ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees for 2018

Off the top left of my head here are some worse songs....Macarena, Shake It Off, Ice Ice Baby, Don't Worry Be Happy, I've Never Been To Me

Disagree...its a fun song that a bunch of snooty writers found cool to bash

How often do 4Real, T and I agree on something? No snooty writers here - most people simply don't like the song. If you do that's fine, but don't try to pretend it's only a few critics who don't.

thats great but it hit #1, its an easy song for people to pile on where the legend grows...but when it was out, people loved it

thats great but it hit #1, its an easy song for people to pile on where the legend grows...but when it was out, people loved it

You're arguing with at least two people who were grown adults when it came it and we hated it when it came out, so despite it being a #1 hit, not everyone loved it. And it's no coincidence that the song has made the top of many "worst song" lists over the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Built_This_City

Heard on terrestrial radio a DJ going on about Boston not being considered for the Hall Of Fame. Gotta agree with him.

Heard on terrestrial radio a DJ going on about Boston not being considered for the Hall Of Fame. Gotta agree with him.

Boston is an interesting case study for the RRHOF. They had one album that broke all kinds of new ground and was immensely popular and was, in a feat rare for modern-era recorded music, start to finish good. Their follow-up was derivative and unmemorable. So do you let them in based on 1 huge success? Is that the bar?

Its just like all the people who say now in revisionist history how bad We Built This City was....actually i like the song and so did everyone back in 1985 as it topped the charts
That's one of the worst songs ever written and it was when it came out - no need for revisionist history. .
There were far worse songs than that, gotta agree with bac on this one.

Reactions: bac2therac
Moody Blues were big when i was in college.

over 70 mil records sold, and more impressive, played major venues as headliners for at least 3 decades.

one of the big head scratchers how they weren't inducted a long time ago. (seems to be a RRHOF bias against the more progressive bands).

long overdue, with many acts with resumes absolutely dwarfed by the Moodys already in.

Timothy Leary would approve.

I definitely don't think Green Day is overrated. They embodied the punk/garage band vibe in the early/mid 90's and while Dookie wasn't deep or complex, they matured as they grew up and produced one of the greatest rock albums of the generation (American Idiot). GD has been my favorite band for almost 20 years, their music grew and as I did. And they put on one hell of a show:
Sad. Green Day. The confluence of punk and bubble gum. More derivative than a calculus text. Chacun....

Why are people so down on Dire Straits? Knopfler is pretty bad ass on the guitar.

As far as influence nominee's like Tharpe, Simone, or Wray, I have to leave that to historians. I'm not against the idea though. I assume Robert Johnson is in, and he's not exactly a Rock God.

no doubt Dire Straits would be in, and would have played big arenas for another 20 yrs, had Knopfler not left.

still should be in without a doubt.

held the biggest selling CD ever title for a while.

over 100 mil total records sold.

Sultans and Brothers In Arms alone should get them in, and Tunnel of Love live has as great an extended guitar solo and finale' as a song can have.

Reactions: RutgHoops
no doubt Dire Straits would be in, and would have played big arenas for another 20 yrs, had Knopfler not left.

still should be in without a doubt.

held the biggest selling CD ever title for a while.

over 100 mil total records sold.

Sultans and Brothers In Arms alone should get them in, and Tunnel of Love live has as great an extended guitar solo and finale' as a song can have.

Dire Straits made 4 very good albums and 2 great albums

Dire Straits made 4 very good albums and 2 great albums

my greatest live extended guitar solos, in no particular order, are Stairway To Heaven, the Song Remains The Same version at MSG, Comfortably Numb, Pulse version, Sultans Of Swing, Alchemy version, Dire Straits Tunnel of Love, Wembley 85, which i posted above, Brothers In Arms, Mandela live version, Runnin Down A Dream, take your pick.

that Knopfler has 3 of those, (and i maybe should have included Local Hero as well), is impressive.

2 great albums?

for studio albums, i'll go with Making Movies as their best, but Brothers In Arms was the biggest selling CD ever in it's day, and the title song is rock greatness. Brothers was the great song here, but the rest of the album didn't stack up to Making Movies or Love Over Gold.

Love Over Gold i have to consider great as well.

that said, Alchemy was the maybe the best live album ever made when it came out, and that was pre the song Brothers In Arms.

the interesting thing about Alchemy, is that it's "as recorded live", no redos or touch ups or digital fixes.

this is the performance of Sultans Of Swing that's on Alchemy iirc. as recorded live, no fixes, pretty impressive. (go to the 6 min 50 second mark for guitar greatness).

Reactions: UMRU
lol...how can you not have Eurythmics in...a total slam dunk...way more influential than the Cars....Dire Straits..lmfao gimme a break....J Geils Band..lol.

I cannot wait until the Bon Jovi fans come rolling in the thread

Making Movies by Dire Straights is an all time great , not to mention Sultans of Swing. I'm guessing the only song you know is Money for Nothing.

studio band....lmfao you are kidding me. Annie Lennox is probably the most respected artists in the last 30 years by the critics and industry. Her work with Eurythmics and as a solo artist and her use of video to portray characters and being a chameleon probably rates right up there with Madonna. Stewart also went on to produce acts like Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks. I can see that you totally dismiss the new wave era. The use of synths blended in with pop/rock sensibilities and a soulful voice that really hasnt been eclipsed since. She is your female equivalent of David Bowie. She used her looks and sexuality in such an unconventional way pushing boundaries

Their masterpiece is Here Comes The Rain Again but if you want rock and roll then Would I Lie To You qualifies

:
This guy's got an 8:30 rez at Dorsia. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Making Movies by Dire Straights is an all time great , not to mention Sultans of Swing. I'm guessing the only song you know is Money for Nothing.

and you would be wrong.

anyhow it looks like this is generational, the older guys on the board gravitate more towards 60s and 70s and the younger guys 70s to 90s

they are not going to put in all the older bands so between the Cars, Moody Blues and Dire Straits, the latter is the odd man out

Its just like all the people who say now in revisionist history how bad We Built This City was....actually i like the song and so did everyone back in 1985 as it topped the charts

lol. That song sucked in 1985 as much as it sucks today. An embarrassing effort from the members of a formerly groundbreaking band.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Sad. Green Day. The confluence of punk and bubble gum. More derivative than a calculus text. Chacun....

You're way off base on this one, my friend. Green Day were absolutely punk when they came out, having plugged away for years in the Berkeley/Oakland DIY punk scene. Their 2nd album, Kerplunk, presaged their success with the worldwide smash Dookie in 1994 - saw that tour at the Stone Pony just as "Longview" the huge first single was breaking and they were electrifying, live.

It's always hard to know why some bands make it big and some don't, but these guys certainly worked for it and made great punk with enough melody to be enjoyed by the masses. Thought their next several albums were very good and American Idiot was brilliant. Haven't followed them as closely since then, but they absolutely deserved to be a first ballot inductee.

Boston is an interesting case study for the RRHOF. They had one album that broke all kinds of new ground and was immensely popular and was, in a feat rare for modern-era recorded music, start to finish good. Their follow-up was derivative and unmemorable. So do you let them in based on 1 huge success? Is that the bar?

First album was great, then not so much after that. No way should they get in.

Agreed. I like quite a bit of pop and there's not a lot of distance between the Go-Gos big hits and "Shake It Off."

"Shake it Off" and "We Built This City" should be locked in a cage and forced to fight to the death.

Calling someone a Nickelback fan is perhaps the biggest insult that you can dish out to anyone who cares at all about music.

That Disturb cover is terrible, they clearly have no idea what the lyrics are about. It reminds me of all of those horrific lame covers of good songs I keep hearing during movie and video game commercials... someone please stop that trend.

You're way off base on this one, my friend. Green Day were absolutely punk when they came out, having plugged away for years in the Berkeley/Oakland DIY punk scene. Their 2nd album, Kerplunk, presaged their success with the worldwide smash Dookie in 1994 - saw that tour at the Stone Pony just as "Longview" the huge first single was breaking and they were electrifying, live.

It's always hard to know why some bands make it big and some don't, but these guys certainly worked for it and made great punk with enough melody to be enjoyed by the masses. Thought their next several albums were very good and American Idiot was brilliant. Haven't followed them as closely since then, but they absolutely deserved to be a first ballot inductee.
Sorry, Numb3rs. Couldn't disagree more. You stated it yourself, "melody to be enjoyed by the masses." Derivative bubble gum punk. Nice bad boy band. Been that way for a quarter of a century. I guess you can like the "Oh boy, it's got a hard edge, but I can still sing along," formula, but they just seem as phony as a three dollar bill to me. I have them in the John Cougar Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, Elvis, Bread category of those who knew how to cash in.

Hey, more power to them. They've lasted a long time and sold a ton of records. Of course, Justin Bieber has sold a ton of records.

Calling someone a Nickelback fan is perhaps the biggest insult that you can dish out to anyone who cares at all about music.

That Disturb cover is terrible, they clearly have no idea what the lyrics are about. It reminds me of all of those horrific lame covers of good songs I keep hearing during movie and video game commercials... someone please stop that trend.
"Shake it Off" and "We Built This City" should be locked in a cage and forced to fight to the death.

Grace for the win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT