ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Free Agency/Trades

So signing Vereen who was probably 3rd best rb in new england last year is genius cause 'he is a good fit' and you get a few 'under the radar' players and the Giants are genius. Chip Kelly is getting his guys and he's an idiot who is ruining the Eagles. I am not thrilled with the moves but he is def getting the benefit of the doubt as he has succeeded everywhere. I don't get it.

Originally posted by applesktrack:
So signing Vereen who was probably 3rd best rb in new england last year is genius cause 'he is a good fit' and you get a few 'under the radar' players and the Giants are genius. Chip Kelly is getting his guys and he's an idiot who is ruining the Eagles. I am not thrilled with the moves but he is def getting the benefit of the doubt as he has succeeded everywhere. I don't get it.
When did anyone say signing Vereen was genius?

Re: OT: Nick Foles for Sam Bradford

Originally posted by RUPete:

Actually, Boomer and Carton were saying the same thing this morning. The Jets wanted Bradford last year. I think the Eagles may actually stay with him because of the Shurmur connection. They wouldn't have signed Sanchez to the two-year deal as insurance if they didn't plan to take a risk on a guy like Bradford. I think Kelly is an egomaniac. If he is proven right, he'll be viewed as a genius and be there a long time. If not, he doesn't make it through next year.
Kelly confirmed just that in an interview today. He also said that he would never mortgage his teams future by trying to make the kind of deal that the press has been saying that he will for Mariota. He said that his team has too many other holes to fill.

Originally posted by rutcor:
Free board is thattaway . . .
+1

OT or not where is the RU connection here?

Better sign Sanchez again SMH you guy's lost Shady, Maclin, and your QB not understanding these moves but time will tell. Bradford is fragile and hasn't made it through a hole season so look for something to happen on draft day I am guessing. Not sure you have enough trade bait to move up and get Marriotta but even if you do don't think he will be ready to start right away IMHO.

Originally posted by Fishky:

Better sign Sanchez again SMH you guy's lost Shady, Maclin, and your QB not understanding these moves but time will tell. Bradford is fragile and hasn't made it through a hole season so look for something to happen on draft day I am guessing. Not sure you have enough trade bait to move up and get Marriotta but even if you do don't think he will be ready to start right away IMHO.
Sanchez was resigned weeks ago

And now DeMarco Murray is officially signed to the Eagles. Still don't think Ryan Matthews is officially signed, and not sure if he will or won't be, although Chip wants both.

Re: OT: Revis back to Jets...

Originally posted by PaKnight:
Originally posted by RURM85:

Originally posted by RUCONN:
overrated ? if anything Revis is underrated. everyone talks up sherman cause he has a big mouth and talks about how Revis "isnt the same player"...he makes any team instantly better and completely changes an offensive gameplan i.e, a team's top receiver doesnt get targetted whih NEVER happens in today's NFL...could u imagine him playing in the 70s and 80s when DBs could maul WRs?
+1. Revis is the best cover corner in the game. He's an elite player with great technique. He also works as hard and studies as much as any Corner in the game. The only question becomes age.
+ 1,000

That will determine if it was a good deal for the NYJ.
No - the other question is - could you have paid half for a pretty good corner, and used the other half to fill other big holes in your roster. In other words - are two above average but not all pro players better than one all pro. In the NFL, given the likelihood of injury and the team nature of the game, paying big money for free agents is not a great idea, unless its a QB.

I don't love the Murray deal for the same reasons I liked the McCoy deal. You can get cheap RBs in this league and this year the draft is deep. Murray had a huge workload last year, but the upside his has over 600 less touches for his career then McCoy.

I also didn't like giving up the pick for Bradford, but I'm OK with the player swap. The fact that they had to give up the pick probably tells us that there wasn't a big market for Foles.

So to recap the Eagles:
Upgraded their rush OLB, replacing an aging Cole with Graham. I've been harping on this but resigning him and keeping him away from the Giants was by far their best move.Upgraded both their CB positions. Maxwell was expensive but he's better then Williams. Anyone would be better than Fletcher, Thurmond is good enough..Upgraded their ILB position. Alonso and Kendricks may be the fastest pair of ILB in the league.Made a lateral move at QB. Both QBs can't stay healthy, Foles had one great season but if Bradford clicks, he could have more upside. Who knows how this will work out.Made a lateral move at RB. Perhaps Murray fits the Eagles offense better then McCoy as the upside hereRyan Matthews just signed also. By talent alone Murrary/Matthews/Sproles > McCoy/Sproles/Polk, but I don't like the money committed to the position.Lost their top WR. They wanted Maclin, he just got top 5 WR money from KC.There's a rumored trade of OG Evan Mathis about to happen. He has been one of the best guards in the league, don't like that move if it happens.Overall pretty good off season so far for the Eagles. With the draft still to go they are better or the same at every position and only worse off at WR (and OL depending on the Mathis deal). They still need a starting Safety, starting WR and OL.

edited to add 6 and 8 above.

This post was edited on 3/12 4:58 PM by SouthJerseyRU

This post was edited on 3/12 5:00 PM by SouthJerseyRU

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

Originally posted by vm7118:

Originally posted by ntlrock1:
you cannot be serious....sam bradford hasnt been healthy his entire career and as a giants fan youre citing that he's more mobile than foles? uhhh yeah maybe in a vacuum, but in the NFL hes made of glass. rolling out sam bradford....is a bad idea. you just compared him to aaron rodgers. ohhhh boy i think something's wrong there. and mark sanchez is mark sanchez lol. no other words needed on that

There's no denying the eagles lost their 3 best playmakers in 3 seasons (djax, maclin, mccoy) that's like the Giants getting rid of Beckham cruz and eli for sh*ts and giggs...theyre going to replace all that production in one offseason using the moneyball mantra? i dont think so...

It's pretty unbelievable the cockiness that kelly is displaying, who does he think he is, some kind of bellichick? your system isn't above the league this is the NFL not Oregon, and teams will start figuring it out epecially now that he has less firepower. kelly has ruined the eagles (thank god) and he's going to be back coaching college in less than 2 years, take it to the bank.

he overpaid maxwell with a contract like hes an all pro when hes a #2 corner who had over the top help from 2 of the best safeties in chancellor and earl thomas...the eagles still have nothing on defense and no secondary

as a giants fan, chip kelly is my hero! and the eagles championship count will remain at ZERO!!

This post was edited on 3/11 12:32 AM by ntlrock1

This post was edited on 3/11 12:32 AM by ntlrock1
sorry, another giants fan here, and i'm going to have to disagree. chip kelly has already won many games in the nfl with foles and sanchez at qb. bradford is an upgrade in terms of talent. will he stay healthy? probably not, but foles has been injured almost half his career too - 22 out of 48 games he's been in the league. and we all know mariota is the big play here. if they can't land mariota, bradford/sanchez is better than foles/sanchez.

when's the last time oregon had a top tier running back where they grounded and pounded all game? lamichael james? that's not how kelly runs his teams. why pay money to shady mccoy when they can plug in any serviceable back and spend that cash elsewhere? kelly isn't dumb - he's going to do it his way, so if he wins everyone knows it was because of him. he wasn't brought to the NFL to follow the conventional wisdom. if he fails, he fails (i hope he does), but he will go out swinging.
To think Kelly is some kind of genius here is laughable. He took a great team and than tweeked it and than they missed the playoffs. Now he has jettisoned every star on the team and brought in a first round bust.

Ask your self who is the best, most talented, player on the team in the last two years. Whoever you come up with he is on another team right now.
And what was the record of that "great" team the year before Chip Kelly took the job?

Originally posted by SouthJerseyRU:
I don't love the Murray deal for the same reasons I liked the McCoy deal. You can get cheap RBs in this league and this year the draft is deep. Murray had a huge workload last year, but the upside his has over 600 less touches for his career then McCoy.

I also didn't like giving up the pick for Bradford, but I'm OK with the player swap. The fact that they had to give up the pick probably tells us that there wasn't a big market for Foles.

So to recap the Eagles:

Upgraded their rush OLB, replacing an aging Cole with Graham. I've been harping on this but resigning him and keeping him away from the Giants was by far their best move.
Upgraded both their CB positions. Maxwell was expensive but he's better then Williams. Anyone would be better than Fletcher, Thurmond is good enough..
Upgraded their ILB position. Alonso and Kendricks may be the fastest pair of ILB in the league.
Made a lateral move at QB. Both QBs can't stay healthy, Foles had one great season but if Bradford clicks, he could have more upside. Who knows how this will work out.
Made a lateral move at RB. Perhaps Murray fits the Eagles offense better then McCoy as the upside here
Ryan Matthews just signed also. By talent alone Murrary/Matthews/Sproles > McCoy/Sproles/Polk, but I don't like the money committed to the position.
Lost their top WR. They wanted Maclin, he just got top 5 WR money from KC.
There's a rumored trade of OG Evan Mathis about to happen. He has been one of the best guards in the league, don't like that move if it happens.Overall pretty good off season so far for the Eagles. With the draft still to go they are better or the same at every position and only worse off at WR (and OL depending on the Mathis deal). They still need a starting Safety, starting WR and OL.

edited to add 6 and 8 above.

This post was edited on 3/12 4:58 PM by SouthJerseyRU

This post was edited on 3/12 5:00 PM by SouthJerseyRU
Signing two RBs is a bit of a head scratcher but maybe he flips one to move up in the draft. I still have a nagging feeling he's going to try to get Mariota. Don't understand the Mathis move. Maybe he's got the most value of their aging OLs - or maybe he's not buying into the Chip Kelly thing like Jackson and McCoy.

I firgure he knows what he needs on Offense. He did add to the talent on D.

Hey you want to be a football fan - well nowhere is it more interesting right now than being an Eagles fan.

Screw-
I agree with you on Mathis, only because it's so difficult to develop quality NFL linemen. Maybe they really liked what they saw from his back-up last year. I'll reserve judgement until we see what the return is (if this happens).

ADVERTISEMENT