ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2023 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is playing well enough to probably miss out on the Top 6 lottery. Can't blame them for winning, albeit not nearly enough.
As a fan of a top 6 slot, I want them to lose every game the rest of the year. As a competitor I get it - I could never tank even in week 1 of my old bowling leagues when everyone knew the hidden trick was to keep your average down and build up a high handicap early to dominate the rest of the year.

Binghamton won Game 1 of their playoff series with Somerset(yankees). Jett Williams hit a monster 3 run HR, his first in AA. Luisangel Acuna left the game after getting hit in the face by a pitch. Christian Scott pitching well since coming back from injury avoiding TJ surgery. It's a best of 3 and Game 2 is tomorrow in Somerset. Game 3 would be Friday if needed. Box score below.

Batters - BNGABRHRBIBBKAVGOPS
Acuña2B300002.000.250
1-Gil, MPR-3B1110001.0003.000
WilliamsSS411313.2501.400
GilbertCF410012.000.200
Schwartz1B512201.4001.200
Jackson3B-2B512101.4001.400
JordanRF413100.7501.750
Ruiz, ADH311011.333.833
SengerC311111.333.833
Thomas, RLF411100.250.500
Totals369129411
1-Ran for Acuña in the 6th.;
Batting
2BJordan (1, Messinger); Gil, M (1, Messinger).
3BSchwartz (1, Messinger).
HRJackson (1, 4th inning off Abeyta, 0 on, 1 out); Williams (1, 4th inning off Munoz, A, 2 on, 2 out).
TBGil, M 2; Jackson 5; Jordan 4; Ruiz, A; Schwartz 4; Senger; Thomas, R; Williams 4.
RBIJackson (1); Jordan (1); Schwartz 2 (2); Senger (1); Thomas, R (1); Williams 3 (3).
2-out RBIWilliams 3; Schwartz.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 outSenger; Thomas, R 2; Williams; Jackson.
Team RISP6-for-15.
Team LOB8.
Baserunning
SBGilbert (1, 2nd base off Messinger/Rice).
Fielding
DP2 (Senger-Williams; Schwartz-Williams-Minnick).

Pitchers - BNGIPHRERBBKHRERA
Scott3.02110513.00
Moreno(W, 1-0)5.03112511.80
Minnick1.02000000.00
Totals

Jett Williams is clearly one prospect on the fast track. Question is where does he play?
We're going to have a bottle neck but they can take it one at a time. In the minors he has been playing SS and CF. He's still a year away so can worry about it in 2025. Not everyone will make it at MLB level as we all know.

Interesting that Williams hit a monster home run, since I've been somewhat concerned about his pop give that he's on the shorter side--I believe 5'6". How long was it?

SI reporting that Mets have agreed with Alonso on the financials of a new contract, but are apart on length. Alonso wants 10 years.

Mets denying any agreement (as they should) and state that they will keep negotiations private.

I assume the leak came from Alonso's camp.

With this 6 man rotation the Mets are using,Senga will miss the Phillies in both of the upcoming series'.
I didn't want to see him at all,especially on the last day of the season.

In retrospect, selling and adding some future players was the right call. I was against it at the time but it's better than the "fool's gold" our neighbors bought into with Judge coming back and all that went with that. 😎

Reactions: megadrone
In retrospect, selling and adding some future players was the right call. I was against it at the time but it's better than the "fool's gold" our neighbors bought into with Judge coming back and all that went with that. 😎
I was all-in on the fire-sale except for Verlander because of what it likely meant for '24 (not getting any younger here). But that likely was the right call too.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
The approach was sensible. But the execution is what will matter. We won't know how that went for at least a couple of years.

I was all-in on the fire-sale except for Verlander because of what it likely meant for '24 (not getting any younger here). But that likely was the right call too.
I agree, but I didn't like Eppler's approach to '24 and '25. You can't throw in the towel publicly and expect fans to be okay with it while spending money to support the team. What he said publicly shows you he has no clue how to successfully build and run an organization. That's someone not used to success, so his approach is to shoot your shot once every few years. Good thing Atlanta and L.A. don't subscribe to that theory.

I agree, but I didn't like Eppler's approach to '24 and '25. You can't throw in the towel publicly and expect fans to be okay with it while spending money to support the team. What he said publicly shows you he has no clue how to successfully build and run an organization. That's someone not used to success, so his approach is to shoot your shot once every few years. Good thing Atlanta and L.A. don't subscribe to that theory.
I don't think the Mets publicly threw in the towel for 24/25. It was Scherzer who said they told him this. One thought could be they told him that so he would approve a trade.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
I don't think the Mets publicly threw in the towel for 24/25. It was Scherzer who said they told him this. One thought could be they told him that so he would approve a trade.
Yeah I agree.

Still have a low comfort level with Eps, but with Stearns taking over shortly it's less of an issue.

The NY Post quoted Eppler saying the focus would be on '25, with '26 being the THE YEAR to contend. He said don't expect the Mets to have big expectations in '24. That's throwing in the towel without saying those exact words. Actions speak louder than words.

Nice run for the Mets, sweeping the Diamondbacks and then splitting 6 games with the Reds and Marlins. They've been doing a good job as spoilers. Would love to stick it to the Phils this weekend.

If they can finish 5-5, that's 76-86. Just a little shy of last year's 101.

Reactions: shields
I am usually with you on the Met/Yankee stuff but the Yanks will not be regretting Judge's deal by the end of it. Yes, he will have years injured but he has a good shot at a couple more MVP's as well.

As for our trade deadline- I am happy with it. Though, Robertson, Verlander, Pham, Cahna may actually have is in the WC right now. But that would have been fools gold. By moving them, we got a good haul for the minors and we nevr would have let Vientos play through his troubles or bring Mauricio up.
And, I don't think we really damaged 2024 where we can just get a couple of players this off season and still have a shot next year

Article in the Athletic quotes Tommy Pham stating the Mets had the worst work ethic he has seen in terms of position players excluding Lindor / Nimmo and Alonso.
If this is the case plus what was going on in the clubhouse with Verlander etc - Buck has to go !
Completely unacceptable for a manager to allow this in addition to how fundamentally unprepared this squad was.
Hope Stearns makes the right bold move to get rid of Buck !

Article in the Athletic quotes Tommy Pham stating the Mets had the worst work ethic he has seen in terms of position players excluding Lindor / Nimmo and Alonso.
If this is the case plus what was going on in the clubhouse with Verlander etc - Buck has to go !
Completely unacceptable for a manager to allow this in addition to how fundamentally unprepared this squad was.
That puts pre Alvarez Catchers, McNeil, Escobar, Cahna, Marte on notice. Maybe Baty as well

But also why we need to lock up Pete long term. To go with the other two mentioned

Nice run for the Mets, sweeping the Diamondbacks and then splitting 6 games with the Reds and Marlins. They've been doing a good job as spoilers. Would love to stick it to the Phils this weekend.

If they can finish 5-5, that's 76-86. Just a little shy of last year's 101.
Truly AMAZIN. Spent 400mm in the off-season. Highest payroll in baseball history and finish 25 games worse the next year.

Well, it's not like Buck can say they didn't give him enough tools to work with.😛

Truly AMAZIN. Spent 400mm in the off-season. Highest payroll in baseball history and finish 25 games worse the next year.
yeah it sucks but almost like SS Kiche Maru being happy that the Titanic happened.

Our shitty year making Yankee fans giddy about their high 300 payroll only dropped them between 17-20 games this year.

Well, it's not like Buck can say they didn't give him enough tools to work with.😛
Are the Yankees still printing post season tickets since you declared a playoff push was happening?
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT