ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pocket Knives

saran

Senior
May 17, 2011
After the pistol thread I was curious what knives people use.

I had a Spyderco Police model (serrated) back in the 80s when Spyderco wasn't as well known. It was great multipurpose knife but I lost it somewhere along the line. Recently I got a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 since it seems to be the favorite EDC among the knifers. It is a solid knife but its actually too sharp imo. I've cut myself a few times already (once while cutting up saucy baby back ribs I had in the car). I think I might like some kind of tanto - and maybe half serrated (lot of people despise the dual blades). Anyone have anything like that?

For a throw-away camp knife I have Smith and Wesson Search and Rescue which for $30 is pretty decent. I want a good machete and there are lots of fancy and expensive versions these days but people who use them a lot still swear by the cheap Tramontinas

Amazon product ASIN B00367P3TC

Con

I had a Spyderco Police model (serrated) back in the 80s when Spyderco wasn't as well known. It was great multipurpose knife but I lost it somewhere along the line. Recently I got a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 since it seems to be the favorite EDC among the knifers. It is a solid knife but its actually too sharp imo. I've cut myself a few times already (once while cutting up saucy baby back ribs I had in the car). I think I might like some kind of tanto - and maybe half serrated (lot of people despise the dual blades). Anyone have anything like that?

For a throw-away camp knife I have Smith and Wesson Search and Rescue which for $30 is pretty decent. I want a good machete and there are lots of fancy and expensive versions these days but people who use them a lot still swear by the cheap Tramontinas

Condor machetes are one of the best brands. Made in El Salvador. Get them off Amazon.com.

Con

Condor machetes are one of the best brands. Made in El Salvador. Get them off Amazon.com.

Thanks - their parang looks serious. One reviewer gives a warning that reminds me of my knife issue (treacherously razor sharp)

"First, let me state my history with machetes. I live in 9 acres of jungle in Hawaii. I own multiple different types, styles, and weights of machetes and have logged many hundreds of hours using them to perform duties like making trails, clearing brush, and removing trees. This machete is my favorite. It has enough heft and thickness to the blade to easily take down 4-5 inch hardwood limbs or trunks.... If you would miss your target and carelessly strike your shin or companion with this machete, somebody will be going to the emergency room for stitches. This is a serious machete for professionals...."

Amazon product ASIN B004WMFNX6

The parang is also described as having "108 sculpted vents". I have no idea what that means.
I might be better off with the Bear Grylls Parang for camping lol. The Condor sounds like a samurai sword.

The one I have did arrive razor sharp. The leather sheath is good quality. Most other sheaths are ChiCom crap.

Folding carry is a Gerber Paraframe that I've had pretty much forever. It takes a honing really well and is sturdy enough to have lasted for decades.

Are all of these used for personal safety?

Not primarily. You have to be pretty close to use an edge so its not really high on my self defense list. I hike, trail/road bike a lot so a variety of edges are always useful. I also used to date/analyze period buildings a lot and had to cut paint/plaster/wood samples to put in epoxy for microscope. It was easier to use a good knife with a strong tip than a scalpel since I could be taking a couple dozen thick samples. My first police model spyderco was for cutting things like seat belts (there is a better model now without the tip) but it was great for samples.

Thinking defensively, I would rather run away than get in a knife situation. The only scenario I could envision would perhaps be with the many battle dogs people decide its ok to let off the leash in the woods (I've come up on bears too). I've run into a few that would have liked to eat me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyHuey
Nor is it a 'lawful' purpose in this god forsaken state.

I carry a Kershaw Cryo. A gentlmans edc...

I'll probably get one of those since they are on sale @ slickdeals every other week. The picky edge-crowd complain about Chinese steel but I might like something a little less sharp to eat ribs in parking lot with lol.

I'll probably get one of those since they are on sale @ slickdeals every other week. The picky edge-crowd complain about Chinese steel but I might like something a little less sharp to eat ribs in parking lot with lol.

Funny... I have two blades from Cold Steel - an 18" machete and a survival knife. The former arrived with not much of an edge on it and took some work to get it sharp. The latter came out of the box so ridiculously lethal that you have to actually be carefully handling the damn thing.

The latter came out of the box so ridiculously lethal that you have to actually be carefully handling the damn thing.

That's where I'm at with the Paramilitary 2. Got another little cut today. Odd thing is that when getting cut I don't feel it at the time. I only realize I got cut latter. I've never even had that with razors.

0110BRS-B.jpg

I know a lot of guys who have that knife or some that look like it. A lot of them get it for the wood look of the handle more then the blade. Seems like not a bad idea after a couple days of sticking myself

I carry a Syderco Delica or Paramilitary depending on the occasion. I also have a tomahawk, kukri and a couple of Ka-Bars. I have other crappy generic knives in packs and glove compartments everywhere.

I know a lot of guys who have that knife or some that look like it. A lot of them get it for the wood look of the handle more then the blade. Seems like not a bad idea after a couple days of sticking myself

If you want a nice handle, forget "wood look" and go for a Helle - beautiful, wood-handled knives from Norway. They dealt exclusively in fixed blades up until a couple of years ago when they launched their first folder, the Dokka - triple laminated steel blade, birch handle, leather carrying pouch - almost too nice to use, lol. http://www.helle.no/products/knives/dokka/.

Dokka_knife_445.jpg

I purchased a Kershaw folding knife in 1990. I've used it only once since then. I brought it fly fishing and camping several times throughout the years but it remained in my pocket. I love having it but I haven't found too many uses for it.

I purchased a Kershaw folding knife in 1990. I've used it only once since then. I brought it fly fishing and camping several times throughout the years but it remained in my pocket. I love having it but I haven't found too many uses for it.

Yeah, I'm with you. I have a Helle fixed blade and a couple of Swiss Army knives that basically sit in a box and travel back and forth between the campground and home. Think I used the Helle once or twice for cutting margarita limes.

Now this thing gets some use, not because of the hatchet or folding tools, which are all but useless, but because of that little hammer on back - great for knocking in tent stakes.

10077905.jpg

Reactions: batts
Leatherman Wave. I'm never caught without a set of pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers, scissors, etc. Great for on-the-job, tailgating, working around the house, whatever.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Leatherman Wave. I'm never caught without a set of pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers, scissors, etc. Great for on-the-job, tailgating, working around the house, whatever.
Love my leatherman and use it constantly, but really you buy a leatherman for the pliers,etc, not the blade....... I often carry a dedicated knife in addition to the leatherman.

If you want a nice handle, forget "wood look" and go for a Helle - beautiful, wood-handled knives from Norway. They dealt exclusively in fixed blades up until a couple of years ago when they launched their first folder, the Dokka - triple laminated steel blade, birch handle, leather carrying pouch - almost too nice to use, lol. http://www.helle.no/products/knives/dokka/.

Dokka_knife_445.jpg

Yes that's a nice looking knife. Reminds me of something stockbrokers give as stocking stuffers. Looks like a fussy blade to sharpen

I only handled one for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was surprised how solid and heavy it was. I think I'm used to picking up those $8 cheapies at Sears and Home Cheapo

I love knives but cannot bring myself to spend a lot of money on one. My most expensive pocket knife is a alox scale victorinox pioneer, I also have a CRKT Nirk Novo. I have a Victorinox Spirit multi-tool but I don;t consider that a pocket knife.

I have a numbe rof inexpensive knives that even though they are low cost are good quality. Basicaly made in china but in the same factory and same materials as the china made kershaw and sog. They are SRM and Enlan brands they use the 8Cr13Mov steel and actually have decent heat treat and QC. Also the Rough Rider brand makes solid knives if you like the old school slip joints. I have a trapper and congress pattern from them.

For bushcraft I have a Condor bushlore, of course a Mora Clipper, and I have a knife I made myself out of 1084 carbon steel 3/16 thick 4 3/4 blade.

I also have a small 3" fixed blade gifted to me by a custom maker SDS knifeworks.

I agree on the Leatherman. Nice to have in a pinch. Have one in the truck and in the bag.

I carry a Benchmade Contego and a Leatherman daily. As others have noted the Leatherman is less for the blade and more for the other tools on it. I have several Leatherman knives but I most often carry the "Charge" or the Skeletool. I have a few other knives but those three see the most daily use.

The Benchmade was expensive but it is well made in the United States and the customer service is top notch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT