• Moody Blues
  • Radiohead
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Nina Simone
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/rock-hall-induction-nominees-2018-analysis/...pretty good analysis here

Listen some of these names do not even belong on the list. I do not even know Link Wray, The Meters., Sister Rosetta Tharpe or MC5. Rufus..come on. Nina Simone...this is rock and roll. I think she is going to get in as some politically correct move to include black artists who do not fit the genre. Its more of a pop culture music thing than rock and roll anymore

Bon Jovi should not be inducted. A big part is influence....like with Journey, I fail to see the influence there. Middle of the road no risk corporate rock should not be rewarded like that.

Kate Bush...maybe some day..very influential. Huge in homeland of Britain and Europe but not so much here save for Running Up That Hill which is an incredible song. She has influenced a lot of female artists like Tori Amos and Florence and the Machine but think that probably doesnt belong in the American rock and roll HOF

Depeche Mode....way ahead of their time and hugely influential. I will vote them in but can see why voters might not put them in

Eurythmics..most definitely. Annie Lennox big big impact on music and the group itself were pioneers of new wave and video...lots of artists influenced by them.

Radiohead are probably getting in, such a critics darling but I really think they are overrated.

Moody Blues might be the longevity artist to get in this year...certainly before the Zombies who would seem easy to discard

Rage Against The Machine...fusion of metal and rap/hip hop with a message if they do not get in this year its coming soon

LL Cool J...well rappers do get in because its not rock. He was one of the first to cross over into the mainstream so he has a shot if not this year soon.

J Geils Band...lots of posters want them in but I do not see. Same for the Cars..solid bands but hall of fame worthy not so much.

Dire Straits..no way.

Judas Priest...definitely intriguing and influential but are they really worthy

So If I had to pick 5.....

Eurythmics
Depeche Mode
Rage Against The Machine
Moody Blues
Radiohead

will get in but shouldn't...Nina Simone

Reactions: Section124
This should be fun....

• Bon Jovi
  • Kate Bush
  • The Cars
  • Depeche Mode
  • Dire Straits
  • Eurythmics
  • J. Geils Band
  • Judas Priest
  • LL Cool J
  • MC5
  • The Meters
  • Moody Blues
  • Radiohead
  • Nina Simone
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/rock-hall-induction-nominees-2018-analysis/...pretty good analysis here

Listen some of these names do not even belong on the list. I do not even know Link Wray, The Meters., Sister Rosetta Tharpe or MC5. Rufus..come on. Nina Simone...this is rock and roll. I think she is going to get in as some politically correct move to include black artists who do not fit the genre. Its more of a pop culture music thing than rock and roll anymore

Bon Jovi should not be inducted. A big part is influence....like with Journey, I fail to see the influence there. Middle of the road no risk corporate rock should not be rewarded like that.

Kate Bush...maybe some day..very influential. Huge in homeland of Britain and Europe but not so much here save for Running Up That Hill which is an incredible song. She has influenced a lot of female artists like Tori Amos and Florence and the Machine but think that probably doesnt belong in the American rock and roll HOF

Depeche Mode....way ahead of their time and hugely influential. I will vote them in but can see why voters might not put them in

Eurythmics..most definitely. Annie Lennox big big impact on music and the group itself were pioneers of new wave and video...lots of artists influenced by them.

Radiohead are probably getting in, such a critics darling but I really think they are overrated.

Moody Blues might be the longevity artist to get in this year...certainly before the Zombies who would seem easy to discard

Rage Against The Machine...fusion of metal and rap/hip hop with a message if they do not get in this year its coming soon

LL Cool J...well rappers do get in because its not rock. He was one of the first to cross over into the mainstream so he has a shot if not this year soon.

J Geils Band...lots of posters want them in but I do not see. Same for the Cars..solid bands but hall of fame worthy not so much.

Dire Straits..no way.

Eurythmics
Depeche Mode
Rage Against The Machine
Moody Blues
Radiohead

Lots of reaches on that list.

Reactions: bac2therac
This should be fun....

• Bon Jovi
  • Kate Bush
  • The Cars
  • Depeche Mode
  • Dire Straits
  • Eurythmics
  • J. Geils Band
  • Judas Priest
  • LL Cool J
  • MC5
  • The Meters
  • Moody Blues
  • Radiohead
  • Nina Simone
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

Dire Straits..no way.

Eurythmics
Depeche Mode
Rage Against The Machine
Moody Blues
Radiohead

Don’t know MC5 ??? Do yourself a favor then, and get a copy of Kick Out The Jams. It rocks loud and hard

One of the problems here is defining rock and roll. Nina Simone was clearly blues and soul, and if you don't think of that as part of rock and roll, then she shouldn't be in. If you look at whom she influenced who is clearly rock and roll, then you can make the case for her.

I really like Nina Simone, but she would be a fringe pick for me. Not because she is not in the category; I just don't think she produced enough really impactful stuff to be in. But I do love listening to her. And of course, she was big in the Civil Rights and anti-war movements, which may cause some to oppose her.

The Moody Blues?! I would rather listen to Neil Diamond.

Nah. I just can't stand Neil Diamond. But that Moody Blues drone is like sitting in the dentist's chair in super slow motion.

One of the problems here is defining rock and roll. Nina Simone was clearly blues and soul, and if you don't think of that as part of rock and roll, then she shouldn't be in. If you look at whom she influenced who is clearly rock and roll, then you can make the case for her.

I really like Nina Simone, but she would be a fringe pick for me. Not because she is not in the category; I just don't think she produced enough really impactful stuff to be in. But I do love listening to her. And of course, she was big in the Civil Rights and anti-war movements, which may cause some to oppose her.

Nah. I just can't stand Neil Diamond. But that Moody Blues drone is like sitting in the dentist's chair in super slow motion.
Nina Who?

This should be fun....

• Bon Jovi
  • Kate Bush
  • The Cars
  • Depeche Mode
  • Dire Straits
  • Eurythmics
  • J. Geils Band
  • Judas Priest
  • LL Cool J
  • MC5
  • The Meters
  • Moody Blues
  • Radiohead
  • Nina Simone
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

Dire Straits..no way.

Eurythmics
Depeche Mode
Rage Against The Machine
Moody Blues
Radiohead

Cool. We can have our annual fight over your shitty music taste.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You're living in the 80's and 90's, except for Moody Blues. MC5 was hugely influential, and so were the Cars.

My thoughts/votes:
  • Bon Jovi--Bwa ha, ha, ha. Never
  • Kate Bush--Not this time
  • The Cars---Yes
  • Depeche Mode--not this time
  • Dire Straits--Yes as 6th vote or J. Geils
  • Eurythmics-not this time
  • J. Geils Band--Yes as 6th vote or Dire Straits
  • Judas Priest---Yes, most definitely. Should have happened years ago.
  • LL Cool J--not this time
  • MC5--Yes
  • The Meters--Who? no
  • The Moody Blues- Yes, definitely
  • Radiohead--Yes
  • Rage Against the Machine--not this time, even though a big favorites
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan--No, but they will get in
  • Nina Simone--No. Who?--she will get in.
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe--No. Who?
  • Link Wray--Maybe another time
  • The Zombies--Maybe another time

People need to accept that the R&R Hall of Fame is now the defacto music hall of fame.

Reactions: scarletschuyler
Respectfully disagree.
Output has been mediocre to poor since OK Computer. Please make a case.

I kind of agree. They are definitely a media darling, so will for sure. I feel like they have 4-5 phenomenal songs and then a bunch of stuff thats difficult to listen to.

That said, I think we are finally seeing the result of music sucking for the last 20 years......its really slim pickin's at this point.

Feeding off your list here are my thoughts:
  • Bon Jovi Would never have guessed it years ago, but compared to some of these other acts - maybe.
  • Kate Bush No
  • The Cars Good studio band with lots of hits, terrible in concert. Maybe based on the number of hits.
  • Depeche Mode No
  • Dire Straits I was never a fan of them, but I can see it based on how their viewed.
  • Eurythmics No
  • J. Geils Band Lots of hits, I could see them making it
  • Judas Priest Wouldn't mind this, but I doubt they will get in
  • LL Cool J No
  • MC5 No
  • The Meters No idea who they are, no.
  • The Moody Blues Think they are over rated but I could see them getting in over anyone on this list based on reputation
  • Radiohead Think they are limited, but have a core of great songs like Drama Police, Creep, High and Dry. Will get in.
  • Rage Against the Machine I bet they will get in, based on the lead singers anti-police sentiment, it would play into the politics of it. Can't deny that their music is phenomenal regardless of the politics.
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan Thought Chaka Khan was already in, I don't see this.
  • Nina Simone No
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe No idea who this is. No.
  • Link Wray No idea who this is no.
  • The Zombies Solid, but HoF? No.

Cool. We can have our annual fight over your shitty music taste.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You're living in the 80's and 90's, except for Moody Blues. MC5 was hugely influential, and so were the Cars.

My thoughts/votes:
  • Bon Jovi--Bwa ha, ha, ha. Never
  • Kate Bush--Not this time
  • The Cars---Yes
  • Depeche Mode--not this time
  • Dire Straits--Yes as 6th vote or J. Geils
  • Eurythmics-not this time
  • J. Geils Band--Yes as 6th vote or Dire Straits
  • Judas Priest---Yes, most definitely. Should have happened years ago.
  • LL Cool J--not this time
  • MC5--Yes
  • The Meters--Who? no
  • The Moody Blues- Yes, definitely
  • Radiohead--Yes
  • Rage Against the Machine--not this time, even though a big favorites
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan--No, but they will get in
  • Nina Simone--No. Who?--she will get in.
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe--No. Who?
  • Link Wray--Maybe another time
  • The Zombies--Maybe another time

lol...how can you not have Eurythmics in...a total slam dunk...way more influential than the Cars....Dire Straits..lmfao gimme a break....J Geils Band..lol.

I cannot wait until the Bon Jovi fans come rolling in the thread

Who will get in:

Bon Jovi
LL Cool J
Nina Simone
Radiohead
The Cars

(or replace one with Depeche Mode)

Who should get in:

Depeche Mode
Judas Priest
Nina Simone
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine

(or replace one with The Cars)

lol...how can you not have Eurythmics in...a total slam dunk...way more influential than the Cars....Dire Straits..lmfao gimme a break....J Geils Band..lol.

I cannot wait until the Bon Jovi fans come rolling in the thread
Eurythmics? A couple of pop hits by a studio producer and a singer with a red crew cut? Is that rock and roll? Not sure who in ROCK AND ROLL they influenced or whether it is or should be a category. If influence matters then Link Wray or MC5 had a helluva lot more influence on people that actually played instruments in rock bands whether some on here have ever heard of them or not. And no way in hell do they belong anywhere near a hall of fame either.

Is that the deal? 5 a year? If so, in no particular order:

1. The Moody Blues
  2. Bon Jovi
  3. The Cars
  4. Judas Priest
  5. Dire Straits
As long as this is still the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I will play... just going to list the 5 that will get in....not goin* to go into why...this isn’t 5he list of who should get in....
Bon Jovi
The Cars
J Geils
Judas Priest
Dire Straits

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I will play... just going to list the 5 that will get in....not goin* to go into why...this isn’t 5he list of who should get in....
Bon Jovi
The Cars
J Geils
Judas Priest
Dire Straits
This will likely be the list of those getting in. People can whine about Bon Jovi all they want, but his success is hard to deny.

Any famous band or singer not in the HOF that should be there? It seems like everyone who had music played on radio makes it.

Why are people so down on Dire Straits? Knopfler is pretty bad ass on the guitar.

As far as influence nominee's like Tharpe, Simone, or Wray, I have to leave that to historians. I'm not against the idea though. I assume Robert Johnson is in, and he's not exactly a Rock God.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It is a disgrace that it took this long for Judas Priest to even get a chance for a vote.

No one else on that list have influence more bands and entire music genres.

Plus we need more Metal in the Rock and Roll HOF.

Any famous band or singer not in the HOF that should be there? It seems like everyone who had music played on radio makes it.

Stevie Nicks is in with Fleetwood Mac but she should be in as a solo artist because she has become iconic and her influence is enormous on female artists. One of the very few pure rock and roll women out there. Yes I would put her above Janis and Grace Slick

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Eurythmics? A couple of pop hits by a studio producer and a singer with a red crew cut? Is that rock and roll? Not sure who in ROCK AND ROLL they influenced or whether it is or should be a category. If influence matters then Link Wray or MC5 had a helluva lot more influence on people that actually played instruments in rock bands whether some on here have ever heard of them or not. And no way in hell do they belong anywhere near a hall of fame either.

Is that the deal? 5 a year? If so, in no particular order:

1. The Moody Blues
  2. Bon Jovi
  3. The Cars
  4. Judas Priest
  5. Dire Straits
As long as this is still the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

studio band....lmfao you are kidding me. Annie Lennox is probably the most respected artists in the last 30 years by the critics and industry. Her work with Eurythmics and as a solo artist and her use of video to portray characters and being a chameleon probably rates right up there with Madonna. Stewart also went on to produce acts like Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks. I can see that you totally dismiss the new wave era. The use of synths blended in with pop/rock sensibilities and a soulful voice that really hasnt been eclipsed since. She is your female equivalent of David Bowie. She used her looks and sexuality in such an unconventional way pushing boundaries

Their masterpiece is Here Comes The Rain Again but if you want rock and roll then Would I Lie To You qualifies

studio band....lmfao you are kidding me. Annie Lennox is probably the most respected artists in the last 30 years by the critics and industry. Her work with Eurythmics and as a solo artist and her use of video to portray characters and being a chameleon probably rates right up there with Madonna. Stewart also went on to produce acts like Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks. I can see that you totally dismiss the new wave era. The use of synths blended in with pop/rock sensibilities and a soulful voice that really hasnt been eclipsed since. She is your female equivalent of David Bowie. She used her looks and sexuality in such an unconventional way pushing boundaries

Their masterpiece is Here Comes The Rain Again but if you want rock and roll then Would I Lie To You qualifies

We support your lifestyle choice!

Reactions: bac2therac
I thought the Cars would get in last year. Hope this is their year. Would love to see Judas Priest get in but I doubt they will. I saw them in concert three times in the early 80s. Wow I’m old.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT