ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Property tax relief coming for those over 65

Senior citizens aren’t the ones that need help. Many are sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of assets not to mention SS income, perhaps pension income. It’s the working class dude making $20/hour at best at a warehouse raising a kid or two that needs some help. But as usual, everything the government does is backwards, especially in backwards NJ
Regressive NJ policies

Reactions: RUaMoose
Senior citizens aren’t the ones that need help. Many are sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of assets not to mention SS income, perhaps pension income. It’s the working class dude making $20/hour at best at a warehouse raising a kid or two that needs some help. But as usual, everything the government does is backwards, especially in backwards NJ
Gramps can move to South Carolina if he wants to save $. If he wants to retire in NJ he needs to understand all the “benefits” he gets like access to NYC, AC, Philly, the shore, the great mountains of Sussex County where gramps can hike the trails ( after an hour drive) etc. This is kind of like reverse ageism.

I can take a lump sum with a 20 percent hit for taxes.

I have my ROTH IRA, traditional IRA, mutual funds, and I will have a matching program at my new school.

I have been debating if I keep the pension as just additional income with all the other funds I have (would be like 1500 a month when I retire) or take the lump sum out and roll it into other investments.
If you are a public school teacher you cannot cash in your pension while working.

You have a restricted lump sum option when you retire but even that you can’t take the funds and invest them somewhere else.

If you quit teaching and remove yourself from the pension you can get that cash but staying in the pension is probably better unless you’re tier 5.

Your fact situation assumes the seniors are all in Saddle River and the dude making $20./hr can even swing the down payment and the .mortgage. A lot of seniors may be sitting on hundreds of thousands, but may be home equity. You going to force them to move SC to tap into it? Want to lower the income limits to qualify? Fine. But this does not affect the "working class dude" buying in any way.

Reactions: Section124
If you are a public school teacher you cannot cash in your pension while working.

You have a restricted lump sum option when you retire but even that you can’t take the funds and invest them somewhere else.

If you quit teaching and remove yourself from the pension you can get that cash but staying in the pension is probably better unless you’re tier 5.
I've left public education for private school. So I have some options to play with.

I'm not tier 5, but I am vested.

My initial plan is leave my vested pension alone, dump money into my new matching plan, and continue to fund my other retirement options and just be diversified. I'm a long time from retirement though.

The Governor and legislative leadership have reached agreement on a program to be called "Stay New Jersey." Those over 65 with incomes of $500,000 or less will receive an annual payment from the state of half their property taxes up to a limit of $6500 per year. I mention this because property taxes often come up in discussions on this board of why posters are planning to leave NJ upon retirement.https://nj.gov/governor/news/news/562023/approved/20230621a.shtml

Edit: the limit is $6500, not $6200 as I originally wrote.
The legislature has just expanded the Senior Freeze program, which reimburses seniors for increases in property taxes over the "base year." The income limit used to be $100,000 -- it is now $150,000. The "base year" is the year of first eligibility, so I assume this means that seniors within the income limit will be reimbursed for future increases in property taxes. Note that this program and Stay New Jersey are conditioned on the state maintaining a specified level of surplus and on other requirements (I think full funding of state pensions is one of them.)

NJ has one of the strongest economies in America. Murphy is over 50% approval.

Cry more and move to a state with banned books and AP class, tons of violence and no freedom. You have your pick in the former Confederacy.

So strong people over 65 need tax relief.

Who will pay the offset? People under 65.

Higher taxes for those under 65 .

Murphynomics is a failure.
Unlike @NotInRHouse, I sympathize with your position -- even though I, as a "senior" (I hate that word; are young people called "junior citizens?") will benefit. The only defense I can give is that the relief is contingent on the continuation of a large budget surplus here in New Jersey, and that, because the credit comes from the state, it will not cause increases in local property taxes. TBH, I think the surplus will not continue for very long, and so the program may be of limited duration.

Unlike @NotInRHouse, I sympathize with your position -- even though I, as a "senior" (I hate that word; are young people called "junior citizens?") will benefit. The only defense I can give is that the relief is contingent on the continuation of a large budget surplus here in New Jersey, and that, because the credit comes from the state, it will not cause increases in local property taxes. TBH, I think the surplus will not continue for very long, and so the program may be of limited duration.
Isn't the state billions in the hole on pensions?

Any surplus is probably creative accounting.

Reactions: RU2131
Isn't the state billions in the hole on pensions?

Any surplus is probably creative accounting.
The state claims to now be making the contribution called for by its actuaries. That is supposed to continue. The size of the hole depends on how the stock market does.

There is indeed a "funny money" component to the surplus. The Covid aid packages gave Federal money to the states to make up for a predicted drop in state tax revenues due to Covid. But the states did just fine, and now have money to spare. I doubt that will continue.

As you know I'm far south of 65, but also realize most people over 65 don't work. Or at least shouldn't be.

As you know I'm far south of 65, but also realize most people over 65 don't work. Or at least shouldn't be.
You're right . . .but an increasing number of Americans over 65 work. In 2000, less than a quarter of those over 65 worked; now it's over a third. At the same time, the percentage over 16-19 years who work has declined. Those over 65 are actually more likely to have jobs than those aged 16-19. https://www.minneapolisfed.org/arti..., that was,artifact happening at the extremes.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The state claims to now be making the contribution called for by its actuaries. That is supposed to continue. The size of the hole depends on how the stock market does.

There is indeed a "funny money" component to the surplus. The Covid aid packages gave Federal money to the states to make up for a predicted drop in state tax revenues due to Covid. But the states did just fine, and now have money to spare. I doubt that will continue.

The old joke about chemist, lawyer and the actuary. Someone asked each how 1+1 is. The chemist said 2. The lawyer said generally 2 except for a statute in Humbolt Cty California making it pi when Venus is raising in Sagittarius. The actuary leaned forward and in a quiet voice said "how much do you want it to be?"

It's a good idea, but people making 500K a year certainly don't need property tax relief. I would have set it at 150K and lower.
I think the point of $500K was to keep these taxpayers in the state.
It's a good idea, but people making 500K a year certainly don't need property tax relief. I would have set it at 150K and lower.
I believe the idea in part is to keep high earning taxpayers in the state to remain in NJ.

The NJ Tax Rate for a 65+ $500,000. income joint return is approximately $28,000.
This would qualify for a $6,500, Property Tax rebate.

Each 65+ person with $500,000 income that leaves the state would decrease the state income tax receipts.

I assume the decision is to keep 65+ high earners in the state (and give them a property rebate) is to financially subsidize the 65+ property tax rebate plan for lower income earners that are retired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT