ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rick Beato YouTube Discussion on Music

Tom Petty’s music catalogue is one of the best in rock. He was a fantastic songwriter and his band was outstanding. I always get a kick out of people who cite a type of music as “simple”, usually they would not play it well. It’s not easy to get things just right. Sometimes I hear people who only listen and play rock , say traditional blues is “simple, minor pentatonic, same chord progressions,” blah, blah,blah. Yet when they play it , they sound and play like crap.
Never said he didn’t have a great catelog, Tom petty was pop music before pop music existed. He’s incredibly catchy, very easy to sing along to, has a feel good vibes around much of his music, he was a terrific talent!

Sometimes ‘Simple’ makes for great music. I’m a big White Stripes fan and Meg White was one of the most simple drummers of all time.

Honestly if you want a modern comparison to petty, ‘Matt and Kim’ are right up that ally. They’re super catchy and fun to listen to. Petty was super catchy and fun to listen to. Not knocking the guy, just pointing out the reality that his music is very simple.

Yeah, simple song by Tom Petty. LOL!

Umm yes incredibly simple. Maybe don’t choose a song where beato literrally states ‘the base and drum tempo’s never change in this song, they are the same throughout the whole song’

That is the definition of ‘simple’ music.

Heck you’d flip when you hear how on behind the music Dave Grohl described how Kurt would approach songwriting, ‘He wanted them to be almost like children’s songs, we would tell people we wanted the songs to be as simple as possible focusing on the melody first and the lyrics second’.

Again, nirvana is a good band, incredibly important to the history of music. Foo fighters are far more complicated in their progressions and music. Again, it’s like comparing Neil Pearl and Meg white. I like Meg white, she’s not Neil peart

Never said he didn’t have a great catelog, Tom petty was pop music before pop music existed. He’s incredibly catchy, very easy to sing along to, has a feel good vibes around much of his music, he was a terrific talent!

Sometimes ‘Simple’ makes for great music. I’m a big White Stripes fan and Meg White was one of the most simple drummers of all time.

Honestly if you want a modern comparison to petty, ‘Matt and Kim’ are right up that ally. They’re super catchy and fun to listen to. Petty was super catchy and fun to listen to. Not knocking the guy, just pointing out the reality that his music is very simple.
Just some clarification. “Pop Music” was around before Tom Petty was born. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are/were a rock band. Listen to an album like “Mojo” and let us know how commercially pop oriented and simplified it is. Again I would point out that “simple” isn’t always easy to play well. “Complexity” doesn’t necessarily mean musical ability. It’s about how you hit the notes not how many notes you hit.

Umm yes incredibly simple. Maybe don’t choose a song where beato literrally states ‘the base and drum tempo’s never change in this song, they are the same throughout the whole song’

Heck you’d flip when you hear how on behind the music Dave Grohl described how Kurt would approach songwriting, ‘He wanted them to be almost like children’s songs, we would tell people we wanted the songs to be as simple as possible focusing on the melody first and the lyrics second’.

Again, nirvana is a good band, incredibly important to the history of music. Foo fighters are far more complicated in their progressions and music. Again, it’s like comparing Neil Pearl and Meg white. I like Meg white, she’s not Neil peart
Calling Foo Fighters complex is funny.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

LOL! Very simple for someone that can't hear anything below the surface. 5 guitars, harmony vocals, keys, etc. Doing everything isn't complicated. Focusing on what will make a song great is.

Just some clarification. “Pop Music” was around before Tom Petty was born. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are/were a rock band. Listen to an album like “Mojo” and let us know how commercially pop oriented and simplified it is. Again I would point out that “simple” isn’t always easy to play well. “Complexity” doesn’t necessarily mean musical ability. It’s about how you hit the notes not how many notes you hit.
I don’t disagree that simple isn’t always easy to play well. And to be honest when gets too complicated it’s becomes unbearable. I respect the hell out of him but I have no idea how anyone finds listening to Yngwie Malmsteen ‘enjoyable’. However from a technical and speed standpoint the guy is unmatched imo.

Music is about finding the right balance for me. Petty is great, not saying he isnt. He’s very simple though, There’s also a reason why in anyone’s first 3 guitar lesson’s they are learning how to play ‘American Girl’ to understand tempo, crescendo, etc while playing essentially essentially 3 chords the whole song.

There’s a reason why every amateur/hobby guitar player knows at least 1-2 Petty songs. Don’t ask them to play ‘Monkey Wrench’ but ‘Learning to Fly’ by petty, come on we all know how to play it…👍

There’s also a reason why in anyone’s first 3 guitar lesson’s they are learning how to play ‘American Girl’ to understand tempo, crescendo, etc while playing essentially essentially 3 chords the whole song.

And what 3 chords would those be?

And what 3 chords would those be?
4 chords actually, start with a 7-10 octives leading into a D, followed by E7, Followed by G, Followed by A, Repeat... as you go into the main chorus throw an E minor in their and if you're real fancy a B minor as well. There you go, you can play American Girl now!

Last edited:
4 chords actually, start with a 7-10 octives leading into a D, followed by E7, Followed by G, Followed by A, Repeat... as you go into the main chorus throw an E minor in their and if you're real fancy a B minor as well. There you go, you can play American Girl now!
Don't forget the B minor. Then you will "make it last all night".

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
LOL! Very simple for someone that can't hear anything below the surface. 5 guitars, harmony vocals, keys, etc. Doing everything isn't complicated. Focusing on what will make a song great is.
my goodness if you are impressed by a producer doing his job you'd be blown away at what's going on "below the surface" on Pink Floyd.

On the topic of copyright and music, my personal opinion is that a I-IV-V or I-vi-IV-V or V7 is almost never infringement unless the melody line and bass or other riff is identical. I would say Tennessee Whisky is, though, a violation of I’d Rather Go Blind as cited above. Also, My Sweet Lord was a violation of He’s So Fine.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
On the topic of copyright and music, my personal opinion is that a I-IV-V or I-vi-IV-V or V7 is almost never infringement unless the melody line and bass or other riff is identical. I would say Tennessee Whisky is, though, a violation of I’d Rather Go Blind as cited above. Also, My Sweet Lord was a violation of He’s So Fine.
I agree regarding Tennessee Whiskey and I’d Rather Go Blind . I think Chris Stapleton is great but when I first heard that song (the vocal is great) I couldn’t believe how identical the musical arrangement was to I’d Rather Go Blind , an older song that I always liked.

I think Beato is one of the best YouTube music segments. He is extremely knowledgeable and informed. I’m going to post some of my favorite episodes. A discussion on the current state of rock music, a discussion on the declining interest in jazz, a series on the history of guitar players/playing and an interview with one of my favorite contemporary
musicians Derek Trucks which is one of the best music interviews I’ve seen:

The “Guitar” series should be required listening to graduate high school.

The “Guitar” series should be required listening to graduate high school.
I agree. We do a terrible job of teaching music and especially the evolution of popular music in the US. I’m amazed at the lack of knowledge of American citizens about music, especially in this day and age where there is so much information at your finger tips. I’m very much in favor of HS students understanding the history of Blues, Jazz, Country Western and Rock & Roll. It should be required .

I agree. We do a terrible job of teaching music and especially the evolution of popular music in the US. I’m amazed at the lack of knowledge of American citizens about music, especially in this day and age where there is so much information at your finger tips. I’m very much in favor of HS students understanding the history of Blues, Jazz, Country Western and Rock & Roll. It should be required .
My kids, 27 and RU graduates, were schooled in music from ages 5 or 6. I played, or made them listen to early blues and how it evolved to ‘50s, 60’s, and beyond rock and roll. Too many people don’t understand or appreciate the roots.

My kids, 27 and RU graduates, were schooled in music from ages 5 or 6. I played, or made them listen to early blues and how it evolved to ‘50s, 60’s, and beyond rock and roll. Too many people don’t understand or appreciate the roots.

Ditto.

Somewhere 2010ish my then 17 year-old daughter came running down the hall pounding on our bedroom door about 1:30 in the morning. "Crosby Stills & Nash at PNC, tickets just went on sale, buy me some NOW". Job well done, that.

As far as copyright infringement, funny enough to this conversation Tom Petty had maybe the most egregious I’ve ever personally heard. ‘Won’t back Down’ is identical in melody to Sam Smith’s ‘Stay With Me’

Given how this board skews heavily towards aging rockers, thought the latest Beato video on the Spotify current top ten rock songs would be of interest. Kind of nice to see Rick actually liking most of the songs he's listening to.

I think Beato is being positive and optimistic here which is fine. I think there are about 3 tunes here that are good rock tunes. You are not going to find the good rock stuff on popular mainstream platforms. Beato , who is a guitar guy should listen to Marcus King’s most recent album, it would blow away the tunes on here. Amazingly, due to people who write about music who don’t know what they are listening to, categorize King at times as “Country” which is ridiculous and stupid. He is a virtuoso rock, blues, jazz guitarist and a great singer.

I think Beato is being positive and optimistic here which is fine. I think there are about 3 tunes here that are good rock tunes. You are not going to find the good rock stuff on popular mainstream platforms. Beato , who is a guitar guy should listen to Marcus King’s most recent album, it would blow away the tunes on here. Amazingly, due to people who write about music who don’t know what they are listening to, categorize King at times as “Country” which is ridiculous and stupid. He is a virtuoso rock, blues, jazz guitarist and a great singer.
Any rock songs that need to overly use autotune and computerized adjustments are garbage. Most on that top-10 list fall into this category. However, still better than what is happening with pop music. Almost all of those "songs" are completely artificial and fake.

Any rock songs that need to overly use autotune and computerized adjustments are garbage. Most on that top-10 list fall into this category. However, still better than what is happening with pop music. Almost all of those "songs" are completely artificial and fake.

I don't know about autotune, but I can tell you that ProTools has changed the recording game in massive and horrific ways.

Guitars are played clean in the studio, now. All of the effects are added on the board. And they definitely have the ability to pitch-shift individual notes, either to get them in tune or alter the character of the melody or progression - e.g., "I think it will sound better if we go up a fifth on this A."

Given how this board skews heavily towards aging rockers, thought the latest Beato video on the Spotify current top ten rock songs would be of interest. Kind of nice to see Rick actually liking most of the songs he's listening to.

1. Greta Van Fleet - solid song. Does sound like Geddy Lee. GVF got a lot of heat early on for channeling/imitating Led Zeppelin. Guess they switched gears. Still great vocal range decent musically.

2. Welcome to the DCC- Nothing but Thieves--Meh, not doing it for me as a "rock" song. More of a pop song, IMO.

3. Emergency Contact- Pierce the Veil- It's OK, but the guitars seems really lost in the mix.

4. Running out of Time- Paramore--Decent song.

5. Love from the Other Side- Fall Out Boy-- best one on the list, IMO.

6. Rescued - Foo Fighters-- Like it, but not a huge Foo fan.

7. Lost- Linkin Park- Never liked this band. Sad what Chester did, following Chris Cornell. May he RIP.

8. Baby Said- Maneskin-- It's OK, but again, doesn't feel like a rock song, more of a pop song.

9. Lost- Bring Me the Horizon- Same as #8.

I guess "classic rock" may truly be dead. A band like Extreme makes new music, and it does not seem to be making a ripple:

Or the Hold Steady, a more mellow, straight-ahead rock band with some very solid lyrics and music:

He is fantastic and I think one of the most refreshing musical acts around today. He is very talented and I love his and the band’s approach to music. I hope to see him play live in the near future.
One of the best live acts I’ve ever seen. The guys incredible, entire band is

Last edited:
He is fantastic and I think one of the most refreshing musical acts around today. He is very talented and I love his and the band’s approach to music. I hope to see him play live in the near future.
First saw his name as he was playing at the Sea Hear Now festival in AP last summer, which I missed. Can't say I know much of his music (casual fan of bluegrass/Americana/country), but I like the couple of songs I've heard on the Americana channel on SXM - the two in this thread are nice, too - very talented guitarist. His tour (link below) doesn't come that close to NYC/NJ - closest are Wilkes Barre, Syracuse and Baltimore. I also like his reasoning for calling his stepfather (who raised him since he was 2 as his birth father ODed) his dad: "Terry raised me and taught me how to wipe my ass, tie my shoes, and play guitar. That’s my ****ing dad."

https://www.ticketmaster.com/billy-strings-tickets/artist/2253625

Reactions: Knight Shift
1. Greta Van Fleet - solid song. Does sound like Geddy Lee. GVF got a lot of heat early on for channeling/imitating Led Zeppelin. Guess they switched gears. Still great vocal range decent musically.

2. Welcome to the DCC- Nothing but Thieves--Meh, not doing it for me as a "rock" song. More of a pop song, IMO.

3. Emergency Contact- Pierce the Veil- It's OK, but the guitars seems really lost in the mix.

4. Running out of Time- Paramore--Decent song.

5. Love from the Other Side- Fall Out Boy-- best one on the list, IMO.

6. Rescued - Foo Fighters-- Like it, but not a huge Foo fan.

7. Lost- Linkin Park- Never liked this band. Sad what Chester did, following Chris Cornell. May he RIP.

8. Baby Said- Maneskin-- It's OK, but again, doesn't feel like a rock song, more of a pop song.

9. Lost- Bring Me the Horizon- Same as #8.

I guess "classic rock" may truly be dead. A band like Extreme makes new music, and it does not seem to be making a ripple:

Or the Hold Steady, a more mellow, straight-ahead rock band with some very solid lyrics and music:

I like the Paramore song a lot more than I expected and I really enjoyed the Fall Out Boy song (have always liked their high energy stuff), plus I like the FF song a lot, too. None of the rest stood out much to me, although these mostly fit into the classic rock genre for me. Been a fan of the Hold Steady for years - great live band too.

I like the Paramore song a lot more than I expected and I really enjoyed the Fall Out Boy song (have always liked their high energy stuff), plus I like the FF song a lot, too. None of the rest stood out much to me, although these mostly fit into the classic rock genre for me. Been a fan of the Hold Steady for years - great live band too.
We went to the Wonder Bar several years ago to see Craig Finn (lead singer of The Hold Steady) solo. Two of my friends are musicians, and we all agreed it was less exciting than seeing grass grow. Maybe The Hold Steady are more animated. Craig has the look of a nerdy accountant or patent attorney (don't know any!) and does not have a ton of stage presence. Still love the way he weaves stories with his lyrics and his overall songwriting. They all can't be Bruce Springsteen live.

We went to the Wonder Bar several years ago to see Craig Finn (lead singer of The Hold Steady) solo. Two of my friends are musicians, and we all agreed it was less exciting than seeing grass grow. Maybe The Hold Steady are more animated. Craig has the look of a nerdy accountant or patent attorney (don't know any!) and does not have a ton of stage presence. Still love the way he weaves stories with his lyrics and his overall songwriting. They all can't be Bruce Springsteen live.
I would imagine solo is a lot less energy than with the full band, who I've seen a couple of times and liked a lot or maybe it was just an off night.

Oh yes. Rick Beato with Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme.

Clip from Nuno: "It pisses me off because you are way more famous than I am right now, and it's annoying." 😂

We all know that talent does not translate to fame.

This is awesome:

On playing on Eddie Van Halen's rig and thinking he would get the sound Eddie got: "I'm never going to sound like Edward."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT