ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So I've been getting threatening emails in one of my accounts

OP email sounds like a book I just finished "The Chain" It was very good for anyone looking on a good book read these days:

You just dropped off your child at the bus stop. A panicked stranger calls your phone. Your child has been kidnapped, and the stranger explains that their child has also been kidnapped, by a completely different stranger. The only way to get your child back is to kidnap another child within 24 hours. Your child will be released only when the next victim's parents kidnap yet another child, and most importantly, the stranger explains, if you don't kidnap a child, or if the next parents don't kidnap a child, your child will be murdered. You are now part of The Chain.
And if you don't love me now, you will never love me again. I can still hear you saying....

I got two of these emails over the last 10 days

I had not heard of this scam before so I was concerned because the password they had, I had used for a thing or two, optimum eg
Was still active

Upon advice of a friend I contacted the police at that point and they were familiar with this scam, another town resident had also called the same day

I consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to phishing scams, but this one had me concerned at first due to the password

I am guessing the cops got a good chuckle that you were panicked that your solo act might go viral, lol.

I am guessing the cops got a good chuckle that you were panicked that your solo act might go viral, lol.

They treated me with respect on the phone .... I reported it one afternoon and got a follow up call from the dept the next morning. They mainly called to let me know that there was another local complaint
As far as my "solo act". I think not. Lol

ThE camera on my computer has been blocked out. Anyway

A couple other things to help increase security is never use the same password for different programs that require passwords, and keep a piece of electrical tape over your cameras. I don't think a hacker accessing a pc camera is that common but since it was reported on the news, may as well cover it.
And yes those emails are fake.

I got the same email twice in the past week demanding $1900 in bitcoin. I just deleted them.
Same story here.

But the password they said they had is actually a password we use at work. So not my password, but a password on a computer I use.

Even better:

Dear Scam Person,

I routinely send my masturbation videos to all of my friends and acquaintances. If you can pass that along to everyone else on the internet I would greatly appreciate it. Better luck next time!

Signed,
D.B. Cooper

Heh-heh..... just got spammed this morning with something very similar.

But I'm wondering, I rarely get spammed on the email address it came in on. So was it phishing the universe or did "they" get my email address from my senders on my private senders list?

Here is the text of it, it varies from email to email. They list the name on the email account plus a very old, weak password from, oh, maybe 8-10 years ago, back when passwords could be 5-6 digits long with no requirements for case or numbers or odd characters. The account name and the password are in the subject line.

It's so pathetically crude that it's actually funny. But it does make me wonder how they got that old password.
8-10 years ago the e-mail account, think it's someone from your past you didn't see eye to eye with on Rutgers boards years ago.
Focus ( if you know what I'm implying) on a banned Rutgers Rival poster.

Either that or njo.com is trying another way to make money and using your old NJO.RU FB forum info to get you to contribute

Here is the text of it, it varies from email to email. They list the name on the email account plus a very old, weak password from, oh, maybe 8-10 years ago, back when passwords could be 5-6 digits long with no requirements for case or numbers or odd characters. The account name and the password are in the subject line.

It's so pathetically crude that it's actually funny. But it does make me wonder how they got that old password.

I got the exact threatening email yesterday...had my email address and listed my old Rutgers Rivals password of digits only from a few years ago.

So, the Rutgers Rivals database may have been breached.

A couple other things to help increase security is never use the same password for different programs that require passwords, and keep a piece of electrical tape over your cameras. I don't think a hacker accessing a pc camera is that common but since it was reported on the news, may as well cover it.
And yes those emails are fake.

the problem is, that over the years so many things require passwords, and I have one password that is used on about 50 sites....out of maybe 120....

that may sound like a lot, but we have things like ticketmaster, credit cards, you name it, everything needs passwords....

it would be tough to have 100 passwords for 100 sites...

I was just thankful that the password in the letter to me was only on one site....if they had this other one, I would be changing about 50

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT