ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

I've thought that a recession might not be a deep one if we have one but I don't know if I'd say retail is strong. It was a strong day for retail but like I said above for walmart....under promise over deliver. So it's a sort of relief that it might not be so bad, not that everything is rosy.
I’ve been recently shopping at Walmart for groceries, etc. and the place is always jammed and prices are ridiculously low. Hard not to like the stock and if Walmart+ gets traction could easily break $150.

I’ve been recently shopping at Walmart for groceries, etc. and the place is always jammed and prices are ridiculously low. Hard not to like the stock and if Walmart+ gets traction could easily break $150.
Just mentioned on FM, 100K+ household shopping there more now.

Low-mid 150s is top end of that range I mentioned above. I’d be surprised if it broke through that meaningfully. I’d just want it to hold the bottom end of the range that it’s just retaken.

Walmart+ has a long way to go imo to be something really substantive.

If you read what wm said on earnings its actually not good for the larger picture of things.

What'd they say - synopsis?

Walmart CFO:

“I'd say that what we're seeing is they are still relatively healthy. We've seen some changes in consumer behavior that I put in three categories. One is there's a trade down in both quality and quantity. So instead of buying deli meats, we're seeing things like canned tuna and chicken and even beans, as units were up over 25% in the quarter. They're buying smaller pack sizes to save money. We've seen an increase in the private brands growth effect, it's 2x for food what it was in the first quarter.”

Reactions: RU Cheese
Given traffic is higher, margins less and most consumers being more cost conscious with price competitive stores, spending on non necessary items will drive lower

Reactions: RU Cheese
Ok so my financial advisor is suggesting an annuity in retirement. Could generate 70 k per year with sizeable investment up front.

Why or why not?

We would still have more than 2/3 of our retirement outside of an annuity.

We are 63 years old I'm retiring at the end of this year no debts and we own our home.

Ok so my financial advisor is suggesting an annuity in retirement. Could generate 70 k per year with sizeable investment up front.

Why or why not?

We are 63 years old I'm retiring at the end of this year no debts and we own our home.
There are pluses and minuses when it comes to annuities. The main complaint I hear is the fees. I own an annuity and am comfortable with the fees. You need to realize getting an annuity at age 63 will lock your money for at least a 7 year vesting period before you can take distributions. If you’re comfortable with that, then you have a decision to make.
My annuity is with Prudential, has a daily step up guarantee (most have quarterly step ups), fully vested at 7 years but you can have it grow for a maximum 10 years, 5% annual distribution, and a residual death benefit based on its NAV after withdrawals.

Not a good job by them, lowered guidance twice and still missed. Reiterated full year numbers but I’m wondering if the market will trust them after their recent poor history in forecasting.

There are pluses and minuses when it comes to annuities. The main complaint I hear is the fees. I own an annuity and am comfortable with the fees. You need to realize getting an annuity at age 63 will lock your money for at least a 7 year vesting period before you can take distributions. If you’re comfortable with that, then you have a decision to make.
My annuity is with Prudential, has a daily step up guarantee (most have quarterly step ups), fully vested at 7 years but you can have it grow for a maximum 10 years, 5% annual distribution, and a residual death benefit based on its NAV after withdrawals.
Good Info thank you !

A name mentioned here WEBR....just saw a Citi downgrade to sell. Reduced PT 65% to 2.75. Ouch. Not one to put faith in analysts in general but they can move stocks.

A name mentioned here WEBR....just saw a Citi downgrade to sell. Reduced PT 65% to 2.75. Ouch. Not one to put faith in analysts in general but they can move stocks.
WEBR and COOK are trading like quasi-meme stocks these days. WEBR was up 16%+ yesterday and I made 20% on COOK in a matter of two days last week. I’ve traded in and out of both recently although I still hold WEBR right now. I’ll have to evaluate the Citi downgrade because I’ve liked this space for a while and one of my best investments ever has been CWH. I could see WEBR and COOK being acquisition targets based on their brand names and niche space.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
WEBR and COOK are trading like quasi-meme stocks these days. WEBR was up 16%+ yesterday and I made 20% on COOK in a matter of two days last week. I’ve traded in and out of both recently although I still hold WEBR right now. I’ll have to evaluate the Citi downgrade because I’ve liked this space for a while and one of my best investments ever has been CWH. I could see WEBR and COOK being acquisition targets based on their brand names and niche space.
How is the meme crew choosing stocks? Is all this still about punishing the shorters?

Annuities is a topic I need to educate myself on more. I know the basics and that most people said to avoid due to very high fees, but the concept of them really do make sense (to help build a foundation of financial security).

How is the meme crew choosing stocks? Is all this still about punishing the shorters?
I never believed the BS about punishing shorts. Savvy investors know shorts have to cover to reduce risk. It was all a money-making scheme from the start, at least for those savvy investors or shrewd folks like Roaring Kitty that orchestrated momentum moves by mobilizing the masses. Imagine if at the RU-Louisville game in 2006 someone made a public announcement to buy a certain stock = between the crowd itself plus the buzz it would generate that stock would likely skyrocket in the days that follow. At least, that’s how I view the crap that goes on with WSB = Mobilizing traders + momentum.

Reactions: RUAldo
The Citi massive downgrade on WEBR is suspect to say the least…hard not to think that the analyst is helping out a buddy that’s short. I get that WEBR is carrying a lot of debt and there are SC challenges, but a 65% drop and Sell rating?! Laughable. I’ll likely buy more on a big drop and may also pick up COOK again on a major dip. Anyone that doesn’t believe that Wall Street and Hedge Funds run this country just educate yourself on the carried interest debate.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The Citi massive downgrade on WEBR is suspect to say the least…hard not to think that the analyst is helping out a buddy that’s short. I get that WEBR is carrying a lot of debt and there are SC challenges, but a 65% drop and Sell rating?! Laughable. I’ll likely buy more on a big drop and may also pick up COOK again on a major dip. Anyone that doesn’t believe that Wall Street and Hedge Funds run this country just educate yourself on the carried interest debate.
If the massive debt is floating rate, it’s more than justified.

Why or why not?

In my opinion, Single Premium Immediate Annuities (SPIAs) are fine. They have very low fees and you can get full competitive information on them online. They are almost a commodity in the sense they are so transparently priced and competitive. That’s why most insurance companies and Commission based advisors don’t talk about them much (they don’t make much money on them). Variable annuities and other annuity products very often have high commissions, operating fees, and other sometimes opaque terms and complexities. I don’t own any annuities but if we’re to buy one, it’d certainly be a SPIA.

If the massive debt is floating rate, it’s more than justified.
Meh, I think a 65% price target cut is way overboard but I’m not putting my lifesavings in any grill manufacturer. It’s a spec play in my portfolio. I got in under $6.

In my opinion, Single Premium Immediate Annuities (SPIAs) are fine. They have very low fees and you can get full competitive information on them online. They are almost a commodity in the sense they are so transparently priced and competitive. That’s why most insurance companies and Commission based advisors don’t talk about them much (they don’t make much money on them). Variable annuities and other annuity products very often have high commissions, operating fees, and other sometimes opaque terms and complexities. I don’t own any annuities but if we’re to buy one, it’d certainly be a SPIA.

Interesting, gotta look up SPIAs.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Meh, I think a 65% price target cut is way overboard but I’m not putting my lifesavings in any grill manufacturer. It’s a spec play in my portfolio. I got in under $6.
Just to show you don’t really understand corporate balance sheet.

Just to show you don’t really understand corporate balance sheet.
Come on, you think a corporate balance sheet dictates a stock price or analyst upgrade/downgrade? GMAFB. Like I said, it’s a relatively small spec play in my portfolio and I’m still up about 30%.

Come on, you think a corporate balance sheet dictates a stock price or analyst upgrade/downgrade? GMAFB. Like I said, it’s a relatively small spec play in my portfolio and I’m still up about 30%.
It’s debt, killer of businesses.

It’s debt, killer of businesses.
not only that but one of the things that is not being talked about enough is the use of rate enhanced debt structures which is worse as rates rise or time period step ups are introduced. Regardless of the debt structure, most debt will be hit harder as it's repurpased through debt buyback and reissuance to avoide those enhancers and step ups. This is especially true for companies like webr that don't have strong balance sheets and use structured products to shore up short-term balance sheets. Factor in fx, which really isn't helping given the reduction in money supply abroad in major markets and it looks rough.

Fed is really behind on much, it's why I said end of last year....PAIN

I guess Cohen isn’t an ape after all. Just another pump and dump scheme.

Bought some Sept $11 strike puts yesterday for $1.3 sold them today at $2.20. Bought them back for $1.80, and had a sell order in for $2.00 which thankfully didn't hit.

Probably sell them tomorrow, but maybe not, as this could get back down to $6.

Did buy CEI yesterday as well, that meme energy stock with no financial records(at least on e-trade) to even comb through. But it was near 3 year lows at around .36 cents. Up 13% today, see where that goes.

TELL with a big day as well, it shouldn't be my largest holding but it is, and thankfully it's on a good run.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT