ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Mets Season

Is the front office so inept at securing talent or is ownership just concerned about salary dumping? If the latter, Manfred needs to get his legal staff working on forcing the Coupons to sell. Selig should have done this after the Madoff scandal but he was chummy with Fred Wilpon.
Ugh

There was a hold up on the Familia trade. They couldve gotten a better prospect but they didnt want to pay.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I like this kid already,he turned down the Yankees,lol.

Will Toffey | Rank: 20 (Preseason: NR)
Team: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (AA)ETA: 2020Position: 3BAge: 23 DOB: 12/31/1994Bats: L Throws: RHeight: 6' 2" Weight: 205 lb.Drafted: 2017, 4th (111) - OAK

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

A baseball and hockey star at Salisbury (Conn). Prep, where his brother John coached him in both sports, Toffey turned down the Yankees as a 23rd-rounder in 2014 to attend Vanderbilt. He started from day one with the Commodores, playing on their 2015 College World Series runners-up team before slumping as a Draft-eligible sophomore in 2016, when the Orioles took a flier on him in the 25th round. He rebounded in the Cape Cod League that summer and was Vandy's best hitter as a junior, when he paced the team in all three triple-slash categories (.354/.475/.602) and belted 12 homers. That led to the A's taking him in the fourth round of the 2017 Draft and he was in the second half of his first full season in the California League when he was sent to the Mets in July's Jeurys Familia trade.

Toffey controls the strike zone very well and shows power potential in his left-handed swing. He improved his walk and strikeout rates each year at Vandy and hit for more power than ever in 2017. While he hasn't shown that pop as a pro, he has been an on-base machine. Though he's a fringy runner, Toffey provides quality defense and solid arm strength at third base.

There is some question about whether Toffey has enough bat speed to hit for the average and power demanded of third basemen at higher levels. However, even those who question his tools give him credit for his ability to process the game, his makeup and his competitiveness.

Mets will have to hold the record salary in that category: Wright, Cespedes and Bonilla.
The move to Citi Field has been lethal for injuries. WTF was on that site--some sort of ancient burial ground?
Met currently have $64mm on the disabled list, and that's with Cespedes back on the active roster. If he goes back on the DL, they'll be back to $93mm on the DL vs $59mm on the active roster.

Met currently have $64mm on the disabled list, and that's with Cespedes back on the active roster. If he goes back on the DL, they'll be back to $93mm on the DL vs $59mm on the active roster.
Oakland Athletics' opening day team salary was less at $62.65 million. They are currently 13 games over .500.
Sandy Alderson was at Oakland, leaving in 1998. Mets should be in great shape in 20 years.

Was not watching game. Just checked box score. Saw that Cabrera was pinch hit for. Was he injured, or is a trade imminent for him too?

BTW, the Familia to Oakland trade is in medical review. I would think it will be announced today.
Cabrera was not pinch hit for. He was replaced after getting thrown out of game for arguing check swing.

I'm still waiting for someone to answer what great things Sandy has done for the Mets... or the Padres for that matter.
The Athletics actually had a good run int he early 2000's, so my comment was a little too snarky. Sandy is recovering and in good spirits according to new reports. Hope he recovers and has a long and healthy retirement.

I don’t think much of Familia but I truly thought he was one of the few players that the Mets could get a real prospect for. I guess I overestimated his value since it looks like the Mets begged the A’s to take him.

I don’t think much of Familia but I truly thought he was one of the few players that the Mets could get a real prospect for. I guess I overestimated his value since it looks like the Mets begged the A’s to take him.
The Mets probably could have gotten a better prospect for Familia, but all the other front offices know the Coupons will take anyone off the bottom of the scrap heap for their scratch & dent guys, so don't bother offering the better prospects.

Anyone who thought the Mets would get more for Familia than they did for Reed last year was fooling themselves. Unless you are elite, the rental market is thin.

The Mets probably could have gotten a better prospect for Familia, but all the other front offices know the Coupons will take anyone off the bottom of the scrap heap for their scratch & dent guys, so don't bother offering the better prospects.
Do you seriously think the Wilpons were personally involved in this negotiation?

Do you seriously think the Wilpons were personally involved in this negotiation?
Not personally, but do you think the 3-headed GM (or Sandy for that matter) made deals at arms length? Come on, man. All the other teams know the Mets are a damaged ship low on fuel. They can't make a trade go positive if they even tried.

"Nobody else has shown any symptoms yet." Callaway said, "We're trying to make sure they're washing their hands and all that."

I was wondering what he meant by "and all that". On second thought, maybe that's TMI.

3 more wins 3 years ago would have been appreciated. Getting ready to write off more decades with this clownshow.

Achilles, the Greek hero of Trojan War fame was invulnerable until he signed with the Mets. Started to develop heel issues right after signing.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT