ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Just like Bon Jovi. (cough, cough, cough).

Bon Jovi only influenced the Bon Jovi kid let's not delude ourselves here lol.

I am old enough to remember being in the height of the grunge and Metallica Black album days and MTV just completely murdering Bon Jovi every time he got brought up. Then somehow a decade later everything started turning and he was no longer a joke for some reason and I still don't know why this change in opinion happened.

Reactions: Knight Shift
who did they influence exactly....Good Charlotte? Rock Music basically died after the horrible crash of crap in the late 90s/early 00s

Yes they did influence Good Charlotte. I don't know why we're assigning 'quality' as an attribute for getting into the hall. They influenced a ton of bands. Jimmy Eat World, Sum 41, All American Rejects, etc. etc. etc., pop punk was utterly gigantic from 1997-2006 and they were the band that influenced the most groups during that time.

I don't care what you think of the quality of the band or whatever, when you're the band that influences a decade's worth of the most popular rock music, you have a really good case to be in the Hall someday.

lets see...from wikipedia it says Blink sold 13 million records in the US and 50 million worldwide

for comparison sake, the Cranberries sold 17 million records in the US and 41 million worldwide

AOC sold 14 million records in the US and 30 million worldwide

STP sold 17.5 million records in the US and 40 million worldwide

Smashing Pumpkins who I think should be in the hall of fame sold 30 million worldwide

should we compare Britney Spears record sales....70 million US 150 million worldwide

Reactions: Knight Shift
The HOF wanted nothing to do with them because they were not a pop band. It took a massive fan campaign that lasted years (it seems like it forever, like over a decade) of non-stop pressure before the HOF finally caved in and said ok. It was a long running joke that Rush wasn't in the HOF, an outrageous oversight.
That was one of the more egregious oversights.

Yes they did influence Good Charlotte. I don't know why we're assigning 'quality' as an attribute for getting into the hall. They influenced a ton of bands. Jimmy Eat World, Sum 41, All American Rejects, etc. etc. etc., pop punk was utterly gigantic from 1997-2006 and they were the band that influenced the most groups during that time.

I don't care what you think of the quality of the band or whatever, when you're the band that influences a decade's worth of the most popular rock music, you have a really good case to be in the Hall someday.

I think you are giving the genre of pop punk too much credit in the world of music

if The Cure just got in last year and Depeche Mode might finally get in this year, they are just opening up to 80s influence on electronic music...a group like Blink has a long way to go.

Reactions: RUScrew85
lets see...from wikipedia it says Blink sold 13 million records in the US and 50 million worldwide

for comparison sake, the Cranberries sold 17 million records in the US and 41 million worldwide

AOC sold 14 million records in the US and 30 million worldwide

STP sold 17.5 million records in the US and 40 million worldwide

Smashing Pumpkins who I think should be in the hall of fame sold 30 million worldwide

should we compare Britney Spears record sales....70 million US 150 million worldwide
That bartender who became a member of Congress sold 14 million records? Did you mean AIC?

so while I think the nomination of Notorious BIG is absurd, eventually he will get in...thats unfortunate but expect more of that in the future...Jay Z, Puff Daddy Beyonce, Lady GaGa,,,they just stop the hall of fame now and create a pop culture one for the future because the lines are blurred already

Green Day is already in as are some of the big grunge acts, so 90s acts aren't off limits. The Hall is also entering a phase where they're desperate to get attention.

And it's not just sales, you know? Sales, influence, and staying power. I really don't know what you can come up with outside of subjective biases against pop-punk to keep them out.

The Pumpkins should be in as well, huge alternative band, influenced a lot of other acts, and Tonight Tonight is still one of the best videos ever.

That was one of the more egregious oversights.

Rush is my favorite band ever (probably weird for a 33 year old to say), and man that made me so happy to see them get in. Geddy Lee is the reason I play bass.

Wow. That list looks like T. Rex and everybody else. No one on that list was more innovative than Marc Bolan. One of, if not the most influential Glam artists, a genre David Bowie spent quite a bit of time dabbling in.
If only musicians voted for the HOF, T. Rex would have been in a long time ago.

16 Nominees on the ballot:
  • Pat Benatar -- Absolutely, and Neil Geraldo is listed too.
  • Dave Matthews Band--Not yet
  • Depeche Mode--Maybe
  • The Doobie Brothers--Definitely--why are they not in yet?
  • Whitney Houston--Not rock, but she will get in.
  • Judas Priest--It is a crime they are not in yet
  • Kraftwerk--No
  • MC5--100% yes
  • Motörhead--Another crime they are not in yet
  • Nine Inch Nails-- Yes, please
  • The Notorious B.I.G.--Umm, no way
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan- will get in, but others more deserving
  • Todd Rundgren--Should have been in already
  • Soundgarden--Yes, please
  • T. Rex--Should have been in a long time ago
  • Thin Lizzy--Shocked they are not in yet.

What is required to make the Hall? Is there a limit on the number inductees / year?

IMO only:
Benata
Doobies
Houston
T-Rex and of COURSE
Todd Runt Rundgren

MO

What is the Rock and Roll HOF? I assume all artists getting in should have played Rock and/or Roll, right? If this is the Music HOF, then it is a very different conversation.

It's more the pop music hall of fame. Nothing particularly RnR about it.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Whitney Houston?
Donna Summer?
Madonna?
James Taylor?
Abba?
Miles Davis?
Grand Master Flash?

If all them then JB belongs...

Yeah tell me about all that Whitney Houston Rock and Roll.

Incredible voice and a pop HOF first ballot. RnR HOF? LOL, no.

My guess is the name is as it is to attract a wider audience.

ok, i will bite. here is her resume:

Four-time Grammy Award winner.
She has two RIAA-certified multi-platinum albums, five platinum albums, three gold albums, and 15 Billboard Top 40 singles

What more do you want?

And she actually sang Rock and Roll.

Pat Benatar should be in.

The Bon Jovi critics are comical. They belong in.

Remember how all rock critics hated Journey. Put their song on The Sopranos and The OC and all of a sudden they are a media darling. Smh.

Green Day is already in as are some of the big grunge acts, so 90s acts aren't off limits. The Hall is also entering a phase where they're desperate to get attention.

And it's not just sales, you know? Sales, influence, and staying power. I really don't know what you can come up with outside of subjective biases against pop-punk to keep them out.

The Pumpkins should be in as well, huge alternative band, influenced a lot of other acts, and Tonight Tonight is still one of the best videos ever.

Rush is my favorite band ever (probably weird for a 33 year old to say), and man that made me so happy to see them get in. Geddy Lee is the reason I play bass.
Not that weird. I've seen Rush 4 times. The first time at 17 and the last time at 40. The last time I saw them on the 30th anniversary tour, there were families in the audience. That's a band with seriously loyal fans.

Not that weird. I've seen Rush 4 times. The first time at 17 and the last time at 40. The last time I saw them on the 30th anniversary tour, there were families in the audience. That's a band with seriously loyal fans.

Last time I saw them was Atlantic City for the Clockwork Angels tour. We went on the boardwalk after and some crappy dive bar was play Rush tunes and a ton of people were there and this one guy was buying free drinks for anyone who could name whatever song was playing at the time lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT