ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Mets Season

Cmon man. They knew for what 2-3 days Staten Island was playing in that game. mLB can’t move up a charter flight an hour or so? And the Mets and/or MLB baseball are that out of touch to miss that moment?
Maybe LL Baseball should have changed the time of the Staten Island game rather than changing the scheduled departure of a chartered airline from a busy airport carrying professional athletes going out of their normal routine to fly to the middle of nowhere Pa.

I'll give you the Smith/Alonso thing you are right. Doesn't look like they want Alonso up which I can sort of justify but then Smith should be getting every 1B AB there is.
Since the Mets plan on contending next year, they must figure out how their lefty 1B-OF fits into their plans. So he'll get plenty of run down the stretch, especially at his inexperienced position.

The guy I am talking about is not Dom Smith. It is Jay Bruce.

They need to fix defense and relief pitching. Hitting may come around. Starting pitching should be solid. We could have a rotation of deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler and then some combination of Matz,Oswalt and Vargas as # 4/5. Bullpen could be better with Lugo, Gsellman, one of the three (Matz, Oswalt and Vargas). I have hope.
What I heard a while ago is that they plan to stretch Lugo out again and place him back in the rotation next season. He performed pretty well in that capacity in 2017 when the rotation was beset with injuries.

Thought I dodged the Murphy not-on-the-Mets playoff drain this year, but now I'll brace for Ruthian numbers with the Cubs.

Last edited:
Not for nothing but the team has been performing much better of late while going against teams still playing for something. Gives you hope for next year with a very strong top of the rotation if they can produce any consistent offense at all. Over the last month or so they've been much better in that regard.
Except when deGrom pitches

After an abysmal April, his ERA continues to trend down. August ERA is 4.37 and last 15 days 2.08. He may beat deGrom in Cy Young voting if he notches a few more wins. . . .
And if you take away the first 125 games of the season, Jose Reyes would be an MVP Candidate as he batted 1.000 in the last 2 games.

And if you take away the first 125 games of the season, Jose Reyes would be an MVP Candidate as he batted 1.000 in the last 2 games.
Just give Callaway time things are working out

Last edited:
Bautista (Jose, not Gerson) on his way to Philly. They claimed him on waivers and the two teams are now reportedly working out a deal.

McNeil should have been called up in June. He's 26 and he was on a lot of people's radar's. Don't forget they then made that stupid he could only play 2b comment only to delay his call up another few weeks.

Reyes is one of the worst players in baseball. He should have been cut in May. Any competent team doesn't give him a full season of ABs like we have. He's a symbol of Wilpon incompetence.

Smith should be playing everyday to see if he has anything left going forward. McNeil should not be sitting against lefties. Brentz should be up. He should be able to see if he can be bench player next year. Alonso should be up.
Isn’t Alonso hitting something like 240 with a ton of K’s. Doesn’t sound ready.

It is now official. Bautista to Phils for a player to be named later, or cash considerations. My guess is that the Mets will choose Door #2.

In other news, David Wright has been "promoted" to Vegas to continue his rehab. A September activation appears imminent. If he appears in even one game, that's one more than many of us (myself included) thought would ever happen. Good for him.

It is now official. Bautista to Phils for a player to be named later, or cash considerations. My guess is that the Mets will choose Door #2.

In other news, David Wright has been "promoted" to Vegas to continue his rehab. A September activation appears imminent. If he appears in even one game, that's one more than many of us (myself included) thought would ever happen. Good for him.

The cheap owners will certainly take cash over a player.

Mets yesterday gave Peter Alonso the bad news - he will not be a September call-up. Off to Arizona Fall League instead. Certainly the correct financial decision, and probably the correct baseball decision too. No point in bringing him up to sit around, which is what he was going to do. The first baseman the Mets need to find out about next month is Jay Bruce.

Mets yesterday gave Peter Alonso the bad news - he will not be a September call-up. Off to Arizona Fall League instead. Certainly the correct financial decision, and probably the correct baseball decision too. No point in bringing him up to sit around, which is what he was going to do. The first baseman the Mets need to find out about next month is Jay Bruce.
Agree it's the right move, but the optics of it looks terrible. It gives the appearance of the front office being more concerned with counting pennies instead of finding players who can help the Mets win games.

Is it me or do the Mets bring up players later (age wise) than other teams as a way to deal with service time & arbitration when it reaches that point? Example: deGrom is 30, and most players in his position would be on a big contract right now, but he's still under control by the Mets. McNeil is 26 and just now reaching the big leagues, what gives?

Reactions: cicero grimes
Mets let Jake down again. Disgraceful that Mcneil leads off the 8th with a triple and they can't get the run home. If I were Jake I would turn over the buffet table in the locker room.

Reactions: shields
Agree it's the right move, but the optics of it looks terrible. It gives the appearance of the front office being more concerned with counting pennies instead of finding players who can help the Mets win games.

Is it me or do the Mets bring up players later (age wise) than other teams as a way to deal with service time & arbitration when it reaches that point? Example: deGrom is 30, and most players in his position would be on a big contract right now, but he's still under control by the Mets. McNeil is 26 and just now reaching the big leagues, what gives?
A combination of poor drafting and even worse player development. How is it that the Atlanta Braves who I can't stand, have bought up 3 starting pitchers this year who were 20 years old and had them make quality starts? As well as have a player like Acuna making the impact he has at 20-21 years old. Mets have been poor in these areas for a while and it shows in how many of their listed top prospects are 22-23 and still toiling at the A or AA level.

Is it me or do you think Andujar, Acuña, Soto, or any other stud rookie wouldn't be playing if they were with the Mets? I mean who cares about his .277, 33,111 numbers when you have Jay Bruce (hes broken down and finished), Wilmer Flores (never given a chance early enough in his career), Dominic Smith (the job was his in the spring until he took a dump on it), and maybe even David Wright (hey, DW at first base may be their next grand experiment in 2019 if all goes well in Vegas) are around.

https://amp.mlb.com/292302108-mets-wont-promote-prospect-peter-alonso.amp.html

McNeil missed most of 2016 and 2017 with injuries, which slowed his development. He was never considered a big time prospect until now. Even this year he wasn't even invited to big league training camp!

In the case of deGrom, he made his minor league debut in 2010 at age 22, which is a bit late. He only appeared in six games, and then missed all of 2011. Did he have TJ? He returned in 2012 and made the majors in 2014, which is actually pretty quick.

Is it me or do you think Andujar, Acuña, Soto, or any other stud rookie wouldn't be playing if they were with the Mets? I mean who cares about his .277, 33,111 numbers when you have Jay Bruce (hes broken down and finished), Wilmer Flores (never given a chance early enough in his career), Dominic Smith (the job was his in the spring until he took a dump on it), and maybe even David Wright (hey, DW at first base may be their next grand experiment in 2019 if all goes well in Vegas) are around.

https://amp.mlb.com/292302108-mets-wont-promote-prospect-peter-alonso.amp.html
Pretty sure it's you.
1) Re Bruce, if only he could return to his glory days of 35 HR and 100 RBI? Oh yeah, that was just last year. He is hardly broken down and finished.
2) Flores was given plenty of chances. They tried really hard to find him a position, and still haven't succeeded.
3) Agree on Smith, but too soon to write him off.
4) Nah.

But back to your point, nowadays when you've got a young stud, it is common practice not to bring him up until May or June to avoid Super Two status. This was done with both Soto and Acuna.

Last edited:
Jacob Rhame is now eight up, eight down. Eight separate Met tenures in one season. September will likely make nine. I wonder what is the record.
Another Jacob Rhame sighting! He took the redeye to join the team as the 26th man for the "doubleheader", and they gave him the ninth inning. So that's nine trips up. And if they send him down after the game and bring him back in September, that would be ten!

In other news, David Wright has been "promoted" to Vegas to continue his rehab. A September activation appears imminent.
Well I spoke too soon. Mets now saying Wright is far from ready for a return to MLB. I guess someone remembered that if he sets foot on an MLB field, it's adios to the insurance payments. EDIT: A-yup. Mets just announced that Wright will join the team in SF to continue his rehab, but will remain on the DL. Per Ricco: "It's unrealistic to think that he would be activated anytime soon based on what we've seen to this point."

I guess they have lawyers who are knowledgeable about insurance fraud. But it sure seems that they are getting close to the line. Wright just played a bunch of games. It's hard to make the argument that he is physically incapable of playing. Maybe he can't play up to MLB standards, but I doubt that's how the policy is worded.

Last edited:
In case anyone cares, the Mets have announced that eight farmhands will be off to the Arizona Fall League next month:

SS Andres Gimenez, their number one prospect
1B Peter Alonso, their pissed off number two prospect
P Gerson Bautista, whom we've seen briefly, one of the bullpen arms obtained in last year's fire sale
P Eric Hanhold, also a fire sale acquisition
P Stephen Nogosek, ditto
OF Desmond Lindsay, a first round pick for whom the "bust" whispers are getting louder
C Ali Sanchez, a defense-first C
P Matt Blackham, whom I had never heard of. But my having heard of somebody is not a prerequisite for anything.

Good luck to all!

C'mon guys - this thread has been alive since March. Let's see it through the finish line! One more month!

Mets September call ups announced. Two already arrived - Tim Peterson and Eric Hanhold. Three more today - Dominic Smith, Jack Reinheimer, and Drew Gagnon. No Peter Alonso as we know. And sadly, although not surprisingly, no Patrick Kivlehan. At least not yet. And of course, Jacob Rhame is back for his TENTH tour of duty in one year! That might be a record.

When Hanhold gets into a game, he will be the 55th Met to do so this year, a new team record. Maybe David Wright will make it 56.

Anthony Swarzak begins a Brooklyn rehab assigment today. Problem is, the Brooklyn season ends today, as all minor league seasons do. Maybe one tuneup is all he needs. And maybe we get more callups tomorrow.

Today also marks the end of the Mets affiliation with the Las Vegas 51's. No more rushing reinforcements in on the redeye after they've just finished playing in 105 degree heat.

One last Vegas fun fact. The 51's have used 47 pitchers this year (including position players used in blowouts and such). FORTY-SEVEN. I don't know how that's even possible.

LGM!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT