ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Mets Season

Interesting article about the Mets GM search. I think it suggests a certain degree of dysfunction:
  • Fred and Jeff are not on the same page re the type of leader they want. Fred is old school, Jeff is more into modern analytics.
  • Whomever they select will have Minaya looking over his shoulder.
  • While this isn't stated, it's pretty much common knowledge that Callaway will be back. So the new GM will be inheriting a manager that he may or may not want.
https://nypost.com/2018/09/04/the-names-on-radar-in-mets-complex-intriguing-gm-search/

Reactions: cicero grimes
Interesting article about the Mets GM search. I think it suggests a certain degree of dysfunction:
  • Fred and Jeff are not on the same page re the type of leader they want. Fred is old school, Jeff is more into modern analytics.
  • Whomever they select will have Minaya looking over his shoulder.
  • While this isn't stated, it's pretty much common knowledge that Callaway will be back. So the new GM will be inheriting a manager that he may or may not want.
https://nypost.com/2018/09/04/the-names-on-radar-in-mets-complex-intriguing-gm-search/

Mets dysfunctional?? Certainly the first time I've ever heard of that claim.

Is it me or are the Mets going to dump deGrom for 3 mid level prospects before his contract is up?

With his salary covered by insurance that won't be reinvested into the team.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Knight Shift
Is it me or are the Mets going to dump deGrom for 3 mid level prospects before his contract is up?
If they unload him in July or August of 2020, then you could be right. I think they will either extend him or trade him well before that though.

deGrom should still win the CY easily if he doesn't blow up in his last 3 starts. The writers are dumb but they still have to recognize W-L record is not an indicator for well someone is pitching.

The rotation looks great for next year:

Degrom is a top 5 SP right now. Thor is back to throwing 100 and you'd be hard pressed to find 10 pitchers in all of baseball who've been better than Wheeler since the All Star Break. Matz has been pretty good in the last month as well.

If they could only develop hitters.....

David Wright press conference at 1:45. Assuming they'll announce he'll play some games this year and then walk off into the sunset with a deal on the money owed.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The rotation looks great for next year:

Degrom is a top 5 SP right now. Thor is back to throwing 100 and you'd be hard pressed to find 10 pitchers in all of baseball who've been better than Wheeler since the All Star Break. Matz has been pretty good in the last month as well.

If they could only develop hitters.....
Hope McNeill can continue hitting (batting .340).
Rosario and Nimmo are solid and Rosario hitting near 300 in Aug/Sep
Conforto needs to do better.
Flores is odd man out but they need to find a place for him.

Hope McNeill can continue hitting (batting .340).
Rosario and Nimmo are solid and Rosario hitting near 300 in Aug/Sep
Conforto needs to do better.
Flores is odd man out but they need to find a place for him.
2019 Shopping List:
1) Catcher
2) Center Field
3) Bullpen

Check those three boxes and we have a contender. Easier said than done though. Especially for bullpen. Relief pitchers are SO unpredictable, with major deviations in performance for year to year. That is why Alderson was always reluctant to spend big in the bullpen. We'll see how the new guy feels about that.

Reactions: dollarbill
2019 Shopping List:
1) Catcher
2) Center Field
3) Bullpen

Check those three boxes and we have a contender. Easier said than done though. Especially for bullpen. Relief pitchers are SO unpredictable, with major deviations in performance for year to year. That is why Alderson was always reluctant to spend big in the bullpen. We'll see how the new guy feels about that.
Lugo and Gsellman and 1 or 2 of the new guys not enough for bullpen? Put Vargas in the pen!!!!

What do you do with Conforto, Nimmo, and Bruce if you get a CF?
Springsteen is ending his run of Bruce on Broadway. Jay can take over there and tell baseball stories for 2 hours.

Everybody's a comedian. Leave that to the professionals in orange and blue.

But seriously folks... you can add Lagares to that mix, and maybe even Cespedes at some point. If so, what you've got is a serious First World Problem. GM's are paid to create these types of problems, and managers are paid to solve them. Although more often than not, they tend to work themselves out. Remember in spring when we were asking what we were going to do with all that starting pitching? Then we wind up starting the likes of P. J. Conlon and Drew Gagnon.

Mets have announced that David Wright will be activated for the final homestand, and will start at 3B on September 29. Without using the word "retirement" Wright basically announced his retirement.When asked if he might play again after this season, he responded, "I don't see that as a possibility."
Did they address the money he will be owed going forward?

Mets have announced that David Wright will be activated for the final homestand, and will start at 3B on September 29. Without using the word "retirement" Wright basically announced his retirement.When asked if he might play again after this season, he responded, "I don't see that as a possibility."
I may have gone off on this subject at times because as someone with back issues, I knew there was no way in hell he would be pain free again, let alone play the same way again. But I'll give it to him that he tried to come back and play, despite what idiots like me had to say. Just wish he didnt come up with these injuries since he was on his way to Cooperstown. But heres hoping for a great weekend series for DWright.

Can't stomach another year of Vargas, even if he finishes his remaining games with a 0.00 ERA

A couple of fun facts from Howie Rose after yesterday's first game:

1) It was the first time in Met history that they walked it off on two-out back to back jacks. I would have thought that in 56 years it would've happened before.

2) That was their fifth walk-off HR this year, which is second most in their history. Twice before they had six. Guess when? It was in 1962 and 1963, the first two years of their existence. So in 1962, 15 percent of their wins were on walk off homers! Amazin'.

Reactions: cicero grimes
What was going on here with the ump and Todd Fraizier after his walk off homer?

Check out @Mets’s Tweet:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT