ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rick Beato YouTube Discussion on Music

Thought the post immediately above would have gotten more than crickets. Highly recommend that episode. Nuno is hilarious.

@RUGuitarMan , don't remember which thread, but this is a great 20 minute clip of Beato breaking down a Slipknot song. Slipknot is probably not your cup of tea, but I gained a new appreciation for Slipknot as more than just an aggressive/loud band.

Really great analysis in the video, but a couple of comments under the video stood out too:

"One of the greatest parts of this channel is the open mindedness. No genre is looked down on. If it's well executed it gets discussed. Well done."

"When you break down a song like this, like Rick has you can hear just how much complexity there is in it and how much work has gone in to it. No one who understands it could ever look down on it as lesser music."

"Openess when he's talking about songs and albums that are at least 15 years old. Sadly, a lot of Rick's audience is your typical closed minded rocker that hates everything that comes out today."

Reactions: RUScrew85
Thought the post immediately above would have gotten more than crickets. Highly recommend that episode. Nuno is hilarious.

@RUGuitarMan , don't remember which thread, but this is a great 20 minute clip of Beato breaking down a Slipknot song. Slipknot is probably not your cup of tea, but I gained a new appreciation for Slipknot as more than just an aggressive/loud band.

Really great analysis in the video, but a couple of comments under the video stood out too:

"One of the greatest parts of this channel is the open mindedness. No genre is looked down on. If it's well executed it gets discussed. Well done."

"When you break down a song like this, like Rick has you can hear just how much complexity there is in it and how much work has gone in to it. No one who understands it could ever look down on it as lesser music."

"Openess when he's talking about songs and albums that are at least 15 years old. Sadly, a lot of Rick's audience is your typical closed minded rocker that hates everything that comes out today."

Beato is great. His videos give such insightful and interesting ways to look at music that most of us just listen to.

Beato is great. His videos give such insightful and interesting ways to look at music that most of us just listen to.
And he hopefully opens minds to music they may not have considered before. His breakdown of that Slipknot song was incredible. I listen to Slipknot and similar music when I am lifting or riding my bike for the adrenaline rush, and to me, it is just loud and aggressive. But for the Slipknot song, he pointed out the intricacy of the composition and performance.

Beato is terrific and a valuable music resource available to people. He is extremely knowledgeable and educated. I did listen to the Bettencourt and Slipknot videos. Nuno is interesting and obviously a very talented guitar player. I was impressed with a number of points he made about a player’s “sound” has more to do with hands and heart than gear, which I completely agree with. Also his points about guitar solos serving and fitting the song , not being an egocentric attempt to impress. All the best players understand that, it’s the hack players that always try to impress the audience. The Slipknot video was interesting, obviously the musicianship is very good. You are correct , not my cup of tea. My musical tastes were formed in a much earlier period and I like more space, slower tempo, more nuance and soul in the music that moves me emotionally and spiritually.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Beato is terrific and a valuable music resource available to people. He is extremely knowledgeable and educated. I did listen to the Bettencourt and Slipknot videos. Nuno is interesting and obviously a very talented guitar player. I was impressed with a number of points he made about a player’s “sound” has more to do with hands and heart than gear, which I completely agree with. Also his points about guitar solos serving and fitting the song , not being an egocentric attempt to impress. All the best players understand that, it’s the hack players that always try to impress the audience. The Slipknot video was interesting, obviously the musicianship is very good. You are correct , not my cup of tea. My musical tastes were formed in a much earlier period and I like more space, slower tempo, more nuance and soul in the music that moves me emotionally and spiritually.
Me and Mrs. Shift are going to see Nuno's band Extreme next month. I am not a huge fan of the band, but I have watched some live performances of them on YouTube, and I am excited to see them. As a bonus, the band Living Colour, who has another under-appreciated guitar god, Vernon Reid. The entire band is solid, including the singer Corey Glover. They had a couple/few hits in the 1980s, and I saw them years ago in a small club. They are really tight live.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
And he hopefully opens minds to music they may not have considered before. His breakdown of that Slipknot song was incredible. I listen to Slipknot and similar music when I am lifting or riding my bike for the adrenaline rush, and to me, it is just loud and aggressive. But for the Slipknot song, he pointed out the intricacy of the composition and performance.
Exactly. I always wonder if the writers knew what they were doing or it just sounded good.

I want to go. I’m going to see how much tickets are. I’m not paying $200 to see them. lol
I have too many other concerts I want to attend in the next few months.
Three nights (20-22) at MSG sold out this week.
Stub has tickets for 80-90ish plus service fees.
Might be lower for last day

Reactions: Jm0513
Great gig - audience was juiced and Smith was pumped-up by it.
NYC audiences can seem aloof sometimes but not on 20th.

HNS2bFj.gif

Last edited:
Great gig - audience was juiced and Smith was pumped-up by it.
NYC audiences can seem aloof sometimes but not on 20th.

nkSC6pg.gif
Being friends with so many Melody folks, we had probably a dozen or more different friends going to these shows at MSG and every one raved about the shows. Having seen them 3 times in the 80s and once around 2015 or so, we didn't have a big drive to go, but now I kind of wish we did...

Reactions: ashokan
Being friends with so many Melody folks, we had probably a dozen or more different friends going to these shows at MSG and every one raved about the shows. Having seen them 3 times in the 80s and once around 2015 or so, we didn't have a big drive to go, but now I kind of wish we did...

I was at the 6/20 gig and many people said it was the best of the current tour (one person saw 11 shows). But since then people have liked the following shows even more. For whatever reasons, the band and the audience were pumped. The band would begin a number and I would hear someone say "wow these guys are good!"

That highlights a point about The Cure - they aim to be a live performance band. Smith doesn't particularly like making albums. The band sounds different live. I would hear recordings and think " seems like something is missing - song is too simple." Then I hear the songs live and its like "whoa!" Vids and CDs dont capture full effects.

Smith sees a song as an "atmospheres..a big palette, a big wash of sound.” The sum of the whole has to be greater than the parts. That's why there are few solos or flamboyant bits. A song starts and it comes at you like a truck but on a magic carpet.

Its my sense that they've gotten better at that the last years. Former guitarist Porl Thompson could go off the handle while current player Reeves Gabriel (NYC born) stays inside the pocket. Songs are very clean and precise yet feel expansive and free. I cant listen to "Friday I'm in Love" at home. Live its like magic - especially in a great space like MSG. Both bands really liked it there.

Anyway that's one reason why I think people are really liking The Cure a lot now. Plus people just love Robert Smith. Its not just the music but the way he's stayed on point. He looks like hell but sounds the same. When he sings about "days gone by and lost youth" its more fitting now than 30 years ago. Getting in Ticketmaster's face helped a lot too. Sure he only saved people a few bucks but a lot of acts hide behind Ticketmaster's funk.

As a comparison, here is a vid of Porl Thompson wrecking a song ( 'From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea') with a frenetic solo. Next vid is Reeves Gabriel coming in just as Smith reach a crescendo and then fading back into Smith. That keeps the song rolling intact

From Wed night - 4:35 in

Last edited:
A woman on Instagram streamed a lot of the NYC shows
Most of the streams are really good - up real close in front rows and great sound.

Tonight the band is in Philly and the acoustics are pretty bad compared to MSG

Last edited:
It’s a

It’s a good story. There is a kind of unwritten rule in music, especially in rock, not to critique other bands publically, no matter what you may think of them privately. Also, most bands who have some success, usually have some rules about drinking or anything else prior to playing live. There is a reason for that.
It does happen from time to time though. MANY bands including RATM, Korn, and Slipknot have come out publicly against Limp Bizkit and specifically Fred durst. Now I personally think that’s warranted as Limp Bizkit might be the worst musical act in the history of music. However another notable example is Nickleback. So many bands have come out against nickleback

Last edited:
It does happen from time to time though. MANY bands including RATM, Korn, and Slipknot have come out publicly against Limp Bizkit and specifically Fred durst. Not I personally think that’s warranted as Limp Bizkit might be the worst musical act in the history of music. However another notable example is Nickleback. So many bands have come out against nickleback
That is true, it does happen at times. However, I think it can lead to a slippery slope. I recall when I was getting into music seriously in the 70s, Punk rock was becoming popular. I grew up listening to earlier blues/folk based rock from the 60s and early 70s and didn’t think much of the Punk musicianship, singing, etc. Some in Punk criticized the Progressive rock bands from the era, claiming Punk music was a return to the “roots” of rock with “attitude”. That was very much a stretch. Overall I thought it was lacking soul and the playing was mediocre . In Rock you don’t have to be a virtuoso which is part of the fun, but playing a groove with some musicianship is helpful.

I recall when I was getting into music seriously in the 70s, Punk rock was becoming popular. I grew up listening to earlier blues/folk based rock from the 60s and early 70s and didn’t think much of the Punk musicianship, singing, etc.

Robert Smith said he knew that The Cure would be successful because the punk bands were very bad

Reactions: RUScrew85
That is true, it does happen at times. However, I think it can lead to a slippery slope. I recall when I was getting into music seriously in the 70s, Punk rock was becoming popular. I grew up listening to earlier blues/folk based rock from the 60s and early 70s and didn’t think much of the Punk musicianship, singing, etc. Some in Punk criticized the Progressive rock bands from the era, claiming Punk music was a return to the “roots” of rock with “attitude”. That was very much a stretch. Overall I thought it was lacking soul and the playing was mediocre . In Rock you don’t have to be a virtuoso which is part of the fun, but playing a groove with some musicianship is helpful.
You simply don't get punk, then. Which is ok - not everyone does.

I see he did a Taylor Swift segment.
The manager she outsmarted just lost Ariana Grande and he seems to be flaming out
I nerver thought much about Swift's playing/singing but I watched oneof her Eras gigs on YouTube and I have to admit she's a really good songwriter for the audience she has

You simply don't get punk, then. Which is ok - not everyone does.
That is probably true. It’s a subjective thing. I just think the “attitude” thing only goes so far. I saw The Clash live in the early 80s. They opened for The Who. By all accounts, The Clash was one of the best in the sub genre of Punk. I thought they were pretty good but The Who was much better in my opinion.

That is probably true. It’s a subjective thing. I just think the “attitude” thing only goes so far. I saw The Clash live in the early 80s. They opened for The Who. By all accounts, The Clash was one of the best in the sub genre of Punk. I thought they were pretty good but The Who was much better in my opinion.
Not in the same league. Three of the original members of The Who....John Entwhistle, Keith Moon, and Pete Townsend would make any list of the best ever players of their instruments. And Townsend is a creative genius. Just him and an acoustic guitar was magic onstage.
When we saw The Clash at the Capitol Theater in Passaic my girlfriend at the time exclaimed that those guys couldn't even play their instruments.
The enthusiasm of the crowd was far greater for The Clash though.
I loved both bands live.

What does this have to do about Beato?

BTW the Kirk Hammett interview is splendid.

Finally listened to this interview. As a Metallic fan since Master of Puppets who idolized Kirk during my novice guitar years, what an amazing guy and performer. Outstanding interview and conversation. Time well spent! I learned a lot about him, the band, and most importantly, what makes him one of the greatest of all-time.

This is fantastic! BTW, Zakk Wylde was born in Bayonne, and grew up in Jackson. Wrestled at Jackson Memorial High School, where Scott Goodale coached. Zakk is pretty ripped.

Just watched this one again. I know it was discussed before, but wow, crazy amount of mixing and "hidden" tracks throughout the song. Tom Scholz was insane. LOL!

I like Beato’s regular vids and the interviews.

Pat Finnerty’s good too and funny

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT