ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees for 2018

Numb3rs, I never said they weren't punk. My argument is that they aren't worth listening to, in whatever genre they played. Maybe Boulevard is a bad choice for some reason, but it's one of their biggest hits. Now, even Mick Jagger and David Bowie once made an excrutiatingly (sp?) awful video, so I guess everybody gets one big miss, but you have to admit that that was hilariously bad.

As to the video you linked, it kind of proves my point. Tedious music punctuated with fried adolescent boys jumping off the stage into an audience exclusively made up of other fried adolescent boys. I'm an educator. I see enough of that already.

I can believe that you caught all of punk. Why you would have wanted to is what I don't understand. What I was saying was that I was there for rock and roll.

So Dookie is the 17th best punk album?! Wow! That's like being the 17th best eyebrow threading parlor. Who cares? And btw, you dropped your mic.

haha the Bowie/Jagger remake may be the worst song of all time

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Actually, I said they were the confluence of bubble gum and punk. I think that's a fair assessment of them as a band overall. Here is what John Lydon once said about them: "So there we are fending off all that and it pisses me off that years later a wank outfit like Green Day hop in and nick all that and attach it to themselves. They didn't earn their wings to do that and if they were true punk they wouldn't look anything like they do."

But I've been trying to give Green Day another chance. Just watched the first ten minutes of their Woodstock performance in 94. Also watching some Ramones clips. It's not working for me. (Especially Green Day.) So here's the deal. Send me to some youtube stuff that is what you really like. I'm serious. I will give it a serious shot. One of the things I write about in aesthetics is the need to overcome biases and give art you don't like a real shot. And sorry to have been snooty. Whenever I get in a ragging battle with t2k, I tend to go overboard and some of it landed on you. Bad move on my part. I apologize. You're one of the board's best contributors. (But I do know a lot about rock and stand by my assessments; I'm just from a slightly different era. Saw lots of the greats in the late 60's early 70's including some incredibly good groups that never got much recognition.)

Johnny Rotten is obviously punk royalty, but he is also a well established whiner of the first order, so forgive me if I don't give his comments much credence. I could trot out countless quotes from "punks" glorifying Green Day's early years, but think the links I provided before touting Green Day's albums as top punk albums of all-time are enough. It's not an argument. Green Day were punk in their early years.

If you want to call them bubblegum in later years, have at it. As I said above, I actually have no issue if you don't like them or punk, in general. You're not alone and I have no desire to try to "convince" you or anyone else that their music is great - it's too subjective of a topic for that. Basically, the video I posted captured the essence of Green Day's early punk years, both from a music and energy/scene perspective. That video was pure punk and representative of the best Green Day has to offer and you clearly thought it was tedious crap - which is ok.

With regard to being snooty, don't sweat it (but thanks for the props - and right back at ya!) - I was being combative and I know how T can get under anyone's skin. IMO, we're done on this topic, but I will post a follow-up on Elvis later. We also disagree on him and his place in R&R history.

Bubble gum? I just realized that it is a serious crime that The Archies aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Apology accepted. I know you can't control yourself at times.
:)
I think you have me confused with someone else. Nobody apologized to you. You're still Green Day Boy with the aesthetic sensitivities of a multiply-face-pierced 17 year old. Numb3rs, on the other hand, is a completely rational human being with a deep knowledge of rock and roll. I couldn't disagree more with on punk rock, which I consider to be a cul-de-sac on the rock and roll highway, but that's what makes horse races.

And I'm going to take some time and see if I can't find the value in punk rock. It's happened to me before. For example, I am now a big fan of Jackson Pollock (he's a painter, t) whereas I couldn't figure him out for decades. Same with Kasimir Malevich. Sometimes you just gotta give it time, and most people don't. The average time spent looking at a masterpiece in either the Met or the Art Institute is 27 seconds. Go figure.

Bubble gum? I just realized that it is a serious crime that The Archies aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Sugar Sugar was written for the Monkees. The band turned it down. Turned out to be the best selling song of the year. I think it out sold Hey Jude

Sugar Sugar was written for the Monkees. The band turned it down. Turned out to be the best selling song of the year. I think it out sold Hey Jude
Correction. It was biggest selling song of 1969

I think you have me confused with someone else. Nobody apologized to you. You're still Green Day Boy with the aesthetic sensitivities of a multiply-face-pierced 17 year old. Numb3rs, on the other hand, is a completely rational human being with a deep knowledge of rock and roll. I couldn't disagree more with on punk rock, which I consider to be a cul-de-sac on the rock and roll highway, but that's what makes horse races.

And I'm going to take some time and see if I can't find the value in punk rock. It's happened to me before. For example, I am now a big fan of Jackson Pollock (he's a painter, t) whereas I couldn't figure him out for decades. Same with Kasimir Malevich. Sometimes you just gotta give it time, and most people don't. The average time spent looking at a masterpiece in either the Met or the Art Institute is 27 seconds. Go figure.

Nicely said. Funny you mentioned Pollock. I'm a moderately big fan of art, but certainly no expert. However, before I even knew who Pollock was, I was in the Met ~30 years ago and came across a couple of his huge drip paintings and was completely mesmerized. I sat on one of those benches for several minutes just marveling at the "controlled fury" of his work. But it took me years to appreciate Monet, for example.

Nicely said. Funny you mentioned Pollock. I'm a moderately big fan of art, but certainly no expert. However, before I even knew who Pollock was, I was in the Met ~30 years ago and came across a couple of his huge drip paintings and was completely mesmerized. I sat on one of those benches for several minutes just marveling at the "controlled fury" of his work. But it took me years to appreciate Monet, for example.

Theodore Gericault:

5hkj634h3jk6h.png

Pollock? I don't like it either, rather bland and tasteless. I prefer halibut or barramundi for a white fish.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
That was refuted by the songwriter.
Correction. It was biggest selling song of 1969
Which is why they deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Interesting as most people are taken by Monet immediately, but some never like Pollock. However, Pollock would very much fit with an affinity for punk rock (so maybe there's hope for me). Pollock was a weird dude, btw. I'm working on a book of despicable people who were great artists, and he may make the cut!

However, before I even knew who Pollock was, I was in the Met ~30 years ago and came across a couple of his huge drip paintings and was completely mesmerized.

Rhythm, pattern, fugues (all kinds) lend themselves to hypnotic/trance experiences with a certain kind of concentration (and you never want to be "mesmerized" by anything if you can help it). These can do the same thing...

WzD52RM.jpg

PgZAAm8.jpg

qd7hock.gif

Interesting as most people are taken by Monet immediately, but some never like Pollock. However, Pollock would very much fit with an affinity for punk rock (so maybe there's hope for me). Pollock was a weird dude, btw. I'm working on a book of despicable people who were great artists, and he may make the cut!
FYI, the little one adores art. Going to Philly Art soon. Her school has a huge focus on art, music, theater/drama. Amazing place.

And yes, Monet and most impressionists are an instant hit.

FYI, the little one adores art. Going to Philly Art soon. Her school has a huge focus on art, music, theater/drama. Amazing place.

And yes, Monet and most impressionists are an instant hit.
Did a lot of work with Philly back when Anne D'Harnencourt (sp?) was director. They had a great group back then. I love the crucifixion dyptich. It looks like it was finished yesterday. Also have a theory on Duchamp's urinal.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion on music, but I am somewhat with @SkilletHead2 here on this one. I am a big fan of Black Flag and Bad Brains, and in my humble opinion, Green Day is a pop band compared to genuine punk bands like Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Ramones, etc. It's a tough line to walk being a punk (or a metal) band, because once a band becomes moderately successful, they get labeled a sellout. I have the Dookie album, but I don't think I have played it within 2 years of its release.

These things are always subjective, of course, but keep in mind, me and Skillet are right here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It may have to do with various listeners' ages. If you were 12 years old when Dookie debuted, then it is understandable if you thought "wow, this is punk!". But if you had already been listening to the bands you mentioned along with The Stooges, the NY Dolls, Buzzcocks, The Saints, The Wipers, etc etc, then you probably wouldn't think that Green Day was anything special.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sun Records Elvis was great. It went downhill from 1960 on after he joined the army.

He went from stuff like "Money Honey," "Baby Let's Play House," and "That's all Right Mama" to "Clambake," "Queenie Wahine's Papaya," and who could forget his rendition of "Old McDonald had a Farm" in 1967's Double Trouble. That was 1967! One of the greatest years for music and he was singing that. Sad. Colonel Parker did him no favors.

You're Right, I'm Left, She's Gone is a favorite from that era of pre draft Elvis.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The average time spent looking at a masterpiece in either the Met or the Art Institute is 27 seconds. Go figure.

That's easy.. some art will appeal to some people and they will spend more time with that piece.. otherwise.. "masterpieces" that don't appeal to you are just road bumps to go find the stuff you like.

How many "masterpieces" are in the Met?

The great MET website has a search feature that tells me there are 53,370 pieces of art on display of their total collection of over 450,000 pieces. No idea if borrowed or travelling collections are part of this.

Lets just guess that 5% of those are "masterpieces".. that means that 2,668 of the paces on display are "masterpieces". Not counting the time to walk from one to another, eat, drink, visit bathrooms.. it would take 20 hours to spend 27 seconds on each of those.

Suppose it was only 1% are masterpieces.. it would take 4 hours (again, if you did nothing else and moved instantaneously between pieces).

So, given that not everyone is a fan of a style of art or a particular "masterpiece" and the MET is so large with so much to offer, this is not surprising.

Then you have to look at it from a number of visitors standpoint and people that can fit in a room in front of a masterpiece. They saw over 7 million visitors over 365 days last year.. that's just over 19K a day. If we go for that 1% are masterpieces figure.. then that's 533 masterpieces. That's 36 people per masterpiece... hmm.. oh.. that is eminently doable.

But I have no idea where the 27 seconds comes from.. I know Skillet would know. He probably counted it as part of his work there. Lets say the Mona Lisa toured and you had to handle those 19K people filing by it every day. In practice it would be more on some days. It is open 10-5:30.. 7.5 hours... 27,000 seconds... that's 1.4 seconds per visitor.

So it is an odd thing to think about.. 27 seconds per masterpiece.

Here's an odd thing I noticed about paintings that I was drawn to. They make me "dizzy".. not actually dizzy.. but my eye is drawn to so much of it that it moves around and around. That crosses many genres.. some Pollocks did it.. many Van Goghs.. he is my favorite. Mondrians do it.. a lot do it... to me that separates good composition from bad.. pretty simple.. but just because the composition is good and it is well done doesn't mean I'd like it or want to spend a lot of time with it.

To take that to the extreme.. this does it in spades.. but is it a masterpiece? I know I wouldn't want to spend even 27 seconds on it
Jen-Stark-692x360.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ivan brunetti
When I go to the MET I go to focus on one or two sections, I can take 20 minutes studying at one painting/

I do see some people walking past stuff like a bat out of hell. I mean, I don't get it, if that person doesn't like art, why are they even there?

When I go to the MET I go to focus on one or two sections, I can take 20 minutes studying at one painting/

I do see some people walking past stuff like a bat out of hell. I mean, I don't get it, if that person doesn't like art, why are they even there?
Do you choose that painting randomly? Do you check your watch to make sure you spent 20 minutes? Do you spend zero seconds walking past masterpieces on your way to the one you want to spend 20 minutes with?

To each, his own... maybe those people are just going for a walk in a museum.. maybe they are "shopping" for a painting to study.

This whole topic makes me feel like this...
1493661482_27_iconic-artists-who-have-immortalized-themselves-through-famous-self-portraits.jpg

Do you choose that painting randomly? Do you check your watch to make sure you spent 20 minutes? Do you spend zero seconds walking past masterpieces on your way to the one you want to spend 20 minutes with?

To each, his own... maybe those people are just going for a walk in a museum.. maybe they are "shopping" for a painting to study.

This whole topic makes me feel like this...
1493661482_27_iconic-artists-who-have-immortalized-themselves-through-famous-self-portraits.jpg

Each section is like it's own museum so you walk the halls to get to that section.

Completely off topic.

I once saw Rick Steves at the Galileo Museum in Florence. He was basically speed walking through the place.

Okay then.. what about In The Ghetto?

I think we're talking at cross purposes Good. A rock-a-billy gazillionaire singing about the Get-Toe (pronunciation was awful) is grating.

Here is where I think Elvis was at this best: Don't Be Cruel, Can't Help Falling in Love, Blue Suede Shoes. I still enjoy those songs. Because Elvis had an amazingly good voice, and when he just sang love songs or songs where he didn't take himself seriously, he was at his best. BTW, he didn't write any of them. He got credit for a few, but that was because the Colonel leaned on the song writer to give Elvis writing credit. Why? Because then Colonel Tom got a cut!

And as I said, I like Elvis. He was bigger than life. If you compare him in terms of stature and status, there are few in his league. The Beatles, The Stones, Sinatra, Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Elton John? And maybe, in terms of overall fame and popularity, it's down to Sinatra, The Beatles, and Elvis. And maybe Michael Jackson.

That's easy.. some art will appeal to some people and they will spend more time with that piece.. otherwise.. "masterpieces" that don't appeal to you are just road bumps to go find the stuff you like.

How many "masterpieces" are in the Met?

The great MET website has a search feature that tells me there are 53,370 pieces of art on display of their total collection of over 450,000 pieces. No idea if borrowed or travelling collections are part of this.

Lets just guess that 5% of those are "masterpieces".. that means that 2,668 of the paces on display are "masterpieces". Not counting the time to walk from one to another, eat, drink, visit bathrooms.. it would take 20 hours to spend 27 seconds on each of those.

Suppose it was only 1% are masterpieces.. it would take 4 hours (again, if you did nothing else and moved instantaneously between pieces).

So, given that not everyone is a fan of a style of art or a particular "masterpiece" and the MET is so large with so much to offer, this is not surprising.

Then you have to look at it from a number of visitors standpoint and people that can fit in a room in front of a masterpiece. They saw over 7 million visitors over 365 days last year.. that's just over 19K a day. If we go for that 1% are masterpieces figure.. then that's 533 masterpieces. That's 36 people per masterpiece... hmm.. oh.. that is eminently doable.

But I have no idea where the 27 seconds comes from.. I know Skillet would know. He probably counted it as part of his work there. Lets say the Mona Lisa toured and you had to handle those 19K people filing by it every day. In practice it would be more on some days. It is open 10-5:30.. 7.5 hours... 27,000 seconds... that's 1.4 seconds per visitor.

So it is an odd thing to think about.. 27 seconds per masterpiece.

Here's an odd thing I noticed about paintings that I was drawn to. They make me "dizzy".. not actually dizzy.. but my eye is drawn to so much of it that it moves around and around. That crosses many genres.. some Pollocks did it.. many Van Goghs.. he is my favorite. Mondrians do it.. a lot do it... to me that separates good composition from bad.. pretty simple.. but just because the composition is good and it is well done doesn't mean I'd like it or want to spend a lot of time with it.

To take that to the extreme.. this does it in spades.. but is it a masterpiece? I know I wouldn't want to spend even 27 seconds on it
Jen-Stark-692x360.jpg
Actually, I did count them! First at the Met, and much more recently at the Art Institute of Chicago. I don't know how to link a pdf file, but if anyone can show me, I'd be happy to link our publications on the topic. I could link to the journal on the latter one, but I think it's behind a paywall. The former publication is a book chapter.

The mean time is 27 seconds (27.2 in the first study, 28.63 in the second), and the median is closer to 17 seconds, and the mode is 10 seconds. That's actually more representative of the typical viewer stop. We have observed over 1000 individuals looking at art and have found no one who spent as much as five minutes on a single work.

In the second study, we found that over 1/3 of the individuals took selfies with the art (we call them arties), most of whom did not look at the works except to take the selfie.

The Met actually has over 2 million separately accessioned works of art (travelling exhibitions are not counted unless they are in the Met's permanent collection). I'm not sure how many are on display. On the 2 million, you should understand that if a piece of Egyptian pottery is broken into 50 shards, each one of them is counted separately. Still, the Met has just a ton of art.

As to where you look, there is a lot of research done on that, much of it by really good friends of mine. Eye movement cameras have really progressed in the past couple of decades, so this is much easier research to do now. Turns out that experts and novices really differ in how they look. In one study I took part in, a painting of nudes by Matisse was used. Now, everybody in the study knows that their eyes are being tracked. The experts look right at the naughty bits. The novices look "just off" the naughty bits. It appears that they don't want to be caught looking. If you want to see that phenomenon on steroids, go the the Musee d'Orsay and check out: L'Origine du monde by Courbet. It's a riot to watch people not want to get caught looking at it.

Sorry to ramble on. I study two very different areas intensively, and this is one of them!

The mean time is 27 seconds (27.2 in the first study, 28.63 in the second), and the median is closer to 17 seconds, and the mode is 10 seconds. That's actually more representative of the typical viewer stop. We have observed over 1000 individuals looking at art and have found no one who spent as much as five minutes on a single work.
Have you catalogued how many of them picked their nose or scratched their butt while they were observing a work of art?

Have you catalogued how many of them picked their nose or scratched their butt while they were observing a work of art?
Not yet. I've been looking at people look at art for over a quarter of a century, and have never really seen anybody do anything hilarious. No exposing of private parts, no pda's between couples, and I can't remember anybody picking their noses. I have seen massive pretentiousness. And once, at a Delacroix exhibition, I saw about eight people looking at a poster for the exhibition. They were discussing the work depicted in the poster, having quite a deep conversation. The shop was in a hallway (little temporary shop just for the exhibition). Had the group turned 180 degrees, they would have been looking at the actual work instead of a reproduction.

But over 7 million people a year go to the Met, and at a major exhibition, over half a billion dollars can come into the City by people who came to the city to see the exhibition. (We've done that research as well.) Not only are art museums important in the development of a civilized society (yep), they are important engines of economic growth. So trying to understand viewing patterns, desires, uses and consequences, etc., is a worthwhile activity in my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT