ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Notorious B.I.G. is rock n' roll. Gangsta rap is rock n' roll. It's rebellious. It's dirty. It rages against the system. It speaks to those who are lost or angry or just wanna party. It pisses off parents. It's every bit as rock n' roll as punk or metal or Led Zeppelin. Real rock n' roll.

I don't get how people can't see that.

And Whitney?

good list....... not rock-n-roll per se (that has been covered ad nauseam here in past)....... I'm no Whitney or NIN fan... but Depeche Mode, The Doobie Brothers, The Notorious B.I.G. and T-Rex are solid in my book

Question... is Metal music? Just asking, cause Ozzie, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Slayer are absolute legends in their field and have influenced countless artists over 4 decades and a full catalog of music. I get Sabbath finally got in, but EVERY metal artist lists Ozzie as an influence and his solo catalog in some ways is as popular as his legacy band.

But we at the Hall don't get or like Metal music.

Depeche Mode and Whitney deserve to be there.

RRHOF has always been weak with anything outside the sort of music that climaxed with 70s Arena Rock. This why the Moody Blues (and, now, the Doobie Brothers--get ready for REO Speedwagon in 2021) are in, while the MC5, Jimmy Cliff, Buzzcocks, Kraftwerk, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy (solo, but particularly with Randy Rhoads), Joy Division, The GoGo's, The Smiths, Curtis Blow, Dead Kennedys, Motley Crue, Tracy Chapman, The Pixies, Tribe Called Quest, Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine, amongst many others, are always on the outside, looking-in.

Iim a fan of the doobie bros going back to their guest appearance on What's Happening but Whitney had a much more powerful influence on music and culture than anyone on this list. I don't get why people can't get past the R&R name and accept other styles of music. from the actual hall website: Honoring bands or solo artists which demonstrate musical excellence. Such a descriptor includes (but isn't limited to) influence on other performers or genres; length and depth of career and catalog; stylistic innovations; or superior technique and skills.
The like is for the Doobie Brothers and the What's Happening episode where Rog shoves the tape recorder down his pants. Classic!

Reactions: Section124
RRHOF has always been weak with anything outside the sort of music that climaxed with 70s Arena Rock. This why the Moody Blues (and, now, the Doobie Brothers--get ready for REO Speedwagon in 2021) are in, while the MC5, Jimmy Cliff, Buzzcocks, Kraftwerk, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy (solo, but particularly with Randy Rhoads), Joy Division, The GoGo's, The Smiths, Curtis Blow, Dead Kennedys, Motley Crue, Tracy Chapman, The Pixies, Tribe Called Quest, Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine, amongst many others, are always on the outside, looking-in.

Best post in thread. As we can see from this thread, the majority of mostly white, middle aged or older guys, who are a huge proportion of this board, simply want more of the same, i.e., more classic rock bands, and they really don't want to expand their horizons much beyond that. I like the big tent the RRHOF has been building over the years, as I like seeing hip-hop and pop artists getting in, especially since regular old missionary "rock and roll" ain't what it used to be with regard to popularity.

If it were up to me, the Doobies would not get in (fine band, but not HOF worthy to me), but I applaud the NIN and Depeche Mode inductions and absolutely see Whitney getting in (and all her music wasn't just pop). And while I like more hip-hop artists getting in, to me NBIG simply didn't do enough to get in, even though he was influential. I'm on the fence on T. Rex, but US popularity shouldn't be an absolute must (which is why I think bands like the Smiths, Buzzcocks and other popular UK bands should be in), so I'm ok with it. I probably would've picked Pat Benatar and Judas Priest over the Doobies and NBIG. I also think Soundgarden and DMB are deserving, but can wait a bit.

Reactions: chrisru99
Eventually they will induct everybody, so they might as well induct the still living so they can play at the ceremony. Whitney and other dead people to the back of the line

thanks for the clarity...I won't let the like go to my head since you only like part of my comment. lol
The like is for the Doobie Brothers and the What's Happening episode where Rog shoves the tape recorder down his pants. Classic!

Jimmy Buffett

Worst group ever

So they say fu to Benetar Matthews and Soundgarden with the fan vote which just became irrelevant and meaningless and why....because they need to put in 2 artists who dont belong but will make the optics of being inclusive look good

Sorry but Notorious BIG and Whitney dont belong
I think they are trying to make up for the Oscar snubs.

Reactions: bac2therac
I like when the guy gets arrested at the end and he says something like, "And all I have to show for it is a tape of a fat kid eating popcorn."

Reactions: RUtom
I think it's a crime that Britney Spears has not even been nominated yet. And what about Weird Al Yankovic?

Notorious BIG over Pat Benatar/Neil Giraldo, Soundgarden, Motorhead and Judas Priest:

giphy.gif

Notorious BIG...lol. What the hell does he have to with Rock & Roll?....Or Whitney Houston for that matter? I can live with Whitney since she had one of the best voices ever and was a top "pop" star, but Notorious BIG is just pandering to pressure. Pat Benatar has one of the best female or male rock voices ever and she had tons of hits and owned the 80's at one point. The whole thing is a sham.

I like when the guy gets arrested at the end and he says something like, "And all I have to show for it is a tape of a fat kid eating popcorn."

If i remember correctly, that was a two-parter. I actually like the Doobies ("which doobie you be?" is classic) but they sure could not act..They made Mabel King seem like Meryl Streep.

If i remember correctly, that was a two-parter. I actually like the Doobies ("which doobie you be?" is classic) but they sure could not act..They made Mabel King seem like Meryl Streep.
Yeah, the Doobies had trouble making their "shock" convincing after finding the tape recorder in that scene. Mabel King was underrated. She was the glue that held everything together.

There was a brief time in the late 80's when I thought Depeche Mode was the greatest band of all time. That lasted about three months. I was more of a New Order fan and remain so.

Another great band that doesn't even get consideration is the Guess Who.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT