ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R & R HOF Nominees Announced

tenor.gif

Mariah Carey? Cher? Come on...Hendrix, John Bonham, Keith Moon, John Entwistle and many other real RnR giants are rolling over in their graves. Again.

mariah carey...that is ridiculous

ditto for mary j blige..are you kidding me.

The Sade nomination is interesting because she is quality but not for the rock and roll hall of fame

kool and the gang..no

sinead...sorry no

lenny kravitz...no come on

dave matthews..dont think so

ozzy yes foreigner yes. frampton yes...Oasis not sure on that one

Once again Minnie Riperton is being disparaged by her exclusion from this list.

And no Nicki Minaj? Her song Anaconda should guarantee her immediate entrance to the hall.

mariah carey...that is ridiculous

ditto for mary j blige..are you kidding me.

The Sade nomination is interesting because she is quality but not for the rock and roll hall of fame

kool and the gang..no

sinead...sorry no

lenny kravitz...no come on

dave matthews..dont think so

ozzy yes foreigner yes. frampton yes...Oasis not sure on that one
Agree on Ozzie, Frampton, Foreigner. Only one will get in so that Mariah and Mary J can get in ahead of them. 🤦‍♂️

Oasis-forgot-did Rage Against the Machine get in with their tiny catalogue? If so, Oasis is yes.

Lenny Kravitz is a yes to me only because he plays/played? guitar driven rock music.

Kool and the Gang opened for Van Halen on their 2015 tour- they will get in.

Dave Mathews Band- not my cup of tea, but can't deny their success-they should go in.

Massively influential bands like Iron Maiden, Pantera, Motörhead, and way more continue to get snubbed by an institution whose reputation seems to only be getting worse as time wears on.

Last edited:
Big time YES for Foreigner ! Just saw Lou Gramm on Friday Night at Count Basie.

Also Big Time YES to Kool and the Gang ! Real good group. I really dig their early stuff -Jungle Boogie / Hollywood Swingin and they had some groovy tunes in the 80 s.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Big time YES for Foreigner ! Just saw Lou Gramm on Friday Night at Count Basie.

Also Big Time YES to Kool and the Gang ! Real good group. I really dig their early stuff -Jungle Boogie / Hollywood Swingin and they had some groovy tunes in the 80 s.
There is a recording of the full show on YouTube. He sounded very good. Those high notes are not easy to hit as one gets older.

really bad because now they are including all pop hip hop artists

seemingly they have dropped all standards so they can be inclusive and satisfy the current climate

You really packed a lot of extra stuff in there.

I actually agreed with you for a minute there and then you had to go and cry about “inclusive”.

I think it’s stupid too but I have no idea what the motives are.

You really packed a lot of extra stuff in there.

I actually agreed with you for a minute there and then you had to go and cry about “inclusive”.

I think it’s stupid too but I have no idea what the motives are.
Let's be real.

No Guess Who
No Ozzy yet
no Iron Maiden
No Scorpions
No Pantera
No Smiths

What do all these bands have in common?

How Soon is Now and American Woman alone are more rock than what Cher, Mariah Carey, and Mary J. Blige have released in their careers combined.

Agree that it's a joke. If you want to call yourself RnR Hall of Fame, then narrow don't broaden As unpopular as it would be, attempt to define RnR, including songs that are and (acknowledging that they may be great) that aren't. Otherwise, rename yourself, something like what Christgau did at the Village Voice: create a Pazz and Jop Hall of Fame. (Yes, it was Pazz and Jop.)

Agree that it's a joke. If you want to call yourself RnR Hall of Fame, then narrow don't broaden As unpopular as it would be, attempt to define RnR, including songs that are and (acknowledging that they may be great) that aren't. Otherwise, rename yourself, something like what Christgau did at the Village Voice: create a Pazz and Jop Hall of Fame. (Yes, it was Pazz and Jop.)
How do you define Rock and Roll? It’s not an easy thing to do without being very subjective. I agree that there are folks on this list and in previous years that should not be in and there are numerous oversights. Back when I was young, Simon & Garfunkel, Carole King, Carly Simon , James Taylor, etc were considered R&R. So was America, Neil Diamond. So was Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc. Traditional R&B has been a huge influence on R&R , so many R&B artists should be and some are included. As for the list this year, at least Mary Blige can flat out sing, Cher certainly can’t.

How do you define Rock and Roll? It’s not an easy thing to do without being very subjective. I agree that there are folks on this list and in previous years that should not be in and there are numerous oversights. Back when I was young, Simon & Garfunkel, Carole King, Carly Simon , James Taylor, etc were considered R&R. So was America, Neil Diamond. So was Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc. Traditional R&B has been a huge influence on R&R , so many R&B artists should be and some are included. As for the list this year, at least Mary Blige can flat out sing, Cher certainly can’t.
All fair points. Except Cher. She rocked out on I Got You Babe with Beavis and Butt-Head. But they had to carry the song.

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
This linked list- it's criminal that Mariah Carey and Mary J Blige are nominated. Some on this list:

America, Bad Company, Badfinger, Asia, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Blind Faith, Blue Cheer, Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Phil Collins, The Cult, Spencer Davis Group, Devo, Dio, ELP, John Fogerty, Foghat, Foreigner, Frampton, J Geils Band, Grand Funk Railroad, Sammy Hagar, Humble Pie, Billy Idol, INXS, Iron Butterfly, Iron Maiden, James Gang, Jethro Tull, Kansas, King Crimson, Korn, Annie Lennox, Manfred Mann, Marshall Tucker Band, MC5, Meat Loaf, Megadeth, The Monkees, Montrose, Motorhead, Mott the Hoople, Mountain, Nazareth, NY Dolls, Night Ranger, Ted Nugent (will never happen and we know why), The Outlaws, Pixies, Robert Freaking Plant, Iggy Pop, Procol Harum, Rainbow, The Rasberries, REO Speedwagon, David Lee Roth, Joe Satriani, Slade, Slayer, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Billy Squier, Steppenwolf, Stone Temple Pilots, Stray Cats, Styx, Supertramp, Thin Lizzy, 38 Special, Three Dog Night, Tool, Toto, Uriah Heep, Joe Walsh, War, Steve Winwood, Warren Zevon.

And not on the list, but Living Colour. A definite bias against alternative and hard rock bands in favor of artists with very questionable "rock" credentials.

This linked list- it's criminal that Mariah Carey and Mary J Blige are nominated. Some on this list:

America, Bad Company, Badfinger, Asia, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Blind Faith, Blue Cheer, Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Phil Collins, The Cult, Spencer Davis Group, Devo, Dio, ELP, John Fogerty, Foghat, Foreigner, Frampton, J Geils Band, Grand Funk Railroad, Sammy Hagar, Humble Pie, Billy Idol, INXS, Iron Butterfly, Iron Maiden, James Gang, Jethro Tull, Kansas, King Crimson, Korn, Annie Lennox, Manfred Mann, Marshall Tucker Band, MC5, Meat Loaf, Megadeth, The Monkees, Montrose, Motorhead, Mott the Hoople, Mountain, Nazareth, NY Dolls, Night Ranger, Ted Nugent (will never happen and we know why), The Outlaws, Pixies, Robert Freaking Plant, Iggy Pop, Procol Harum, Rainbow, The Rasberries, REO Speedwagon, David Lee Roth, Joe Satriani, Slade, Slayer, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Billy Squier, Steppenwolf, Stone Temple Pilots, Stray Cats, Styx, Supertramp, Thin Lizzy, 38 Special, Three Dog Night, Tool, Toto, Uriah Heep, Joe Walsh, War, Steve Winwood, Warren Zevon.

And not on the list, but Living Colour. A definite bias against alternative and hard rock bands in favor of artists with very questionable "rock" credentials.

America, Bad Company, Boston, Phil Collins, Devo, Foreigner, Frampton, Billy Idol, Iron Madien, Iggy Pop, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Styx, Three Dog Night, Tool

add Alice in Chains

but its not a rock and roll hall of fame, its now a music hall of fame so they should just rename it

then a bunch of guys should just start a new rock and roll hall of fame for rock artists....of course wouldnt be long before there is an invasion of that hall too..wash rinse repeat

I think Cher should get in because she is a cultural icon. Mariah Carey no....Mary J Blige no...I mean when you put people like Diana Ross in its because she transcended music into iconic status. Thats why Im okay with Madonna/Diana Ross. I dont see that with Mary J Blige or Mariah Carey. The movement for the latter is strictly to start moving toward diversity and having pop and hip/hop take over from here on.

To exclude New Order and Iron Maiden is criminal

I think Cher should get in because she is a cultural icon. Mariah Carey no....Mary J Blige no...I mean when you put people like Diana Ross in its because she transcended music into iconic status. Thats why Im okay with Madonna/Diana Ross. I dont see that with Mary J Blige or Mariah Carey. The movement for the latter is strictly to start moving toward diversity and having pop and hip/hop take over from here on.

To exclude New Order and Iron Maiden is criminal
Donna Summer is in, and have no problem with her being in. Same for Kool and the Gang. But as @RUGuitarMan intimated, then the definitions get fuzzy and you get blurred lines. Speaking of which, Robin Thicke should be in for that video he made for that song alone. Even though he lost a copyright infringement suit for that song.

What's galling as a hard rock fan is the hall letting in popular acts that have minimal rock "credentials" while glaringly leaving out all of the artists listed above.

I have a bigger problem with Lenny Kravitz, who has like 3 known songs and 1 is a cover.

lenny kravitiz is certainly a very good artist, have some of his stuff, is he hall of fame worthy,...imo no. But again I think Def Leppard should not have got in.

I know Kool and the Gang had a funk period earlier in the 70s that was very good before their more commerical stuff like Joannna but do not think they should get in but I love their songs Too Hot and Ladies Night and Celebration was my favorite song in 1981

lenny kravitiz is certainly a very good artist, have some of his stuff, is he hall of fame worthy,...imo no. But again I think Def Leppard should not have got in.

I know Kool and the Gang had a funk period earlier in the 70s that was very good before their more commerical stuff like Joannna but do not think they should get in but I love their songs Too Hot and Ladies Night and Celebration was my favorite song in 1981
I don't agree on Def Leppard. They have sold over 100 million records. They owned the radio and MTV airwaves in the 1980s into the 1990s. One of the early British "metal" bands that made it in America, although as Beavis and Butt-Head would say, they started making wuss music after Pyromania. On Through the Night, High and Dry and Pyromania are three solid albums.

Reactions: famousbill19
I don't agree on Def Leppard. They have sold over 100 million records. They owned the radio and MTV airwaves in the 1980s into the 1990s. One of the early British "metal" bands that made it in America, although as Beavis and Butt-Head would say, they started making wuss music after Pyromania. On Through the Night, High and Dry and Pyromania are three solid albums.
Foreigner can make the same claim 10 years earlier

A long time ago the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame became nothing but a joke. Half of the people in it are not rock and roll. Dolly Parton ? Rap artists ? Pop divas ? They know what rock and roll is. They just don't give a crap about it. They should have changed the name long ago to The Popular Music Hall of Fame. Unfortunately "rock and roll" has a certain image that they wanna hold onto.
Bogus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT