ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

The similarities I see are: 1) lots of relatively new investors who have not experienced a downturn, 2) lots of investors getting into margin purchases and options with little experience in either of these spaces, 3) investors getting into “hot” or perceived to become “hot” stocks with little understanding of the company or industry, 4) lots of private equity or other money looking for a home, 5) getting “tips” on stocks from Uber drivers (used to be cab or limo drivers). Having said that, I’m bullish long term and remain with an asset allocation that is considered very aggressive for my age by most.

Add to that an IPO anticipated at 80, set at 120 and then goes to 200.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
The similarities I see are: 1) lots of relatively new investors who have not experienced a downturn, 2) lots of investors getting into margin purchases and options with little experience in either of these spaces, 3) investors getting into “hot” or perceived to become “hot” stocks with little understanding of the company or industry, 4) lots of private equity or other money looking for a home, 5) getting “tips” on stocks from Uber drivers (used to be cab or limo drivers). Having said that, I’m bullish long term and remain with an asset allocation that is considered very aggressive for my age by most.
Lots of soft and indirect "similarities" in this list.

Lots of soft and indirect "similarities" in this list.
Hey, as Chip Monk said, “the brown acid is not specifically too good.” It’s your trip. Judging by your posts you know what you are doing but others may be less experienced. I get a little concerned when I hear some new investors comment and act on the market these days. But like Chip Monk said, “...it’s your trip so be my guest...”. I’m bullish long term but neither you nor I, nor anyone else has a clue about short term. I’m just trying to pass on my experience and views for what they are worth.

Reactions: Frida's Boss
Hey, as Chip Monk said, “the brown acid is not specifically too good.” It’s your trip. Judging by your posts you know what you are doing but others may be less experienced. I get a little concerned when I hear some new investors comment and act on the market these days. But like Chip Monk said, “...it’s your trip so be my guest...”. I’m bullish long term but neither you nor I, nor anyone else has a clue about short term. I’m just trying to pass on my experience and views for what they are worth.

They are the latest believers in the long standing religion of “this time it’s different.” The most dangerous words in investing., yet seemingly seductive as well This thread is littered with aspiring priests.

How about selling puts on some blue chips or ETF's? Seems to be too much irrational 'Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel' exuberance currently.

How about selling puts on some blue chips or ETF's? Seems to be too much irrational 'Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel' exuberance currently.

The market can stay irrational longer than most can remain solvent. Think that was said, at least approximately, by Keynes. Betting against overvaluation hasn‘t been a great strategy

They are the latest believers in the long standing religion of “this time it’s different.” The most dangerous words in investing., yet seemingly seductive as well This thread is littered with aspiring priests.
It's been different since the beginning of QE. Why? Because it is different. The rules of the game have changed. As per the feds, the party will continue for at least several more years. Enjoy!

Again, you ignore valuation because a variable has changed, which in the church of this time it’s different renders the history of security prices and markets irrelevant. Maybe this is the first time. I wouldn’t bet on it.
But if prices of securities were not pumped up by the fed's in the past, as they are now, are they relevant?

Now the Fed's won't pump this up forever, but it doesn't look like they are changing course any time soon either.

I also think there is a difference between "this market is currently overvalued" and "this market resembles the tech bubble". As I say above, shades maybe, but as of now the comparisons are not all that striking.

But if prices of securities were not pumped up by the fed's in the past, as they are now, are they relevant?

Now the Fed's won't pump this up forever, but it doesn't look like they are changing course any time soon either.

I also think there is a difference between "this market is currently overvalued" and "this market resembles the tech bubble". As I say above, shades maybe, but as of now the comparisons are not all that striking.

This is not the first time the Fed has provided substantial stimulus to the markets.

The similarities to other bubbles are striking, even if the overvaluation isn’t as extreme. You don’t have to be the most overvalued of all time to be extremely overvalued.

Nope.
Frida is reading from a book that has been out of print for a decade.

My experience is not academic, sport. But I will say this. I don’t waste time trying to figure out if Facebook is going up or not, or if the FAANGs have room to run at these prices, or if I should allocate. Ore to growth over value. That’s all a waste of time. When you focus on areas where everyone else is looking, you won’t get anything but a similar result as everyone else.

The way you do well is to look at areas that others are not. Buy when cheap, sell when dear and ignore all the rest. sure fire way to accumulate wealth, and you only need to get rich once. and once you do, you generally will have a lot less allocated to free floating stocks Because plenty of more attractive opportunities will come your way. Here‘s to hoping you get there, bubble guy.

Reactions: redking
My experience is not academic, sport. But I will say this. I don’t waste time trying to figure out if Facebook is going up or not, or if the FAANGs have room to run at these prices, or if I should allocate. Ore to growth over value. That’s all a waste of time. When you focus on areas where everyone else is looking, you won’t get anything but a similar result as everyone else.

The way you do well is to look at areas that others are not. Buy when cheap, sell when dear and ignore all the rest. sure fire way to accumulate wealth, and you only need to get rich once. and once you do, you generally will have a lot less allocated to free floating stocks Because plenty of more attractive opportunities will come your way. Here‘s to hoping you get there, bubble guy.

EV stocks!! (NOT TESLA)Bought low, doing good, I will ride on electric to where I wanna go, the only emissions will be coming from me.

This is not the first time the Fed has provided substantial stimulus to the markets.

The similarities to other bubbles are striking, even if the overvaluation isn’t as extreme. You don’t have to be the most overvalued of all time to be extremely overvalued.
Were the previous times to the extent we now see and were they followed by a bubble bursting?

Is this not the essence of value investing?

There is also more then a few opinions out there that FB is good value when considering future earnings. I noted one such opinion on a previous page in this thread.

I'm liking Ford in part because of their upcoming EV releases.
I agree, this will give the American car companies a chance to re-invent themselves and hopefully get their reputations back. Ford is a strong buy on Zachs, I am riding SHLL now, its rated one of the best SPAC's. Bought it at 20. This padwan will be a jedi with more intense research daily.

Last edited:

I agree with your general idea of investing, buy undervalued stocks and wait till the market recognizes its value. In terms of the tech stocks, FB, MSFT, APPL and GOOG, PE are about 32 and most DOw stocks are 27 PE. Which ones are more overvalued? I consider this market overvalued but it has been overvalued for a couple of years and one of the reasons I have a low % of my assets in the market, 30-35%. Another reason to do short term trading to be in cash. I brought the tech was their were 12-13% below their highs and willing to hold long term if their drop another 10-15%. After the crash, I’ll move in at 50-70% of my assets.

ThE funny thing is I have been out of the market when the 08 crash, 2018 and Covid and was out of the dot.com bubble because I felt Tech was overvalued. I always scared to be in the market. My method of investing or trading requires me to be out before my stocks earnings comes out and generally the crashes come right after earning seasons.

The market today DOW below the beginning of the year and S&P barely ahead for the year and I’m up about 3-4% for the year. I don’t like it when people think there’s only one way to make money in this market. I’m been investing for over 40 years and confidence of my style of investing and it’s always changing. I don’t mind 2-3% return for a couple of years until the correction occur andI can reallocate more into the market.

Last edited:

The stock market is simple, watch and track, make changes as needed. You cited international and small caps, which are still underperforming. When that changes, we shall see. Perhaps you will be right one of these days.

I agree, this will give the American car companies a chance to re-invent themselves and hopefully get their reputations back. Ford is a strong buy on Zachs, I am riding SHLL now, its rated one of the best SPAC's. Bought it at 20. This padwan will be a jedi with more intense research daily.
And just this morning I'm seeing news of the new Ford EV assembly plant.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
Should also be noted that the market started to drop not long after SNOW began trading. Down again today. SNOW itself has cooled as well.

Down over 20% from it's high yesterday and looking to drop another 5-10% pre-market. That doesn't reflect the market.

Down over 20% from it's high yesterday and looking to drop another 5-10% pre-market. That doesn't reflect the market.
So is this reminiscent of the tech bubble? Or are you saying this is reminiscent of the bubble bursting.

I've mentioned them before but Intel has a p/e of 9x, an eps of 5.4, and a price to book of 2.54.

You don't see the growth as you'll see in other tech stocks, but those #'s above look more like a utility #'s then a tech company.

Stay away from Utilities in Blue States.
As the Governators replace public utility members with their 'green' idiots.

Jim Cramer is saying the flood of IPO's is reminiscent of 2014 which over saturated the market and brought the whole market down.

Stay away from Utilities in Blue States.
As the Governators replace public utility members with their 'green' idiots.

Unless they are alternative energy utilities who will be favored.

BTW, NEE (NextEra) has been a nice long term investment despite a dividend that's below the sector average because it had an attractive mix that includes a higher % of wind and solar than industry average. Not 100%, hell not even close to 50%, but a mix.

My personal experience with IPO's has made me "from Missouri" in that end of the market.

I like to stay away until the issue finds it's true trading levels, not something based on the market makers or the brokerage firm making the initial evaluation.

In fact, it was a small cap IPO and the 'tricky" dealings of the owner of my firm, that made me close the retail offices and get my brokers jobs at different firms and leave the industry as a Series 24.

Being realistic is not political.

If I was being that, I would advise to go ALL cash till Nov 4th.
I was talking about Intel and you somehow jumped on the oppurtunity to talk about blue state governors and the future of utilities in those states.

But sure, realistic.

Reactions: zazoo2002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT