ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Pickpockets

I watched a show about pickpockets in Rome. A couple showed how they do it. They didn't seem to care if anyone knew because they're just so good. Simply amazing the slight of hand.

Yes....Rome they tried twice once near Spanish steps and one near trivoli fountain

The second time I pushed the short little woman away.

years ago I was in Montreal with friends---everyone's out having fun and these women would come up to you in the street and grab your crotch and while you're concentrating on that they pickpocketed you. They got one of my friends wallets. He realized pretty soon after but numerous people in on it so she was able to get away. Somehow we spoke to one of the people involved and convinced them to get the girl back so he could have his ID back. The girl came back and inside the nearby burger king much like a prisoner exchange, we bought the emptied out wallet back so he could have his ID and return to the US. So not only did he lose all the cash, but he then had to pay on top of that to get his cards back. Crazy~!!

Who's old enough here to have fallen victim to having your wallet stolen while getting a BJ outside the Lincoln Tunnell?

Last edited:
Reactions: AshSaturday
Sketchy areas ? Is this code language? You mean black neighborhoods don't you. ( I'm just joking btw)
I know you are joking but why do people always think this means a "black" area? Do those that think that grow up in lily white suburbs? I grew up in one of the biggest cities in NJ and I'm white. I was a minority in my high school. Back in the early 80's we all got along. Some of the sketchiest areas I've been to in this country are white trash areas. I guess I'm a reverse racist.

Step one is not to carry a wallet - I just carry a credit card, my license and a bit of cash in my front pocket, which I know would be hard to get to without alerting me. Never understood carrying a Costanza wallet and thought everyone knew the dangers to one's back from sitting on a wallet.

beware those young ruffians and nare-do-wells

542574156.jpg

My wallet and phone are in my front pockets at all times when out and about. Apartment keys can go in my back pocket as needed (useless if stolen themselves), and car keys either stuffed in a front picket or clipped to a front belt buckle. I also walk around New York City, as well as sketchy local and travel spots with a semi-permanent scowl on my face. It's worked for me to date.

Who's old enough here to have fallen victim to having your wallet stolen while getting a BJ outside the Lincoln Tunnell
Lol a friend of mine had a few of them grabbing his crotch through the window and they all disappeared and then he realized his wallet was gone.

Kind of. Back at RU, I was doing laundry and put my wallet on the dryer ... because when you do laundry in college you wash everything you can stuff in the machine, including the pants you're wearing. Forgot my wallet, and by the time I returned to get it, one of my POS neighbors we shared the basement with had stolen my credit card. Charged some gas on Rt 18 before I canceled it. Guess that's more of "pick walleted."

I carry a small front wallet or cardholder, never in back, and don't leave my wallet on community dryers anymore.

Who's old enough here to have fallen victim to having your wallet stolen while getting a BJ outside the Lincoln Tunnell?
I should have gotten a free blowjob for all the f'n toll money I paid, and endless hours crawling through that dam tunnel back in the day.

Reactions: AshSaturday
This Pacsafe Neck wallet is what I use when I travel. It is adjustable so u can wear it around your neck, over the shoulder and even around your waist.

I generally shorten it up so it goes around my waist basically like a belt and I always wear untucked shirt so you can't even tell it's there. Kind of like when I carry my handgun. Nobody can tell I have that either

I can fit 4 passports in it, a considerable amount of cash and a few other small items all at the same time if needed.

The cable is metal but has a fabric sheath around it. The wallet part has a wire mesh imbeded so it can't be slashed.

Pacsafe Luggage Coversafe 75 Neck Pouch with Slashproof Chain (One Size, Grey) Amazon product ASIN B0106KJH98

I got my wallet stolen by a pickpocket while getting on a light rail train in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day last year. I had just purchased a train ticket and put my wallet back in the side pocket of my cargo pants. Someone must have been watching and when I was boarding the train amidst a crowd of people, I felt something near that pocket and noticed my wallet was missing. I knew who took it because he was right next to me, so I told him to give it back. He said he didn't have it so I started reaching into his pockets and pulled out a cell phone. He told me to give it back so I told him he'll get it back when I get my wallet back.

Another guy came over and asked what's going on. I told him the guy stole my wallet. I don't remember what the second guy said but it made me suspicious of him too, so I started reaching into his pockets and he said, "Oh I'm a part of this too now?" The first guy then handed me his jacket and backpack to search through. As I was looking through his stuff, the second guy got off the train at the first stop. I decided to stay on the train with the first guy, but then realized that the guy who had just gotten off had my wallet. The first guy got off at the next stop but I grabbed his shirt to stay with him and got off the train. He handed me his jacket and backpack again, and then tried to run away even though I still had his phone. I left his stuff on the ground and chased after him. He zig-zagged back and forth through an intersection with cars honking at us, it was ridiculous. Eventually I caught up to him enough to grab the back of his shirt with one hand and punch him in the head a few times with the other. He got loose and ran towards the sidewalk, but I shoved him into the wall.

We happened to be right across the street from a police station at this point, so they came outside and brought us in. Turns out the guy had just had a court hearing that same morning for the same thing, so they kept him there and he spent the night in jail. They said there are these Romanian pickpocket gangs that travel around Europe and once they get caught enough that they are facing jail time, they leave and go to a different city. The police said that while I didn't get my wallet back, I at least caught a criminal and prevented him from stealing other people's wallets that night.

I got a facebook message from someone in Dublin who found my wallet on the train. He turned it into the police station and I picked it up a couple days later. I had about 110 euro in cash that was gone as well as my debit/credit cards and my license. Fortunately, I still had my old license in my wallet, so the guy who found it was able to look me up on facebook. I broke a finger when punching the guy, but I got all the cards replaced, my finger healed, and I came home from a vacation with a story to tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: terrehawk
Anthony Clark talks briefly about pickpocketing in Italy within the first minute. It's enlightening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT