ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Sierra-Nevada-Kellerweis.jpg

It seems that you are erroneously insinuating that stouts, IPAs, etc. are new. Many, if not most, popular craft beer styles predate "light beer."
Sure, I'll drink lager, but I prefer amber ales and stouts. I consider beer styles, 'beer'. I just don't have the same appreciation for flavored beers. I know, I know, you have lambic beers which have fruit flavoring since the dawn of time and chocolate-flavored stout shortly after Columbus discovered the New World, but I find the flavorings to be too gimmicky.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Kudos to you pratyk for some awesome beer choices in your post. Each time I travel to Boston for a game at Fenway the past few years I make a stop at Trillium in the Fort Point section of the city. But the lines on Saturdays have gotten so long that I I couldn't do it last month before the afternoon game.

Love the Maine beers and have heard great things about Nightshift. Boston area microbreweries rock the house !

Trillium has a Tap room at their new brewery which is about 25-30 mins out of Boston - they're doing a collaboration with Other Half (another one of the NY area ones I love along with Grimm and a few others) - I'm actually headed there this afternoon to pick up a few brews & try more..

Their Fortpoint location's always popular - hard to know when it's a good time - I've been decently lucky to avoid lines on Friday afternoons.

Reactions: waveslider
Pleasantly surprised by this one I tried recently:

sapparoHERO.jpg

Also had the New Belgium Watermelon Lime this month. First few bottles I tasted had more lime than melon and then started tasting the melon. Good stuff. The fall back is NB's Fat Tire and try to buy that in cans.

I went to Conclave Brewery in Flemington/Raritan yesterday. Small startup so it's nice to support that. Beer was pretty good. Solid IPA and Pale Ale. A good milk stout and an interesting Mexican morning stout that has a little kick (not my thing, but interesting). Worth checking out if any beer nerds are in the area. Cool growlers to go too. I got one of the IPA.

One of my buddies works on the bottling line at River Horse. He gets to take home bottles that are either overfilled or underfilled, which is awesome for our tailgates. I haven't been too crazy about many of their beers, but their new IPA, Hippotizing, is actually pretty good.

Anyone been to Cypress in Edison? Their owner is a Rutgers alum. I think their beers are just okay though.

I haven't been yet. Do they do growler fills there, or are they open just for tastings?

Pleasantly surprised by this one I tried recently:

sapparoHERO.jpg

Also had the New Belgium Watermelon Lime this month. First few bottles I tasted had more lime than melon and then started tasting the melon. Good stuff. The fall back is NB's Fat Tire and try to buy that in cans.
Had that NB W/L on tap, but couldn't really get a distinct taste of either.
Still was very good.

Was in Cali last week and made a side trip to The Russian River Brewery (one of the top rated micro-breweries in the country). Blind Pig and Pliney the Elder were both top. Wish we could get 'em here

I'll give it a try, as I'm not a big fan of overhopped IPA's. Deschutes Brewery, out of Bend, Oregon, has a great grapefruit IPA. Can't wait to try it with any kind of OYSTERS! Deschutes makes many other good beers, with Black Butte Porter being my favorite. Readily available back East?

I was just there this weekend. Deschutes is opening an east coast brewery in Roanoke. I imagine that will help the distribution situation quite a bit.

I had a summer beer competition a couple years ago where I probably tried over 25 beers and Sea Dog Sunfish was the favorite. I found it at Wegmans but haven't really seen it around elsewhere.

Was in Cali last week and made a side trip to The Russian River Brewery (one of the top rated micro-breweries in the country). Blind Pig and Pliney the Elder were both top. Wish we could get 'em here
How do you think they compare to Head High, Overhead, and 077XX? To be honest, I think the IPAs produced by Kane and Carton are right up there with Russian River. I think Russian River gets a lot of hype because probably about five or so years ago, Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger were about as good as you can get, but in recent years plenty of new breweries and beers have been popping up and while theirs are still very good, I wouldn't consider them the best anymore. Russian River is basically the pioneers of world class IPAs and they certainly deserve credit for that, but fortunately such quality is now being produced by more breweries.

Anyway, as for getting them here, if you're willing to make a trip to Philly, Pliny the Elder isn't too hard to find if you check www.phillytapfinder.com every now and then. Right now it doesn't look like anyone is listing Elder as being on tap, but two places have Blind Pig. Philly is also one of three places that gets Pliny the Younger (the others being Colorado and obviously the brewery). The amount of effort involved in actually getting it makes it not worth it though in my opinion. You need to find out in advance which bars will be getting it and exactly what day and time they will be putting it on tap (generally late February/early March), and in most cases you need to get to the bar a while before that time to ensure you get some before it kicks. All for a beer that I'm not even sure is better than what is being produced right here in NJ and is always on tap at the breweries.

How do you think they compare to Head High, Overhead, and 077XX? To be honest, I think the IPAs produced by Kane and Carton are right up there with Russian River. I think Russian River gets a lot of hype because probably about five or so years ago, Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger were about as good as you can get, but in recent years plenty of new breweries and beers have been popping up and while theirs are still very good, I wouldn't consider them the best anymore. Russian River is basically the pioneers of world class IPAs and they certainly deserve credit for that, but fortunately such quality is now being produced by more breweries.

Anyway, as for getting them here, if you're willing to make a trip to Philly, Pliny the Elder isn't too hard to find if you check www.phillytapfinder.com every now and then. Right now it doesn't look like anyone is listing Elder as being on tap, but two places have Blind Pig. Philly is also one of three places that gets Pliny the Younger (the others being Colorado and obviously the brewery). The amount of effort involved in actually getting it makes it not worth it though in my opinion. You need to find out in advance which bars will be getting it and exactly what day and time they will be putting it on tap (generally late February/early March), and in most cases you need to get to the bar a while before that time to ensure you get some before it kicks. All for a beer that I'm not even sure is better than what is being produced right here in NJ and is always on tap at the breweries.

https://www.beermenus.com seems to be another good resource to find out when your favorite beers are nearby.

Reactions: RU_Planning
if you ever get a chance to go to Wisconsin, try any of the New Glarus beers, notably Spotted Cow and Moon Man. some of the best beers ive ever had.

Had some new beers Saturday night, rating on 1-5.
Carolina Brown Ale 4.0
Alpine Hoppy Birthday 4.25
Sole Artisan Juicebox NE IPA 4.5
Starr Hill Northern Lights 4.5
Rogue Siracha Stout 4.0
Lost Rhino Woody Stout 3.5
Long Trail Smash Project Golden Promise/Citra 4.5

I'm taking a trip to Oregon next month and hope to find Pliny the Elder either on tap or in bottles. We don't get it in Texas. I've found that most of these beers tend to be over hyped so I go in with lower expectations.

I'm taking a trip to Oregon next month and hope to find Pliny the Elder either on tap or in bottles. We don't get it in Texas. I've found that most of these beers tend to be over hyped so I go in with lower expectations.
Please report back. Pliny the Elder is on my list but thus far I haven't found it anywhere. I'll likely hit California at some point this year so maybe I can find it there. I agree with your comment about the hype but I just want to try it and taste for myself.

Tried a Gose this weekend from a local brewery. Not my favorite style but interesting as it is brewed with water from the Gulf of Mexico. Citrus and obvious saltiness that is a characteristic of a Gose.

8dadf1c5125918a2d4abde9935ae131b_raw.jpg

I get your point about cost , effort, and comparison (which is always subjective). All that aside Russian River was definitely worth the side trip. It probably has a select few equals on the taste side, but overall RR had a huge selection of high quality brews. They had an 18 flight sampler and some of the sours aside, I enjoyed them all.

Reactions: robcac26
if you ever get a chance to go to Wisconsin, try any of the New Glarus beers, notably Spotted Cow and Moon Man. some of the best beers ive ever had.

Was in Madison last year and New Glarus Spotted Cow was my favorite. It would definitely be a go to beer for me if I could get it here!

Mentioned trying a couple of the New Belgium beers now available in NJ and yesterday picked up a 12 pack of Snapshot. I like wheat beers generally and this one was tart which was a nice change from the usual sweet.

w1125048pf_1.jpg

Mentioned trying a couple of the New Belgium beers now available in NJ and yesterday picked up a 12 pack of Snapshot. I like wheat beers generally and this one was tart which was a nice change from the usual sweet.

w1125048pf_1.jpg

If you like tart wheats, Leinenkugel has a beergarten tart that's quite good. I know some people get bent out of shape cause it's owned by one of the big beer cos, but their beers are solid, which is really the point.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Headed to the Ship Inn for a few pints later today. I'll report back.
My personal reenactment of July 3rd 1776. Last pints under British rule - I'll have a hot dog and some apple pie tomorrow.
Tried these on tap. All very good and highly recommended, in order of preference:
1. Best Bitter
2. Barely Legal Golden Ale
3. Killer Bee

That would be great. Always gets high ratings.. would love to see if it is deserved,

Some great beers here. The best beer for me is anyone which is in my hand...provided it isn't a Bud product. But I support the local microbrews the most. Carton, Kane, Magnify, Cricket Hill, Twin Elephants, etc. Pick up a pizza and head to any of their taprooms..that's the way to go.

Total Hop Head here, Pliny the Elder already mentioned, and Blind Pig IPA from Russian River are two of the best on the Left Coast. Back East, check out the Evil Twin (Brooklyn) beers, all excellent:

prt_300x630_1417702790.jpg
prt_300x630_1413985857.jpg
prt_300x630_1413922460.jpg

Some great beers here. The best beer for me is anyone which is in my hand...provided it isn't a Bud product. But I support the local microbrews the most. Carton, Kane, Magnify, Cricket Hill, Twin Elephants, etc. Pick up a pizza and head to any of their taprooms..that's the way to go.

Flounder brewing in Hillsborough is good, and so is Cypress Brewing in Edison

http://www.flounderbrewing.com/age.php

http://cypressbrewing.com/

Demented in Middlesex, http://www.dementedbrewing.com/ , also does a good job with most of their beers. Doesn't reach the highs of Cane or Carton, but on par with the rest of the locals. Heading over in a bit to pick up a couple of growlers for tonight.

Flounder brewing in Hillsborough is good, and so is Cypress Brewing in Edison

http://www.flounderbrewing.com/age.php

http://cypressbrewing.com/

I was going to hit Cypress after Rutgers wrestled Northwestern, but opted to go to Twin Elephants on that Sunday...which is closer to me. Twin was closed..I haven't been to Cypress yet but hope to get there soon. I was at Twin last night. Have a growler of their black IPA for the Super Bowl today at my buddy's house. He has Arrogant Bastard and All Day IPA on tap at his house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT