ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So I've been getting threatening emails in one of my accounts

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
Here is the text of it, it varies from email to email. They list the name on the email account plus a very old, weak password from, oh, maybe 8-10 years ago, back when passwords could be 5-6 digits long with no requirements for case or numbers or odd characters. The account name and the password are in the subject line.

Subject: <account.name> : <password>
Body:
I know, <password>, is your password.

I need your total attention for the coming 24 hours, or I will certainly make sure you that you live out of guilt for the rest of your lifetime.

Hi, you do not know me. Yet I know all the things regarding you. All of your facebook contact list, mobile phone contacts plus all the virtual activity in your computer from previous 117 days.

And this includes, your masturbation video clips, which brings me to the primary reason why I am composing this e-mail to you.

Well the last time you visited the sexually graphic websites, my spyware was triggered inside your computer system which ended up documenting a eye-catching video of your self pleasure play simply by triggering your web camera.
(you got a incredibly odd taste btw haha)

I have the complete recording. If you feel I 'm playing around, simply reply proof and I will be forwarding the recording randomly to 12 people you're friends with.

It could be your friend, co workers, boss, mother and father (I don't know! My software program will randomly select the contact details).

Would you be capable to gaze into anyone's eyes again after it? I doubt it...

However, it does not need to be that route.

I would like to make you a 1 time, non negotiable offer.

Get $ 2000 in bitcoin and send it on the listed below address:

bc1***ql6wdxnrvduddudq4p6zveuv7fcrwj2ruvhk826
[CASE-SENSITIVE copy and paste it, and remove *** from it]

(If you do not understand how, lookup how to purchase bitcoin. Do not waste my important time)

If you send out this 'donation' (let us call this that?). After that, I will vanish and under no circumstances make contact with you again. I will erase everything I have concerning you. You may proceed living your current regular day to day lifestyle with absolutely no concerns.

You've 24 hours to do so. Your time begins as soon you read through this mail. I have an special code that will alert me once you go through this email so do not try to play smart.
It's so pathetically crude that it's actually funny. But it does make me wonder how they got that old password.

Reactions: bac2therac
Here is the text of it, it varies from email to email. They list the name on the email account plus a very old, weak password from, oh, maybe 8-10 years ago, back when passwords could be 5-6 digits long with no requirements for case or numbers or odd characters. The account name and the password are in the subject line.

It's so pathetically crude that it's actually funny. But it does make me wonder how they got that old password.

Are you calling their bluff?

It’s says don’t play smart lol

I got the same email about a year ago. I called my IT guy who said just ignore and delete it. It's a phishing expedition.

My colleague got a physical mail saying the same thing but they were asking for bitcoin.

Is it someone from the board?

Reactions: Spare130
I got the same email twice in the past week demanding $1900 in bitcoin. I just deleted them.

I got this email once. It was particularly amusing since there is no camera on my PC and I don't have a facebook account. As far as them guessing your password, like you said if it was only 5-6 characters hackers have algorithms to figure it out.

Same email twice in the last week. Old password from years ago. Likely from one one of the large data breaches.

Reactions: miketd1

Getting the old password is very simple. Program is for sale on the dark web. Costs less than $20 a month to purchase. All they need is an email or domain to use. plus it in and they get about 5 years of old history. A lot of the old passwords come from the linkedin hack in 2016. As a security company, we have access to that and a whole lot more. We just can't use it unless your company hires us.
Where it can be dangerous is based on two human factors, we are lazy and predictable.
So, we all now have to manage and remember no less than 6-10 passwords. Most of us many many more. And yes, work may require you to change it every 6 months. But then you have at least 3 other work apps that also have passwords and they may not be on the same schedule to change.
So, maybe the first couple of times you change your password, you use very unique passwords.But after a few months of having to do this process for up to 5 different passwords at work and the mult times you forgot it and had to go through the process to change it...lazy and predictable comes into play.
You cant repeat a password so at some point, you will go back to that old yahoo password or maybe close to it but you changed it up. It takes a bad guy mere minutes to go through all of this if they have a handful of old passwords in their back pocket.
Now, here is something for many people...you know what the badguys try first on almost everyone right now. something that may include covid or corona in it...and for a number 19 and 2020

Reactions: BLewis1968

My buddy had something like this when he moved into his new house. Apparently he was having an affair on his wife and some guy had all the dirt. All he wanted was 8k to keep quiet. Problem is my buddy isn’t married. He had some fun with the guy. Made him spin his wheels.

Reactions: Spare130 and Jm0513

Spanky1, Spanky2, Spanky3......Did I get all 3?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I received similar emails with an old LinkedIn password referenced.

This site can tell you if your info has been compromised:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Have I Been Pwned? (HIBP, with "Pwned" pronounced like "poned,"[2]and alternatively written with the capitalization 'have i been pwned?') is a website that allows internet users to check whether their personal data has been compromised by data breaches. The service collects and analyzes hundreds of database dumps and pastes containing information about billions of leaked accounts, and allows users to search for their own information by entering their username or email address.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_I_Been_Pwned?

got a few of those last year, except instead of saying masterbation videos, they said it was videos of me pleasuring myself...haha

I got a text from some unknown number (fake) that said they were part of a drug cartel and if I didn't send them money ASAP I would be their next target. Then pictures of severed heads lined up of Mexicans/Columbians (?) came in the next several texts. I sent them a text I would meet them with all the money I had at the corner of 161st and River Ave in the Bronx to give them the money. Blues Brothers trick. Hope the liked the Yankee game!! Blocked their number and that was that! :Laughing

First stop punching the clown in front of your computer.
Second wash your sticky hands.
Third put tape on the computer camera.
Fourth delete the email.

Dear Scam Person,
I routinely send my masturbation videos to all of my friends and acquaintances.

Better luck next time!

Even better:

Dear Scam Person,

I routinely send my masturbation videos to all of my friends and acquaintances. If you can pass that along to everyone else on the internet I would greatly appreciate it.

Better luck next time!

Signed,
D.B. Cooper

Last edited:
Even better:

Dear Scam Person,

I routinely send my masturbation videos to all of my friends and acquaintances. If you can pass that along to everyone else on the internet I would greatly appreciate it.

Better luck next time!

Signed,
Bleem Phuppert

That doesn't sound like something Bleem would say...

OP email sounds like a book I just finished "The Chain" It was very good for anyone looking on a good book read these days:

You just dropped off your child at the bus stop. A panicked stranger calls your phone. Your child has been kidnapped, and the stranger explains that their child has also been kidnapped, by a completely different stranger. The only way to get your child back is to kidnap another child within 24 hours. Your child will be released only when the next victim's parents kidnap yet another child, and most importantly, the stranger explains, if you don't kidnap a child, or if the next parents don't kidnap a child, your child will be murdered. You are now part of The Chain.

Got one about a year ago and again last night. I did a little research and found it was on dark web from either LinkedIn or Adobe breach years ago. You probably recognized the password as an old one. As others indicate just delete. Don’t respond even to taunt them.

Same email twice in the last week. Old password from years ago. Likely from one one of the large data breaches.

I got two of these emails over the last 10 days

I had not heard of this scam before so I was concerned because the password they had, I had used for a thing or two, optimum eg
Was still active

Upon advice of a friend I contacted the police at that point and they were familiar with this scam, another town resident had also called the same day

I consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to phishing scams, but this one had me concerned at first due to the password

DJ, I checked my VCR. Nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT