ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Mets Season

Was there a reason why Callaway pulled Oswalt after 59 pitches in the 5th? Is there any valid reason why Gsellman (former starting pitcher) couldn't go a second inning? And what's Callaway love for bringing in the relievers who give up big hits every chance they get?
1) Re Oswalt, put on the post game show. I am sure Callaway will be asked that question. EDIT: As a public service I watched the post game. Callway's response for pinch-hitting Oswalt was that he wanted to score a run. Recall that he had a runner on third with one out, and Rosario did not drive him in. Callaway said that if he had, he would have let Oswalt hit.

2) Gsellman was not in the game. Do you mean Lugo? If so, see (1). EDIT: I was wrong. Nobody asked him that question. Bad job by the interviewers.

3) To quote Donald Rumsfeld (a man whom I am not in the habit of quoting): "You go to war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had."

Last edited:
3) To quote Donald Rumsfeld (a man whom I am not in the habit of quoting): "You go to war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had."

Yeah, but Rummy left out a very important part.

If the army you have gives you zero chance of winning, you stay the f*ck home.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
1) Re Oswalt, put on the post game show. I am sure Callaway will be asked that question. EDIT: As a public service I watched the post game. Callway's response for pinch-hitting Oswalt was that he wanted to score a run. Recall that he had a runner on third with one out, and Rosario did not drive him in. Callaway said that if he had, he would have let Oswalt hit.

2) Gsellman was not in the game. Do you mean Lugo? If so, see (1). EDIT: I was wrong. Nobody asked him that question. Bad job by the interviewers.

Callaway is over managing. Mets are batting something well below .200 with men in scoring position. Why not let the pitcher hit? Can't be any worse.

What's the purpose of having a 40 man roster? You mean to tell me you can't find 2 or 3 dependable arms beside the bums they run out there every day? Option those who can go down to the minors and release others so they can be replaced.

Last edited:
Callaway is over managing. Mets are batting something well below .200 with men in scoring position. Why not let the pitcher hit? Can't be any worse.

Well yeah it could, but I get your point. Fifth inning, I'd have let Oswalt hit.

=You mean to tell me you can't find 2 or 3 dependable arms beside the bums they run out there every day?.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean to tell you. Do you know how many pitchers the Mets have used this year? 26. TWENTY FREAKIN' SIX. Twenty different relief pitchers. They've been bringing 'em up and sending 'em down, almost on a daily basis.

Reactions: rurichdog
How dumb is Mickey Mouse to take out Lugo after a single inning and go with those 3 bums?

This team is incredibly broken but Callaway has shown to be about the worst Mets manager I can remember. He’s in way over his head. Truly, a disappointment.

The manager is irrelevant. The talent and the brittleness of key players is the problem.
Would you want to play for Callaway? Wouldn't you prefer to sit on the DL rather than put up with the Muppet Show every day? Maybe these guys aren't as brittle as they let on.

Would you want to play for Callaway? Wouldn't you prefer to sit on the DL rather than put up with the Muppet Show every day? Maybe these guys aren't as brittle as they let on.
So, when guys were brittle last year and the year before that, they must have been channeling the future and based solely on their glimpse of future Callaway decided to, as you put it, stay on the DL then too. Got it. It's amazing how, when things go badly, following a sports team turns into reading weird conspiracy theories, like multiple players all deciding to stay on the DL even though they're healthy.

The problem is the talent, the talent and then also the talent. And whether it's health problems that don't allow players to play and use their talent or healthy players with not enough talent, the problem is the talent.

That's why the focus should be on the next GM or President, who will be a big part of selecting talent and assembling the staff that will help him pick the talent, be it young or veteran. The manager is an afterthought, a rounding error.

. . . You mean to tell me you can't find 2 or 3 dependable arms beside the bums they run out there every day? . . . .
Yes. It happens with many, many teams. Every single team is competing to stock their bullpens with the best relievers, or at least better relievers than the other teams. And when that's all done, their is a hierarchy, and some teams are on top or toward the top, and others are lower or at the bottom. Reducing that effort to "you mean to tell me you can't find 2 or 3 dependable relievers" is silly. It's like saying, "You mean to tell me that you can't find just 1 more hit in 10 at bats and become a .300 hitter instead of a .200 hitter."

Some front offices are better at getting talent, which includes stocking their bullpen, than other front offices. Those better front offices tend to regularly get the 2 or 3 or 4 dependable arms, and the 2 or 3 or 7 dependable hitters. And so on. That's the whole ball of wax, not just a pithy complaint about why they couldn't have just easily gotten better players.

Once again, that's why the Mets are at yet another decision-point that will determine whether the Mets stink for many more years or turn it around. And it's about the new GM/President. Every complaint about the manager is a waste of breath. It's arguing about the trees, not seeing the forest. It's trying to rearrange the deck chairs. It's . . . oh, well, I'm out of cliches.

This time of the year always reminds me of Ocean City,Maryland.I would always take the last week in July,and 1st week in August and take the family to OC. One day,setup right by the water I see Mets GM at the time,Joe Mcllvaine walking with I assumed was Pat Gillick,the GM of Baltimore. I believe it was 1996,I turned to my wife and said, I think the Mets are about to make a trade with the Orioles, because I'm positive that is the Mets GM. Sure enough,that night the Mets traded Bobby Bonilla for our future 5 tool Superstar, Alex Ochoa,lol. Be careful what you wish for Mets fans, nobody is giving away future superstars, at least it hasn't worked out that way for the Mets!!!

Yet there are many examples of teams getting prospects who turned out to be excellent players through trades, or drafting good players, or trading for good veteran players.

The lesson from your day at the beach is not that teams won't trade good prospects. The lesson is to have someone other than Joe McIlvaine making your trades, or selecting your draft picks. Instead, hire someone like Frank Cashen who will draft Strawberry, Gooden and others and trade for Darling, HoJo, Hernandez, Carter and so on.

Yet there are many examples of teams getting prospects who turned out to be excellent players through trades, or drafting good players, or trading for good veteran players.

The lesson from your day at the beach is not that teams won't trade good prospects. The lesson is to have someone other than Joe McIlvaine making your trades, or selecting your draft picks. Instead, hire someone like Frank Cashen who will draft Strawberry, Gooden and others and trade for Darling, HoJo, Hernandez, Carter and so on.
Frank Cashen, I always liked his bow tie,lol.

MLB.com lead story today is "10 Players Whose Trade Stock is Rising". Familia was #1 and Cabrera was also stated. See below:

Jeurys Familia, Mets
The Mets closer is nearly perfect this month, allowing one hit and one walk while striking out six in seven scoreless July innings. The Mets seem unlikely to trade either of their big-name starters (Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard), but Familia is headed for free agency, making him a near-lock to get moved. He's the best rental reliever on the market.

Potential fits: Astros, Red Sox

Asdrubal Cabrera, Mets
Cabrera has been on fire in July, slashing .293/.420/.634 with four home runs in 14 games this month. The teams that lost out in the Machado sweepstakes will turn to other infield options, and given that the versatile 32-year-old can play either middle infield spot, Cabrera figures to be attractive. He's also owed a little less than $4 million this season before becoming a free agent, giving the Mets reasons to move him.

Potential fits: Brewers, D-backs

Interesting that they consider Familia the best rental reliever on the market (ahead of Britton, Soria, etc.) Also interesting that they say Cabrera can play either middle infield spot. Perhaps they misspoke and meant "neither"? There is recent precedent for that sort of thing.

MLB.com lead story today is "10 Players Whose Trade Stock is Rising". Familia was #1 and Cabrera was also stated. See below:

Jeurys Familia, Mets
The Mets closer is nearly perfect this month, allowing one hit and one walk while striking out six in seven scoreless July innings. The Mets seem unlikely to trade either of their big-name starters (Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard), but Familia is headed for free agency, making him a near-lock to get moved. He's the best rental reliever on the market.

Potential fits: Astros, Red Sox

Asdrubal Cabrera, Mets
Cabrera has been on fire in July, slashing .293/.420/.634 with four home runs in 14 games this month. The teams that lost out in the Machado sweepstakes will turn to other infield options, and given that the versatile 32-year-old can play either middle infield spot, Cabrera figures to be attractive. He's also owed a little less than $4 million this season before becoming a free agent, giving the Mets reasons to move him.

Potential fits: Brewers, D-backs

Interesting that they consider Familia the best rental reliever on the market (ahead of Britton, Soria, etc.) Also interesting that they say Cabrera can play either middle infield spot. Perhaps they misspoke and meant "neither"? There is recent precedent for that sort of thing.

Nooooo,Familia to the Red Sox, we don't want to help the Yankees in any way shape or form,lol!!!:pray:

Nooooo,Familia to the Red Sox, we don't want to help the Yankees in any way shape or form,lol!!!:pray:
Very funny! But I think we are too hard on Familia. Maybe it's because the other guys had Rivera, and now Chapman, and we view that as the standard. But, like Addison Reed before him, Familia would serve the Bosox well as a setup guy. Familia would bring back a Reed-like return: a few mid-level prospects, but nothing special.

Oh and by the way - you know whose name ISN'T mentioned in any of these trade rumors? Brandon Nimmo, because the Mets aren't trading him. Remember when the proposed McCutcheon trade fell apart because the Mets weren't willing to part with Nimmo? Sometimes they do get it right.

Yoenis is back! Let's see for how long. DH tonight. One D Smith up, one down. Oswalt also down.

Sandy, never liked Wally, so with Sandy gone, is there any chance Wally can come back to the Mets and we can shitcan the Mick?https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-announce-wally-backman-has-resigned/c-200971998
There may be a nonzero chance of that, but it rounds to zero. The new GM would have to decide that Mick, after just one year, is not his guy. Possible, but unlikely. He's then have to decide that a guy currently managing in the Indy league IS his guy. You tell me how likely that is.

You know who they are, they only chirp after the fact,never putting themselves out there! My big hope this weekend is that the JV does it's small part to inch them closer to the EPIC FAIL.There's 11 days to their panic move, way over paying for their savor to get them to the finish line. Every Bosox win and Yankee loss moves them closer to that deal.

Reactions: Knight Shift
You know who they are, they only chirp after the fact,never putting themselves out there! My big hope this weekend is that the JV does it's small part to inch them closer to the EPIC FAIL.There's 11 days to their panic move, way over paying for their savor to get them to the finish line. Every Bosox win and Yankee loss moves them closer to that deal.
They can have Reyes for free. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

tenor.gif
EPIC FAIL,coming to a theater near you this October.

According to a Buster Olney tweet, Familia may be traded to Oakland soon enough.

Mets with the rare win.
Gsellman with the save.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT