ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

DSC_0638.jpg

Reactions: BleedScarlet1
On the road I had a Fat Tire at a restaurant in Walterboro,SC. with my meal.Really enjoyed the Beer. Next day I had the runs. Probably the Food,

IPA lovers should try "Punk IPA" by Brew Dog. It's one of the few IPA's that are readily available here in Europe, but they're getting quite famous.

My current favorite. They only distribute to Connecticut and Vermont, and even in those states, it's really hard to get:

2114F442551D5C932194D0

Excellent brew!

I like the porch rocker as well for a summer beer, tried it this weekend. Kane Head High is my favorite local beer, not easy to find down here in cape may county though. I always keep some of these in the garage fridge when I'm just thirsty. They go down like water but still taste pretty good. It reminds me of freshman year in HS, my friend and I would split a 6 pack and get drunk.

70991cf7-cc1d-498c-8140-cb84f77f7469.jpg

Screamers!!!

Five (and a bonus group) Favorites for Summer (cans are key when poolside):

westbrook-gose.jpg

HDR-Can-1110x626.jpg

CiGqA5VWUAEL3Zz.jpg

ZXhhY3RTaXplPTEmdz04MDAmaD02MDAmbWk9MGYwZWM2MjQtNzViZS00NTc5LWI5OGItM2E2ZTU4ZjY4NzZiLmpwZw2.jpg

lCackalackyCan.jpg

destihl-sour.png

Hop Drop and Roll is up towards the top of my list, as well as the Sculpins from Ballast Point.

I had a bud once...hated it! [winking]

I haven't bought or drank a Bud product in over 20 years. For the most part, I even stay away from breweries they take over. I am going to have a hard time with Wicked Weed as they were gobbled up by AB but have some fantastic brews. I don't think I will stay away from Wicked Weed and hopefully AB will ramp up distribution to include NJ .

I've been to a bunch of the NJ locals at this point, and while Kane and Carton deserve the hype they get, Magnify (in my opinion) is the next one to really break out. It's up by Wayne and worth the trip. They make some great beer.

I agree, Magnify has some fantastic brews. First time I was there, they had a bunch of cloudy, unfiltered IPAs which were outstanding. Second time I was there, many of the beers were tapped out and for some reason, the remaining ones didn't captivate me that night. Time for another trip.

If anyone is down in Tampa, Cigar City Brewery has a real nice tap room. First Cigar City Beer was at Crabby Bills in Indian Rocks Beach. On vacation, in the heat, with a beautiful draft pour of Jai Alai in front of me was a thing of perfection. Cigar City was bought out by Oskar Blues and within the last month or so has started to distribute into NJ.

Reactions: waveslider
I haven't bought or drank a Bud product in over 20 years. For the most part, I even stay away from breweries they take over. I am going to have a hard time with Wicked Weed as they were gobbled up by AB but have some fantastic brews. I don't think I will stay away from Wicked Weed and hopefully AB will ramp up distribution to include NJ .
I try to avoid any product that generates revenue for Anheuser-Busch, because even if the beer is good, it still goes to funding anti-craft beer stuff like this:
Anheuser-Busch Monopolizes South African Hop Supply from Craft Breweries

It's unfortunate when good breweries are bought up, but there is no shortage of good beer out there these days that I can get my fix without having to help the enemies of craft beer.

Deschutes is one of my faves, started drinking the Red Chair this year - good stuff. Always liked River Ale, too.

Least Coasters don't know what good beer is ( just busting chops, folks :p :cheers2:)

I try to avoid any product that generates revenue for Anheuser-Busch, because even if the beer is good, it still goes to funding anti-craft beer stuff like this:
Anheuser-Busch Monopolizes South African Hop Supply from Craft Breweries

It's unfortunate when good breweries are bought up, but there is no shortage of good beer out there these days that I can get my fix without having to help the enemies of craft beer.

Thanks for the info..all micros bought out by ABI are now off the table...well, except for the few remaining Wicked Weeds trucked up from NC prior to the takeover announcement. [cheers]

Last edited:
I don't understand why there is a need for all these varieties of so called "beer" . Even the movie theatre out here called Flix Brewhouse has 30 different varieties of mostly fruit flavored "beer". Was all this stuff made to cater to chics because it's not made for real men's taste buds? What the hell happened to the good old fashioned brewski?

E I am going to have a hard time with Wicked Weed as they were gobbled up by AB but have some fantastic brews. I don't think I will stay away from Wicked Weed and hopefully AB will ramp up distribution to include NJ .

Try living a mile from the brewery and now not stepping foot in the place.

Try living a mile from the brewery and now not stepping foot in the place.

The good thing is there are plenty others in Asheville I believe. I hope people are walking in to WW and letting them know their affiliation is turning people away. I dont think there significant numbers banning them/not drinking their beer now, but WW should be aware their new owner is driving away the very people they intended to attract to their business.

Drove by Saturday and it was packed as usual. It seems only locals and people involved in the craft beer world are not going. But, all the tourist and most other people do not know or care that is owned by AB.

Luckily I do have 27 or so other options to go to within 5 miles of my house.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I don't understand why there is a need for all these varieties of so called "beer" . Even the movie theatre out here called Flix Brewhouse has 30 different varieties of mostly fruit flavored "beer". Was all this stuff made to cater to chics because it's not made for real men's taste buds? What the hell happened to the good old fashioned brewski?
Actually it was light beer that was created to make beer more appealing to girls. Ironically there are people who think that drinking light beer instead of craft beer makes them more manly. Would you go into a steakhouse and wonder why there are different types of steak and ask them what happened to the good old Big Mac?

Why are there different kinds of whiskeys, why are there different flavors of soda, why are there different sports, etc?

I agree, Magnify has some fantastic brews. First time I was there, they had a bunch of cloudy, unfiltered IPAs which were outstanding. Second time I was there, many of the beers were tapped out and for some reason, the remaining ones didn't captivate me that night. Time for another trip.

If anyone is down in Tampa, Cigar City Brewery has a real nice tap room. First Cigar City Beer was at Crabby Bills in Indian Rocks Beach. On vacation, in the heat, with a beautiful draft pour of Jai Alai in front of me was a thing of perfection. Cigar City was bought out by Oskar Blues and within the last month or so has started to distribute into NJ.
Jai Alai IPA is now available in NJ, I had it at the Echo Tap & Grill on Rte. 22 in Mountainside the other day..

Reactions: bigmatt718
Actually it was light beer that was created to make beer more appealing to girls. Ironically there are people who think that drinking light beer instead of craft beer makes them more manly.

That would only be ironic if drinking craft beer instead of light beer makes someone more manly (which I don't think would be true either).

Jai Alai IPA is now available in NJ, I had it at the Echo Tap & Grill on Rte. 22 in Mountainside the other day..

I was all over the NJ welcoming party at the Cloverleaf about a month ago. I'm hoping to see more of their offerings outside of Jai Alai, Florida Cracker, Maduro, and Tampa Lager. Some places across the border in NY will get different CCB beers than the ones I mentioned.

Philly Beer Week is next week for me. I plan on hitting POPE in Passyunk for Java Bourbon BA Ten Fidy. Also Modern Times from San Diego will be making their first appearance on the East Coast to anyone who isn't a beer trader.

Was in Cali last week and made a side trip to The Russian River Brewery (one of the top rated micro-breweries in the country). Blind Pig and Pliney the Elder were both top. Wish we could get 'em here

Pliny the Elder occasionally on tap in Philadelphia at Monks. Blind Pig, not as heralded as Pliny but still very good, and less expensive, can frequently be found around Philadelphia at various bars on tap.

Philadelphia beer drinkers:

http://www.phillytapfinder.com/

Monks currently have both Pliny and Blind Pig on tap. They seem to have a good thing going w Russian River Brewery

Eulogy, another great Belgium beer bar, has Dogfish 120 on tap.

Last edited:
Jersey is stepping up with distro. They now have Cigar City, Singlecut, Revolution, Pipeworks and Westbrook. Making it easy to obtain trade bait for my PA craft beer friends.

Reactions: Leonard23
Regrettably, I spent years drinking the fizzy yellow stuff. Luckily, I have a friend who got really into beer and he turned me on to some of the most exciting tastes I've ever known. I didn't like everything, but it is a lot of fun discovering what I do enjoy. I also came to appreciate the history, science, and art of the brewing process.

The ones I have regular (or semi-regular) access to - Treehouse, Trillium, Nightshift, Bissell brothers, Oxbow, Maine Beer Co..

Those of us in New England really are spoiled, aren't we?

The easy access (and getting easier) to Trillium in Boston is silly.

Reactions: alphapapa
Those of us in New England really are spoiled, aren't we?

The easy access (and getting easier) to Trillium in Boston is silly.
Never waited more then 5-10 minutes to buy beer at trillium.

Waiting at breweries like Other Half for hours on the end (for not as great a beer) is overrated.

Reactions: oncampus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT