ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Property tax relief coming for those over 65

you can call it what you want and justify it how you like. I'm not interested in the politics of it all, you can debate that until your head falls off, I do not care. I care about the results, just the results. At the end of the day the RESULTS are there is a major teacher shortage that's only getting worse. So while yes I get where you're coming from and your perspective, just understand that THAT perspective is WHY teachers are leaving... whether you agree with the rationale or not is irrelevant, the results are the results. And yeah while it might be fun to watch on the news and youtube angry parents screaming at school boards and electing new ones, they aren't considering the impact that is having on the new generation of Job seakers.

This also isn't just teachers, it's really anyone who works with youth that are leaving in droves as the parents are becoming unbearable. Little league programs are at the point that they are hiring 13 year olds to umpire games because adult ref's and umpires are leaving in DROVES. They don't want to put up with parents' BS.

As I said initially, I'll say the part everyone is skirting around out loud
The parents bitching at board meetings is relatively new. Last few years and it’s only happening sporadically. While parents do suck, the real reason for teacher shortages was covid. Lots retired, way more than you could replace overnight

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
That’s not the reason why teachers are leaving though. More teachers are leaving now than ever before with fewer college students pursuing the profession. I’m sharing information I have gotten directly from 2 of my best friends, both of whom are former teachers who left the profession to peruse other interests within the last 5 years.

This isn’t about unions and pay, it’s really not. This is about teachers getting sick and tired of parents going insane over things like CRT and pride flags and not wanting to be on the front lines of those parents political battleground. I’d encourage you to ask a teacher, they’ll tell you
Here’s a crazy idea, don’t have. Pride flags or CRT in the classrooms. Maybe just teach? You said repeatedly you didn’t want to get political, then went on a rant about Trump and how everything is his fault. Since you like telling us how it is, as a parent, you kind of sound exactly like the reason people end up at board meetings. Kids shouldn’t know your political views. And no, parents don’t have to “know their audience”. Nobody cares that 75% of young teachers are liberal. Shouldn’t matter, just do your job and teach.

If certain posts in this thread don’t make Message Board Geniuses I will be severely disappointed.

It's absolutely right.

Do you know how many people dropped out of the teacher's union after the Janus decision.
How many of them were pre-tenure? Going to think somewhere close to 0.0.
And Janus had the greatest effect on union membership at the collegiate level not elementary and high school.

Last edited:
It's the Parents! Plain and simple. Just turn on the news and watch as parents are taking over school boards turning schools into political battlegrounds, public school teachers don't wanna deal with it anymore. Point Blank.
What a load of crap! It's Murphy and the Dems, supported ( or controlled ) by the teachers union, who make the school boards political. And teachers on the board of education often act in the best interest of the teachers over what the parents feel is the best interest of the students. Murphy has had the state sue two districts who had the nerve to have a policy that parents should be informed if their child shows interest in transitioning. The Dems feel the children are theirs: parents should stay out of the way. B.S. to that.

Here’s a crazy idea, don’t have. Pride flags or CRT in the classrooms. Maybe just teach? You said repeatedly you didn’t want to get political, then went on a rant about Trump and how everything is his fault. Since you like telling us how it is, as a parent, you kind of sound exactly like the reason people end up at board meetings. Kids shouldn’t know your political views. And no, parents don’t have to “know their audience”. Nobody cares that 75% of young teachers are liberal. Shouldn’t matter, just do your job and teach.
You wanted to know why there’s a teacher shortage… I’m spelling it out for you and you don’t want to accept the answer. You are completely missing the point as to what is causing teachers to LEAVE.

I don’t give a flying F about whats right and wrong in the debate of what’s being taught, I’m simply spelling out to the T why teachers are leaving in droves with no one to replace them. You don’t wanna accept the answer.

you wanna see the proof? You know what state ranks #1 in the country in number of teaching vacancies? Florida…. Now I wonder if there might just be a correlation between their govenor and that…. Hmmm I just wonder. Smh

What a load of crap! It's Murphy and the Dems, supported ( or controlled ) by the teachers union, who make the school boards political. And teachers on the board of education often act in the best interest of the teachers over what the parents feel is the best interest of the students. Murphy has had the state sue two districts who had the nerve to have a policy that parents should be informed if their child shows interest in transitioning. The Dems feel the children are theirs: parents should stay out of the way. B.S. to that

And here we go with of course making it about trans kids.. don’t you guys at the GOP ever get any new material? Didn’t you learn with the midterms just how much the country rejects that? 2024 is honestly going to be hilarious. It’s going to be an absolute embarrassment that a guy who can’t even stay awake will wipe the floor. And yes we can make ANY wager you like on that

Why is it always the people too cheap to pay for premium (so they can go on the CE board) that ruin every thread?

you wanna see the proof? You know what state ranks #1 in the country in number of teaching vacancies? Florida…. Now I wonder if there might just be a correlation between their govenor and that…. Hmmm I just wonder. Smh

Increasing population might also have an impact. Rarely one thing.

• Haha
Du
And here we go with of course making it about trans kids.. don’t you guys at the GOP ever get any new material? Didn’t you learn with the midterms just how much the country rejects that? 2024 is honestly going to be hilarious. It’s going to be an absolute embarrassment that a guy who can’t even stay awake will wipe the floor. And yes we can make ANY wager you like on that
Dude, objectively, it’s pretty funny that the guy who has blamed this whole thing on Trump is now getting upset someone else brought up something you think is political?

Reactions: motorb54
But they're not ALL crazy. Remember the Dad arrested in Loudon County. It turns out, as was later reported in the Washington Post, that his daughter had indeed been sexually assaulted by a self-identified trans student in the school women's room. That was followed by a quiet transfer to another school followed by a second assault which finally resulted in criminal charges.
Great that you found an exception but his point still remains and is a very real one.

The hijack of school board’s by ideologically driven parents who in many cases are funded by ideologically driven shadow organizations is a huge problem that will only get worse.

Last edited:
Du

Dude, objectively, it’s pretty funny that the guy who has blamed this whole thing on Trump is now getting upset someone else brought up something you think is political?

Im not upset at all that people brought up something political, im worried about the teacher shortage. That’s it! 75% of Gen Z is liberal, 75%. Since Gen Z has taken over for millennials as recent college grads the number of college students pursuing the career has gone drastically down and more and more teachers are quitting. The results are the results.

I’m explaining the reason to a T why that has spiked in the last few years and will continue to spike. No one wants to compromise anymore and districts are too scared to tell the parents they are the problem.

Answer me this, do you REALLY think that teachers are quitting more these days than ever before because of the union when the majority of teachers are liberal and pro union? Especially the young ones. Do you REALLY think they are leaving because of the kids?

OR….

Do you think they are leaving because they don’t feel like being on the frontline of parents political battlegrounds? Look the proof is in the pudding and as long as this keeps happening less and less teachers will be available. Eventually when there’s 50 kids to a class in Florida maybe people will take notice…

All this is is a recycled version of attacks on police officers by the left with the rights own version being teachers.. it’s all so obvious what’s happening, some just don’t want to hear it because ‘how could I be wrong about anything?’ Lol

I know who Tesla was. But I didn't in 6th grade, just like 99.99% of my contemporaries.
Sounds like you and your contemporaries had a bad education. They really didn’t teach you in elementary school who invented the radio???

You wanted to know why there’s a teacher shortage… I’m spelling it out for you and you don’t want to accept the answer. You are completely missing the point as to what is causing teachers to LEAVE.

I don’t give a flying F about whats right and wrong in the debate of what’s being taught, I’m simply spelling out to the T why teachers are leaving in droves with no one to replace them. You don’t wanna accept the answer.

the teachers I know that want out is because of the admin and the bs NOT allowing them to teach, not the parents

in addition many are lazy and don't want to go back after covid

Last edited:
The parents bitching at board meetings is relatively new. Last few years and it’s only happening sporadically. While parents do suck, the real reason for teacher shortages was covid. Lots retired, way more than you could replace overnight
The SPIKING OF TEACHER SHORTAGES IS RELATIVELY NEW!!!! That’s the correlation! That’s the common denominator! Come on now, I know I’m not the only Rutgers Grad on this board, let’s use our critical thinking skills together, parants bitching at school board meetings and taking them over spiking in the last few years, simultaneously teacher shortages have spiked over the SAME TIME PERIOD. Now let’s put one and one together…

Covid does not explain why there are so many less college students pursuing the career. How does Covid still effect the HS Senior discussing their major now choosing something other that education?

Increasing population might also have an impact. Rarely one thing.
Increasing population of white heads and retirees.. not people with children. People retire to Florida, they don’t move their families there. The number of children living in florida has not increased nearly at the rate of their population, again, retirees. Florida is a haven for baby boomers, not denying that.

Nope this is strictly their govenor attacking every teacher in the public school system at every opportunity, teachers in Florida are like ‘Nope! Not dealing with this’. Thus #1 in the country in number of teaching vacancies

Actually we were taught Guglielmo Marconi did.
No you weren’t. I promise you if they didn’t get to the Haymarket riot until middle school as you stated you didn’t get to Marconi until high school. What you just did was a google search trying to deflect this conversation away from the reality that the teacher shortage spike is exclusively because of the GOP. And hey, ya’ll gonna keep losing elections until you figure out how to look yourself in the mirror so I’m fine with it in that sense, but your really just hurting your children and grandchildren by interfering with their education. I promise you, your kids and grandkids WILL be smarter than you if you don’t interfere

So many wrong answers here. I have coworkers leaving in droves. It has nothing to do with the union. Zero percent. It really isn't about parents at board meetings. Teachers are oddly removed from board meetings.
The reason teachers are leaving is because the workload is unbearable. 95 is right. Admin continues to pile more on our plate and teachers burn out fast. Additionally, the parents are allowed to speak to teachers however they want, and they are given free reign. Parents tell us that their kids are gonna pass, so we are told to make it happen. The kids do nothing, and we have to either dumb down the work to a ridiculous level or change the grades to reflect work they didn't actually do. Discipline and structure are gone. Districts lie about fights, drugs, suspensions, etc to keep their reported numbers low. This puts teachers in an impossible position because it completely undermines our ability to hand out meaningful consequences.
In short, teachers are leaving because they are not supported. Not by parents and not by admins. Children are allowed to walk all over us. Sorry for the political comment, but this became a popular way to treat teachers when Chris Christie publicly bashed us for his entire term after saying he'd be a friend to teachers during his campaign.

But they're not ALL crazy. Remember the Dad arrested in Loudon County. It turns out, as was later reported in the Washington Post, that his daughter had indeed been sexually assaulted by a self-identified trans student in the school women's room. That was followed by a quiet transfer to another school followed by a second assault which finally resulted in criminal charges.

You mean the one she dated previously? And that totally justified threats from parents, right?

If it raised taxes for 30% of NJ citizens, then it cut taxes for 70%. Yes, some of those 30% make under 216K. Most make much more. It's the most prosperous who pay the highest state and local taxes and so they are the ones most likely to be limited by the $10,000 cap. Read the report I linked.

That would mean 30% of NJ is rich, which isn't the case.

No one doubts that the tax scam gave an extremely small cut to some. That doesn't change the fact it raised taxes for 30% in NJ while cutting taxes for private jet owners, which was muy original point.

There are about 4,500 K-12 students in my NJ town. I don’t know how many staff positions. checking today I see that there are only four open positions: HS Math, HS Special Ed, MS Spanish and 2nd grade. I know that the two HS positions are open due to two teachers getting June offers in schools closer to their homes, and there’s no concern that they won’t be replaced. All other HS openings due to staff retirements or transfers were filled. No departing HS teachers said they were leaving the profession.

I checked my Central NJ parochial HS. Zero open staff positions.

I am a teacher. I just changed jobs leaving public school and going private. COVID is not the main reason people are leaving.

1. Parent issues are a huge piece of teacher issues right now. Parents go to admin, the board, and the superintendent and get whatever they want. You can barely grade a kid or discipline a kid or not play a kid in sports without having some sort of investigation.

2. The pension is failing. It will not exist for many teachers.

3. The amount of garbage paperwork that is now involved with being a teacher, that has nothing to do with teaching, is absolutely mind boggling.

4. Teaching pay has not risen to match what teachers can make in the corporate world. I have many friends who left to work for companies like JnJ. They make more money, can work from home many days, and can be with their kids. Beyond pay not raising you get stuck at the top and get very little raises once you are there.

5. Teachers have been vilified for a while now. The amount if people becoming teachers is 25-50% of what it was 5 years ago.

I changed jobs because of crazy parents having too much influence, a lack of admin support with those crazy parents, I wanted to control more of my own retirement, and the pay.

There are about 4,500 K-12 students in my NJ town. I don’t know how many staff positions. checking today I see that there are only four open positions: HS Math, HS Special Ed, MS Spanish and 2nd grade. I know that the two HS positions are open due to two teachers getting June offers in schools closer to their homes, and there’s no concern that they won’t be replaced. All other HS openings due to staff retirements or transfers were filled. No departing HS teachers said they were leaving the profession.

I checked my Central NJ parochial HS. Zero open staff positions.
Was going to reply with similar data. No open positions in my district. Some posted but are already filled with multiple applications and interviews.

So many wrong answers here. I have coworkers leaving in droves. It has nothing to do with the union. Zero percent. It really isn't about parents at board meetings. Teachers are oddly removed from board meetings.
The reason teachers are leaving is because the workload is unbearable. 95 is right. Admin continues to pile more on our plate and teachers burn out fast. Additionally, the parents are allowed to speak to teachers however they want, and they are given free reign. Parents tell us that their kids are gonna pass, so we are told to make it happen. The kids do nothing, and we have to either dumb down the work to a ridiculous level or change the grades to reflect work they didn't actually do. Discipline and structure are gone. Districts lie about fights, drugs, suspensions, etc to keep their reported numbers low. This puts teachers in an impossible position because it completely undermines our ability to hand out meaningful consequences.
In short, teachers are leaving because they are not supported. Not by parents and not by admins. Children are allowed to walk all over us. Sorry for the political comment, but this became a popular way to treat teachers when Chris Christie publicly bashed us for his entire term after saying he'd be a friend to teachers during his campaign.
You say it has nothing to do with the union then you go on to state multiple reasons people are leaving, with many directly attributed to administration:

1. Workload (curriculum)- Admin NJEA
  2. Parents telling admin to pass children- Admin-NJEA initiative to move kids along
  3. Dumb down work- Admin- NJEA initiative to move kids along
  4. Discipline/Structure- Admin-NJEA
  5. Fights/Drugs/Suspensions etc.... Admin-NJEA initiative to move kids along

The administration takes their marching orders not from the BOE but from the NJEA. Parents are not innocent. You will always have people flexing but it is the Admins responsibility to stand up to the vocal minority.

You say it has nothing to do with the union then you go on to state multiple reasons people are leaving, with many directly attributed to administration:

2. Parents telling admin to pass children- Admin-NJEA initiative to move kids along

The administration takes their marching orders not from the BOE but from the NJEA. Parents are not innocent. You will always have people flexing but it is the Admins responsibility to stand up to the vocal minority.
You gave no idea what you're talking about. Our local union is furious about the way things are handled. These aren't out-in-the-open initiatives. These are admins working behind the scenes and outside established rules and policies. The NJEA has absolutely nothing to do with this.

You gave no idea what you're talking about. Our local union is furious about the way things are handled. These aren't out-in-the-open initiatives. These are admins working behind the scenes and outside established rules and policies. The NJEA has absolutely nothing to do with this.
I know exactly what I am talking about. So we agree. Local leaders have no juice. The marching orders are coming from the top. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have worked on projects with NJEA leaders in Trenton. They are the puppet masters. They control all. And they laugh all the way to the bank with their bloated high 6-7 figure salaries.

I know exactly what I am talking about. So we agree. Local leaders have no juice. The marching orders are coming from the top. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have worked on projects with NJEA leaders in Trenton. They are the puppet masters. They control all. And they laugh all the way to the bank with their bloated high 6-7 figure salaries.
I don't disagree about NJEA leaders' salaries. But the issues I'm talking about don't come from NJEA. They come from admins who are afraid of parents.

Reactions: kupuna133
No you weren’t. I promise you if they didn’t get to the Haymarket riot until middle school as you stated you didn’t get to Marconi until high school. What you just did was a google search trying to deflect this conversation away from the reality that the teacher shortage spike is exclusively because of the GOP. And hey, ya’ll gonna keep losing elections until you figure out how to look yourself in the mirror so I’m fine with it in that sense, but your really just hurting your children and grandchildren by interfering with their education. I promise you, your kids and grandkids WILL be smarter than you if you don’t interfere

You promise? You're an expert in curriculum that was taught, and when, before you were born? I don't think so.

well said but disagree the CC issue as that was squarely on the union rep from day 1. That was all politics and jockeying for negotiations and I get that. agree with everything else. good post

the administration has become a beast unto itself and is self serving. Administrations are now job boards, nothing about the kids. The sheer growth and additional issues created for the classroom by the administrations is shocking.

I am a teacher. I just changed jobs leaving public school and going private. COVID is not the main reason people are leaving.

1. Parent issues are a huge piece of teacher issues right now. Parents go to admin, the board, and the superintendent and get whatever they want. You can barely grade a kid or discipline a kid or not play a kid in sports without having some sort of investigation.

3. The amount of garbage paperwork that is now involved with being a teacher, that has nothing to do with teaching, is absolutely mind boggling.

4. Teaching pay has not risen to match what teachers can make in the corporate world. I have many friends who left to work for companies like JnJ. They make more money, can work from home many days, and can be with their kids. Beyond pay not raising you get stuck at the top and get very little raises once you are there.

5. Teachers have been vilified for a while now. The amount if people becoming teachers is 25-50% of what it was 5 years ago.

I changed jobs because of crazy parents having too much influence, a lack of admin support with those crazy parents, I wanted to control more of my own retirement, and the pay.
I’m not disputing parents suck. As a parent of kids in private school, those parents suck just as much.
But there are many reasons there are a shortage of teachers. I can remember only about 5 years ago people were telling kids not to go into teaching because new grade couldn’t find jobs. Too many kids graduating. Not enough retiring. Then covid hit and old teachers retired in droves

If you don’t mind me asking…

- How old are you?
- How long a teacher?
- In public the whole time?

The one question I have is, because I don't see it in your list, how much of this is also coming from Trenton? It may be just a step in the process for the NJEA, but I'm not sure that totally explains it.

How did a thread on property tax cuts for seniors get into teachers and transgendered people? Senior citizens now have by far the highest net worth of any group in America and massive amounts of money go to Social Security and Medicare, plus they are frequent recipients of aid through poverty programs. I don't see why they would be a priority for more help. New Jersey, like many states, needs to stop the exodus of young people leaving because housing is too expensive.

The one question I have is, because I don't see it in your list, how much of this is also coming from Trenton? It may be just a step in the process for the NJEA, but I'm not sure that totally explains it.
How much of what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT