ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Thanks, I have tried that (neighbor is a beer snob who can't fathom that I don't love being hop bombed). It helped a bit, but it's just way too much. I mean, I can drink them, but I don't enjoy it. No matter, there's plenty of beer I do like.
I used to dislike IPA's as well. Hopslam completely turned me around. It has become my go to summer beer.

I've never been a fan of candy and fruit flavored beers, but to each his own.

Right now I'm really enjoying IPAs. Kane Head High is by far the best local brew right now. If you have a chance to visit the brewery in Ocean you should check it out. They have an Imperial IPA aged in bourbon barrels on tap that is out of this world.
Haven't had any commendable barrel aged IPA's. The hops seem to dissipate over time and they end up tasting more like barley wines.

Did you mean New Belgium's Fat Tire that recently started showing up in CNJ? I absolutely loved this beer on frequent trips to the Midwest but recently bought a 12 pack and wasn't as enamored for some reason.
I used to spend a lot of time in DC and loved it there so I was really happy when they announced NJ distribution. Agree that the bottles have been disappointing but Pier 13 in Hoboken has it on tap and I'm liking it more that way.

The watermelon one wasn't bad either.

Haven't had any commendable barrel aged IPA's. The hops seem to dissipate over time and they end up tasting more like barley wines.

The Kane beer is called Parhelion. Hoppy up front with a bourbon bite on the back end. If you ever get a chance to try it def do so.

Reactions: rutexan84
Look, I appreciate innovation, but WTF happened to beer that tastes like beer??!? :chairshot:

6003752248_2809181ea6_b.jpg

woriginal.jpg

Reactions: jerseyjustin
The only IPA I've found that I've enjoyed is Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA. IPAs usually make me want to shave my tongue.

Some other beers that I enjoy that I haven't seen mentioned so far:
dogfish_jiahu.jpg

southern-tier-creme-brulee.jpg

7f67571c2b7811e2806d22000a1f9e4d_7.jpg

belhaven-scottish-ale.jpg
TBS_ESB_AND_GLASS.jpg

Reactions: BleedScarlet1
I think the Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale was one of my favorites on my trip out to Colorado. Also enjoyed Fort Collins Brewery, if I remember right.

Did you go to Tommyknockers? Always loved their brewery in that weird little 19th century mining town (Idaho Springs) right off I-70. Nice waterfall across the highway, at least during peak runoff times. Food was always good, too.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Did you go to Tommyknockers? Always loved their brewery in that weird little 19th century mining town (Idaho Springs) right off I-70. Nice waterfall across the highway, at least during peak runoff times. Food was always good, too.

We did - really enjoyed the place. Good food, good beer - the Maple Nut Brown was our favorite, but they weren't bottling it yet at that point. Now we've been able to get some six-packs of it out here in NJ, but it was better on tap. We hit a bunch of breweries on the trip - Tommyknocker, Fort Collins Brewery, Odell Brewery, Fat Tire, Mainstreet Brewery (Cortez)... probably a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
The ones I have regular (or semi-regular) access to - Treehouse, Trillium, Nightshift, Bissell brothers, Oxbow, Maine Beer Co..

Kudos to you pratyk for some awesome beer choices in your post. Each time I travel to Boston for a game at Fenway the past few years I make a stop at Trillium in the Fort Point section of the city. But the lines on Saturdays have gotten so long that I I couldn't do it last month before the afternoon game.

Love the Maine beers and have heard great things about Nightshift. Boston area microbreweries rock the house !

For anybody in the North Carolina/Georgia area, there is a great local brewery in Asheville NC [awesome town by the way] called Highland Brewing Company and they make a great Oatmeal Beer but my favorite by far is Garlic Ale. They can also be purchased at local liquor stores and Krogers.

Last edited:
Any opinions on High Point Brewery in Butler, NJ? Probably closest brewery to where I live.

For anybody in the North Carolina/Georgia there is a great local brewery in Asheville NC called Highland Brewing Company and they make a great Oatmeal Beer but my favorite by far is Garlic Ale. They can also be purchased at local liquor stores and Krogers.
I do not believe they distribute as far north nj yet. They recently hired a new head brewer who came from Stone. I think their beers are actually improving since she came onboard.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
Any opinions on High Point Brewery in Butler, NJ? Probably closest brewery to where I live.
Their signature beer is Ramstein in different varieties. I like the regular blonde ale, but they have wheat and flavored. They recently opened a pub across from the PO in Bloomingdale on Main St so I'm sure you can sample anything.
The brewery is on Kiel Ave in the old rubber company building. They probably still do tours and it's not a large operation. I use to work with the wife at Mercedes. Nice people too.

Reactions: borochop
Thanks, I have tried that (neighbor is a beer snob who can't fathom that I don't love being hop bombed). It helped a bit, but it's just way too much. I mean, I can drink them, but I don't enjoy it. No matter, there's plenty of beer I do like.
I'll give it a try, as I'm not a big fan of overhopped IPA's. Deschutes Brewery, out of Bend, Oregon, has a great grapefruit IPA. Can't wait to try it with any kind of OYSTERS! Deschutes makes many other good beers, with Black Butte Porter being my favorite. Readily available back East?

I'll give it a try, as I'm not a big fan of overhopped IPA's. Deschutes Brewery, out of Bend, Oregon, has a great grapefruit IPA. Can't wait to try it with any kind of OYSTERS! Deschutes makes many other good beers, with Black Butte Porter being my favorite. Readily available back East?

I don't think I've seen it, but then again I haven't looked. I like porters so I'll keep an eye out.

Their signature beer is Ramstein in different varieties. I like the regular blonde ale, but they have wheat and flavored. They recently opened a pub across from the PO in Bloomingdale on Main St so I'm sure you can sample anything.
The brewery is on Kiel Ave in the old rubber company building. They probably still do tours and it's not a large operation. I use to work with the wife at Mercedes. Nice people too.
Minor correction, it's not really different "varieties" of Ramstein, they are all separate beers with completely different recipes. Ramstein is just the brand name of beers produced by High Point, just like Sam Adams is produced by Boston Beer Company. As for their beers, I haven't seen too many make their way down to Central Jersey, but I have had Ramstein Classic which is a dunkelweizen and really liked it. They make mostly German styles, so if you're not really into stouts and IPAs, they may be your thing. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/607/?sort=avgD&view=beers

I don't think I've seen it, but then again I haven't looked. I like porters so I'll keep an eye out.
You won't find them in New Jersey. Shouldn't be too hard to spot them if you're ever around Philly though. I'm not sure about New York.

Look, I appreciate innovation, but WTF happened to beer that tastes like beer??!? :chairshot:
It seems that you are erroneously insinuating that stouts, IPAs, etc. are new. Many, if not most, popular craft beer styles predate "light beer."

You won't find them in New Jersey. Shouldn't be too hard to spot them if you're ever around Philly though. I'm not sure about New York.
This gang needs to call the butt kissing Fat Boy. He'd probably love it . If he can close a bridge, he can get Deschutes into Jersey!:scream:

Dusseldorf is a great beer/party city. Little glasses (.2 L, I think) of altbier for 1.10, right in the middle of the street during weekends in the summer months. What seems like miles of outdoor bars/restaurants along the river, many with big outdoor TVs playing soccer. An old town with restaurants, breweries, bars, etc stuffed into a couple blocks. Just a fun, underrated city for drinking, eating and partying.

I think Uerige was the one that had a bar set up on the street. Fun place, good beer.

They just announced they are opening up a east coast brewery in Virginia. So we should be able to get their stuff on the east coast soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT