ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

It's a little alarming that Fitzgerald is still talking about buying by Friday's deadline. They're 2-6-0 since the Stadium Series "turning point" and 9-14-2 since 1/5. They're as close to 15th in the East as they are to the final Wild Card spot. Barring a 16-4-0 finish, they are burnt toast.

Fitzgerald embarrassed himself enough yesterday. I beg of him not to overpay for anyone, goalies included. Let the season continue to tailspin and build up the draft capital. Their once vaunted prospect pool has dropped from 2nd to 22nd over the last 18 months. That happens, when you make moves in an effort to improve the team in the present. But building that back up in a lost season isn't the worst thing he can do.

It's a little alarming that Fitzgerald is still talking about buying by Friday's deadline. They're 2-6-0 since the Stadium Series "turning point" and 9-14-2 since 1/5. They're as close to 15th in the East as they are to the final Wild Card spot. Barring a 16-4-0 finish, they are burnt toast.

Fitzgerald embarrassed himself enough yesterday. I beg of him not to overpay for anyone, goalies included. Let the season continue to tailspin and build up the draft capital. Their once vaunted prospect pool has dropped from 2nd to 22nd over the last 18 months. That happens, when you make moves in an effort to improve the team in the present. But building that back up in a lost season isn't the worst thing he can do.
No intriguing forward prospects in the pipeline

Their prospect rankings have dropped because, depending on which ranking you're using, the majority of their valuable players have "graduated" into the NHL.

Why are all the teams so close a playoff team selling?
Capitals trade Mantha
Penguins looking to trade Guentzel
Calgary trading everyone

After last night's game I am officially giving up, but if all the teams near us are selling than it isn't far fetched that if we play .667 somehow we could still sneak in.

Why are all the teams so close a playoff team selling?
Capitals trade Mantha
Penguins looking to trade Guentzel
Calgary trading everyone

After last night's game I am officially giving up, but if all the teams near us are selling than it isn't far fetched that if we play .667 somehow we could still sneak in.
Penguins and Capitals are clinging to life and this season is showing them they probably can't prolong the complete rebuilds they'be been putting off much longer.

Philadelphia is much further along vs. timelines and they've communicated practical aspects of where they are / building for future. I don't see them selling (tough for room) but never know.

Calgary is a mess so wouldn't use as reference point. No one likes playing there, money is an issue, who knows.

Still don't think Devils are out of it especially given divisional and 4 point games left in schedule.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
How do you do that to your fanbase? Pittsburgh and Washington are literally 2 games out.

Can the NHL please make every game worth 3 points and exactly 3 points?

How do you do that to your fanbase? Pittsburgh and Washington are literally 2 games out.

Do what to their fanbases? "Just get in...ya never know..."? Neither the Capitals nor the Penguins have made it out of the 1st Round since 2018-2019.

Do what to their fanbases? "Just get in...ya never know..."? Neither the Capitals nor the Penguins have made it out of the 1st Round since 2018-2019.
The Devils have like a 10-15% chance of making the playoffs and i would be upset if they were sellers....unless they really helped themselves in the future....unloading Hamilton or Meier contracts

You have to love how great GM's publically ridicule a young player they are shopping to help get a top flight goaltender. Makes sense. 😆

He should be up, because he is tough, our top forward prospect is Chase Stillman.

Pitt had talks with Guentzel about a contract but can’t come to terms . Hes gonna fetch a nice return if he’s traded . Don’t wanna lose him for nothing

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Nick Kypros said on Real Kyper @ Bourne podcast he heard the real reason the Markstrom trade fell through is ownership is real close to the analytics department, and they said we can win without adding a goalie.

After that pathetic presser yesterday I think it is clear, we also need a new GM. Ruff also didn't have control over the roster. Fitzgerald put Holtz in the doghouse. A lot more I could add but I will leave it here. Any GM who can't successfully argue for getting a goalie shouldn't be a GM. Just like any GM who trashes a young player publically he wants to trade, is NOT the answer.

I feel sorry for Coach Ruff, he deserved better.

Tyler Toffoli is officially available for trade, just said by Nick from Pucks @ Pitchforks.

Meier..a total of 1-minute and 30-seconds ALL SEASON playing with Jack and Nico on the power play. All came in the first period and immediately paid off.

Yet another Lindy blunder.

Meier..a total of 1-minute and 30-seconds ALL SEASON playing with Jack and Nico on the power play. All came in the first period and immediately paid off.

Yet another Lindy blunder.
I dunno, the story all year has been Timo was battling injury.

Meanwhile Toff was our leading PP goal scorer.

Nothing was a bigger guarantee than Meier figuring it out in a real role. He will be just fine here. Lindy is a hockey criminal.

Reactions: CHOPU
As I’ve been saying..stockpile picks and use for an nhl ready player. Let’s see if he does that.

If he uses these picks….yuck.

Very underwhelming!

Just go around and look at who has fetched a #1, including players who couldn't hold Toffoli's jock. A decent, not great a decent GM gets a 1st Rounder plus a 3rd at minimum.

Who knows who is behind this dysfunction the owners, egghead mathematicians, or Fitz, but this is yet another failure that should scream, We Need a New GM.

Very underwhelming!

Just go around and look at who has fetched a #1, including players who couldn't hold Toffoli's jock. A decent, not great a decent GM gets a 1st Rounder plus a 3rd at minimum.

Who knows who is behind this dysfunction the owners, egghead mathematicians, or Fitz, but this is yet another failure that should scream, We Need a New GM.
The best winger available Guentzel got a conditional first . If canes don’t make Stanley cup final it becomes a second

• Wow
Reactions: RU-05 and TM94goRU
It's official.
Fitzgerald should be fired!

The trade is what has been reported, except that Fitz failed to get a 1st and STILL the Devils are retaining 50% of Toffoli's deal.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT