ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for Numbers reVaccine/Immunity

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Not sure if you answered this in the Covid thread but really 2 questions. First How does one actually know if they have immunity after the second dose and to piggyback on that one does that exempt us from quarantine for 14 days if we have the immunity and travel. I have not really seen actual answers to these questions as I would like to take a trip after my second dose but obviously if I still have to quarantine than that is out
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
I don’t think you can know 100% that you are protected, but vigorous testing shows that it works 95% of the time, and in the other 5% it limits the severity of the illness. If you really want to see if you developed the antibodies, I think some antibody tests will tell you, but that seems overkill

Think quarantine rules vary by destination, but don’t think anyone has adjusted their rules yet for vaccinated people.

From what I've read, the vaccine prevents the virus from getting to your lungs, thus preventing symptoms, but the virus can still be present in your nose, which means you can still spread it to others. If that's accurate, I assume you would still need to quarantine since not everyone will have the vaccine.

From what I've read, the vaccine prevents the virus from getting to your lungs, thus preventing symptoms, but the virus can still be present in your nose, which means you can still spread it to others. If that's accurate, I assume you would still need to quarantine since not everyone will have the vaccine.

That is hard to believe to be accurate

If so, lousy vaccine.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
In the 2024 we will still be quarantining 10 days...distancing 6’ ... lining up for the newest , bestest vaccines available to the public all under our new social medicine system . Now you may have to wait 3-6 months but most of us if still around, will know the drill well By then.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Not sure if you answered this in the Covid thread but really 2 questions. First How does one actually know if they have immunity after the second dose and to piggyback on that one does that exempt us from quarantine for 14 days if we have the immunity and travel. I have not really seen actual answers to these questions as I would like to take a trip after my second dose but obviously if I still have to quarantine than that is out
Thanks in advance
You can do the antibody test. If it’s present, the vaccine has worked.

I said this in another thread. Until we have mass vaccination I’ll wear my symbolic mask. But if and when I travel I’m not quarantining

I could have been, BUT Rutgers, where my Dad Graduated, where my dad played football and lacrosse, where my Dad Coached football......wanted me to pay $ 40 bucks to apply. When EVERY other one of the fifty + schools that asked my to attend them for free told me to not pay the fee.

(nor fill out the 500 word essay on why I wanted to attend old U.)

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
So if he’s NOT a Rutger’s grad you regard him as less? Actually that is more telling about you personally and your view of a people who you evidently hold in contempt. I wasn’t aware that the board required someone to be a Rutger’s grad in order to participate In discussions on any specific topics. Right or Wrong...Agree or Disagree. To be quite honest if that isn’t privilege than you need a deeper look inside yourself.

Reactions: czxqa
So if he’s NOT a Rutger’s grad you regard him as less? Actually that is more telling about you personally and your view of a people who you evidently hold in contempt. I wasn’t aware that the board required someone to be a Rutger’s grad in order to participate In discussions on any specific topics. Right or Wrong...Agree or Disagree. To be quite honest if that isn’t privilege than you need a deeper look inside yourself.

You have it backwards. The poster in question has earned the low regard in which he is held, regardless whether he graduated RU or not. As such, it’s perfectly reasonable to hope he is not a graduate.

For your benefit, it’s Rutgers, not Rutger’s.

Well said.

Posters like Frida are held in such low regard for his post history and he's a Ruckers grad

You have it backwards. The poster in question has earned the low regard in which he is held, regardless whether he graduated RU or not. As such, it’s perfectly reasonable to hope he is not a graduate.

For your benefit, it’s Rutgers, not Rutger’s.
No shit Sherlock I ‘m pecking away on an I phone. and no it is a fact... for some odd reason Rutgers ( going back to when it thought it was a Ivy League Institution) some Alumni have this sense of haughtiness and look down upon others. I have witnessed this since being in school back in the late 60’s -70’s. Even Newark Rutgers was deemed inferior by the so called middle class families of Essex County-Bergen County-Union-Morris etc. Don’t keep patting us Rutgers alumni on the back as if we are so special. That is scary when it becomes so pervasive on a sports board.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Oh and one more thing Frida’s Boss. Never attempt to argue with those “ crazy and insane” people . Isn’t that another belief by SOME Rutgers grads on here.

No shit Sherlock I ‘m pecking away on an I phone. and no it is a fact... for some odd reason Rutgers ( going back to when it thought it was a Ivy League Institution) some Alumni have this sense of haughtiness and look down upon others. I have witnessed this since being in school back in the late 60’s -70’s. Even Newark Rutgers was deemed inferior by the so called middle class families of Essex County-Bergen County-Union-Morris etc. Don’t keep patting us Rutgers alumni on the back as if we are so special. That is scary when it becomes so pervasive on a sports board.

Bob, you made the same error twice in the same post. That’s why the issue was pointed out to you. One time is easily dismissed as a typo. Two times in the same post? If you say so.

On your other point, the view of the poster would be the same whether he had a Rutgers degree or not because that view is based upon his posts. I’m sure there are plenty of well respected posters on this board who are graduates of other schools or didn’t attend college at all. That’s the point. Views formed are based on posts, but once those views are formed, it’s certainly reasonable to hope obviously poor posters aren’t graduates.

Edit to respond to your subsequent post, which is a curious one as I’ve been responding to you.

Reactions: Greg2020
CDC gives recommendations for minimum quarantine but counties can make you quarantine longer. Co-worker was exposed to Covid but has tested negative twice. County is still requiring him to quarantine for 2 weeks.

In the 2024 we will still be quarantining 10 days...distancing 6’ ... lining up for the newest , bestest vaccines available to the public all under our new social medicine system . Now you may have to wait 3-6 months but most of us if still around, will know the drill well By then.
The ultimate pessimistic.

Bob, you made the same error twice in the same post. That’s why the issue was pointed out to you. One time is easily dismissed as a typo. Two times in the same post? If you say so.

On your other point, the view of the poster would be the same whether he had a Rutgers degree or not because that view is based upon his posts. I’m sure there are plenty of well respected posters on this board who are graduates of other schools or didn’t attend college at all. That’s the point. Views formed are based on posts, but once those views are formed, it’s certainly reasonable to hope obviously poor posters aren’t graduates.

Edit to respond to your subsequent post, which is a curious one as I’ve been responding to you.
If you say so. Exactly what I claimed about certain Rutgers people.Do you in your PC world believe at almost 71 I should care about hitting an apostrophe in error... mis spell a word ... screw up a sentence by improper syntax or punctuation ? If you do your more an idiot than we already realize. Frida do you know what you really need.😊

If you say so. Exactly what I claimed about certain Rutgers people.Do you in your PC world believe at almost 71 I should care about hitting an apostrophe in error... mis spell a word ... screw up a sentence by improper syntax or punctuation ? If you do your more an idiot than we already realize. Frida do you know what you really need.😊

I‘m glad I was able to teach you that the name of your university does not have an apostrophe. Now, I believe Nurse Ratched is calling you back to the main room for your medication. Run along, Bob.

I‘m glad I was able to teach you that the name of your university does not have an apostrophe. Now, I believe Nurse Ratched is calling you back to the main room for your medication. Run along, Bob.
You didn’t me teach anything sweetheart .What you did prove is you are part of the problem and not the solution . Would suggest your feeble attempts to shame and ridicule someone be put to better usage . What matters the most to me is staying healthy , growing my portfolio and enjoy the actual meaningful things being a retired senior citizen 🤑... just being able to get my exercise in daily along with my wife ...trying to advise my children and grandchildren on how to avoid people such as you Frida... see princess we don’t need those like you to live our lives happily. Remember the most forgotten fact... I have somehow ( with all my grammatical errors) managed to reach this age.

You didn’t me teach anything sweetheart .What you did prove is you are part of the problem and not the solution . Would suggest your feeble attempts to shame and ridicule someone be put to better usage . What matters the most to me is staying healthy , growing my portfolio and enjoy the actual meaningful things being a retired senior citizen 🤑... just being able to get my exercise in daily along with my wife ...trying to advise my children and grandchildren on how to avoid people such as you Frida... see princess we don’t need those like you to live our lives happily. Remember the most forgotten fact... I have somehow ( with all my grammatical errors) managed to reach this age.
Thanks for hijacking a vaccine thread to show your dislike for Rutgers. Go to the politics forum.

All evidence to the contrary. But I digress. The actions of the past week leave me less inclined to appease fools, but I will stand aside so the thread can return to its intended topic.
Ewwww a little bit of anger in this post 😊 exactly what you do to others you twit... or as Greg 2020 would end this dialogue.Twaddle ... you think only what someone of your liking posts and you find acceptable to the topic line is ok and all others are fools. Yes pumpkin you prove us right each time you chime in🤡

The vaccine teaches your immune system how to recognize the virus, so it can destroy it before it can replicate. It then wouldn't be able to live in any part of your body. It can't live just hanging out in your nostrils, that's sheer lunacy, a virus needs a suitable host to survive.

Last edited:
Thanks for hijacking a vaccine thread to show your dislike for Rutgers. Go to the politics forum.
I don’t dislike Rutgers and by what I have donated to the school ( over what the average alum has ) tells me you must be a female , student or grad or maybe not. You want people who actually hate this school... talk to some of those who teach or sit on the BOD. Oh and just scoot over to the MBB board after our loss to Ohio State ... they are really f’d up... you can criticize the team’s play or coaching but the Jekyll and Hyde fans are a real disgrace or do they get a free pass ? You need to know the person well before questioning their love of their school . You come off as ass with your reply.

The vaccine teaches your immune system how to recognize the virus, so it can destroy it before it can replicate. It then wouldn't be able to live in any part of your body. It can't live just hanging out in your nostrils that's sheer lunacy.
Exactly sad but true

You win the thread today. 👍

👏 👏
It helps when you're married to someone who's been a part of working on this stuff for 20yrs. at BMS, Forrest and Merck. Like the reason they were able to pump this vaccine out so quickly, they've already been working on mRNA vaccines for over a decade now.

They knew what not to do from trial and error over that decade. This wasn't rushed and a lot of the talking heads on TV should have told people exactly that to quell fears. A lot of misinformation flying around out there.

It helps when you're married to someone who's been a part of working on this stuff for 20yrs. at BMS, Forrest and Merck. Like the reason they were able to pump this vaccine out so quickly, they've already been working on mRNA vaccines for over a decade now.

They knew what not to do from trial and error over that decade. This wasn't rushed and a lot of the talking heads on TV should have told people exactly that to quell fears. A lot of misinformation flying around out there.

Thanks for your contributions, there is so much disinformation here.

The vaccine teaches your immune system how to recognize the virus, so it can destroy it before it can replicate. It then wouldn't be able to live in any part of your body. It can't live just hanging out in your nostrils, that's sheer lunacy, a virus needs a suitable host to survive.
Bingo - right on Koleszar.

I don’t dislike Rutgers and by what I have donated to the school ( over what the average alum has ) tells me you must be a female , student or grad or maybe not. You want people who actually hate this school... talk to some of those who teach or sit on the BOD. Oh and just scoot over to the MBB board after our loss to Ohio State ... they are really f’d up... you can criticize the team’s play or coaching but the Jekyll and Hyde fans are a real disgrace or do they get a free pass ? You need to know the person well before questioning their love of their school . You come off as ass with your reply.
It appears that you have issues about Rutgers supporters so therefore it appears that you dislike the school. I am not sure the vulgarity and name calling is necessary as well. I will not discuss the many thoughts of who you think I am such as a female, a student, a grad, or maybe not....since it should not matter

The basketball team lost a couple games yet I still positively support them. They were ranked and that has not happened in awhile. Just left the MBB board and have defended the BB team who is doing the best they can until they get healthy.

Last edited:
That is hard to believe to be accurate

If so, lousy vaccine.

The article posted above by RUfubar explains what I was saying.

"As game-changing as the Pfizer vaccine (and Moderna's equally effective mRNA-1273 vaccine) may be in affording protection against the COVID-19 illness, the results do not reflect complete 'sterilizing immunity.'

"This is the type of immunity that completely prevents a disease-causing pathogen like COVID-19 from establishing an infection. Sterilizing immunity differs from effective immunity in that the latter can prevent illness but still lead to asymptomatic infection.

"Although the current vaccine candidates have demonstrated the ability the reduce symptoms and the number of viruses in the lower respiratory tract, there is as of yet no evidence of sterilizing immunity in the upper respiratory tract."

I'm not trying to downplay the vaccine, I'm going to get it as soon as I'm able to, just pointing out that while the vaccine will prevent you from getting sick, it might not prevent you from spreading the virus to someone who isn't vaccinated, so we'll still have to wear masks, socially distance, etc.

Bingo - right on Koleszar.

sorry. but this is wrong
you can prevent severe disease by early generation mrna vaccine without sterilizing your nasopharyngeal passages thus not achieving sterilizing immunity. hopefully later generation vaccines will achieve this holy grail of more perfection. virus evolves as well and finds ways to survive which is why this Coronavirus and others yet to come will become endemic and part of our seasonal viral problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT