ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Sounds like Musk is going to sell BTC.probably a good idea given revenue will fall across the board in Q2.

Uh? Please explain that one to me. Earnings report or WSB? :)
Read where supply can’t keep up with demand near my second home in SC resulting very high pricing. Not sure this happening elsewhere. This will help revenue and the margins. But it’s more of a supply issue than demand, as the fleet of cars shrunk year over year. Earnings are not there, but future prospects might point to solid earnings down the road.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Read where supply can’t keep up with demand near my second home in SC resulting very high pricing. Not sure this happening elsewhere. This will help revenue and the margins. But it’s more of a supply issue than demand, as the fleet of cars shrunk year over year. Earnings are not there, but future prospects might point to solid earnings down the road.
Makes sense, but 40% is still quite a reach. Fun market week so far. LOL!

I'm reading Tesla won't accept BTC as payment.

Says they won't be selling their btc.
There is so much more to this story than we’ll probably ever know. For Musk to reverse course after the hype - and based on environmental concerns that have existed forever is bizarre to say the least. Not to mention great timing after he already booked a $100M gain on BTC sales last quarter.

There is so much more to this story than we’ll probably ever know. For Musk to reverse course after the hype - and based on environmental concerns that have existed forever is bizarre to say the least. Not to mention great timing after he already booked a $100M gain on BTC sales last quarter.
Like the CW talk from a month ago, this seems to be activist investing.

They believe in crypto but don't like the energy usage.

Meanwhile Tesla dabbles in energy production talk. So maybe that is the link. TSLA to start mining and being powered by their own solar panels.

Like the CW talk from a month ago, this seems to be activist investing.

They believe in crypto but don't like the energy usage.

Meanwhile Tesla dabbles in energy production talk. So maybe that is the link. TSLA to start mining and being powered by their own solar panels.
Tesla/Musk knew all about the energy usage issues before buying BTC. Hell, Tesla is in the energy usage business. And, I’m sure Tesla investor relations reviewed the activist investor angle. None of this makes sense. Obviously, Musk had to say they won’t sell BTC (even though he already did sell some for a $100M gain LOL) because if they sold their entire BTC portfolio it would suffer an epic drop.

So I was watching shark tank (moreso it was on in the back ground as I internet) and there was a company Chi'Lantro which had me thinking, "I'd throw money in on this", so I looked it up, and I don't if I can invest.

But then I went to Mr. Wonderful's "start engine" site, where you invest into startups.

And I came across these guys.

Shoe company that specializes in parkour and other such stuff. But the shoes look pretty cool, AND if you invest a modest amount you get a pair of shoes,(or if you invest more a couple pairs).

Given I do need some shoes I think I might give it a go.

Tesla/Musk knew all about the energy usage issues before buying BTC. Hell, Tesla is in the energy usage business. And, I’m sure Tesla investor relations reviewed the activist investor angle. None of this makes sense. Obviously, Musk had to say they won’t sell BTC (even though he already did sell some for a $100M gain LOL) because if they sold their entire BTC portfolio it would suffer an epic drop.
1)if Musk didn't believe in BTC, or crypto, what would he care if it tanked?

2)Sure they knew about the energy consumption, but first they get in, and then they do the activist thing.

2)Sure they knew about the energy consumption, but first they get in, and then they do the activist thing.

1) Of course He would care if it tanked because Tesla is holding $1.3B!
2) Unless Musk is a total idiot, he wouldn’t buy over a billion dollars worth of BTC to then “do the activist thing”

1) Of course He would care if it tanked because Tesla is holding $1.3B!
2) Unless Musk is a total idiot, he wouldn’t buy over a billion dollars worth of BTC to then “do the activist thing”
1)If the idea is, TSLA could not sell their BTC because then it would tank, why would Musk care, given he no longer holds any?

2)Plenty of activist investors buy first and then make demands later. I mean I'm kind of new to this, but I think that is how it works.

How much further down? Only small 4% down for S&P so far. Too late for me to buy Vixx.
My guess is that eventual downside can be up to 20%. There will be plenty of up days which would be the day to buy volatility VXX, UVXY, etc.

The answer - nobody knows, they just have guesses

Stick to the plan and keep buying.
Long term portfolio will not change. For the ones who don't work on wall street and are investing only for the 20 years (i.e. long term investors), any down turn in the market is noise and potentially a buying opportunity. But for the ones who work in wall street, volatility is a godsend. That is when I make huge amounts of money. My job is to figure out when the right time to buy near tern equities and when to sell. I don't just try to time sectors, but find individual equities within those sectors with most alpha. Our clients pay us handsomely to help them time the market and find the right equity. If I wasn't good at that, then I would be slaving away in corporate America.

Hertz up 40% today. Up over $5.

Owned it way back when.
There is a reason Hertz is in bankruptcy. No one should invest in Hertz unless they understand bankruptcy proceedings. Yes, car prices are high, but any money Hertz makes will go its creditors. Buying Hertz stock without understanding how money is distributed in bankruptcy proceeding will not work out well for you.

1)If the idea is, TSLA could not sell their BTC because then it would tank, why would Musk care, given he no longer holds any?

2)Plenty of activist investors buy first and then make demands later. I mean I'm kind of new to this, but I think that is how it works.
1) What do you mean “he no longer holds any?” As far as I know, Tesla still holds $1.3B of BTC.
2) Tesla is a company that exists to make car, solar, etc. with a fiduciary duty to shareholders. Tesla is not an activist investor.

1) What do you mean “he no longer holds any?” As far as I know, Tesla still holds $1.3B of BTC.
2) Tesla is a company that exists to make car, solar, etc. with a fiduciary duty to shareholders. Tesla is not an activist investor.
Here is another thought. A lot of funds are ESG based, they probably told him they could no longer hold Tesla if he doesn’t give up on BTC.

Reactions: RUAldo and RUDead

An activist needs a target (person or persons) that they can pressure. Hard to be an activists against a decentralized digital currency started by a mystery man.

Here is another thought. A lot of funds are ESG based, they probably told him they could no longer hold Tesla if he doesn’t give up on BTC.
You could be right. Although you’d hope that Musk vetted all that before buying over a billion in BTC and naming his CFO the “Master of Coin” in a SEC filing.

• Haha
Reactions: RUDead
Long term portfolio will not change. For the ones who don't work on wall street and are investing only for the 20 years (i.e. long term investors), any down turn in the market is noise and potentially a buying opportunity. But for the ones who work in wall street, volatility is a godsend. That is when I make huge amounts of money. My job is to figure out when the right time to buy near tern equities and when to sell. I don't just try to time sectors, but find individual equities within those sectors with most alpha. Our clients pay us handsomely to help them time the market and find the right equity. If I wasn't good at that, then I would be slaving away in corporate America.
+1 on long term portfolio, stick to the plan and keep buying. Even last spring was just noise.

As for timing the market, the vast majority of people are not good at it, as per decades and decades of data. Most on this board are FOS or only highlight the few times they get something right. It would be fun to have a thread where everyone talks about screwing up trying to time the market! LOL.

My guess is that eventual downside can be up to 20%. There will be plenty of up days which would be the day to buy volatility VXX, UVXY, etc.

Appears to be excessive but many of the stocks that I’m tracking haven’t hit their buy levels. Been selling my value, pharm, energy stocks to preserve my profits the last week and buying the risker tech stocks but still cash ready.

All a game similar to when I play poker, just have to calculate the odds and risk. I use to say that I have to take advantage of people emotion.

Last edited:
1)The "he no longer holds any" was proceeded by an "if", it was a hypothetical as to why if he sold, it wouldn't matter to him what BTC did afterward. It was in response to your post saying he couldn't sell, because then it would tank.

2)It was a loose use of the term. In a sense they've been an activist investor for the entire auto sector leading the entirety of it towards EV. Could they also now lead the crypto mining sector towards a more green power consumption? They could.

Last edited:
Nonsensical post/tweet. Asinine to compare how BTC works to a fiat currency like yuan.

LOL.

You missed the point of the tweet. They were being sarcastic. Calling out the environmental issues with bitcoin while being all in with China is the height of hypocrisy.

But its OK because Musk is an innovator.

Last edited:
There is a reason Hertz is in bankruptcy. No one should invest in Hertz unless they understand bankruptcy proceedings. Yes, car prices are high, but any money Hertz makes will go its creditors. Buying Hertz stock without understanding how money is distributed in bankruptcy proceeding will not work out well for you.
I think the reason they jumped here is that the influx of money takes away those creditor concerns. I think it clears the way back towards solvency and out of bankruptcy.

I think the reason they jumped here is that the influx of money takes away those creditor concerns. I think it clears the way back towards solvency and out of bankruptcy.
Still think it is a WSB dynamic going on here (or something similar).

The miners.

He could have done that without buying any bitcoin. Nobody knows why Musk is doing this but the activist angle makes no sense. Everyone has known the mining is an energy hog forever. There is no chance Musk didn't know this.

The ESG theory makes more sense or something else that hasn't come out yet.

Appears to be excessive but many of the stocks that I’m tracking haven’t hit their buy levels. Been selling my value, pharm, energy stocks to preserve my profits the last week and buying the risker tech stocks but still cash ready.

All a game similar to when I play poker, just have to calculate the odds and risk. I use to say that I have to take advantage of people emotion.
Your "buy" level is way lower than most due to your pessimistic POV. The market never reached your levels last spring which is why you missed out. Be careful this time. We will be at ATHs again very soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT