ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Saw lithium stocks tank off the news that Tesla would do it's own mining in the future, and thought: that doesn't make sense as Tesla is just a tiny portion of the lithium buyers, I should buy this. I didn't, and some of those stockas have nearly doubled since early friday. LAC is up another 20% today.

Probably still a good long term play but not sure if this is the time to buy in.

I went into the Techs 65% of my assets when they went down 20%. They rebounded 10% so far. I got real lucky.

giphy.gif

Bought some NKLA at $18.57.

See what happens with that thing.
Sold half at $23, the rest at $24. Might regret it if it continues to jump, but I went in with the mindset of a quick trade, so I'll take my 25-30% and be happy.

Going to see if it drops and I'll jump back in.

That’s what happens when you’re patience. All the high flying tech stocks, as I said in the past, go down 10-20% every quarter you just have to wait and they normally go back to their highs before the earning call.

I brought at 7% down and now they down another 3-5% and brought a little more. At 15 and 20% down will buy more in increments. Not for the faint of heart.
It was real scary putting 65% in this market but when AMZN, MSFT, UNH, BDX, FB, ADBE, NVDA, CRM, AMD, GOOG, and AAPL are down 20% it’s time to buy. I started buying Sept 3 and continued until it hit 20% down. In March these stocks only went down 20%.

I don’t recommend others follow my lead. It‘s educated gambling.

Saw lithium stocks tank off the news that Tesla would do it's own mining in the future, and thought: that doesn't make sense as Tesla is just a tiny portion of the lithium buyers, I should buy this. I didn't, and some of those stockas have nearly doubled since early friday. LAC is up another 20% today.

Probably still a good long term play but not sure if this is the time to buy in.
Of all the announcements made by Elon on Battery Day (9/22), the "acid-free lithium mining from Nevada clay" was the biggest question mark. It was only briefly mentioned during presentation, and Elon did not go into detail about the process. Since that announcement, I've heard many in the mining industry cast their doubts. One thing I've learned though is don't bet against Elon. It will be interesting how it plays out.

Reactions: RU-05
Just bought some OAC, a spac that is merging with Hims & Hers, a telehealth company, dropped 8% on the news.

Don't know the thinking on the drop, but telehealth is clearly a growing field, and Hims is a company with a decent name, or at least one with a TV commercial presence.

Reactions: Caliknight
It was real scary putting 65% in this market but when AMZN, MSFT, UNH, BDX, FB, ADBE, NVDA, CRM, AMD, GOOG, and AAPL are down 20% it’s time to buy. I started buying Sept 3 and continued until it hit 20% down. In March these stocks only went down 20%.

I don’t recommend others follow my lead. It‘s educated gambling.
Dave why is it ok for some anonymous posters o the internet to know about the stock market but other anonymous posters get laughed at? Is there some type of street cred when it comes to anonymous message board posters on speaking about there stock market conquests? Seems like it’s been page upon page of look at how smart I am.

FSLY has bounced between $95 and around $78 3 times over the last 3 months. Just sold 1/3 of my position at $93. Let's see if I get the opportunity to buy back in below $80.
FSLY currently over $98. A breakout through that $95 resistance? Riding the coattails of the Datadog news with Microsoft(the two have been on pretty similar upward runs this year)?

Just bought some OAC, a spac that is merging with Hims & Hers, a telehealth company, dropped 8% on the news.

Don't know the thinking on the drop, but telehealth is clearly a growing field, and Hims is a company with a decent name, or at least one with a TV commercial presence.

I invested in HC fund a couple of years ago focused primarily on tele-medicine, though they have funded some other HC companies too. We've done in the last 8 months what they were predicting would take a decade to accomplish in this space.

I invested in HC fund a couple of years ago focused primarily on tele-medicine, though they have funded some other HC companies too. We've done in the last 8 months what they were predicting would take a decade to accomplish in this space.
Tele-everything right? Health, gambling, retail, car sales. All the on-line, phone oriented businesses were emerging anyway but accelerated in a big way by covid.

And they might be too hot right now, and there is likely a rotation back to banks and airlines and oil and all those segments which have lagged, but long term if you stay in these tech companies you're going to do well.

Dave why is it ok for some anonymous posters o the internet to know about the stock market but other anonymous posters get laughed at? Is there some type of street cred when it comes to anonymous message board posters on speaking about there stock market conquests? Seems like it’s been page upon page of look at how smart I am.
They been crying about my trading for years. When Trump came out with the trade tariffs last year unexpectedly, I mentioned I was allocating less to equity and they, Cali and T2 K, starting calling anyone a chicken for not staying entirely in the market, when most investors have been reducing their exposure to the market.

My style of investing or trading is to take advantage of the seasonal swings in the market. In many cases, I have been able to avoid the crashes since I am mainly out of the market and in cash before earnings come out for my stocks. I only bring it up since they are a few more sophisticated traders/ investors that might learn something. But low and sell high. There are plenty of ways to make money in the market. I never criticized anyone on how they attempt to earn money in the market.

They been crying about my trading for years. When Trump came out with the trade tariffs last year unexpectedly, I mentioned I was allocating less to equity and they, Cali and T2 K, starting calling anyone a chicken for not staying entirely in the market, when most investors have been reducing their exposure to the market.

My style of investing or trading is to take advantage of the seasonal swings in the market. In many cases, I have been able to avoid the crashes since I am mainly out of the market and in cash before earnings come out for my stocks. I only bring it up since they are a few more sophisticated traders/ investors that might learn something. But low and sell high. There are plenty of ways to make money in the market. I never criticized anyone on how they attempt to earn money in the market.
cl02.jpg

😀

I wish I knew more about investing. I have just been maxing out my deferred compensation at work and I also did catch up for the last three years. Many of my coworkers worry about the ups and downs of the market. It seems it’s up and down everyday. Next year deferred compensation goes to 20G a year. I think it’s a great thing that allows so many people to have a nest egg plus a pension.

I wish I knew more about investing. I have just been maxing out my deferred compensation at work and I also did catch up for the last three years. Many of my coworkers worry about the ups and downs of the market. It seems it’s up and down everyday. Next year deferred compensation goes to 20G a year. I think it’s a great thing that allows so many people to have a nest egg plus a pension.
With your pension, you never need to worry about money. I probably trade more than I should but it give me something to do in retirement, been retired since 53, eleven years ago. I use to play poker a lot but it easier to make money in the stock market, you just have to be patience and wait for the opportunities. I’m too lazy to get a part time job. I’ll be getting my social security and pension next year.

If you don’t want to learn about the market, it’s best to allow a professional invest it for you or just continue to invest in the S&P (Spy) thru your 401k. Long term, the market will continue to go up even with some huge bumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisru99
With your pension, you never need to worry about money. I probably trade more than I should but it give me something to do in retirement, been retired since 53, eleven years ago. I’m too lazy to get a part time job. I’ll be getting my social security and pension next year.
Yes, you are lazy. LOL. We can retire now (mid-40s) but will likely work for another 15 or so years. We both enjoy what we do and have plenty of spare time. Pensions are cute, but the investment returns are subpar and you have less control of the money. The worst thing about pensions is that they limit your ability to move companies and maximize your earning potential. HBR did a study several years ago and determined that 3-4 moves are ideal for comp and advancement. The lifetime difference is stark between those that move vs those that don't.

Yes, you are lazy. LOL. We can retire now (mid-40s) but will likely work for another 15 or so years. We both enjoy what we do and have plenty of spare time. Pensions are cute, but the investment returns are subpar and you have less control of the money. The worst thing about pensions is that they limit your ability to move companies and maximize your earning potential. HBR did a study several years ago and determined that 3-4 moves are ideal for comp and advancement. The lifetime difference is stark between those that move vs those that don't.
Yawn!!!!

He's gotta be just goofin'/trolling at this point. Who can be taking him seriously!?

If by crying you mean laughing....your so-called style is to claim you cashed-out after markets drop bigly...followed by claiming you get back in after those drops hit bottom. #Perfecto. LOL.

Last edited:
+1
You can only play the same card so many times! :)
It would be fine to just laugh at dave's market timing fantasies and not bother busting his chops, but he simply can't help himself to avoid making his pretend stock trading posts political.

Last edited:
We can't get the virus under control and allow dentists offices to open? I'd could go on from there but I won't.

I wonder what the numbers would have been if fraternity parties had been shut down and places like Washington Square had not into open air crowded parties. But this justifies shutting down dentists, barbers and small businesses practicing social distancing?

My Wife has been working at her two Dental Offices for about 3 months. She gets tested every 2 weeks, negative.

I only suggest that you cover all your bases.

Take what the IRS allows you to take, (don't be afraid of an audit.).
Reduce debt as you can. Re-finance all debt all the time to lower rates.
Have a precious metals hedge.
Don't invest into the smaller cap stocks more than you can afford to lose.
Dividends are good things to get on your investments.
Budget your life.

My Wife has been working at her two Dental Offices for about 3 months. She gets tested every 2 weeks, negative.

I'm not surprised.

The real issue is large groups with no preventative measures like masks and social distancing. Frats, sororities and Washington Square are the obvious examples but not the only ones. Crack down on those and the problems are manageable. I think that if you compared that policy with a total shut down I think the economic AND health costs of a total shut down are far worse.

The more 'large' groups are restricted the longer a seasonal airborne respiratory virus can survive.

Instead of going directly in SNOW I've been thinking about going heavier on Berkshire B.

Similarly instead of going heavier on the Airlines(currently have some small positions) been thinking of buying GE, which apparently is in the midst of a large overall turnaround of it's own. Currently trading at $6.26, consider that GE was selling at $30 in 2017. Some parallels to Ford imo with the EV play for Ford akin to the Aviation play for GE.
GE is one I've traded a couple times but it's not for the faint of heart these days despite its brand name.

Immelt was a buffoon to say the least and made one ill timed wrong move after another. Digging out of that huge hole has been a task...imagine they've had to set aside reserves in recent timesfor LTC policies written over a decade ago. It's something that should have been dealt with long ago not rear its ugly head at the most inopportune time when cash flow was in a big crunch. I think they've been conservative about it now and may have gotten their hands around the issue but it's still a little bit of a blackbox issue....hate to say it but wonder if the COVID issue may have helped that portfolio. Of course the hit they took from COVID in their crown jewel of aviation (only really strong part of the company at the time) probably negated any sort of benefit and then some. Their moves into energy with the BHI merger and Allstom were also terrible decisions not to mention share buybacks (do companies ever get buybacks right, I'd rather cold hard cash dividends rather than buy high buybacks most CEOs engage in).

There's also a JPM analyst who has got thing about GE too, he's been right all the way down but feel like he's overplaying his calls recently (especially just before the pandemic) and keeps pouncing on the stock whenever he can. Used to be if he opened his mouth about the stock it would take a hit...I think that affect has worn off at least a little.

Really the most faith in the stock comes from the faith in the current CEO Culp who once ran Danaher and was very good. He's had a huge hole to dig out of....slowly but surely he seems to be and was doing well before aviation got hit by the pandemic. He's been cutting costs, right sizing businesses, getting out of old ones that aren't profitable, trying to grow ones that are and paying down debt etc.....so it's a slow arduous process. Will he be successful...I think he could be as the pandemic goes away in the coming years and things return to some sort of normalcy. I've traded shares in the past bought in this 6-8 range but also hold some for the longer term. To streamline and reinvigorate the company is going to take time 3-5+ years additional at least I think and it's somewhat speculative (weird saying that for a GE) but I'll take the flyer putting my faith in this current CEO and new BOD. If I lose some money so be it but I also think it's got potential to be a good turnaround play over the longer haul but it's going to be a slog.

He's gotta be just goofin'/trolling at this point. Who can be taking him seriousl

If by crying you mean laughing....your so-called style is to claim you cashed-out after markets drop bigly...followed by claiming you get back in after those drops hit bottom. #Perfecto. LOL.
you should have brought AMZN at 2,960 now 3,216, FB 248 now 268, MSFT 200 now 213, ADBE 462 now 500, NVDA $476 now $543, and AAPL 106 now 116. Just a few of the trades. Most are still 10% from the high.

GE is one I've traded a couple times but it's not for the faint of heart these days despite its brand name.

Immelt was a buffoon to say the least and made one ill timed wrong move after another. Digging out of that huge hole has been a task...imagine they've had to set aside reserves in recent timesfor LTC policies written over a decade ago. It's something that should have been dealt with long ago not rear its ugly head at the most inopportune time when cash flow was in a big crunch. I think they've been conservative about it now and may have gotten their hands around the issue but it's still a little bit of a blackbox issue....hate to say it but wonder if the COVID issue may have helped that portfolio. Of course the hit they took from COVID in their crown jewel of aviation (only really strong part of the company at the time) probably negated any sort of benefit and then some. Their moves into energy with the BHI merger and Allstom were also terrible decisions not to mention share buybacks (do companies ever get buybacks right, I'd rather cold hard cash dividends rather than buy high buybacks most CEOs engage in).

There's also a JPM analyst who has got thing about GE too, he's been right all the way down but feel like he's overplaying his calls recently (especially just before the pandemic) and keeps pouncing on the stock whenever he can. Used to be if he opened his mouth about the stock it would take a hit...I think that affect has worn off at least a little.

Really the most faith in the stock comes from the faith in the current CEO Culp who once ran Danaher and was very good. He's had a huge hole to dig out of....slowly but surely he seems to be and was doing well before aviation got hit by the pandemic. He's been cutting costs, right sizing businesses, getting out of old ones that aren't profitable, trying to grow ones that are and paying down debt etc.....so it's a slow arduous process. Will he be successful...I think he could be as the pandemic goes away in the coming years and things return to some sort of normalcy. I've traded shares in the past bought in this 6-8 range but also hold some for the longer term. To streamline and reinvigorate the company is going to take time 3-5+ years additional at least I think and it's somewhat speculative (weird saying that for a GE) but I'll take the flyer putting my faith in this current CEO and new BOD. If I lose some money so be it but I also think it's got potential to be a good turnaround play over the longer haul but it's going to be a slog.
Interesting post/POV on GE. Thanks! Immelt was dealt a tough hand at the start of his tenure, but seriously, he never seemed to make the right big moves.

you should have brought AMZN at 2,960 now 3,216, FB 248 now 268, MSFT 200 now 213, ADBE 462 now 500, NVDA $476 now $543, and AAPL 106 now 116. Just a few of the trades. Most are still 10% from the high.
Just keep buying them via ETFs and funds. Plenty of room to grow in this new normal.

Dave, can you please post what specific trades you are making when you actually make them? Seriously, you come across as just an incredibly pathetic loser (who, by the way, literally no one believes when you retrospectively talk about your great moves). So either be more transparent, or loose the 12yo schdict and stop with these posts.

Dave, can you please post what specific trades you are making when you actually make them? Seriously, you come across as just an incredibly pathetic loser (who, by the way, literally no one believes when you retrospectively talk about your great moves). So either be more transparent, or loose the 12yo schdict and stop with these posts.
I made all those trades. Look back at Sept 4th post in this thread. They were crying when I brought the stocks.

The 3 clowns, T2K, BIDREDMachine, and Calif are Trump zombies that are mad whenever I post negative Trump articles for the last 3 years. They have been attacking me like they do numbers. They try to drive anti Trump posters away.

Last edited:
Cheese why do you give a shit what Dave posts? He can come here and post whatever he wants bro it’s an anonymous message board. It’s an anonymous message board!!!!!!!! Dave could be very well be full of shit and lying. Just like all the other ballers here. WHO CARES!! Don’t get flustered about an anonymous message board where no one knows anyone lol. It’s a small part of your day and you cannot wait until the games and the commitments happen because that is why we pay $100 a year for. A guy wants to say that he does this that and the other thing hey you get one life and if bragging about what a BAUCE they are to total strangers that’s there life lol. As long as there is no unwarranted personal attacks it’s all good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT