.

The return for McCoy, Alonso is a very good fast inside LB in their 3-4 scheme. They'll be fine there.

I don't mind any of the moves except for the Foles/Bradford trade, but if you squint hard enough you can see why Chip did it. Bradford has a relatively low TD/INT ratio, and there have been some reports that he processes information quickly and ran the Oklahoma offense like a point guard, which is what Chip loves. Foles had trouble pulling the trigger on passes last year. So, foles and Bradford both have pluses and minuses. The main reason I don't like the trade is Bradford's salary and giving up an extra pick to get him.

Tim McManus of Birds 24/7 wrote somthing pretty good in a article last week. From http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/03/05/eagles-wake-call-63/

Some of the qualities that make Kelly attractive and successful are the same ones that make him dangerous. He's an original thinker and a risk-taker. He has strong convictions and he pushes through resistance and at times conventional wisdom to stay true to those convictions. That allows him to break new ground, but at times might send him to land that more experienced men know to be infertile.
Kelly's approach has worked very well for him for the most part to date, and from that you can draw confidence. He has a history that suggests if you allow him artistic license, he can create something pretty special. But this is a new realm for him, and he'll have to find and toe the line that separates bold from reckless. As long as he operates in that space, it will never be an easy, comfortable ride. But it will be entertaining.
Like I said earlier - it's gonna be interesting...

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
To think Kelly is some kind of genius here is laughable. He took a great team and than tweeked it and than they missed the playoffs. Now he has jettisoned every star on the team and brought in a first round bust.

Ask your self who is the best, most talented, player on the team in the last two years. Whoever you come up with he is on another team right now.
Peters, Mathis, and Fletcher Cox could all make a case for being the best player. Of course Jackson, Maclin and McCoy were part of their best players as well. To a lesser extent or a tier below those six the Eagles still have Kelce (excellent 2 years ago, just OK last year), Graham (great in limited playing time), Lane Johnson (this year, rookie year wasn't so good), Kendricks and Barwin .

But it's easy to see the trend. Kelly values the lines/front seven above the skill positions and thinks that his system can take care of the rest. Who knows if that is the right path, but to suggest they still don't have their good players is disingenuous.

Re: OT: Revis back to Jets...

He's a very good player. For me personally, i would rather the Jets sign Cromartie. Revis is perpetually miserable about his economic situation and causes headaches...i just get tired of that. The Jets have a lot more holes than CB to fill and they are tying up a lot $$$ on CBs. Ironically, they have all this money to spend because of the last GM who got fired. So now they have an aggressive football guy with available cash.

Originally posted by LiKnight:

Still a possibility they package Bradford and the 10 pick to trade up for Mariotta, no?

Not a Jets fan, especially with the dog-strangler on their roster, but this is a great move for long-suffering Jets fans.
Revis is still as good as it gets in man coverage and a big plus for the D.
it looks like the Jets are aggressively trying to improve their talent-level for a change.
1969 was soooo long ago.

He's a great player. But it's tough to give a non-QB that much money.

yeah kiko alonso, a player coming back from a torn acl and who happened to have the best d line in the NFL playing in front of him. maybe that dline made him look better than he is?? hmmmm...hold your horses their eagles fans. its been a terrible offseason for you so far, you just want this guy kelly and the eagles to win so bad that you don't see it.

on the other hand, the giants are building depth and along with vereen (who's going to be an awesome fit in Macadoo's system), signed a couple under-the-radar-type linebackers (think kawika mitchell), and pulled dwayne harris from the cowboys to be KR/PR/cruz insurance in the slot. still holding out hope for one of Raheem Moore and Ron Parker for Free safety. with the 9th overall pick they're either going Fowler, Dupree, or Scherff. Just depends on what Jerry Reese wants to do, and he's in a very very good position.

Giants have a HOF qb, the eagles have no qb. no qb, no win. if you think one of bradford or sanchez is the answer, well then i just don't know what to tell you.

This post was edited on 3/11 12:46 PM by ntlrock1

Jets get Ryan Fitzpatrick

So is the dog-strangler gone ?
Geno isn't going anywhere and I think the ASPCA's favorite quarterback is a free agent.
Why did the Jets wait until The Genius Ryan left town to get so aggressive with player acquisitions ?

I looked up his rivals page. 2 star with no offer from RU. Can anyone confirm that we did or did not offer him?

I don't know of any Eagles' fan that's pleased with the latest moves. Some are in wait-and-see mode, but no one's happy.

You're just piling on.

When is the last time they had a Rutgers player on their roster? Ray Lucas?

Not sure I know one Browns fan who likes Skrene so as a Jets fan I'm shaking my head with that signing. Browns fans thought they were getting Revis yesterday

Originally posted by RURM85:
Originally posted by HeyHuey:
Jets also picked up CB Buster Skrine from Cleveland who I like just because of his name. I looked at him and he seems to be a pretty good tackler...I guess he had to be in Cleveland. He's 5-9....I would like to see a 6'2 or 6'3 corner like Browner from NE but they sure don't grow on trees. Browner also holds a little bit.
Skrine will play slot coverage which is where he has some potential due to his quickness. Outside coverage for him has been an adventure not in a good way.

Originally posted by bscharf:
I looked up his rivals page. 2 star with no offer from RU. Can anyone confirm that we did or did not offer him?
um, see my comment in the second post ....his mother worked for me. I've met him a few times through her including when he came back to show all of us his first Super Bowl ring. No RU offer. Went to Wisconsin on a full scholarship.

Originally posted by RURM85:

Originally posted by RUCONN:
overrated ? if anything Revis is underrated. everyone talks up sherman cause he has a big mouth and talks about how Revis "isnt the same player"...he makes any team instantly better and completely changes an offensive gameplan i.e, a team's top receiver doesnt get targetted whih NEVER happens in today's NFL...could u imagine him playing in the 70s and 80s when DBs could maul WRs?
+1. Revis is the best cover corner in the game. He's an elite player with great technique. He also works as hard and studies as much as any Corner in the game. The only question becomes age.
+ 1,000

That will determine if it was a good deal for the NYJ.

Re: Jets get Ryan Fitzpatrick

The Bills are being aggressive, so you can't blame Ryan.

Originally posted by RU1977:

When is the last time they had a Rutgers player on their roster? Ray Lucas?
Jamaal Westerman

Re: Jets get Ryan Fitzpatrick

It had more to do with a bad GM, than Rex. The GM lacked experience and didn't want Rex. Owner Woody Johnson wanted Rex and what Woody created was a bad combination that led to him firing everyone. Too bad Woody couldn't fire himself. It now appears Woody hired a good combo in a GM and HC who work well together just based on recent transactions. Woody just needs to stay out of the way.

Originally posted by miketd1:
I don't know of any Eagles' fan that's pleased with the latest moves. Some are in wait-and-see mode, but no one's happy.

You're just piling on.
The two sports radio stations are blowing up. Not one Eagles fans likes what is happening. And I can't agree with your assessment about Bradford. After he has torn his ACL in two consecutive seasons you can't expect him to be mobile or anywhere near what he was in college. On top of that his cap hit is $16 million. There is no case for this trade.

Originally posted by SirPerceval:

Still a possibility they package Bradford and the 10 pick to trade up for Mariotta, no?
The Eagles have the 20th pick. Bradford has little value with his injury history and marginal success at St Louis. His salary is too high for a team to take a flier on him for a high #1. You must be an Eagles fan. This seems to be the rationalization that Eagles fans are using to explain away this trade. Still, it doesn't hurt to hold out hope even if it's not likely.

Originally posted by hiwater:
Originally posted by SirPerceval:

The Eagles have the 20th pick. Bradford has little value with his injury history and marginal success at St Louis. His salary is too high for a team to take a flier on him for a high #1. You must be an Eagles fan. This seems to be the rationalization that Eagles fans are using to explain away this trade. Still, it doesn't hurt to hold out hope even if it's not likely.
Actually, Boomer and Carton were saying the same thing this morning. The Jets wanted Bradford last year. I think the Eagles may actually stay with him because of the Shurmur connection. They wouldn't have signed Sanchez to the two-year deal as insurance if they didn't plan to take a risk on a guy like Bradford. I think Kelly is an egomaniac. If he is proven right, he'll be viewed as a genius and be there a long time. If not, he doesn't make it through next year.

Originally posted by bscharf:
um, see my comment in the second post ....his mother worked for me. I've met him a few times through her including when he came back to show all of us his first Super Bowl ring. No RU offer. Went to Wisconsin on a full scholarship.
Missed that. Good for him. NB kid with 2 rings. Talk about missing on a kid in your own backyard. Though I can't complain, RU ended up doing just fine those years without him!

Re: Jimmy Graham traded to Seahawks

Big target for Wilson.

Great news, be great to see another local NJ kid on the Giants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT