ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2023 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So- just a little change of pace- if you remember during the first half of the season and people were questioning how the TB Rays could have so many more HR's than anyone else and their OPS was crazy.

Riddle me this- how the F..K do the Braves end up 60 HR's better than the next best power team and a 30+ OPS higher too? They will have a great shot to break the all time single season HR record that was set in 2019, the season everyone said the ball was juiced.

So- just a little change of pace- if you remember during the first half of the season and people were questioning how the TB Rays could have so many more HR's than anyone else and their OPS was crazy.

Riddle me this- how the F..K do the Braves end up 60 HR's better than the next best power team and a 30+ OPS higher too? They will have a great shot to break the all time single season HR record that was set in 2019, the season everyone said the ball was juiced.
The 2023 MLB average OPS is .734.

The Braves have a team OPS of .843, over 100 points higher! That is insane.

By contrast, the Mets do not have a single regular player with an OPS above the Braves average for their entire team! The Mets highest OPS is DJ Stewart, a part-time, with .860.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
Im confused about the whole draft thing. The mets dont have to finish in the worst 6th to avoid losing 10 spots. They just have to be picked it the top sixth in the lottery. I understand where you finish in the standings improves the odds of thst happening, but finishing 7th right now doesnt mean they will pick 17th.

There would even be a (low) chance the Mets get the #1 pick

Last edited:

By contrast, the Mets do not have a single regular player with an OPS above the Braves average for their entire team! The Mets highest OPS is DJ Stewart, a part-time, with .860.
16 players in baseball have an OPS over .843 that are not on the Braves and only 9 in the NL that are not on the Braves.

Wasn't that the reason they cried when Alonso broke Mr.Mays rookie record?

Im confused about the whole draft thing. The mets dont have to finish in the worst 6th to avoid losing 10 spots. They just have to be picked it the top sixth in the lottery. I understand where you finish in the standings improves the odds of thst happening, but finishing 7th right now doesnt mean they will pick 17th.

There would even be a (low) chance the Mets get the #1 pick
The complicating factor is the Washington Nationals. There is a rule that if a big market team (which the Nats are) wins the lottery, they cannot be in it the next year. The highest they can pick is 10th.

SO... If the Mets finish 7th from the bottom, they will be bumped to 6th (ahead of Washington) and are safely in the lottery.

HOWEVER... If the Mets finish 8th from the bottom, they get bumped to 7th, but still miss the lottery, and therefore get dropped to 17th.

They will most likely finish 7th or 8th. The competition is the Angels. Could come down to whether the rainout game needs to be completed on Monday, or whether it will default to a Met win.

CURRENT BOTTOM 10:

1) Oakland
2) Kansas City
3) Colorado
4) Chicago WS
5) St. Louis
6) Washington (will be bumped to 10th)
7) LA Angels
8) METS
9) Pittsburgh
10) Detroit/Cleveland (tie)

The complicating factor is the Washington Nationals. There is a rule that if a big market team (which the Nats are) wins the lottery, they cannot be in it the next year. The highest they can pick is 10th.

SO... If the Mets finish 7th from the bottom, they will be bumped to 6th (ahead of Washington) and are safely in the lottery.

HOWEVER... If the Mets finish 8th from the bottom, they get bumped to 7th, but still miss the lottery, and therefore get dropped to 17th.

They will most likely finish 7th or 8th. The competition is the Angels. Could come down to whether the rainout game needs to be completed on Monday, or whether it will default to a Met win.

CURRENT BOTTOM 10:

1) Oakland
2) Kansas City
3) Colorado
4) Chicago WS
5) St. Louis
6) Washington (will be bumped to 10th)
7) LA Angels
8) METS
9) Pittsburgh
10) Detroit/Cleveland (tie)
But what i dont understand….. all teams that dont go to the playoffs participate in the lottery, which determines the top 6 picks, except the Nats, who are uneligible.
The mets are not missing the lottery, regardless of where they finish in the standings… its just their odds that f getting a top 6 spot increase with their placement in the reverse standings

Yeah…. The Mets need to be in the top 6 POST lottery. Finishing 6 worst in the standings gives a 40% chance, finishing 7th is like a 30% chance…… of having the lottery balls place them top 6. Also, finishing 6th or 7th worst gives them a 5.5-7.5% chance of getting the 1ST pick

But what i dont understand….. all teams that dont go to the playoffs participate in the lottery, which determines the top 6 picks, except the Nats, who are uneligible.
The mets are not missing the lottery, regardless of where they finish in the standings… its just their odds that f getting a top 6 spot increase with their placement in the reverse standings
Because of their excessive luxury tax status, the Mets will get dropped 10 spots in the first round. Same thing happened last year. It did with the Dodgers as well.

But there is an exemption in the rule that if you finish in the bottom 6, the 10 spot penalty does not apply.

There are way too many players on the Braves that were over the hill all of a sudden having career years (Ozuna, Rosario, etc). It is almost as if all of their players have elevated their game one or two levels at the same time. Average players are All stars, all stars are superstars, superstars are having all time great seasons. Their offensive perforce this year reminds me very much of the Astros from 6-8 years ago.

Here's your Mets' question today:Which Mets coach is the only one team, 20 or more years player, who is not in the HOF?

Here's your Mets' question today:Which Mets coach is the only one team, 20 or more years player, who is not in the HOF?
Out of every player I have seen who was 20 years and only one team- none are Met coaches.
So, a little lost on this one

The good from this year for me are
1) Lindor - had a slump but a beast most of the year
2) Senga - number 2 ROY behind Carrol and maybe number 3 or 4 CY
3) Pete - HR/RBI just so consistent every year
4) Nimmo - rock steady
5) Alvarez - gives big hope
6) Quintana - very solid
7) Minor league system better than it has been in a very long time
8) McNeil having a solid bounceback from a very rough start
9) Not sure about Baty but Vientos started to get some good looks

Reactions: Leonard23
4) Nimmo - rock steady
6) Quintana - very solid
No Mauricio?

Interesting stats that involved our favorite player who got traded away…

He may win MVP and WS MVP but people will still dog him no matter what. Good year.
A godsend. How would rotation look without him?
Still trying to figure out how that toxic stuff started and why. These numbers will be this every year. That’s a good thing.
4) Nimmo - rock steady
Steady year.
Hope he’s the catcher for at least next 7 years.
6) Quintana - very solid
Not bad. Better than Carrasco
Slowly but surely being built up. Hope David Stearns brings in his ways to build it up even more
He has to be more consistent. Just make contact like he did last year.
Maybe Baty came up too quick. He he straightens out during winter. Vientos looking better.

The answer to the question about the 20 years,one team,but not in the HOF:Mel Harder,1964 Mets' pitching coach who pitched for the Indians from 1928 through 1947.
Joe D called him the toughest pitcher that he ever faced.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Pizza Yes GIF

Hello Craig Counsell?? With these moves, I find it hard to believe that Stearns isn't behind some of these decisions, particularly some of the trades.

Buck was a great baseball man,the players loved him. I think his message kind of got lost after a couple of years and what was the final straw was the statement from Tommy Pham saying this Mets team was the least working team he's ever been a part of. Next manager, if history is any judge, will take the Mets to a World Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT