ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Peacock Streaming

djrc89

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
I think I’m finally going to break down and get peacock. Between our games, the Olympics, and Homicide on the platform I’ve weakened. Is anyone aware of the best deal available?

I got a year's service for $20 back in June
Now that the Olympics are starting the deals seem extinguished and a price bump is in effect ($60 - $80 per yr)
Maybe after the Olympics and before football somethings open up.
I would not have paid more than $20 because I didn't see much on the network.
Now that I have it the picture is kind of flat.
I tried the Tour de France but it looked lame.
But I watch via browser so far and sometimes the Roku cleans things up.
I believe people can watch via NBC app if they already have NBC as part of a paid streaming service.
Of course apps usually suck and NBC app has bad ratings

Anyone else wish we were just back on cable?
It’s funny- when it was cable- everything that wanted to be on TV was there for us and that was their only market.
The new “streaming” allows us to feel more in control but lets us lose track we have now doubled our monthly spend lol

Peacock may be breaking me down too. In addition to what you mentioned, they also have Big 10 basketball.

Rates for monthly are going up from $5.99 to $7.99. yearly is $79.99
It's a bargain for me as it has golf, cycling, horse racing. And Big Ten games.

It’s funny- when it was cable- everything that wanted to be on TV was there for us and that was their only market.
The new “streaming” allows us to feel more in control but lets us lose track we have now doubled our monthly spend lol
Nah.

Cable sucked for out of market for a long time and their cancelation policies continued to suck. At least you can cancel streaming quickly and easily. I also appreciate that it's weened me off of giant, stupid packages with still nothing worth watching.

Reactions: Section124
If you have Xfinity for internet, you may be able to get it for free- that's how I get it. Awesome for Premier League which restarts in August.
Forgot about Premier League.
I also watch the Dan Patrick show. I haven't watched anything non sports on it yet lol.

No . Way more content now and less commercials

Reactions: Section124
Nah.

Cable sucked for out of market for a long time and their cancelation policies continued to suck. At least you can cancel streaming quickly and easily. I also appreciate that it's weened me off of giant, stupid packages with still nothing worth watching.

💯

Streaming never delayed a game start or moved it to another channel at the last minute because the original channel was blocked by an earlier game going long.

People complain about games being on streaming.
The alternative is the game isn’t televised at all.
Streaming never said “Sorry there are too many games at 1pm and we can’t air them all. You can listen on the radio or check the box score tomorrow.”

Streaming is fine but I’d much rather have cable. It’s easy to turn it on and just watch. Theres too many streaming apps to keep track of. I am however ecstatic that LG finally allows ESPN app. Now I can watch ufc without a stream stick of some sort.

Reactions: Leonard23
Cable was great then seemed to have decided to add more infomercial channels then quality ones to make a bigger profit and constantly dropping channels while negotiating prices with them.
Now 300 channels mean 100 infomercial channels, 100 music channels and 100 channels to see shows and movies.
Cable should be better and is more convenient , but greed made it overpriced for what it gives its subscribers in my opinion

Reactions: WhiteBus
Not at all…my tv bill is negligible. Phone bill covers Netflix, internet bill covers Max, there’s amazing prime and a ton of free apps that let you watch a tone of content for free. Other than Hulu when it was like $5.99 a month, I pay nothing. It’s awesome!

I think I’m finally going to break down and get peacock. Between our games, the Olympics, and Homicide on the platform I’ve weakened. Is anyone aware of the best deal available?
We get it for free as Comcast customers. It's meh, but does have it moments of watchable content.

💯

Streaming never delayed a game start or moved it to another channel at the last minute because the original channel was blocked by an earlier game going long.

Streaming never said “Sorry there are too many games at 1pm and we can’t air them all. You can listen on the radio or check the box score tomorrow.”
Not a great point when you consider that they have now moved NFL playoff and regular season games there that the majority of people could access before.

💯

Would you agree that the one big downside of streaming is that if you want to flip back and forth between a game on YouTubeTV or Hulu, or even another streaming app), it is a PITA to do so on the same screen. One may say yep, but you can put one on your laptop or tablet, etc and watch both simultaneously. But as far as I know, that can't be done easily on a single large screen TV without shutting down one app and opening the other.

Maybe I'm missing something to easily do this? If one has traditional cable TV, is it possible to easily flip between Peacock or another app and Cable TV?

Would you agree that the one big downside of streaming is that if you want to flip back and forth between a game on YouTubeTV or Hulu, or even another streaming app), it is a PITA to do so on the same screen. One may say yep, but you can put one on your laptop or tablet, etc and watch both simultaneously. But as far as I know, that can't be done easily on a single large screen TV without shutting down one app and opening the other.

Maybe I'm missing something to easily do this? If one has traditional cable TV, is it possible to easily flip between Peacock or another app and Cable TV?

I would definitely agree.
But think about this complaint.

"It is too difficult for me to leave your product and quickly go to a competitor product."

Or more specifically:
"Big Ten and their partners suck. They make it hard to stop watching a Big Ten game and switch to ESPN to watch a SEC game."
That's arguably a positive for the Big Ten.

Not exactly what the response should be from the Big Ten and media partners.
These companies and conferences are trying to maximize viewership and ratings. Which then gives more money to Rutgers ultimately.

If you're an Olympics junkie, you'll love it. You can watch anything you want live on at a later time. I love the Winter Olympics and I was watching it until the spring last go around.

I agree it's not as easy...and harder if you are using the internals apps, FireStick, Roku devices. It's much easier to switch on an Apple TV since you can have all the apps opened and active. The remote makes it very easy to switch back and forth.

If you have Xfinity for internet, you may be able to get it for free- that's how I get it. Awesome for Premier League which restarts in August.
Xfinity users haven’t gotten peacock for free for years now. Make sure you’re not getting charged monthly.

To OP: if you’re worried about cost every year for the last 2 years Peacock has a one year subscription for 19.99 total deal around late may/ early June available

Xfinity users haven’t gotten peacock for free for years now. Make sure you’re not getting charged monthly.

To OP: if you’re worried about cost every year for the last 2 years Peacock has a one year subscription for 19.99 total deal around late may/ early June available
I believe some Xfinity users can still get for free if they're at a certain customer level.

I believe some Xfinity users can still get for free if they're at a certain customer level.
We still get it for free, but the mid-tier service with a few commercials. Not the premium ad free version.

I would definitely agree.
But think about this complaint.

"It is too difficult for me to leave your product and quickly go to a competitor product."

Or more specifically:
"Big Ten and their partners suck. They make it hard to stop watching a Big Ten game and switch to ESPN to watch a SEC game."
That's arguably a positive for the Big Ten.

Not exactly what the response should be from the Big Ten and media partners.
These companies and conferences are trying to maximize viewership and ratings. Which then gives more money to Rutgers ultimately.
I'm not sure there is such nefarious intent by the B1G.

I don't watch many other conference games where there are several B1G games on. But by having games on Peacock or some other streaming service, while the majority of the remaining B1G games are on one ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX or one of the many other channels such as ESPN or BTN, even watching multiple (or for that matter simply two) Big Ten games at once is impossible, and not fun to switch between a users "tradiational" (cable or YouTubeTV/Hulu) viewing service and an app.

Have been dealing with this now that SNY is no longer on YouTubeTV. If there is breaking news, a weather event or something else we want to see on "regular" TV, and we want to watch a Mets game to torture ourselves, it is a major PITA to switch back and forth compared to simply changing the channel.

Seems the race to make more money by the conferences is causing viewers to spend more money for a worse experience.

The workaround, which is not ideal, is to run content off the laptop onto a larger screen off to the side, which I suppose works.

Funny, I just canceled my subscription, which is paid up until October. The only time I used Peacock was to watch one of the Rutgers football games last year.

💯

Streaming is fine but I’d much rather have cable. It’s easy to turn it on and just watch. Theres too many streaming apps to keep track of. I am however ecstatic that LG finally allows ESPN app. Now I can watch ufc without a stream stick of some sort.

I'm not sure there is such nefarious intent by the B1G.

I don't watch many other conference games where there are several B1G games on. But by having games on Peacock or some other streaming service, while the majority of the remaining B1G games are on one ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX or one of the many other channels such as ESPN or BTN, even watching multiple (or for that matter simply two) Big Ten games at once is impossible, and not fun to switch between a users "tradiational" (cable or YouTubeTV/Hulu) viewing service and an app.

Have been dealing with this now that SNY is no longer on YouTubeTV. If there is breaking news, a weather event or something else we want to see on "regular" TV, and we want to watch a Mets game to torture ourselves, it is a major PITA to switch back and forth compared to simply changing the channel.

Seems the race to make more money by the conferences is causing viewers to spend more money for a worse experience.

The workaround, which is not ideal, is to run content off the laptop onto a larger screen off to the side, which I suppose works.
I only pay for B1G+ because it's mostly the only way to watch wrestling and other college Olympic sports, and didn't even bother jumping on the $20 annual Peacock deal in June. I've lost interest in watching sports on streaming apps and just watch other games/matches or something else on traditional cable/TV. They've made it more expensive or the same price as cable and it's a CX nightmare to switch between apps and traditional cable/TV. I think I watched 1 Amazon Prime Video NFL game so far.

It's a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT