ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Spring training brings Hope for the future , need several of the below to make an impact starting this year.

Ramirez
Acuna
Gilbert
Williams
Baty
Vientos

MLB net double header tomorrow
10am replay of today
1pm vs Astros

Hopefully during a Rutgers 🏀 win vs Maryland

Can the Mets just have a sliver of that Yankees offense please. 22 friggin runs, unreal. Who are some of those kids?Crazy.

Can the Mets just have a sliver of that Yankees offense please. 22 friggin runs, unreal. Who are some of those kids?Crazy.
Mets got five yesterday. I will sign up for five runs a game right now.

Actually, a correct statement is that some guys in Mets uniforms got five yesterday.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Nate Lavender looks like a possible interesting lefty out of the pen. Will be paying attention to his outings as spring training continues. So far 2 outings, 2 innings 4ks no hits.

Good to see Daryl relaxed and enjoying himself at spring training. Seems like a man at peace and supportive of an Alonso extension.

As a Mets fan this is how I feel about this season.

frustrated charlie brown GIF

Well I'm pretty excited for the new era where we finally try and build an organization the correct way. No more band aid after band aid method.
Agreed. 2024 was written off at Verlander trade - long term that was the right move.

Agreed. 2024 was written off at Verlander trade - long term that was the right move.
I am ok with a lot that has happened since the trade deadline- only ask one thing as a Met fan- can we please let us keep a homegrown guy who will be plunking 40+ HRs yearly
Would love to finally have some team records worth mentioning.
If I am watching Alonso hit HRs elsewhere after 2024, i will seriously throw up.
BTW- who would the Mets be targeting to replace Pete after this year.

I am ok with a lot that has happened since the trade deadline- only ask one thing as a Met fan- can we please let us keep a homegrown guy who will be plunking 40+ HRs yearly
If I am watching Alonso hit HRs elsewhere after 2024, i will seriously throw up.
Vogelbach

Takes two to tango. Yeah, I know that Alonso is saying all the right things. He also signed Scott Boras as his agent. Actions speak louder than words.

Well, to be fair, 2024 was a problem before it started. A viable long term plan and the right people to implement it were not in place. And, so, we kept chasing our tail by signing expensive players, building payroll, going way over the cap, hurting our draft position, and not stocking our system with nearly enough talent to compete for championships. We had little in the system to call up, and those that we did were anything but sure things. If you run things that way long enough, you also end up with multiple old guys with huge contracts, something that rarely works. So writing off 2024 wasn't a decision so much as a necessity created by all the bad management that preceded it, beginning with BVW-WTF.

Zak's right. The Mets are trying to do it the right way now, and there may be some medicine to take in the meantime. Adopting that approach is only part of the fix, though. You also need a front office that brings into the system better talent than most every other team in the sport. In other words, even with the right approach, if you have the wrong people implementing it, you can still end up with Lastings Milledge and David Peterson.

But the right people running the right system, teamed with Steve Cohen's money, makes us a juggernaut. I'm optimistic that we have that type of front office, or at least the start of it, given David Stearn's track record.

Well, to be fair, 2024 was a problem before it started. A viable long term plan and the right people to implement it were not in place. And, so, we kept chasing our tail by signing expensive players, building payroll, going way over the cap, hurting our draft position, and not stocking our system with nearly enough talent to compete for championships. We had little in the system to call up, and those that we did were anything but sure things. If you run things that way long enough, you also end up with multiple old guys with huge contracts, something that rarely works. So writing off 2024 wasn't a decision so much as a necessity created by all the bad management that preceded it, beginning with BVW-WTF.

Zak's right. The Mets are trying to do it the right way now, and there may be some medicine to take in the meantime. Adopting that approach is only part of the fix, though. You also need a front office that brings into the system better talent than most every other team in the sport. In other words, even with the right approach, if you have the wrong people implementing it, you can still end up with Lastings Milledge and David Peterson.

But the right people running the right system, teamed with Steve Cohen's money, makes us a juggernaut. I'm optimistic that we have that type of front office, or at least the start of it, given David Stearn's track record.
Some parts agree and others…
The problem coming into 2023 was the lack of foresight prior.
We had Nimmo, deGrom, etc coming into FA…
We had a guy like McNeil-
Ends up we did the right thing with each of them.
Still had the Cano contract. Max on the books etc…
They brought in Verlander…to replace deGrom- for almost the same cost…we have his payroll but since we could trade him and bring back pretty good vs just paying for nothing, it worked out.
But we have to remember- a good part of our starting team from 2022 had to be retained or replaced and we had prior bad contracts.
Don’t…let that stop us from locking in a guy who will be known as tge greatest or only 2nd behind Seaver as the greatest Met ever.

They brought in Verlander…to replace deGrom- for almost the same cost…we have his payroll but since we could trade him and bring back pretty good vs just paying for nothing, it worked out.
But we have to remember- a good part of our starting team from 2022 had to be retained or replaced and we had prior bad contracts.
Don’t…let that stop us from locking in a guy who will be known as tge greatest or only 2nd behind Seaver as the greatest Met ever.
Alonso is going to free agency. That is a virtual certainty, one with which both sides appear comfortable.

And then we'll see...

Pete might be our only chance to ever show up in the 500 HR Club. Not many orange and blue in the MLB record books when it comes to hitting.

Mets make first round of cuts. No surprises:

Kevin Parada, Jett Williams, Drew Gilbert, Christian Scott, Eric Orze, Danny Young, Mike Vasil, and Cam Robinson were reassigned to minor league camp.

Luisangel Acuna and Kolton Ingram, both of whom are on the 40 man, were optioned to Syracuse.

Not an ounce of this thinking recognizes that the weakness of the system was why you had all these bad choices. DeGrom left and we had nothing--zero--in the system to fill out the rotation. MeGill, Butto, and a bunch of other guys who have best case scenarios as back of the rotation guys. Lucchesi? Come on. Same thing with Scherzer. Spend a ton on an old guy who couldn't reach 150 innings his first year and wasn't good his second. Surprise! He's old. "Still had the Cano contract." Exactly. Bankrupt system and old guys on big contracts. "Prior bad contacts." Exactly. Bankrupt system. And now we're so deep in the hole that you're worried about retaining Pete. If you don't see that that's another symptom of a bad system that has the team boatloads over the cap, I can't help you.

Everything you wrote underscores the problem with the system.

Last edited:
Pete might be our only chance to ever show up in the 500 HR Club. Not many orange and blue in the MLB record books when it comes to hitting.
Yes, we should keep him. The main reason that it's a question is the terrible payroll created by a bad system. It's good we have someone in charge now who has a history of fixing such things.

In the major news of the weekend, Sean Manaea got a haircut. This is what he looks like now.

Pipeline Top 30 released today. 6 of the top 30 were from the trades last year including 3 of the top 5.

You guys want me to do the daily stats again for the minors this year?

1. Jett Williams
2. Drew Gilbert
3. Luisangel Acuna
4. Ryan Clifford
5. Christian Scott
6. Ronny Mauricio
7. Colin Houck
8. Marco Vargas
9. Kevin Parada
10. Blade Tidwell
11. Mike Vasil
12. Jeremy Rodriguez
13. Brandon Sproat
14. Dominic Hamel
15. Jacob Reimer
16. Alez Ramirez
17. Yovanny Rodriguez
18. Tyler Stuart
19. Nolan McLean
20. Ronald Hernandez
21. Jesus Baez
22. Calvin Ziegler
23. Wilfredo Lara
24. Nate Lavender
25. Boston Baro
26. Nick Morabito
27. Raimon Gomez
28. Joander Suarez
29. Saul Garcia
30. Rhylan Thomas

Pipeline Top 30 released today. 6 of the top 30 were from the trades last year including 3 of the top 5.

1. Jett Williams
2. Drew Gilbert
3. Luisangel Acuna
4. Ryan Clifford
5. Christian Scott
6. Ronny Mauricio
7. Colin Houck
8. Marco Vargas
9. Kevin Parada
10. Blade Tidwell
11. Mike Vasil
12. Jeremy Rodriguez
13. Brandon Sproat
14. Dominic Hamel
15. Jacob Reimer
16. Alez Ramirez
17. Yovanny Rodriguez
18. Tyler Stuart
19. Nolan McLean
20. Ronald Hernandez
21. Jesus Baez
22. Calvin Ziegler
23. Wilfredo Lara
24. Nate Lavender
25. Boston Baro
26. Nick Morabito
27. Raimon Gomez
28. Joander Suarez
29. Saul Garcia
30. Rhylan Thomas
Was that a rhetorical question?

Was that a rhetorical question?
Wasn't sure if anyone actually looked at them or not.

Zack Wheeler extension with the Phillies is in. 3 years $126 million. $42 AAV which is highest ever amount for an extension. I hate the Wilpons and Brodie Van Loser so much.

1. Jett Williams
2. Drew Gilbert
3. Luisangel Acuna
4. Ryan Clifford
5. Christian Scott
6. Ronny Mauricio
7. Colin Houck
8. Marco Vargas
9. Kevin Parada
10. Blade Tidwell
11. Mike Vasil
12. Jeremy Rodriguez