ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for Numbers reVaccine/Immunity

The article posted above by RUfubar explains what I was saying.

"As game-changing as the Pfizer vaccine (and Moderna's equally effective mRNA-1273 vaccine) may be in affording protection against the COVID-19 illness, the results do not reflect complete 'sterilizing immunity.'

"This is the type of immunity that completely prevents a disease-causing pathogen like COVID-19 from establishing an infection. Sterilizing immunity differs from effective immunity in that the latter can prevent illness but still lead to asymptomatic infection.

"Although the current vaccine candidates have demonstrated the ability the reduce symptoms and the number of viruses in the lower respiratory tract, there is as of yet no evidence of sterilizing immunity in the upper respiratory tract."

I'm not trying to downplay the vaccine, I'm going to get it as soon as I'm able to, just pointing out that while the vaccine will prevent you from getting sick, it might not prevent you from spreading the virus to someone who isn't vaccinated, so we'll still have to wear masks, socially distance, etc.

Read it and they do use a lot of words like "potential" and "don't know yet". I have read quite a few articles stating the exact opposite. That once a successful inoculation has occurred spreading of the virus would be rare or nonexistent. I'm sure they don't know 100% yet either. What you just read was an MD's opinion who hasn't worked on it. They're drawing parallels to the HIV vaccine to make their theory.. You're taking two MD's opinion over others and drawing a definitive conclusion.

sorry. but this is wrong
you can prevent severe disease by early generation mrna vaccine without sterilizing your nasopharyngeal passages thus not achieving sterilizing immunity. hopefully later generation vaccines will achieve this holy grail of more perfection. virus evolves as well and finds ways to survive which is why this Coronavirus and others yet to come will become endemic and part of our seasonal viral problems.
But Covid-19 hasn't shown this capability in over a year. It even says so in the article which was posted. And thus why they believe this vaccine will provide sufficient immunity for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: King of S
The vaccine teaches your immune system how to recognize the virus, so it can destroy it before it can replicate. It then wouldn't be able to live in any part of your body. It can't live just hanging out in your nostrils, that's sheer lunacy, a virus needs a suitable host to survive.
The virus isn't living and the nostril may be suitable place(temp, humidity, etc) for it to not be compromised.

But Covid-19 hasn't shown this capability in over a year. It even says so in the article which was posted. And thus why they believe this vaccine will provide sufficient immunity for years.

unfortunately you're missing something or misinterpreting something. vaccines cause a polyclonal response which is an amazing and great thing but mutations and variants are unfortunately already occurring which will ultimately force us to get better and better vaccines that address various mutations (just like the flu shot every year). it's just a natural part of viral evolution. it's a long year for human beings but very short for a virus that will now become endemic.

sorry. but this is wrong
you can prevent severe disease by early generation mrna vaccine without sterilizing your nasopharyngeal passages thus not achieving sterilizing immunity. hopefully later generation vaccines will achieve this holy grail of more perfection. virus evolves as well and finds ways to survive which is why this Coronavirus and others yet to come will become endemic and part of our seasonal viral problems.
Where have you read about these mutations? Everything I've read has said this virus has yet to mutate and the claim of a new faster spreading variant is yet to be confirmed.

The virus isn't living and the nostril may be suitable place(temp, humidity, etc) for it to not be compromised.

The virus is absolutely living in asymptomatic people who are infecting others and carrying it around in their nostril.
This is different than people who have gotten infected and continued to spit out dead virus weeks after they recovered. although if you're immunocompromised you can continue to spit out live virus for many months. we actually believe (at least some evolutionary virologists believe) that one of the circulating mutant variants came from one individual who is immunocompromised in another country where viral replication went thoroughly unchecked like a virus in an all you can eat buffet.

Reactions: Greg2020
Read it and they do use a lot of words like "potential" and "don't know yet". I have read quite a few articles stating the exact opposite. That once a successful inoculation has occurred spreading of the virus would be rare or nonexistent. I'm sure they don't know 100% yet either. What you just read was an MD's opinion who hasn't worked on it. They're drawing parallels to the HIV vaccine to make their theory.. You're taking two MD's opinion over others and drawing a definitive conclusion.

I just thought I'd put that article up because if it's pretty laymanish and easy to understand. my journals are more scientific in nature. I didn't mean to upset you. I am a physician and a microbiologist by degree. I will bow out of this thread and let numbers take over since I think he has more experience with communicating with you guys.

I just thought I'd put that article up because if it's pretty laymanish and easy to understand. my journals are more scientific in nature. I didn't mean to upset you. I am a physician and a microbiologist by degree. I will bow out of this thread and let numbers take over since I think he has more experience with communicating with you guys.
Not upset at all you brought a new perspective to this. I just want the article or source which states there have been several mutations like you state. I'm very curious now as that's unlike anything I've heard. Hell even the article you posted has said, "for one thing Covid-19 does not mutated nearly as quickly as the influenza virus" something you likened the need for better vaccines to, as this will become endemic.

The virus is absolutely living in asymptomatic people who are infecting others and carrying it around in their nostril.
This is different than people who have gotten infected and continued to spit out dead virus weeks after they recovered. although if you're immunocompromised you can continue to spit out live virus for many months. we actually believe (at least some evolutionary virologists believe) that one of the circulating mutant variants came from one individual who is immunocompromised in another country where viral replication went thoroughly unchecked like a virus in an all you can eat buffet.
Viruses are not living organisms. This is fact. Just because it's not alive doesn't mean it can't infect you.

The virus doesn’t replicate unless it binds to an ACE-2 site of which none exist in the upper respiratory tract (the way I understand it).

Therefore whatever is in the nose will be whatever the viral load was at exposure. So It’s not like an asymptomatic person with the vaccine will be shedding viral load all over the place since there shouldn’t be any replication on. End result would be a much smaller chance of spreading disease.

But I may be off base.

Reactions: koleszar
It appears that you have issues about Rutgers supporters so therefore it appears that you dislike the school. I am not sure the vulgarity and name calling is necessary as well. I will not discuss the many thoughts of who you think I am such as a female, a student, a grad, or maybe not....since it should not matter

The basketball team lost a couple games yet I still positively support them. They were ranked and that has not happened in awhile. Just left the MBB board and have defended the BB team who is doing the best they can until they get healthy.
I have a problem with idiotic , moronic , hypocrites like you. If that bothers you then you missed the point. I have supported Rutgers since the late 70’s not only in football, basketball ( men’s and women’s ) but baseball and softball as well. My donation level puts me well above the average Rutgers graduate. Do you actually realize out of 450k alums only a small percentage contributes to the general funding. Care to match ? You insulted me by claiming I must hate the school. That is why any attack by me was justifiable . Read what I said about the MBB team and coach Pikiell which was is complete contrast to what I saw the past 2 games . People were jumping to their deaths calling out the team , head coach as not giving any effort. The reality is they had two heart wrenching losses and are simply banged up at this juncture. So go cry and whine because you were way off base.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
sorry. but this is wrong
So you are saying within 10 years?

I have a problem with idiotic , moronic , hypocrites like you. If that bothers you then you missed the point. I have supported Rutgers since the late 70’s not only in football, basketball ( men’s and women’s ) but baseball and softball as well. My donation level puts me well above the average Rutgers graduate. Do you actually realize out of 450k alums only a small percentage contributes to the general funding. Care to match ? You insulted me by claiming I must hate the school. That is why any attack by me was justifiable . Read what I said about the MBB team and coach Pikiell which was is complete contrast to what I saw the past 2 games . People were jumping to their deaths calling out the team , head coach as not giving any effort. The reality is they had two heart wrenching losses and are simply banged up at this juncture. So go cry and whine because you were way off base.
Believe it or not I posted all the same stuff you mentioned about the basketball team however your posts mention a dislike for Rutgers fans (confusing). In addition, with the constant name calling it tends to make your arguments counter intuitive.

Hope all is well.

GO RU!!

I could have been, BUT Rutgers, where my Dad Graduated, where my dad played football and lacrosse, where my Dad Coached football......wanted me to pay $ 40 bucks to apply. When EVERY other one of the fifty + schools that asked my to attend them for free told me to not pay the fee.

(nor fill out the 500 word essay on why I wanted to attend old U.)
Good choice. The university is an embarrassment.

It helps when you're married to someone who's been a part of working on this stuff for 20yrs. at BMS, Forrest and Merck. Like the reason they were able to pump this vaccine out so quickly, they've already been working on mRNA vaccines for over a decade now.

They knew what not to do from trial and error over that decade. This wasn't rushed and a lot of the talking heads on TV should have told people exactly that to quell fears. A lot of misinformation flying around out there.

How many other mRNA vaccines are in use?

I don’t think you can know 100% that you are protected, but vigorous testing shows that it works 95% of the time, and in the other 5% it limits the severity of the illness. If you really want to see if you developed the antibodies, I think some antibody tests will tell you, but that seems overkill

I'm more curious to see the real world results after this has been given to tens of millions of people and what will happen over time. There's a good amount of question whether acquired (getting Covid) immunity is better than vaccinated immunity. I know #s has weighed in on this but long term studies will be the answer for this. Also, how long will acquired and vaccinated immunity last? Which is better?

Bob, you made the same error twice in the same post. That’s why the issue was pointed out to you. One time is easily dismissed as a typo. Two times in the same post? If you say so.

On your other point, the view of the poster would be the same whether he had a Rutgers degree or not because that view is based upon his posts. I’m sure there are plenty of well respected posters on this board who are graduates of other schools or didn’t attend college at all. That’s the point. Views formed are based on posts, but once those views are formed, it’s certainly reasonable to hope obviously poor posters aren’t graduates.

Edit to respond to your subsequent post, which is a curious one as I’ve been responding to you.

Bob is an angry person. Take a sample of any of ten posts from him. Tell me he isn't angry. Yes, you are an angry individual Bob whether you think it or not. To Frida's Boss and all others, you will benefit greatly from the ignore button. Bob is here to spew hatred and get under people's skin. Have a great week ahead Bob.

Where have you read about these mutations? Everything I've read has said this virus has yet to mutate and the claim of a new faster spreading variant is yet to be confirmed.

There are mutations and they have been slowly been popping up and getting diagnosed across the country. You may hear some mention the UK (which I hear actually originated in Brazil) or the South Africa strains. These mutations are slowly gaining momentum in media reports and have caught the attention of medical experts.

I will add, if you look at credible sites, there is varying confidence in the absolute effectiveness of the vaccine. For instance the CDC says: "COVID-19 vaccination works by teaching your immune system how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19, and this protects you from getting sick with COVID-19. " Johns Hopkins says: "An effective vaccine will protect a person who receives it by lowering their chances of getting COVID-19 if they encounter the coronavirus. Widespread vaccination for the coronavirus means that the virus will not infect as many people." Only about 20,000 people have received this vaccine. Will unexpected safety issues arise when the number grows to millions and possibly billions of people? Will side effects emerge with longer follow-up? Stay tuned to find out.

sorry, but post is somewhat accurate

SIAP, but a couple of days ago Novavax (small Maryland company biotech company with no products on the market yet) published some very encouraging results in macaques with their recombinant protein vaccine, doped onto adjuvant nanoparticles to increase bioavailability.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X20313736?via=ihub

https://www.biospace.com/article/no...n-monkeys-but-does-this-translate-to-humans-/

The bottom line is the immune response seen for this vaccine is greater than the other vaccines in phase III and this one appears to be the only one achieving full "sterilizing immunity" in monkeys, where no infection, at all, is seen after exposure to the virus - the others often see minor infections in the upper respiratory system (nose/mouth/throat).

That's not a guarantee this vaccine will provide full human sterilizing immunity, but it's a good sign. Phase III results are still expected by the end of this year or early in January - crossing fingers. Given this company's financial issues, Operation Warp Speed was critical to Novavax being able to complete development and clinical trials for this vaccine.

For background, below is my 9/25 post with links to scientific articles on the Novavax vaccine (one can't link to posts from locked threads).

MD-based Novavax announced the start of their phase III vaccine trial in the UK today. This 2-shot vaccine could be ready by January and many think it's a front-runner for high efficacy because of strong immunity responses in animals and humans in early clinical trials. The vaccine uses proteins doped onto adjuvant nanoparticles (the adjuvant is a saponin-based adjuvant to enhance the immune response by improving transport of the antigens to active areas like lymph nodes), a technology which is about to be approved for an influenza vaccine. Supposedly a US phase III study is starting in October. The think they can have 100MM doses by 1Q21 and 2 billion by the end of 2021.

http://ir.novavax.com/news-releases...hase-3-efficacy-trial-covid-19-vaccine-united

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-daily-covid-thread-9-22.201353/post-4705817
With regard to vaccines, immunity, and questions on the path forward from here, if people could just read one article, it should be today's blog by Derek Lowe (In The Pipeline). It's fantastic. He highlights the same paper I did last night from the La Jolla/Mt. Sinai group (Crotty et al) with regard to the very promising immune markers data from recovered patients implying possibly years of immunity for most and for those who get the vaccine and then he goes on to ponder and address a host of important questions as we move forward. I rarely copy whole articles, but will in this case. I even thought of starting a new thread, lol.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/18/vaccine-possibilities

Vaccine Possibilities

Now that we’re seeing that coronavirus vaccines are indeed possible (and are on their way), let’s talk about the remaining unanswered questions and the things that we will be getting more data on. Here are some of the big issues – it’ll be good to see this stuff coming into focus. I’ll put these into the form of questions (think of it as a tribute to the late Alex Trebek, whom I was glad to help remember in this article). Each one will have a summary answer at the end of the section, if you just want to skip to that part.

How long will the vaccine protection last?

This one can’t be answered with total confidence by any other way than just waiting and watching. But we will be able to give a meaningful answer well before that, fortunately. Here, just out in the last couple of days, is the most long-term and comprehensive look at the duration of immunity in recovered coronavirus patients. In fact, it appears to be the largest and most detailed study of post-viral-infection immunity in the entire medical literature (!) It’s from a multi-center team at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology, UCSD, and Mt. Sinai, and it looks at 185 patients who had a range of infection experiences, from asymptomatic to severe. 38 of the subjects provided longitudinal blood samples across six months.

We’ve already seen from the convalescent plasma comparison samples in the various vaccine Phase I trials that the antibody response to coronavirus infection can be quite variable, and that was the case in this study as well. That gives you wide error bars when you try. to calculate half-lives, and it’s not even clear what kind of decay curve the antibody levels will best fit to (it might well be different in different patients). But one figure to take home is that 90% of the subjects were still seropositive for neutralizing antibodies at the 6 to 8 month time points. The authors point out that in primate studies, even low titers (>1:20) of such neutralizing antibodies were still largely protective, so if humans work similarly, that’s a good sign. An even better sign, though, are the numbers for memory B cells, which are the long-term antibody producers that help to provide immunological memory. B-cells specific to the Spike and to the nucleocapsid coronavirus proteins actually increased over a five-month period post-symptom-onset, thus with no apparent half-life at all. These had interesting variations in antibody type (by the end of the period, they were strongly IgG, the others having dropped off), but as the paper notes, we really don’t have many viral infection profiles in humans to compare these results to. B-cell memory overall, though, looks to be long-lasting, and is expected by these results to stretch into years. For what it’s worth, there are patients who survived the 1918 influenza pandemic who had B cells that still responded with fresh neutralizing antibodies after over 90 years, so they can be rather hardy.

What about the other immune (and immune memory) component, T cells? The news there is good as well. CD4+ and CD8+ memory T cells appear to have half-lives of at least five or six months in these patients, and helper T cells (crucial for those memory B cells to respond later on) were completely stable over the entire period studied. Again, there are very few viral infection studies to compare this one to, but these numbers look consistent with long-term protection via reactivated immune memory.

Looking over the whole set of patients, it was clear that the immune system’s famously individual character was on full display here. That heterogeneity could well be the reason that there are real cases of re-infection, although it still seems to be rare. Different components of the immune response (both in antibodies and T cells) varied widely among patients, and these differences only became more pronounced over time. Nevertheless, at the five-month time point in a measure of five components of immune response and memory, 96% of patients were still positive on at least three of them (the categories were IgG antibodies against the Spike receptor-binding domain (RBD), IgA antibodies against the same Spike RBD, memory B cells aimed at the RBD, total SARS-CoV-2-specific CD8+ T cells, and total SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ T cells).

Bottom line: Taken together, this study, several others over the past few months, and this recent work all paint a consistent picture of a strong, normal, lasting immune response in the great majority of patients. Add in the results we’re seeing from the two vaccines that have reported interim data so far, and I think that the prospects for lasting immunity from vaccination are also very good. Remember, the early vaccine data suggested antibody responses at least as strong as those found in naturally infected cases. There seems (so far) every reason to think that vaccine-based immunity will be as good or better than that conferred by actual coronavirus infection. I very much look forward to more data to shore up this conclusion, but that’s how it looks to me at the moment.

How effective are these vaccines? Will they provide total protection or not?

We’re just starting to get numbers on this, and we are definitely going to know more as the various trials read out interim data and then reach their conclusions. So far, though, the efficacies we’re seeing have been more than I had really hoped for. I thought that they would work, and I didn’t think that meant just the FDA’s floor of 50% efficacy, but I sure didn’t have the nerve to predict that the first two readouts would be 95% (Pfizer just reported their final readout this morning). I can’t overemphasize how good that news is, especially when you compare it to some earlier worries that a useful coronavirus vaccine might not even be possible at all. Cross that one off the list!

Those efficacy numbers, though, are measured for symptomatic coronavirus cases. The vaccine trial participants are not being pulled in at regular intervals for testing to see if they’ve gone positive-though-asymptomatic. We may get controlled data of that sort eventually, but for now, we know from the Moderna trial that the few people who came down with symptoms at all had very mild cases. The antibody levels that we’re seeing would argue for a low probability of having a significant number of vaccinated people walking around asymptomatically shedding coronavirus, and for anyone who does to be shedding a lot less of it for a shorter period of time.

From a public health standpoint, that’s what you need. Epidemics are a matter of probabilities, and you can lower the chances of spread for a virus like this in any number of ways. They surely vary in efficacy, but include keeping distant from other people and avoiding any crowding in general, wearing masks, avoiding indoor situations with people that you haven’t been exposed to (such as going to the grocery store when it’s not so crowded), minimizing the time you spend in any higher-risk situation in general (getting those groceries in an organized fashion and getting back outside), and more. The fewer people there are around shedding infectious particles, the better (obviously), but the worst case for a weakly effective vaccine might be that it could actually raise that number for a while by creating more asymptomatic cases rather than having the infection make people aware that they need to stay the hell inside. But I don’t think we’re going to see that. I think that the efficacy levels we’re seeing are indeed going to be epidemic-breaking if we can get sufficient numbers of people vaccinated. Right now we’re up around the efficacy of the measles vaccine, which is very effective against a virus that is far more infectious than SARS-Cov-2. . .if enough people take it. (Believe it, if the current coronavirus were as infectious as measles is, we would be hosed).

Bottom line: the results we have so far indicate that these vaccines will indeed provide strong protection in the great majority of patients. The number of asymptomatic cases among the vaccinated population will be a harder number to pin down, but I believe that we should be in good enough shape there as well, based on antibody levels in the primate studies and what we’re seeing in humans.

What about coronavirus mutations? Will the virus move out from under the vaccine’s targeting?

The SARS-Cov-2 virus has indeed been throwing off mutations, but all viruses do. They replicate quickly, and errors pile up. Fortunately, though, none of these have proven to be a problem so far. There’s been a lot of talk about the D614G mutation being more infectious, but the difficulty of proving that shows that it’s certainly not way more infectious, if it is at all. And it doesn’t seem to have a noticeable effect on disease severity – so far, no mutation has.

The recent news from Denmark about a multi-residue mutant (“Cluster 5”) that might be less susceptible to the antibodies raised by the current vaccines is a real concern, but the news there, thus far, is also reassuring. The vaccine efficacy warning might be true, but it was also based on a small amount of preliminary data. And the Cluster-5 variant has not been detected since September, which suggests that (if anything) this combination of mutations actually might make the virus less likely to spread. From what we’ve been seeing with the Spike protein, evading the current antibodies looks like it’s going to be difficult to do while retaining infectiousness at the same time. We already know from a Pfizer analysis that many of the common mutations are just as susceptible to neutralizing antibodies raised by their vaccine.

I know that many people are wondering about the similarity to influenza, and to the yearly (and not always incredibly effective) flu vaccines. Flu viruses, though, change their proteins far more easily and thoroughly than the coronavirus does, which is why we need a new vaccine every year to start with. SARS-Cov-2 doesn’t have anything like that mix-and-match mechanism, and it’s a damn good thing.

Bottom line: the coronavirus can’t undergo the wholesale changes that we see with the influenza viruses. And the mutations we’re seeing so far appear to still be under the umbrella of the antibody protection we’ll be raising with vaccination, which argues that it’s difficult to escape it.

What about efficacy in different groups of people? Where will the vaccines work the best, and where might there be gaps?

This is another area that is definitely going to come into better focus as the current trials go on. For the moment, we know that the results we have seen so far come from participants in a range of ages and ethnic backgrounds. There’s not much expectation that things will vary much (if any at all) across the latter, although it’s always good to know that for sure, and not least so you can point to hard evidence that it’s so. Age, though, can definitely be a factor. Older people are quite likely more susceptible to coronavirus infection in the first place, and are absolutely, positively at higher risk of severe disease or death if they do get infected. The immune response changes with aging, and it is very reasonable to wonder if the response to vaccination changes in a meaningful way, too.

But as mentioned above, we have more data from the Pfizer vaccine effort just this morning. The overall efficacy was 95%, and the efficacy in patients 65 and older was all the way down to 94%. This is excellent news. No numbers yet for people with pre-exisiting conditions and risk factors, but I’m definitely encouraged by what we’re seeing so far.

Bottom line: our first look at efficacy in older patients is very good indeed, and that’s the most significant high-risk patient subgroup taken care of right off the top.

How safe are these vaccines? What do we know about side effects?

As mentioned in the Moderna write-up here the other day, that team saw around 10% of their vaccinated cohort come down with noticeable side effects such as muscle and joint pain, fatigue, pain at the injection site, etc. These were Grade 3 events – basically, enough to send you to bed, but definitely not enough to send you to the hospital – but they were short-lived. For reference, those numbers seem to be very close to those for the current Shingrix vaccine against shingles, from GSK (thanks to their butt-kicking adjuvant mixture of a Salmonella lipopolysaccharide and a natural product from a South American tree). It’s a reasonable trade for coronavirus protection, as far as I’m concerned. And my reading of the Pfizer announcement today makes me think that their side effect profile is even a bit milder. They have fatigue in 3.8% of their patients, and all the other side effects come in lower.

What about lower-incidence side effects? Well, 30,000 patients is a pretty big sample, but on the other hand, the immune system is as idiosyncratic as it can be. There may well be people out there who will have much worse reactions to these vaccines. If you have a literal one in a million, you’re simply not going to see that in a trial this size, or actually in any trial at all. These are about as big as clinical trial numbers ever get. At that point, you’d be looking at such a hypothetical bad outcome in about two or three hundred people if we gave the shot to every single person in the US. And the public health calculation that’ss made every time a vaccine is approved is that this is a worthwhile tradeoff. Let’s be honest: if we could instantly vaccinate every person in the country and in doing so killed 200 people on the spot, that is an excellent trade against a disease that has killed off far more Americans than that every single day since the last week of March. Yesterday’s death toll was over 1500 people, and the numbers are climbing.

How about long-term problems, then? These are possible with vaccines, but rare. And unfortunately, there is truly no way to know about them without actually experiencing that long term. We simply don’t know enough immunology to do it any other way. Given the track record over the last century of vaccination, though, this seems to be another deal worth making.

Bottom line: immediate safety looks good so far. Rare side effects and long-term ones are still possible, but based on what we’ve seen with other vaccines, they do not look to be anywhere at all significant compared to the pandemic we have in front of us.

OK, what about the rollout? Who’s getting these things first? When does everyone else get a chance to line up?

Harder questions to answer – there are a lot of variables. Pfizer and Moderna both say that they can make in the range of 20 million doses by the end of the year, but what we don’t know is (1) when the FDA will grant Emergency Use Authorization, (2) how many of these doses can be distributed and how that’s going to happen, (3) what the number of doses available right now might be, (4) how the ramp-up of both production and distribution are going to be coupled in the coming months, (5) what’s going to show up with the other vaccine candidates in testing, and so on.

The person in charge of the “Operation Warp Speed” logistics is Gen. Gustave Perna, who has been in charge of the Army’s Materiel Command (just the sort of background you’d want for an effort this size, I think). We know that manufacturing has already been underway on at “at risk” basis, and it looks like those bets are paying off, given the clinical results. Here’s the rollout strategy that has been announced so far, and it certainly seems sound from what I know about these things. It does leave some questions open, such as what groups are in the initial queue. You would have to think that health care workers would be at the top of the list – these people are risking their health and their lives as they deal with a constant stream of infectious patients, and losing them to illness or death has a severe impact on our ability to deal with the situation.

That situation, it has to be said, is going to be getting worse. It’s been getting worse for weeks, and it looks like it’s going to keep doing that for several weeks more even if we do everything right. And let’s be honest: as a country, as a population, we’re not doing everything right. There are a lot of people taking sensible precautions, but others are letting their guard down when they shouldn’t, and there are of course other people who never put their guards up in the first place and seem to have little intention of doing so. The map says “uncontrolled spread” across most of the US, and they ain’t lying. These vaccines are coming at extraordinary, record-breaking speed, but not fast enough for us to avoid what looks sure to be a 2,000-deaths-a-day situation. Take the worst air crashes in aviation history, and imagine three, four, five, six of them a day. All day Monday. All day Tuesday. No letup. Every single day of the week and all weekend long, a hideous no-survivors crash every few hours. That’s what we’re experiencing right now in terms of the sheer number of deaths.

Bottom line: the very first people to get these new vaccines will almost surely be health care workers, and starting some time on in December. The rollout after that has too many variables to usefully predict, but it’s going to be the biggest thing of its type ever attempted, in people-per-unit-time. And yes, I think it’s going to work, and not a minute too soon.

RUfubar - please, no reason to bow out of this thread, as you provided excellent info. The VeryWell article provides a great summary of the key issues involved with the various vaccines with regard to what they actually do in the body and what level of immunity they likely achieve.

My posts above have more of the level of detail (especially in the embedded links - and especially the one where I quoted all of Derek Lowe's blog entry on much of this - he's a step deeper into the science than the VeryWell or other mainstream articles, but a small step less technical than the primary science journal articles) that you were probably talking about from various journal articles, especially with regard to "sterlizing immunity," which is when a vaccine 100% prevents any viral infection - as of right now, none of the current vaccines provide that and the only one that showed evidence of that in macaques was the Novavax vaccine, which is in phase III.

For the Pfizer/Moderna mRNA vaccines, what we know is they are 95% effective in preventing symptomatic COVID infections, because that's about all they had the ability/time to look for. Moderna had some data suggesting that asymptomatic infections were likely much less frequent than in unvaccinated people (looking at infections in the uppper respiratory tract, largely in the nose/throat), but there weren't enough data to "prove" that.

What we don't "know" for sure is what level of infectiousness vaccinated people who might come down with COVID symptoms or even those who might be symptomatic have. It's not that we've seen COVID transmitted from vaccinated people to others - it's that we haven't even looked for that in the trials. It is quite likely that vaccinated people will be far less infectious than unvaccinated people, but we need to prove that by profiling viral loads from vaccinated people (which wasn't done in the trials - but antibody and B/T-cell levels were and these certainly suggest vaccinated people should be much less likely to be infectious).

While it's likely that vaccinated people will be less infectious, I can't imagine any scientists definitively stating that (for the approved mRNA vaccines at least), so you need to show your work on that claim. The truth is we simply don't have the data yet on whether there will be sterilizing immunity in 1%, 10% or 90% of people who receive mRNA vaccines (we do know that 5% come down with COVID symptoms, so clearly it's less than 95%). The flip side is we also don't know if those vaccinated people who develop COVID symptoms or those who might be asymptomatic will carry enough viral load to infect others, since that also wasn't measured, except in a small subset of Moderna trial patients, who had less asymptomatic infections than the placebo group (link below). The bottom line is nobody on the planet right now actually "knows" the answers to these things, since we haven't done the experiments yet. Educated guesses are fine, but not definitive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/15/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ase-ii-iii-trial-and-more.203426/post-4842193

unfortunately you're missing something or misinterpreting something. vaccines cause a polyclonal response which is an amazing and great thing but mutations and variants are unfortunately already occurring which will ultimately force us to get better and better vaccines that address various mutations (just like the flu shot every year). it's just a natural part of viral evolution. it's a long year for human beings but very short for a virus that will now become endemic.

Have a long post on the variants in the main COVID thread last night. I would argue that whether or not this virus becomes endemic is an open question. If enough people get vaccinated before the virus mutates enough, via antigenic drift, to "escape" the vaccine, then transmission rates could go to zero and the virus could be stamped out (this would need to happen worldwide, though), like SARS/MERS were. Length of immunity/effectiveness of the vaccines (and infection/immunity) is also key here.

I don't think anyone knows, though, how quickly we can get transmission rates to be very low, and when/if the virus will mutate enough to render the current vaccines ineffective. It's doubtful that happens in the next year, though, which will hopefully give us enough time to get transmission rates to very low levels. Also, at least with the mRNA vaccines, they're easy to "retool" to provide efficacy against a virus mutated enough to escape the current vaccines (would take a month or two), which might allow us to keep ahead of new variants. Much of this was discussed in the post below, with the ScienceMag article being a very good one on this.

It depends on the vaccination rate and the length of immunity. Some think those won't be high/long enough and there will always be some small pockets of infections, especially if some countries have really low vaccination rates, plus animals can be reservoirs for viruses to allow reintroduction at a later date. If immunity only lasts a year or so (like other betacoronaviruses which cause the common cold), then people might require annual vaccinations, which might lead to lower compliance and more risk the virus sticks around.

However, more recent data (2nd link) are indicating that immunity levels may last for several years - if that's the case and we can get 60-70% or more vaccinated, there's a good chance the virus will disappear, like SARS/MERS did - people with SARS/MERS still have relevant immunity markers 10+ years later (doesn't "prove" immunity, since those outbreaks died out).

We also don't know, yet, what percentage of vaccinated people might still get infected and whether they'll be infectious - we just know the levels of people with symptoms/COVID were low (~5% or so), but don't know how many might have been asymptomatic, but possibly infectious. So, the jury is still out on many questions which need to be answered to know if SARS-CoV-2 becomes endemic or not. Let's hope not.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/370/6516/527

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ase-ii-iii-trial-and-more.203426/post-4782651

Not sure if you answered this in the Covid thread but really 2 questions. First How does one actually know if they have immunity after the second dose and to piggyback on that one does that exempt us from quarantine for 14 days if we have the immunity and travel. I have not really seen actual answers to these questions as I would like to take a trip after my second dose but obviously if I still have to quarantine than that is out
Thanks in advance

No issue with the questions, but why not ask them in the main COVID thread? I doubt the mods want 3-4 COVID threads on the football board.

@DJ Spanky?

Also, one won't "know" they have immunity from the vaccine, but it's highly likely one won't get infected and develop symptoms (only 5% do). The possibility of still becoming infected is why I doubt we'll see relaxation on things like quarantining after travel or wearing of masks for vaccinated people - at least until transmission rates go down significantly. I also don't think agencies like the CDC have figured these things out yet, since the data just aren't there to change guidances yet. I think we'll need to wait a few months.

Viruses are not living organisms. This is fact. Just because it's not alive doesn't mean it can't infect you.
Pretty sure he knows that viruses aren't technically "alive," but it's sometimes easier to say "living," since going through the full explanation is tricky. I usually say "viable" meaning capable of infecting someone, as opposed to deactivated/not viable, which is what happens when washing hands with soap or alcohol, for example.

That is hard to believe to be accurate

If so, lousy vaccine.
It's accurate, as is this: you are such a tool. Lousy vaccine. Getting a 95% effective vaccine in less than one year (built on decades of foundational research, but still the accomplishment is amazing) is one of the greatest scientific achievements ever.

Have a long post on the variants in the main COVID thread last night. I would argue that whether or not this virus becomes endemic is an open question. If enough people get vaccinated before the virus mutates enough, via antigenic drift, to "escape" the vaccine, then transmission rates could go to zero and the virus could be stamped out (this would need to happen worldwide, though), like SARS/MERS were. Length of immunity/effectiveness of the vaccines (and infection/immunity) is also key here.

I don't think anyone knows, though, how quickly we can get transmission rates to be very low, and when/if the virus will mutate enough to render the current vaccines ineffective. It's doubtful that happens in the next year, though, which will hopefully give us enough time to get transmission rates to very low levels. Also, at least with the mRNA vaccines, they're easy to "retool" to provide efficacy against a virus mutated enough to escape the current vaccines (would take a month or two), which might allow us to keep ahead of new variants. Much of this was discussed in the post below, with the ScienceMag article being a very good one on this.

A New Problem: Virus Variants
Topol: Now we have a new problem, not that we've gotten this virus squashed in any respect outside of countries like yours, continents like yours. This variant in the United Kingdom — not necessarily born in the United Kingdom — but this B117 variant has cropped up in recent weeks. It's led to a big surge in spread, not only in parts of the United Kingdom; I understand that there's at least one case in Australia, the Netherlands, Italy, and Denmark. It's gotten around a bit. Obviously, there may be other countries that aren't doing sequencing that may have it there. In the United States, we haven't seen that yet or the South African variant, N501Y, which seems to have some thread as far as an important spike mutation. [Editor's note: A patient with the B117 variant was identified in the United States after this interview was recorded.]

What's your sense about this? Where are we headed now?

Holmes: It's obviously the question of the moment. I'm not directly involved in the UK works. I'm seeing it kind of secondhand. From the body of data that I've seen, there are definitely concerns here. I think there are a number of things that are acting as the links in the chain.

We start with the epidemiology. As you've mentioned, this variant does appear to be growing very rapidly in the United Kingdom. That's not just because the south of England had fewer restrictions, because if that was the case, then all the variants would increase in frequency. It's a particular variant, one lineage, that's increasing compared with any others. It's growing quite, quite quickly. The same appears to be true in South Africa. It's a different lineage, but it has at least one of the same mutations. That's a worry.

The second is they're reporting now that the virus has evidence of a higher viral load of infection, measured by lower-on-average cycle threshold (Ct) values and more sequence reads on sequencing. That's saying there's more virus, which would explain the faster growth rate.

If you boil down to the actual biology, the virus, as you mentioned, has this mutation in amino acid 501 in the spike protein in the receptor binding domain, which is one that we'd already flagged as being a really key site. Other labs have shown that this mutation is critical for receptor binding. That's the same mutation that's come in South Africa as well. That would be the molecular explanation for the higher viral load, which then explains the growth rates. All those things move together.

I think what they felt they had to do in the United Kingdom, because they've had a very difficult epidemic, was to act sooner rather than later. Even though not all of the I's have been dotted and the T's crossed on the biology of this virus, it's important to act now to stop it spreading. That was what made the UK government do what it did.

Obviously, we're still waiting a little bit on complete functional characterization. We want to know exactly what's going on. I think the interesting thing about South Africa and the United Kingdom is that it's not just this one mutation — the amino acid 501 change; it's that those lineages have a huge number of changes compared with other ones, which is really fascinating.

There's one suggestion that makes a lot of sense, which is that they evolved in somebody who may be immunocompromised, because you have chronic infection for a much longer time in a single individual. You have a partial kind of immune response there. Maybe that's allowed this virus to evolve and select in an unusual way. It's a very unique set of selective pressures on the virus in a patient like that that's led to these changes. That's not proven by any means at all, but it's an interesting theory.

Topol: There have been a few cases of immunocompromised patients in which they showed rapid evolution, so your point there is well taken.

The other question, Eddie, is that in the United States, convalescent plasma is being used highly without the evidence in hundreds of thousands of people. Could that also lead to more evolution of the virus?

Holmes: I think it depends on the number of people being used relative to the proportion of the population. Selection is kind of a numbers game. There needs to be selection pressure for the virus to evolve in that way. If most people in the population are using convalescent plasma, then you see a selection pressure. If it's only a small proportion, I don't think it would select that much.

This case is different, though, because it's in a single individual. A single patient has a chronic infection with a lot of viral replication. So you're replicating a whole population's worth of evolution in a single patient. That's why it's so unusual. As you mentioned, in some other SARS-CoV-2 cases within immunocompromised hosts, you see mutations, as you also do in norovirus infections and influenza virus infections. I've seen it in my past work. It's certainly a very interesting theory.

This current variant, we need to monitor it closely. We need to see more on the basic functional biology. We need to see how the vaccines will cope with this. That is a key question. That work is being done at the moment in the United Kingdom, I think, and fingers crossed that the vaccines are still going to be tip-top. If they are, we can breathe a small sigh of relief, I think.

A Need for Booster Shots in the Future
Topol: Let's say the virus variant is not a problem for this vaccine, but it shows you that while the virus was so slow in evolving in terms of any meaningful functional variant except for this D614G, that became the dominant one. Now we have a different look at this virus.

Does that make you think that even if the current vaccines hold up well, we're going to be looking at booster shots adjusted to the continued evolution of the virus for the years ahead?

Holmes: That's a great question. We need to think about evolution in different phases. During the first phase, basically most of this year, what you've had is a virus spreading in a population where there's no immunity. That's been the key marker of this outbreak, really, because everyone is susceptible. In those circumstances, there's no immune selection pressure on the virus whatsoever. Any lineage can find a susceptible host to infect; it's actually really easy. The virus spreads, and it just infects people. It's kind of a free-for-all.

As immunity rises in the population, hopefully by vaccination — although some countries, such as the United States and the United Kingdom, are really trying hard to do this without vaccination — as immunity rises in the population, that's going to change the selective landscape.

You will see that the virus will evolve away from that. I think that's an absolute certainty. Now, it does evolve a little bit more slowly than some RNA viruses — maybe three times more slowly than the influenza virus. It's not an abnormally low rate of evolution; it's actually pretty average, but lower than flu.

My guess is that as immunity rises in the population, hopefully by vaccination, you will start to see immune escape gradually. That will happen. That's an inevitable consequence of natural selection. It's been played out for millennia, and it's going to happen again. We will very likely need to update these vaccines at some point. That may take 2 years or 5 years or 1 year; I don't know.

To me, it's a racing certainty that immune selection pressure is going to push the virus in a certain way. You'll probably start to see more direct evolution than you have done in the past, because now it's harder for the virus to find a susceptible host because people are immune. Only the fittest strain is going to make it through, and that fitness is going to depend on a particular antigenic configuration.

Rising immunity will completely change selection pressure. I think it'll become even more seasonal, too. Early on, the virus didn't need to be seasonal because everyone was certainly susceptible to any lineage at any time. As immunity rises and susceptible persons become fewer in the population, the right kinds of conditions for spread become more important. The virus will change in its behavior because of rising immunity.

Topol: This is a central point you're making, in that the race toward population-level herd immunity, vaccine-induced, is countered by the virus evolving. We're not seeing the end of this virus just because you get 80% of the world vaccinated. This is an endemic story, would you say?

Holmes: I would put money on this being an endemic respiratory virus. Absolutely. Even if we rolled out the best vaccine coverage program ever, we're not going to vaccinate everybody. We can't do it simultaneously. The virus will evolve fast enough to keep itself going, and they'll reenter the susceptible class. I think it's endemic. Absolutely.

Topol: Well, that's exciting, isn't it? It's kind of interesting to speak to a leading evolutionary virologist because you get a different perspective about it. This is what you spend your whole life on, and you really understand the context of what we're looking at right now.

Holmes: It's also thinking comparatively. Talking about evolution, I work on many different viruses, and I see the patterns between them. SARS-CoV-2, in a comparative way, is not mysterious. It's not a magical virus. It has the standard properties that respiratory viruses do, and it's subject to the same rules of epidemiology and evolution. They work pretty well.

I can't predict what mutations will appear in what order or at what time, but I think I can make a pretty strong prediction that it is going to evolve and is going to escape immunity like everything always does. I think that's a pretty safe prediction.

Topol: Would you say it's fortunate that the spike protein gave us this ability to get a potent vaccine? Would you have predicted, for example, this 95% efficacy?

Holmes: No. I was optimistic that we would get a vaccine. I was thinking more around 60%, maybe 70% if we were lucky. Certainly not 95%, which is absolutely spectacular. And more than once — multiple vaccines can do the same thing. Some months ago, I did a little exercise with the Wellcome Trust, which was very interesting, on horizon scanning, playing out what the future might be like in 5-10 years' time.

We've looked at vaccination, immunity, and antivirals. In our vaccine horizon scanning future predictions, a vaccine of this efficacy was our absolute best-case scenario. Our middle-case, most likely scenario was much worse. I think with the vaccinations, we're in a very good place, with incredible speed. These people did an amazing job.

Topol: Well, you helped them — you and Professor Zhang.

Monitoring the Fault Lines
Topol: How do we get smarter for the next pandemic? We're going to have another one. Your friends, these viruses, are going to haunt us in the future. How do we avoid having the toll here of harm, of deaths, and long COVID? How can we be smarter?

Holmes: I think there are three things we can do, each with increasing difficulty. The simplest thing we try to do is to somehow distance ourselves more from the animal world. There are clearly practices that we do today, such as live animal markets, the wildlife trade, not zoning (we build on these wildlife areas where we're exposed) — all those things increase our proximity to wildlife that carry viruses, some of which can infect us. We need to be much smarter in how we regulate our exposure to the natural world. That's a relatively easy thing to do, just to regulate those practices more.

Second, we need much better global surveillance. By that, I think the people who work at the human/animal-level interface are the sentinels. They're the canaries in the coal mine because they're going to get exposed more than anyone else. Those sorts of people maybe will need regular virologic screening, something like VirScan, which is a cool technique. I've heard that there is a global observatory looking at blood samples globally; maybe metagenomics should be performed occasionally of people who work in abattoirs or live animal markets on a regular basis.

They are the front line and are like the fault line. I like to think of it as an earthquake analogy. They are where the tremors take place, so they need to be monitored really closely. Those data have to be shared absolutely freely and as quickly as possible globally. There shouldn't be local governments holding onto it, saying, "We're handling it ourselves." That's a barrier to permanent prevention. We need surveillance of the frontline people at the human-animal interface and data sharing.

Finally — and this is really difficult, like an Apollo project— we need to have stockpiled in our freezers broad-acting antivirals and potentially vaccines that can recognize a whole span of coronaviruses or influenza viruses. I'm not into prediction, but I think it's pretty obvious that there is a set of viruses that are particularly jumpy and that are likely to emerge in the future.

I would say the top three are coronaviruses — this is number five in the past 20 years in humans — so it's coronaviruses, influenza viruses, and paramyxovirus that seem to be the most likely to emerge. For those three, are there ways — this is a really big science project — that we can develop antivirals that can recognize several of these, or vaccines that can recognize multiples, and have those ready rather than having to wait? Even a year is really quick, but it's time. Rather than having to wait for that, we have them there that we can roll out. That requires a massive investment in basic science, with many smart people working on it.

Topol: That's really helpful to kind of get a sense of what lurks ahead, particularly your ranking of the virus families that need special attention. I love the concept of broad preparation with antibodies and structure-based vaccines that have that broad capability.

Holmes: Even now, I think the coronaviruses we know, if you look at the evolution history of coronavirus, you can see that some lineages appear — like in the beta coronaviruses that jump most often — I think we know what they are. I think we can certainly start to plan around the likely ones. If they have any structural features in common that we can now utilize, I think we can start on that now.

Topol: Excellent point. I have to tell you, Eddie, this has been a fascinating discussion. We hadn't met before, but to get your sense of the world is just invaluable. Having seen the historic tweet and some of the story about what all happened back in January, as well as some of your extraordinary work in the past, it's really a privilege to have this conversation with you. Any parting words of wisdom?

Holmes: It's a pleasure to talk to you, because the way you convey the message on Twitter for people to understand is absolutely invaluable. I think that's been a huge thing. That does lead me to one of the things that I have noticed and that you're part of as well: In regard to social media, its power in the pandemic is absolutely amazing because it's so rapid, so immediate. You can get your message out extremely quickly. Unfortunately, sometimes that's led to confusion, but normally it's been a phenomenal way of rapidly passing on what needs to be known.

It's more efficient than the other standard channels that we've built since World War II to convey information about pandemics. It really is. I think in the future, another thing we need to do is to enhance those sorts of social media things because they are so direct and so rapid. Because of the pace of pandemics, that has to be the way. We can't wait for these official committees to meet and have everyone sign off. As valuable as they are, sometimes it's going to be quick. Social media is just fantastic, and that has been an absolute game changer too, I think.

Topol: Well, there's no question about the open science, as well as having that ability to get the word out through Twitter. One of those things, just to mention, is that of all the different parts of life sciences or medicine that I'm familiar with, the genomics community has really led the charge to be open like this.

You have done this, of course, throughout your career, and now we saw how it paid off, because it could have taken a lot longer to get where we are in terms of a remedy. Thank you for that. Thanks for the chance to visit with you. I look forward to following you closely and checking in with you in the times ahead as we deal with this endemic mess.

Holmes: My absolute pleasure. Thank you so much.

Eric J. Topol, MD, is one of the top 10 most cited researchers in medicine and frequently writes about technology in healthcare, including in his latest book, Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again.

Edward C. Holmes, PhD, is an evolutionary biologist and virologist. Since 2012, he has been a professor at the University of Sydney and a National Health and Medical Research Council Australia Fellow. He also has had an appointment as a guest professor at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China, since 2014

It's accurate, as is this: you are such a tool. Lousy vaccine. Getting a 95% effective vaccine in less than one year (built on decades of foundational research, but still the accomplishment is amazing) is one of the greatest scientific achievements ever.

You know the message is fugazzi when the writer included personal insults

Or maybe in this case, just the messenger who can't help himself.

Pretty sure he knows that viruses aren't technically "alive," but it's sometimes easier to say "living," since going through the full explanation is tricky. I usually say "viable" meaning capable of infecting someone, as opposed to deactivated/not viable, which is what happens when washing hands with soap or alcohol, for example.

i guess that live virus (not sars, more boring one) i worked with in bsl-3 lab in my frickin spacesuit was just a made up dream. smh
i should learn to keep off this site but its like an occ craving i get for gummy bears. viruses are alive as long as they have a host, a cell culture. We have medical examiners who wont do autopsy on outpatients who test positive with mild disease who pass at home likely from relatedly unrelated cause and i am pressed to sign death certificate. had 50 something yo big guy found in basement watching game and eating like a horse at 10pm though he lost his taste per wife) 14 days out.
he probably didn't move for 2 weeks straight and had PE or MI likely due to global risk rather than covid. i said to ME." who knows, maybe he was poisoned by someone or bit by tarantula. " family was awful calm and reasonable over whole thing.

i guess that live virus (not sars, more boring one) i worked with in bsl-3 lab in my frickin spacesuit was just a made up dream. smh
i should learn to keep off this site but its like an occ craving i get for gummy bears. viruses are alive as long as they have a host, a cell culture. We have medical examiners who wont do autopsy on outpatients who test positive with mild disease who pass at home likely from relatedly unrelated cause and i am pressed to sign death certificate. had 50 something yo big guy found in basement watching game and eating like a horse at 10pm though he lost his taste per wife) 14 days out.
he probably didn't move for 2 weeks straight and had PE or MI likely due to global risk rather than covid. i said to ME." who knows, maybe he was poisoned by someone or bit by tarantula. " family was awful calm and reasonable over whole thing.
I thought I made it clear that the question was kind of a "technicality" and in the grand scheme of things it's an academic question that doesn't really impact what they are and what we need to do to deal with them. You said you were a microbiologist by training and I assume that you know that, academically, there is and has been for a long time a split in whether microbiologists consider viruses to be "alive" or not, as per the first link below. It's not like I was espousing some crazy theory.

https://microbiologysociety.org/pub...e/article/are-viruses-alive-what-is-life.html

I think the Scientific American essay, below, by a noted virologist, provides an interesting perspective, leaning more towards viruses being "alive." He notes that most evolutionary biologists don't consider viruses to be "alive" (first excerpt below), but then goes on to make a strong case for viruses being critical to evolution. I also like his ending excerpt (2nd paragraph)...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-viruses-alive-2004/

Nevertheless, most evolutionary biologists hold that because viruses are not alive, they are unworthy of serious consideration when trying to understand evolution. They also look on viruses as coming from host genes that somehow escaped the host and acquired a protein coat. In this view, viruses are fugitive host genes that have degenerated into parasites. And with viruses thus dismissed from the web of life, important contributions they may have made to the origin of species and the maintenance of life may go unrecognized...

...Viruses matter to life. They are the constantly changing boundary between the worlds of biology and biochemistry. As we continue to unravel the genomes of more and more organisms, the contributions from this dynamic and ancient gene pool should become apparent. Nobel laureate Salvador Luria mused about the viral infl uence on evolution in 1959. “May we not feel,” he wrote, “that in the virus, in their merging with the cellular genome and reemerging from them, we observe the units and process which, in the course of evolution, have created the successful genetic patterns that underlie all living cells?” Regardless of whether or not we consider viruses to be alive, it is time to acknowledge and study them in their natural context—within the web of life.

A New Problem: Virus Variants
Topol: Now we have a new problem, not that we've gotten this virus squashed in any respect outside of countries like yours, continents like yours. This variant in the United Kingdom — not necessarily born in the United Kingdom — but this B117 variant has cropped up in recent weeks. It's led to a big surge in spread, not only in parts of the United Kingdom; I understand that there's at least one case in Australia, the Netherlands, Italy, and Denmark. It's gotten around a bit. Obviously, there may be other countries that aren't doing sequencing that may have it there. In the United States, we haven't seen that yet or the South African variant, N501Y, which seems to have some thread as far as an important spike mutation. [Editor's note: A patient with the B117 variant was identified in the United States after this interview was recorded.]

What's your sense about this? Where are we headed now?

Holmes: It's obviously the question of the moment. I'm not directly involved in the UK works. I'm seeing it kind of secondhand. From the body of data that I've seen, there are definitely concerns here. I think there are a number of things that are acting as the links in the chain.

We start with the epidemiology. As you've mentioned, this variant does appear to be growing very rapidly in the United Kingdom. That's not just because the south of England had fewer restrictions, because if that was the case, then all the variants would increase in frequency. It's a particular variant, one lineage, that's increasing compared with any others. It's growing quite, quite quickly. The same appears to be true in South Africa. It's a different lineage, but it has at least one of the same mutations. That's a worry.

The second is they're reporting now that the virus has evidence of a higher viral load of infection, measured by lower-on-average cycle threshold (Ct) values and more sequence reads on sequencing. That's saying there's more virus, which would explain the faster growth rate.

If you boil down to the actual biology, the virus, as you mentioned, has this mutation in amino acid 501 in the spike protein in the receptor binding domain, which is one that we'd already flagged as being a really key site. Other labs have shown that this mutation is critical for receptor binding. That's the same mutation that's come in South Africa as well. That would be the molecular explanation for the higher viral load, which then explains the growth rates. All those things move together.

I think what they felt they had to do in the United Kingdom, because they've had a very difficult epidemic, was to act sooner rather than later. Even though not all of the I's have been dotted and the T's crossed on the biology of this virus, it's important to act now to stop it spreading. That was what made the UK government do what it did.

Obviously, we're still waiting a little bit on complete functional characterization. We want to know exactly what's going on. I think the interesting thing about South Africa and the United Kingdom is that it's not just this one mutation — the amino acid 501 change; it's that those lineages have a huge number of changes compared with other ones, which is really fascinating.

There's one suggestion that makes a lot of sense, which is that they evolved in somebody who may be immunocompromised, because you have chronic infection for a much longer time in a single individual. You have a partial kind of immune response there. Maybe that's allowed this virus to evolve and select in an unusual way. It's a very unique set of selective pressures on the virus in a patient like that that's led to these changes. That's not proven by any means at all, but it's an interesting theory.

Topol: There have been a few cases of immunocompromised patients in which they showed rapid evolution, so your point there is well taken.

The other question, Eddie, is that in the United States, convalescent plasma is being used highly without the evidence in hundreds of thousands of people. Could that also lead to more evolution of the virus?

Holmes: I think it depends on the number of people being used relative to the proportion of the population. Selection is kind of a numbers game. There needs to be selection pressure for the virus to evolve in that way. If most people in the population are using convalescent plasma, then you see a selection pressure. If it's only a small proportion, I don't think it would select that much.

This case is different, though, because it's in a single individual. A single patient has a chronic infection with a lot of viral replication. So you're replicating a whole population's worth of evolution in a single patient. That's why it's so unusual. As you mentioned, in some other SARS-CoV-2 cases within immunocompromised hosts, you see mutations, as you also do in norovirus infections and influenza virus infections. I've seen it in my past work. It's certainly a very interesting theory.

This current variant, we need to monitor it closely. We need to see more on the basic functional biology. We need to see how the vaccines will cope with this. That is a key question. That work is being done at the moment in the United Kingdom, I think, and fingers crossed that the vaccines are still going to be tip-top. If they are, we can breathe a small sigh of relief, I think.

A Need for Booster Shots in the Future
Topol: Let's say the virus variant is not a problem for this vaccine, but it shows you that while the virus was so slow in evolving in terms of any meaningful functional variant except for this D614G, that became the dominant one. Now we have a different look at this virus.

Does that make you think that even if the current vaccines hold up well, we're going to be looking at booster shots adjusted to the continued evolution of the virus for the years ahead?

Holmes: That's a great question. We need to think about evolution in different phases. During the first phase, basically most of this year, what you've had is a virus spreading in a population where there's no immunity. That's been the key marker of this outbreak, really, because everyone is susceptible. In those circumstances, there's no immune selection pressure on the virus whatsoever. Any lineage can find a susceptible host to infect; it's actually really easy. The virus spreads, and it just infects people. It's kind of a free-for-all.

As immunity rises in the population, hopefully by vaccination — although some countries, such as the United States and the United Kingdom, are really trying hard to do this without vaccination — as immunity rises in the population, that's going to change the selective landscape.

You will see that the virus will evolve away from that. I think that's an absolute certainty. Now, it does evolve a little bit more slowly than some RNA viruses — maybe three times more slowly than the influenza virus. It's not an abnormally low rate of evolution; it's actually pretty average, but lower than flu.

My guess is that as immunity rises in the population, hopefully by vaccination, you will start to see immune escape gradually. That will happen. That's an inevitable consequence of natural selection. It's been played out for millennia, and it's going to happen again. We will very likely need to update these vaccines at some point. That may take 2 years or 5 years or 1 year; I don't know.

To me, it's a racing certainty that immune selection pressure is going to push the virus in a certain way. You'll probably start to see more direct evolution than you have done in the past, because now it's harder for the virus to find a susceptible host because people are immune. Only the fittest strain is going to make it through, and that fitness is going to depend on a particular antigenic configuration.

Rising immunity will completely change selection pressure. I think it'll become even more seasonal, too. Early on, the virus didn't need to be seasonal because everyone was certainly susceptible to any lineage at any time. As immunity rises and susceptible persons become fewer in the population, the right kinds of conditions for spread become more important. The virus will change in its behavior because of rising immunity.

Topol: This is a central point you're making, in that the race toward population-level herd immunity, vaccine-induced, is countered by the virus evolving. We're not seeing the end of this virus just because you get 80% of the world vaccinated. This is an endemic story, would you say?

Holmes: I would put money on this being an endemic respiratory virus. Absolutely. Even if we rolled out the best vaccine coverage program ever, we're not going to vaccinate everybody. We can't do it simultaneously. The virus will evolve fast enough to keep itself going, and they'll reenter the susceptible class. I think it's endemic. Absolutely.

Topol: Well, that's exciting, isn't it? It's kind of interesting to speak to a leading evolutionary virologist because you get a different perspective about it. This is what you spend your whole life on, and you really understand the context of what we're looking at right now.

Holmes: It's also thinking comparatively. Talking about evolution, I work on many different viruses, and I see the patterns between them. SARS-CoV-2, in a comparative way, is not mysterious. It's not a magical virus. It has the standard properties that respiratory viruses do, and it's subject to the same rules of epidemiology and evolution. They work pretty well.

I can't predict what mutations will appear in what order or at what time, but I think I can make a pretty strong prediction that it is going to evolve and is going to escape immunity like everything always does. I think that's a pretty safe prediction.

Topol: Would you say it's fortunate that the spike protein gave us this ability to get a potent vaccine? Would you have predicted, for example, this 95% efficacy?

Holmes: No. I was optimistic that we would get a vaccine. I was thinking more around 60%, maybe 70% if we were lucky. Certainly not 95%, which is absolutely spectacular. And more than once — multiple vaccines can do the same thing. Some months ago, I did a little exercise with the Wellcome Trust, which was very interesting, on horizon scanning, playing out what the future might be like in 5-10 years' time.

We've looked at vaccination, immunity, and antivirals. In our vaccine horizon scanning future predictions, a vaccine of this efficacy was our absolute best-case scenario. Our middle-case, most likely scenario was much worse. I think with the vaccinations, we're in a very good place, with incredible speed. These people did an amazing job.

Topol: Well, you helped them — you and Professor Zhang.

Monitoring the Fault Lines
Topol: How do we get smarter for the next pandemic? We're going to have another one. Your friends, these viruses, are going to haunt us in the future. How do we avoid having the toll here of harm, of deaths, and long COVID? How can we be smarter?

Holmes: I think there are three things we can do, each with increasing difficulty. The simplest thing we try to do is to somehow distance ourselves more from the animal world. There are clearly practices that we do today, such as live animal markets, the wildlife trade, not zoning (we build on these wildlife areas where we're exposed) — all those things increase our proximity to wildlife that carry viruses, some of which can infect us. We need to be much smarter in how we regulate our exposure to the natural world. That's a relatively easy thing to do, just to regulate those practices more.

Second, we need much better global surveillance. By that, I think the people who work at the human/animal-level interface are the sentinels. They're the canaries in the coal mine because they're going to get exposed more than anyone else. Those sorts of people maybe will need regular virologic screening, something like VirScan, which is a cool technique. I've heard that there is a global observatory looking at blood samples globally; maybe metagenomics should be performed occasionally of people who work in abattoirs or live animal markets on a regular basis.

They are the front line and are like the fault line. I like to think of it as an earthquake analogy. They are where the tremors take place, so they need to be monitored really closely. Those data have to be shared absolutely freely and as quickly as possible globally. There shouldn't be local governments holding onto it, saying, "We're handling it ourselves." That's a barrier to permanent prevention. We need surveillance of the frontline people at the human-animal interface and data sharing.

Finally — and this is really difficult, like an Apollo project— we need to have stockpiled in our freezers broad-acting antivirals and potentially vaccines that can recognize a whole span of coronaviruses or influenza viruses. I'm not into prediction, but I think it's pretty obvious that there is a set of viruses that are particularly jumpy and that are likely to emerge in the future.

I would say the top three are coronaviruses — this is number five in the past 20 years in humans — so it's coronaviruses, influenza viruses, and paramyxovirus that seem to be the most likely to emerge. For those three, are there ways — this is a really big science project — that we can develop antivirals that can recognize several of these, or vaccines that can recognize multiples, and have those ready rather than having to wait? Even a year is really quick, but it's time. Rather than having to wait for that, we have them there that we can roll out. That requires a massive investment in basic science, with many smart people working on it.

Topol: That's really helpful to kind of get a sense of what lurks ahead, particularly your ranking of the virus families that need special attention. I love the concept of broad preparation with antibodies and structure-based vaccines that have that broad capability.

Holmes: Even now, I think the coronaviruses we know, if you look at the evolution history of coronavirus, you can see that some lineages appear — like in the beta coronaviruses that jump most often — I think we know what they are. I think we can certainly start to plan around the likely ones. If they have any structural features in common that we can now utilize, I think we can start on that now.

Topol: Excellent point. I have to tell you, Eddie, this has been a fascinating discussion. We hadn't met before, but to get your sense of the world is just invaluable. Having seen the historic tweet and some of the story about what all happened back in January, as well as some of your extraordinary work in the past, it's really a privilege to have this conversation with you. Any parting words of wisdom?

Holmes: It's a pleasure to talk to you, because the way you convey the message on Twitter for people to understand is absolutely invaluable. I think that's been a huge thing. That does lead me to one of the things that I have noticed and that you're part of as well: In regard to social media, its power in the pandemic is absolutely amazing because it's so rapid, so immediate. You can get your message out extremely quickly. Unfortunately, sometimes that's led to confusion, but normally it's been a phenomenal way of rapidly passing on what needs to be known.

It's more efficient than the other standard channels that we've built since World War II to convey information about pandemics. It really is. I think in the future, another thing we need to do is to enhance those sorts of social media things because they are so direct and so rapid. Because of the pace of pandemics, that has to be the way. We can't wait for these official committees to meet and have everyone sign off. As valuable as they are, sometimes it's going to be quick. Social media is just fantastic, and that has been an absolute game changer too, I think.

Topol: Well, there's no question about the open science, as well as having that ability to get the word out through Twitter. One of those things, just to mention, is that of all the different parts of life sciences or medicine that I'm familiar with, the genomics community has really led the charge to be open like this.

You have done this, of course, throughout your career, and now we saw how it paid off, because it could have taken a lot longer to get where we are in terms of a remedy. Thank you for that. Thanks for the chance to visit with you. I look forward to following you closely and checking in with you in the times ahead as we deal with this endemic mess.

Holmes: My absolute pleasure. Thank you so much.

Eric J. Topol, MD, is one of the top 10 most cited researchers in medicine and frequently writes about technology in healthcare, including in his latest book, Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again.

Edward C. Holmes, PhD, is an evolutionary biologist and virologist. Since 2012, he has been a professor at the University of Sydney and a National Health and Medical Research Council Australia Fellow. He also has had an appointment as a guest professor at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China, since 2014
For those curious on the source of this, it's from a Medscape interview with Topol and Holmes from about a week ago. There's a ton more in the interview than the part above. It's a great read, including an excellent discussion of the scientific history of COVID-19 to date and a discussion of the role of social media (mostly good, especially with regard to speed of collaboration/sharing). Also, clearly Holmes is convinced that SARS-CoV-2 will become endemic and likely require updated vaccines in the next 1-5 years (this virus mutates at about 1/3 the rate of influenza, which requires annual vaccine updates).

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/943251#vp_6

For those curious on the source of this, it's from a Medscape interview with Topol and Holmes from about a week ago. There's a ton more in the interview than the part above. It's a great read, including an excellent discussion of the scientific history of COVID-19 to date and a discussion of the role of social media (mostly good, especially with regard to speed of collaboration/sharing). Also, clearly Holmes is convinced that SARS-CoV-2 will become endemic and likely require updated vaccines in the next 1-5 years (this virus mutates at about 1/3 the rate of influenza, which requires annual vaccine updates).

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/943251#vp_6
Think I remember saying just that the other day about this COVID 19 virus. You don’t need to be a Phd. in virology to make that call on a yearly shot in order to keep up with the mutations. This is not a 1-2 year thing which came from a virus jumping from animal to human.

I thought I made it clear that the question was kind of a "technicality" and in the grand scheme of things it's an academic question that doesn't really impact what they are and what we need to do to deal with them. You said you were a microbiologist by training and I assume that you know that, academically, there is and has been for a long time a split in whether microbiologists consider viruses to be "alive" or not, as per the first link below. It's not like I was espousing some crazy theory.

https://microbiologysociety.org/pub...e/article/are-viruses-alive-what-is-life.html

I think the Scientific American essay, below, by a noted virologist, provides an interesting perspective, leaning more towards viruses being "alive." He notes that most evolutionary biologists don't consider viruses to be "alive" (first excerpt below), but then goes on to make a strong case for viruses being critical to evolution. I also like his ending excerpt (2nd paragraph)...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-viruses-alive-2004/

Nevertheless, most evolutionary biologists hold that because viruses are not alive, they are unworthy of serious consideration when trying to understand evolution. They also look on viruses as coming from host genes that somehow escaped the host and acquired a protein coat. In this view, viruses are fugitive host genes that have degenerated into parasites. And with viruses thus dismissed from the web of life, important contributions they may have made to the origin of species and the maintenance of life may go unrecognized...

...Viruses matter to life. They are the constantly changing boundary between the worlds of biology and biochemistry. As we continue to unravel the genomes of more and more organisms, the contributions from this dynamic and ancient gene pool should become apparent. Nobel laureate Salvador Luria mused about the viral infl uence on evolution in 1959. “May we not feel,” he wrote, “that in the virus, in their merging with the cellular genome and reemerging from them, we observe the units and process which, in the course of evolution, have created the successful genetic patterns that underlie all living cells?” Regardless of whether or not we consider viruses to be alive, it is time to acknowledge and study them in their natural context—within the web of life.

you know I never even gave it a second thought that the question was being viewed as a theological, philosophical, organically debatable one. I studied staph bacteriophage typing and antibiotic resistance and viruses are brilliant life forms.
Therefore, I would argue that the only satisfactory definition of life lies in the most critical property of genetic heredity -independent evolution.
" Life is the manifestation of a coherent collection of genes that are competent to replicate within the niche in which they evolve(d). "
Viruses fulfil this definition. Debate over. 😉

you know I never even gave it a second thought that the question was being viewed as a theological, philosophical, organically debatable one. I studied staph bacteriophage typing and antibiotic resistance and viruses are brilliant life forms.
Therefore, I would argue that the only satisfactory definition of life lies in the most critical property of genetic heredity -independent evolution.
" Life is the manifestation of a coherent collection of genes that are competent to replicate within the niche in which they evolve(d). "
Viruses fulfil this definition. Debate over. 😉
I'm kind of neutral on the argument, since I'm more of a realist and I simply don't think it matters. I worked on several major antibiotics during my time at Merck: imipenem and ertapenem, both beta-lactam antibiotics which made it to market and are still quite well used given antibiotic resistance, and a 3rd beta-lactam antibiotic that was better than both of those with regard to broad spectrum activity, but was killed due to "internal rashes" in the phase I escalating multidose trials. Yes, it's as bad as it sounds - some patients felt itching inside their bodies, which they couldn't "scratch." All three of these were from the carbapenem family.

All of the beta-lactam molecules were a bitch to make/manufacture, as they're all fairly unstable, so the clock is ticking while making them. In addition, all beta-lactams have the potential for highly allergic anaphylactic reactions in sensitive individuals, which is a huge issue for manufacturing, necessitating dedicated facilities to prevent cross-contamination of other drugs by the beta-lactam residuals. The most recent antibiotic I worked on that was approved 2 years ago was relebactam, a beta-lactamase co-administered with imipenem to make it more effective. While challenging, it was rewarding to work on life-saving new drugs...

I'm kind of neutral on the argument, since I'm more of a realist and I simply don't think it matters. I worked on several major antibiotics during my time at Merck: imipenem and ertapenem, both beta-lactam antibiotics which made it to market and are still quite well used given antibiotic resistance, and a 3rd beta-lactam antibiotic that was better than both of those with regard to broad spectrum activity, but was killed due to "internal rashes" in the phase I escalating multidose trials. Yes, it's as bad as it sounds - some patients felt itching inside their bodies, which they couldn't "scratch." All three of these were from the carbapenem family.

All of the beta-lactam molecules were a bitch to make/manufacture, as they're all fairly unstable, so the clock is ticking while making them. In addition, all beta-lactams have the potential for highly allergic anaphylactic reactions in sensitive individuals, which is a huge issue for manufacturing, necessitating dedicated facilities to prevent cross-contamination of other drugs by the beta-lactam residuals. The most recent antibiotic I worked on that was approved 2 years ago was relebactam, a beta-lactamase co-administered with imipenem to make it more effective. While challenging, it was rewarding to work on life-saving new drugs...

impressive, you should be proud buffed up primaxin
got to run. getting c diff just thinking about it

All these theories ,etc ,what a waste of time while sitting on your hands ---don't take the shot, just wait to die and live in fear since it's inevitable???--man, many around here are just hopeless--- what a way to live/die

All these theories ,etc ,what a waste of time while sitting on your hands ---don't take the shot, just wait to die and live in fear since it's inevitable???--man, many around here are just hopeless--- what a way to live/die

I'm pretty sure this is either the first mRNA vaccine or one of the first. I'll let the more interested and needy take this vaccine first - I'll wait a couple of years to see how it all works out for ya'll. If I get the Chinese Chills I have a greater than 99% chance of surviving - that's acceptable to me vs. a new technology based vaccine. Hell I don't buy first year cars. I'm not injecting a first year, new tech vaccine into my body.

I try to be unbiased and report the science/my anecdotal experience.
This particular case does point to several aspects of present, prior discussions. Med examiners (not saying all) are apparently fearful of live/viable infectious virus in recently expired individuals. Confidence of infectivity from secretions, lung, feces in expired not well defined yet apparently. Also, a confluence of events leading to more sedentary behavior (cue bac) on part of a baseline sluggish patient (though ex college pitcher parenthetically) may ( emphasis on may) have lead to this particular possibly
unnecessary outcome. We'll never know. Would have liked to see post - which we would likely have seen under other circumstances.
I found myself conflicted on how to list c.o.d.
ie. A secondary to B secondary to C

I'm pretty sure this is either the first mRNA vaccine or one of the first. I'll let the more interested and needy take this vaccine first - I'll wait a couple of years to see how it all works out for ya'll. If I get the Chinese Chills I have a greater than 99% chance of surviving - that's acceptable to me vs. a new technology based vaccine. Hell I don't buy first year cars. I'm not injecting a first year, new tech vaccine into my body.

The same guy telling us Covid-19 was just the flu but he didn't want to get it to help herd immunity because ...the sniffles sucks. So weak.

Just don't complain when things continue to stay shut down.

For such an alpha you seem real afraid of vaccines and new cars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT