ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

So, with Octoberfest, and your guys posts talking about good German beers, I'm trying to get into some German beers but not having much success.

Bought a 6 of Franziskaner Weissbier, which I sort of remembered as a beer I did not like much, and as it turns out I don't. A sweet banana type flavor/aroma going on there.

Then I got a Spaten Oktoberfest which was OK, but if you had told me it was a Heineken I would have completely fell for it.

Bought a 6 of Franziskaner Weissbier, which I sort of remembered as a beer I did not like much, and as it turns out I don't. A sweet banana type flavor/aroma going on there.
I copied this from a brewer site:

Wheat Yeasts tend to produce a great deal of esters and phenols; extra flavours that have come about during the fermentation process. Wheat beers rely on these esters for their banana-like flavour. So there’s the solution: Wheat beers taste like banana because of the esters and phenols produced by the yeast!

For this reason it’s important to be careful when pitching your yeast in wheat beers – Make a substantial starter and be sure to use the right amount of yeast. It’s been said before “Brewers don’t make beers – Yeast do. Brewers make wort”. It’s true, look after your yeast!

Some of the best wheat beers in the world are widely available in bottle shops in Australia for reasonable prices. Keep an eye out for Weihenstephaner, Erdinger, and Franziskaner – All excellent examples of the style.

Reactions: RU-05
So, with Octoberfest, and your guys posts talking about good German beers, I'm trying to get into some German beers but not having much success.

Then I got a Spaten Oktoberfest which was OK, but if you had told me it was a Heineken I would have completely fell for it.

I’m not a fan of the Marzen (Octoberfest) style German beer but I do like many others. Hefeweizen is a good place to start.

Try some German pilsners, bocks and weizen bocks as well. You may like them better. Start with brands like Weihenstephaner, Paulaner and Hofbrau. Solid brewers who make good beers across the board. If I judged German beers by the Octoberfests I’ve had I probably wouldn’t like German beers.

Reactions: RU-05
Saint B12 is easily my favorite accessible beer I can get. Just got the Xocoveza in. Haven't had yet but will.
How much xocoveza did you get? The store I go to normally up in central nj only got a case. I snagged a six pack of it.

Stone Xocoveza and St. Bernardus Abt 12 are excellent shelf beers you can get almost anywhere.

Kane 2557 is just as amazing the 2nd time. Wish I had a dozen more.
I was just at kane today. They still have 2557 and 2555 along with a ton of other releases. Not sure what’s left at this point but check it out if you’re passing by.

Reactions: Leonard23
Was able to have the 2018 Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest on draft and I liked it much more than the 2017 version.

Had a Kane Sneakbox Pale Ale. It was a good beer, but I am kind of getting sick of all these hazy IPA especially when they are slapping other names on them. Very little about the beer said Pale Ale.
That’s why I’m such a big fan of Kane. These hazy ipas are great and I love them, but I really enjoy drinking and learning about other styles.

Kane brews ipas, stouts, porters, brown ales, lagers, witbiers, kolsch, saison, quads, etc.

That’s why I’m such a big fan of Kane. These hazy ipas are great and I love them, but I really enjoy drinking and learning about other styles.

Kane brews ipas, stouts, porters, brown ales, lagers, witbiers, kolsch, saison, quads, etc.

Love Kane beers and have known Michael Kane for at least a year before he opened the brewery. He had a great strategy and has executed that strategy very well.

My only regret is that he never implemented a Mug Club type of premium membership there that would give paying members first crack at special releases. Lord knows I suggested it to him and his Dad a number of times, ha!

For those in the Hackettstown area check our Czigmeister Brewing. I knew Matt Czigler pretty well when he was lead brewer at Kane until 2014 when he started Czigmeister. Nice kid, well educated in the sciences of brewing beer and an excellent brewer.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I was just at kane today. They still have 2557 and 2555 along with a ton of other releases. Not sure what’s left at this point but check it out if you’re passing by.
Thanks for the heads up. I ended up grabbing a few more last weekend. Crazy that they still have these, as 2557 is better than this year's ANTEAD, and 2555 is an excellent Belgian quad.

Awesome beers from last night:
2016 Kane ANTEAD Vanilla, 2017 Kane Mexican Brunch, Kane 2555, and 2017 Cigar City Hunahpu's.
Equilibrium Special Relativity and Pizza Boys Sunny Side Up Little Amps Double Coffee were good too. Tree House Single Shot was ok but the weakest by far.

Reactions: ajwsc1987
Trillium Peanut Butter PM Dawn stout is good. PM dawn is always good, and this is a smooth stout with a hint of peanut butter.
Love stouts, love peanut butter but... [sick]
But to each it's own. Sell tons of Sweet Baby Jesus and Crunch.

Love stouts, love peanut butter but... [sick]
But to each it's own. Sell tons of Sweet Baby Jesus and Crunch.
This was a very subtle PB, nowhere near as much PB as Sweet Baby Jesus, which I like too, but haven't had in a few yrs.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I bought both the brandy BA and the bourbon BA Aun Mas A Jesus by Evil Twin tonight as well as Pipeworks End of Days and Kees RIS. CBS is out but I'm more interested in 18 BA Ten Fidy and Cigar City 18 Marshal Zhukov's RIS. Hoping Prairie sends some Christmas Bomb bottles as well.

Last edited:
I bought both the brandy BA and the bourbon BA Aun Mas A Jesus by Evil Twin tonight as well as Pipeworks End of Days and JKees RIS. CBS is out but I'm more interested in 18 BA Ten Fidy and Cigar City 18 Marshal Zhukov's RIS. Hoping Prairie sends some Christmas Bomb bottles as well.
CBS was a disaster last year. Not sure I want to grab a bottle this yr. I heard Christmas Bomb is in some NJ stores already. Hoping to grab some when they have it closer to me.
Had a xocoveza to hold me over. Picking up my Kane Sunday Brunch tomorrow.
Xocoveza is good stuff. Can't wait to get my Sunday Brunch too.

Victory 18 Java Cask variants include a Maple variant and one other one. Still wish they'd revive the Rye Whiskey BA variant. The variants will be released at Victory on Thanksgiving Eve as usual. Id kill for River Horse Jameson BA Craic to be revived if not now, for St. Patrick's Day.

Victory 18 Java Cask variants include a Maple variant and one other one. Still wish they'd revive the Rye Whiskey BA variant. The variants will be released at Victory on Thanksgiving Eve as usual. Id kill for River Horse Jameson BA Craic to be revived if not now, for St. Patrick's Day.
Hoping we see Victory at Sea BA again this year

Hoping we see Victory at Sea BA again this year
High West BA Victory at Sea has been confirmed for the year. So is Lagunitas Willettized. I can build my verts for both as I still have a few 17 bottles. I have managed to find 17 Rum BA Pumking and am starting a vert with that as well as I have an 18 bottle.

Prairie Christmas Bomb is in Central Jersey now I hear, and River Horse is releasing their new Caskmates series the weekend before Thanksgiving. River Horse Craic was delicious and frankly would be an outstanding beer for St. Patrick's Day. Best Irish Dry Stout I've ever had, aged in Jameson barrels. They have 3 new Jameson BA beers this year.

The BCBS list? I have to check it out again. Heard Philly is getting 7 variants plus the original.
2018 BCBS Black Friday details:

Release will be at 8am at
The Beer Outlet
189 Franklin Mills Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19154

Goose samplings, and giveaways will be available with more details to follow...

Allocations:
BCBS ‘18 - 6 Bottle Limit
BCBS ‘17 - 6 Bottle Limit
Vanilla - 6 Bottle Limit
Midnight Orange - 3 Btl Limit
Coffee Barleywine - 2 Btl Limit
Wheatwine - 2 Btl Limit
Bramble Rye - 2 Btl Limit

First 50 Full Allocations guaranteed!

2018 BCBS Black Friday details:

Release will be at 8am at
The Beer Outlet
189 Franklin Mills Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19154

Goose samplings, and giveaways will be available with more details to follow...

Allocations:
BCBS ‘18 - 6 Bottle Limit
BCBS ‘17 - 6 Bottle Limit
Vanilla - 6 Bottle Limit
Midnight Orange - 3 Btl Limit
Coffee Barleywine - 2 Btl Limit
Wheatwine - 2 Btl Limit
Bramble Rye - 2 Btl Limit

First 50 Full Allocations guaranteed!
5 variants plus 17. Damn good list. My beer cellar will be fatter between now and Christmas. I really want to get my hands on Christmas Bomb.

Drinking Pipeworks Imperial End of Days. Its okay but the heat from the peppers overpowers the coffee and cocoa. To me, its a poor man's Westbrook Mexican Cake. Nowhere near as good as Bomb or Abraxas or Mexican Cake.

New the Philly market and just delivered.
Bronx Brewery
Revision, out of Nevada
Cambridge
Paradox, Upstate NY

Only have had Bronx Brewery. Anyone have any of these before?

New the Philly market and just delivered.
Bronx Brewery
Revision, out of Nevada
Cambridge
Paradox, Upstate NY

Only have had Bronx Brewery. Anyone have any of these before?
Bronx is the only one I've had out of the group, okay brewery. Cambridge and Paradox have been in South Jersey but never gotten around to trying anything from either brewery.

Bronx is the only one I've had out of the group, okay brewery. Cambridge and Paradox have been in South Jersey but never gotten around to trying anything from either brewery.
Actually looking at the logo I have had Paradox before up in Saratoga. Only on draft. Their Pale Ale is great.

2018 Kane Sunday Brunch is awesome...but 2017 Sunday Brunch was better. 2017 Morning Bell was also better than 2018 Morning Bell.

Last edited:
I like Three 3's stuff down there. South Jersey has a nice set of craft breweriew with Tonewood in Oaklyn, Spellbound in Mount Holly, Three 3's, Cape May, Ludlam Island.
Make sure you hit Double Nickel in Pennsauken and Lunacy in Haddon Heights.
Tonewood and Spellbound are two of my favorites.

ADVERTISEMENT