ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock and Roll HOF 2024 Inductees

Once again Minnie Riperton is snubbed by the committee.

No one who has ever heard their music would characterize it as rock and roll.
Same for Mary J. Blige, Kool & the Gang, and Cher.
What a joke.
1) I actually agree. But I guess MUSIC HOF (that this thing has evolved to) don’t have the same juice as ROCK AND ROLL HOF to change the name!

2) I know they’re not the cup of tea for most of you. Mary J, Kool and the Gang are more talented than some who’s already in. Just like any other HOF.

3) I can’t wait for the head explosions in anger when the HOF runs out of American/ British Performers that they start inducting Latino performers from the ultra talented Hector Lavoe, Marc Nathony, Sheila E, Selena, Tito Puentes, Celia Cruz, Santana etc to the Sales ones who just make more money than God like JLo, Bad Bunny, Ricky Martin, Don Omar, etc

Reactions: DirtyRU
1) I actually agree. But I guess MUSIC HOF (that this thing has evolved to) don’t have the same juice as ROCK AND ROLL HOF to change the name!

2) I know they’re not the cup of tea for most of you. Mary J, Kool and the Gang are more talented than some who’s already in. Just like any other HOF.

3) I can’t wait for the head explosions in anger when the HOF runs out of American/ British Performers that they start inducting Latino performers from the ultra talented Hector Lavoe, Marc Nathony, Sheila E, Selena, Tito Puentes, Celia Cruz, Santana etc to the Sales ones who just make more money than God like JLo, Bad Bunny, Ricky Martin, Don Omar, etc
I see your point. However Santana was inducted in 1998.

I’m glad Peter Frampton got this, he should have been in 20 years ago. I think the “Musical Influence” recipients are deserving. The only one I’m aware of that I have an issue with is Cher. She is just not a very good singer.

Reactions: ru8081 and LOU-RU85

No, no, no, no! Get it right, the name should be:

The Rock & Pop Hall of Popular Performers

Worst inductees collectively ever

It was intended for exceptional artists

I think the RRHOF realized they would run out of "iconic" rock bands and needed a broader reach.
TBH a lot of rock bands aren't particularly special aside from some uni days sentimentality.
Frampton is one of the legit rockers but a lot of people under 40 wont even know who he is.
In 15 years "Do You Feel Like I do" has 24 million views on YT
Mary J. Blige has 600 million in 14 years for " Family Affair"
Of course she's not a rocker but RRHOF isn't an "official" museum/HOF fame either

I’m glad Peter Frampton got this, he should have been in 20 years ago. I think the “Musical Influence” recipients are deserving. The only one I’m aware of that I have an issue with is Cher. She is just not a very good singer.

There should be a musical variety shows of the 70s HOF and she could be in that 😊

Even THAT selection would be controversial.

If they're gonna do that then they should start with the greats of reggae music....besides Bob Marley...who is already in.
A short list should include Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse, Peter Tosh, The Itals, Third World, and Toots and the Maytals.
Not to forget future nominees...Tarrus Riley and Etana.

Last edited:
Reactions: tico brown
I think the RRHOF realized they would run out of "iconic" rock bands and needed a broader reach.
TBH a lot of rock bands aren't particularly special aside from some uni days sentimentality.
Frampton is one of the legit rockers but a lot of people under 40 wont even know who he is.
In 15 years "Do You Feel Like I do" has 24 million views on YT
Mary J. Blige has 600 million in 14 years for " Family Affair"
Of course she's not a rocker but RRHOF isn't an "official" museum/HOF fame either
Every year since the 90s, Mary J has put out a single on how bad she has been treated in her relationships… like clockwork.

After all of these years, maybe it’s her that’s been the problem.

If they're gonna do that then they should start with the greats of reggae music....besides Bob Marley...who is already in.
A short list should include Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse, Peter Tosh, The Itals, and Toots and the Maytals.
interested nodding GIF

Every year since the 90s, Mary J has put out a single on how bad she has been treated in her relationships… like clockwork.

After all of these years, maybe it’s her that’s been the problem.
People say that about Swift now too lol.

In fact, I also hear more people say to "stop blaming Bobby Brown because Whitney was the bigger problem for both."

Mary J is from Yonkers (like DMX was) and I know a guy from there who fought for heavyweight title in 80s (almost won). He told me Mary was a pass around girl in Yonkers.

Mary J. Blige, Cher, Ozzy Osbourne, A Tribe Called Quest, Kool & The Gang, and Foreigner

You left out Dave Matthews Band and Peter Frampton. A fairly eclectic mix of artists. Not all my favorites, but unlike many around here, I like that the RRHOF is not just focused on "rock" music but has acknowledged the importance of many genres of music, which grew out of rock and roll or were at least heavily influenced by rock and roll (and vice-versa). Also, if it were focused just on "rock" music, it would have become irrelevant 20+ years ago. In addition, from the very beginning of the RRHOF, there have been plenty of artists inducted who might not have been considered "rock and roll" artists, so it's not something new. I assume we'll have these arguments every year, lol.

Reactions: tico brown
None of those three would ever get a vote from me - would way rather see Tribe Called Quest, Aretha Franklin and Dolly Parton in the Hall...
The only reason why I am 50-50 on Styx is that I think their music is more distinctive than other similar bands and it has remained in our cultural consciousness more. Just my perception.

Regardless, not going to die in a ditch for them. Borderline at best.

None of those three would ever get a vote from me - would way rather see Tribe Called Quest, Aretha Franklin and Dolly Parton in the Hall...
Forgot to mention - Aretha and Dolly are, well, Aretha and Dolly, but I'm not giving the Rock and Roll HOF a pass until they change their name.

As for TCQ, I know of them yet couldn't name one song of theirs. Meh.

The only reason why I am 50-50 on Styx is that I think their music is more distinctive than other similar bands and it has remained in our cultural consciousness more. Just my perception.

Regardless, not going to die in a ditch for them. Borderline at best.
I actually started listening to Styx over the past year and realized how good they are. Funny thing about Styx is that they are most famous these days for their pop ballads (Come Sail Away and Mr. Roboto, Lady) which are ok, with only Renegade as their hard rock radio play, so I only heard those songs before I delve into them months ago. For me Styx actually have some of my favorite hard rock pieces out there which are on the level of any of the top bands and they have some elite guitar solo work... Blue Collar Man, Suite Madame Blue, Lorelei, Queen of Spades, Man in the Wilderness, Crystal Ball, Best of Times, Miss America.

C'mon that's a HOF portfolio. Might not have as many big radio hits as GNR or ACDC, but personally I like them better.

At least A Tribe Called Quest finally made it! Who ever they are.
And once again we are all reminded of the demographic majority that makes up this board. What’s the % overlap with folks complaining here and the same one complaining about Usher doing the Super Bowl halftime? In all seriousness if you like hip hop check out Tribe they are great. If you don’t that’s fine too.

I assume we'll have these arguments every year, lol.
I have it every year with my older male coworkers. Some liberal, some conservative, but all annoyed that non R&R folks are being inducted.

When I first saw the list I told them that Mariah would be a first year inductee. I love teasing them.

Totally agree that it isn't R&R HOF anymore, but also agree it needed to expand or become irrelevant.

People will flip if Daddy Yankee and Bad Bunny ever get Nominated.. but that is what kids are hearing now

Reactions: RU848789
it's the friggin Pop-Music Hall of Fame... absolutely deviating from Exclusive ROCK, which is broad enough.... Whitney Houston, Dolly Parton, Cher, Chakah Khan, etc...
Stop the nonsense.... Howard Stern (not a fan anymore) said it best when introducing Bon Jovi (finally) few years back about the politics and what is taking the "committee" so long to put people in.
** Such a sell out of an organization now **

A Tribe Called Quest is awesome, they introduced Q-Tip and Busta Rhymes to the world and were some of the innovators of hip-hop. Its just stupid that the Rock & Roll HOF focuses so much on hip-hop and pop acts and doesn't induct actual important innovators and rock bands that made impacts in the actual genre of Rock, especially since so many of them are now hitting their senior years and so many are passing away. As a guy that grew up in the 80s-90s with hip hop and as an adult is rediscovering the classic rock of the 60s-80s and appreciating how insanely creative and superior it was to the music we hear nowadays, its appalling. The music they were putting out in the late 60s through 70s was absolutely incredible, no wonder Michael Jackson and Prince appreciated it so much, and Puff Daddy and other rap producers sampled the music from both classic rock and funk every chance they got.

Styx
Iron Maiden
Kansas
Alice in Chains
B-52s
Blue Oyster Cult
Boston
Korn
Lenny Kravitz
Megadeth
Motley Crue
Queens of the Stone Age
Scorpions
Smashing Pumpkins
Billy Squier
Stone Temple Pilots
Weezer

so many others, yet they are busy inducting hip hop acts. Did they induct MC Hammer yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: LOU-RU85
People say that about Swift now too lol.

In fact, I also hear more people say to "stop blaming Bobby Brown because Whitney was the bigger problem for both."

Mary J is from Yonkers (like DMX was) and I know a guy from there who fought for heavyweight title in 80s (almost won). He told me Mary was a pass around girl in Yonkers.
Don't know about the Mary J thing but very true about Bobby and Whitney. Bobby had nothing to do with her getting hooked on drugs. That was her brothers. In fact Bobby never was a druggie. He struggled more with alcohol.

A short list should include Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse, Peter Tosh, Third World, The Itals, and Toots and the Maytals.
Highlighted by The Itals classic Herbs Pirate, Gregory Isaac's awesome Night Nurse, and an incredible version of Peter Tosh's Downpressor Man by Sinead O'Connor.

Last edited:
Late last year Cher said that after "being snubbed" for so many years that she didn't want to be in it. Let's see what she does now.

Late last year Cher said that after "being snubbed" for so many years that she didn't want to be in it. Let's see what she does now.

It’s ironic that in the article Cher cites her single “Believe” from 1998 as “changing music forever”. It is explained how that song introduced autotune technology into pop music. That fact alone should have kept her out of the R&RHOF forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT