ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

If success is the only measure, The Killers are a shoo in just for Mr Brightside. That song has been in the top 100 on the UK charts for 250+ weeks over the past 10 years or so

well I am waiting for Yanni or Enya's invite or Kylie Minogue as well

I think Kate Bush should be in because she is one of the most innovated female artists in history and she influenced a ton of female artists BUT ultimately her lack of success and popularity here in the USA is a factor in keeping her out...I would say the same for PJ Harvey, These artists certainly have a solid following here but not engrained in the culture and I think that should be a prerequisite., I think Annie Lennox is a no brainer for the Hall of Fame.

I get why influencers get invited but this one seems a bit obscure.

But I do have an issue with just picking popular stuff too. With the addition of groups like Journey and Def Leppard, I think we are starting to water things down by just picking popular artists. Thats why I scratch my head at Jay Z, not only is he not in the genre but its almost based solely on popularity. A guy like LL did it before him when hip hop and rap was not mainstream. He was the first solo artist to break into the pop world in a climate where rock centered artists were still dominating the landscape.

I think electronic music is woefully underrepresented. I like Depeche Mode got in. We need New Order and Kraftwerk next
Daft Punk as well

Reactions: Scarlet1984
What did Pat Benatar do the Hall of Fame that they won’t nominate her

She was nominated last year but not inducted. Anyone know how the nominations work? Is there a rule that states you can't be nominated two years in a row? Otherwise, why do the nominees in any particular year not include those who were nominated but fell short the previous year?

The nominees:

• Mary J. Blige
  • Kate Bush
  • Devo
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Go-Go’s
  • Iron Maiden
  • Jay-Z
  • Chaka Khan
  • Carole King
  • Fela Kuti
  • LL Cool J
  • New York Dolls
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Tina Turner
  • Dionne Warwick

I'm trying to figure out what more than half of them have to do with Rock 'N' Roll.
Absolutely nothing with actual Rock and Roll. Distinctions should be by category : Rap: Soul: Motown: Contemporary: ( Warwick) Rock which includes most others : Chaka Khan in the HOF is a stretch a big stretch. Talent yes but Rick n Roll no. IMHO.

She was nominated last year but not inducted. Anyone know how the nominations work? Is there a rule that states you can't be nominated two years in a row? Otherwise, why do the nominees in any particular year not include those who were nominated but fell short the previous year?
yes we all know how the HOF of Rock n Roll works.

Fela Kuti was a Nigerian bandleader, composer and political activist. What that has to do with qualifying for the Rock n Roll HOF is comical and sad... but it is 2021 you know.

I like what Levon Helm said in “The Last Waltz” They asked him what he called all the cross overs between county, blues, Motown and jazz, his answer was Rock N Roll!
I have no problem with a rap and r&b being included in the Rock N Roll HOF
Rap and Motown yes... Fela Kuti ? Now that is a big stretch.

Forget why, in God's green earth, Pat Benatar hasn't been inducted .
Or ( a compelling question) if Fela Kuti is Rock & Roll
I demand to know why ( the fabulous) Herbert Butros Khaury hasn't been nominated.

Forget why, in God's green earth, Pat Benatar hasn't been inducted .
Or ( a compelling question) if Fela Kuti is Rock & Roll
I demand to know why ( the fabulous) Herbert Butros Khaury hasn't been nominated.
Or for that matter, what about Boutros Boutros Ghali, one of the all time great names.

Or for that matter, what about Boutros Boutros Ghali, one of the all time great names.
don't know about BBG's qualifications for entrance ( member of the Mummies or Pyramids ?) , but there shouldn't be even a tiny tip toe around HBK's flowery singing that makes him HOF material

Give me a song in the top 100 that was on US charts . That’s all that really matters even today.

The nominees:

• Mary J. Blige
  • Kate Bush
  • Devo
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Go-Go’s
  • Iron Maiden
  • Jay-Z
  • Chaka Khan
  • Carole King
  • Fela Kuti
  • LL Cool J
  • New York Dolls
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Tina Turner
  • Dionne Warwick

I'm trying to figure out what more than half of them have to do with Rock 'N' Roll.

What? I hear Dionne Warwick could thrash a guitar!

I like what Levon Helm said in “The Last Waltz” They asked him what he called all the cross overs between county, blues, Motown and jazz, his answer was Rock N Roll!
I have no problem with a rap and r&b being included in the Rock N Roll HOF

Of course not but let's name it a little more accurately. Music Hall of Fame maybe?

• Mary J. Blige - Not yet...but very close
  • Kate Bush - no
  • Devo - Surprised they are not in already.
  • Foo Fighters - someone said it...Grohl yes but Foo Fighters never a game changer
  • The Go-Go’s - almost but not quite
  • Iron Maiden - Has to be
  • Jay-Z - F him...don't like him at all
  • Chaka Khan - No brainer
  • Carole King - hmmmmm very very close but I have to think about it so.....
  • Fela Kuti - ???
  • LL Cool J - Of course...one of the pioneers of MTV with Michael, Van Halen etc
  • New York Dolls - nah
  • Rage Against the Machine - oh so close
  • Todd Rundgren - yes
  • Tina Turner - As a Solo...she should be IN...there will never be another
  • Dionne Warwick - Yes

If PB isn't in...just shut the place down.

Stevie, Pat, Debbie, Joan - Sorry to all the others but when you start the convo about R&R and female performers...You START with these four

If PB isn't in...just shut the place down.

Stevie, Pat, Debbie, Joan - Sorry to all the others but when you start the convo about R&R and female performers...You START with these four
Yeah the list of notable omissions is endless. How are Judas Priest and Iron Maiden still not in?

The nominees:

• Mary J. Blige
  • Kate Bush
  • Devo
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Go-Go’s
  • Iron Maiden
  • Jay-Z
  • Chaka Khan
  • Carole King
  • Fela Kuti
  • LL Cool J
  • New York Dolls
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Tina Turner
  • Dionne Warwick

Including Jay-Z and the rest of this crowd over Todd is a crime against humanity.

Todd's got more musical talent than these hip- hop gum drop oh so hard rock wannbees.

Maybe Dion too cause she had David and Burt but when she sang your ears didn't hurt. Foo Fighters over Carol not on your life or your wife or another sharp object not your mind but a knife that can cut out the crap
that let's most of these acts perform in the Hall of Shame ... but what's in a name eh "N....".

MO

Last edited:
Reactions: RC1978
Including Jay-Z and the rest of this crowd over Todd is a crime against humanity.
Todd's got more musical talent than these hip- hop gum drop oh so hard rock wannbees.
Maybe Dion too cause she had David and Burt but when she sang your ears didn't hurt. Foo Fighters over Carol not on your life or your wife or another sharp object not your mind but a knife that can cut out the crap that let's most of these acts perform in the Hall of Shame ... but what's in a name eh "N....".

MO
So- you like Todd??? Not sure if that was clear. lol

Reactions: RutgersMO
So- you like Todd??? Not sure if that was clear. lol

I watched a video on Jay-Z "The Story of OJ". The song and video presentation were??? non PC if you're not black. And if he cut out the "N" word it might have been the shortest song of all time...next to Stay bu Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs Killers,.. and it was a thrilla throughout the USA from Malibu to Watts, from straight outta Compton to what else you got!

IMO "Hello It's Me" is one of his worst songs....take that OJ if I did it and you own it and were
poned for it and the jury phoned it in...cause the gloves did fit before the blood shrunk them you mutha
f'ing dumb 💩's... and he ain't black, as Jay-Z said, "he's OJ": Hello It's Me!

MO

Last edited:
I watched a video on Jay-Z "The Story of OJ". The song and video presentation were??? non PC if you're not black. And if he cut out the "N" word it might have been the shortest song of all time...next to Stay bu Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs Killers,.. and it was a thrilla throughout the USA from Malibu to Watts, from straight outta Compton to what else you got!

IMO "Hello It's Me" is one of his worst songs....take that OJ if I did it and you own it and were
poned for it and the jury phoned it in...cause the gloves did fit before the blood shrunk them you mutha
f'ing dumb 💩's... and he ain't black, as Jay-Z said, "he's OJ": Hello It's Me!

MO
So- you are saying you don't like JayZ- wasn't sure? lol

Reactions: RutgersMO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT