ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Songs where the background singers shine and make the song

This is more of a duet, but I would put this down as one of my favorite songs of all time. There's a great story behind their relationship, too. If you're into either artist, and you take this song in a handful of times, it will burrow into your soul, guaranteed.

Elvis Costello was backup on Tempted by Squeeze
Squeeze (Chris Difford) returned the favor on From a Whisper to a Scream.

Fantastic show at the Barn with the two of them.... Feb 1981, I think.
Yes it was, two of my all-time favorite bands at one show - might be my all-time favorite show at RU. Good memory on the date...

pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
https://mediapunch.photoshelter.com/image/I00003kcWMmN2Mig

Reactions: rutger80
It's more of a duet so not sure if it fits exactky, but Kate Pierson of The B-52's absolutely takes over Iggy Pop's Candy.
Probably in my top 25 all-time favorite songs. Have played this back to back with REM's "Me In Honey," also featuring Kate Pierson, many times, as they fit together perfectly, IMO, both musically and lyrically (although Kate is much more of a "backup singer" on Me In Honey).

Eric Clapton one of the back-up singers along with Phil Spector, keyboard player Bobby Whitlock (and two others identified by Harrison as “Cyril” and “Betty”) on George Harrison's My Sweet Lord. As many probably know, Clapton would go onto marry Harrison's ex-wife Patty Boyd, the inspiration for Layla.

Speaking of Clapton, I'm surprised nobody posted his song "The Core" featuring great back up vocals (duet really) by Marcy Levy. I did not know that she went on to be half of Shakespear's Sister.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
The Style Council weren't that well known in the US and neither was Paul Weller's even more famous first band, the Jam (in the UK, they were almost as big as the Beatles), but the Style Council was known for having a number of talented singers who were kind of in the band and kind of not. Here are two songs from them. First one is one of the most upbeat fun songs you may have not ever heard, featuring DC Lee. Give it a listen.

The second one isn't backup singing at all really, but was a guest vocalist performance by Tracey Thorn, which launched her career, as she went on to some fame and fortune with Everything But the Girl in the 90s.

Reactions: rutger80
And this one should be in its own category, lol, as it's Andre 3000 from Outkast playing all the parts on the song and in the video, including the three backup singers, "The Love Haters." Great song, great video.

Carl Wilson / Al Jardine and Dennis Wilson sang backup on Wishing You Were Here. Carl also sang backup on Baby What a Big Surprise by Chicago and Beach Boys sang back up on Elton's "Don't let the Sun go down on me".

Peter Cetera's fantasy was to be a Beach Boy. I read it and Cetera actually said it during a concert of his about 5-10 years ago that I was fortunate to attend.
Close friend of mine is friends with Brian Wilson (he named his son after him....).

My friend, Bob Love...no relation to Mike, sang back up and arranged several songs I wrote in the 70's.

MO
PS Love the 3rd verse of Marc Cohn's Walking in Memphis....they help make the song a classic.

also suprised this not posted yet

included Luther Vandross but also Robin Clark....Clark would go on to provide memorable vocals for Simple Minds in the 80s on their hits Alive and Kicking where she really gets to shine in the latter part of the song and All the Things She Said where her vocals are prominent throughout

Bruce Willis scored his only top 10 hit...although basically the Pointer Sisters so dominated the song it should have been given credit for lead vocals and were the real reason it reached #5

Tom Petty Dont Come Around Here No More

Contrary to popular belief Stevie Nicks does not sing background at all but two singers who have been long time backup singers of Stevie, Marilyn Martin (of Phil Collins Seperate Lives duet fame) and Sharon Celani provide memorable vocals

Thats Lenny Kravitz who co wrote the song adding oohs and ahhs and other moans to Madonna's Justify My Love which was banned from MTV. I remember we were at RU in the apartment all excited to watch the video premiere on Nightline to see what the fuss was all about

Reactions: Jm0513
Zep's Battle of Evermore, featuring Sandy Denny from Fairport Convention...

Super back-up vocals by Sandy Denny on a great Zep song. I thought about it for this thread , but just couldn't give her the nod for "making the song". It's always been an example of how talented a singer Plant really was/is--not just a great rock voice imho. In the end I had to give Plant credit for carrying the vocals, plus the guitar work is awesome. Great lead and back-up vocals, great acoustics, great song. Yeh I can be a stickler when it comes to Zep. 😬

Last edited:
Does it count when you're so good and your band leader is a musical and production genius that you do your own backup singing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT