ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Futures looking good for tomorrow, as of now.

Question - what cash/income investments do you use? Stable value funds, strategic income funds, or just CDs.

Question - what cash/income investments do you use? Stable value funds, strategic income funds, or just CDs.
Whoa, Mr. Equities looking for fixed income investments.

I used a mix of muni and pfd for tax adj yield. Have not bought any muni in years and no pfd since March. No point buying CDs. I do have a “high” yield online savings account.

Whoa, Mr. Equities looking for fixed income investments.

I used a mix of muni and pfd for tax adj yield. Have not bought any muni in years and no pfd since March. No point buying CDs. I do have a “high” yield online savings account.
Our cash is in online savings and CDs (ranging from 1.5% to 2.0%). I'm more asking about investment accounts. We normally do 80% equities and 20% bonds/fixed for some diversity.

We currently use:
DODIX - Dodge & Cox Income Fund
BIV - Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index
FADMX - Fidelity Strategic Income Fund

Curious about other ideas.

Our cash is in online savings and CDs (ranging from 1.5% to 2.0%). I'm more asking about investment accounts. We normally do 80% equities and 20% bonds/fixed for some diversity.

We currently use:
DODIX - Dodge & Cox Income Fund
BIV - Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index
FADMX - Fidelity Strategic Income Fund

Curious about other ideas.

You're not going to get 1.5-2% on new CDs when your current holding mature. I'm splitting fixed income between CDs with truly shitty rates and Single A rated Preferred utility stocks.

You're not going to get 1.5-2% on new CDs when your current holding mature. I'm splitting fixed income between CDs with truly shitty rates and Single A rated Preferred utility stocks.
Not new, 3 and 5 year CDs for those rates. Will start maturing in mid 2021. Current options are obviously garbage.

Not new, 3 and 5 year CDs for those rates. Will start maturing in mid 2021. Current options are obviously garbage.
You should look into closed end funds (trade like etf’s). I bought JPS and JPC, both Nuveen managed a couple months ago at a pretty good discount. They’re both up 10-15% and the dividends are around 8%. There are a few other good ones if you look into them.

Reactions: OC Knight and RU-05
You should look into closed end funds (trade like etf’s). I bought JPS and JPC, both Nuveen managed a couple months ago at a pretty good discount. They’re both up 10-15% and the dividends are around 8%. There are a few other good ones if you look into them.
I would be careful with this. 8% yield on pfd means high risk. Last two offering I saw were around 5% on good credit. last pfd I bought with above 8% yield was Deutsche Bank right before they got bailed out by HNA.

I would be careful with this. 8% yield on pfd means high risk. Last two offering I saw were around 5% on good credit. last pfd I bought with above 8% yield was Deutsche Bank right before they got bailed out by HNA.

Lot of 5% BBBs out there. Single As around 4.75.

Reactions: jtung230
The 8% is because they took a hit in March like everything else. The appreciation alone was worth the buy but the yield at current values is pretty stable. It’s not triple A but it’s not junk either.

2nd vaccine market boom, more coming soon!

Moderna says preliminary trial data shows its coronavirus vaccine is more than 94% effective, shares soar

Moderna said preliminary phase three trial data shows its coronavirus vaccine is more than 94% effective in preventing Covid-19 — a result CEO Stephane Bancel called a “game changer.”

The analysis evaluated 95 confirmed Covid-19 infections among the trial’s 30,000 participants. Moderna, which developed its vaccine in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said 90 cases of Covid-19 were observed in the placebo group versus 5 cases observed in the group that received its two-dose vaccine. That resulted in an estimated vaccine efficacy of 94.5%, it said.

Shares of the company jumped more than 17% in premarket trading.

The announcement follows on the heels of similar news last week from Pfizer’s late-stage Covid-19 vaccine trial as pharmaceutical companies across the world race against the clock to find ways to prevent the virus, which has spread to more than 54.4 million people, killing more than 1.3 million, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

“This is a pivotal moment in the development of our COVID-19 vaccine candidate,” Bancel said in a statement. “Since early January, we have chased this virus with the intent to protect as many people around the world as possible. All along, we have known that each day matters. This positive interim analysis from our Phase 3 study has given us the first clinical validation that our vaccine can prevent COVID-19 disease, including severe disease.”

The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based company also said there were no “significant” safety concerns, adding the vaccine was generally safe and well-tolerated with the majority of adverse events in participants being labeled as mild or moderate. Side effects included pain at the injection site and, after the second dose, fatigue, muscle pain and headaches.

“Knowing that we have a vaccine that would help more people who would take it is just a wonderful feeling,” Bancel said in an interview with CNBC. “As you know a lot of people have been reluctant in surveys to take a vaccine because I think we’re worried about the politicization of a vaccine, they’re worried about what you get with a flu shot you know 50% to 60% efficacy.”

With an efficacy rate of 95%, “that’s a game-changer, I believe,” he said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Postman_1
The 8% is because they took a hit in March like everything else. The appreciation alone was worth the buy but the yield at current values is pretty stable. It’s not triple A but it’s not junk either.
The March recovery happened in a day. I bought a bunch and all of them are trading above par value now. If they are yielding 8% now, it’s junk.

Reactions: patk89
It's an auction.The next company will claim that their vaccine is 97 per cent effective and that it can survive the temperatures on the planet Mercury.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Just take a look at the institutions owning JPS and JPC and note that they've also increased their holdings since last week. As to the dividend yield, my bad, it was almost 10% when I bought it, now at 6 and change since the price appreciation.

2nd vaccine market boom, more coming soon!

Moderna says preliminary trial data shows its coronavirus vaccine is more than 94% effective, shares soar

Moderna said preliminary phase three trial data shows its coronavirus vaccine is more than 94% effective in preventing Covid-19 — a result CEO Stephane Bancel called a “game changer.”

The analysis evaluated 95 confirmed Covid-19 infections among the trial’s 30,000 participants. Moderna, which developed its vaccine in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said 90 cases of Covid-19 were observed in the placebo group versus 5 cases observed in the group that received its two-dose vaccine. That resulted in an estimated vaccine efficacy of 94.5%, it said.

Shares of the company jumped more than 17% in premarket trading.

The announcement follows on the heels of similar news last week from Pfizer’s late-stage Covid-19 vaccine trial as pharmaceutical companies across the world race against the clock to find ways to prevent the virus, which has spread to more than 54.4 million people, killing more than 1.3 million, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

“This is a pivotal moment in the development of our COVID-19 vaccine candidate,” Bancel said in a statement. “Since early January, we have chased this virus with the intent to protect as many people around the world as possible. All along, we have known that each day matters. This positive interim analysis from our Phase 3 study has given us the first clinical validation that our vaccine can prevent COVID-19 disease, including severe disease.”

The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based company also said there were no “significant” safety concerns, adding the vaccine was generally safe and well-tolerated with the majority of adverse events in participants being labeled as mild or moderate. Side effects included pain at the injection site and, after the second dose, fatigue, muscle pain and headaches.

“Knowing that we have a vaccine that would help more people who would take it is just a wonderful feeling,” Bancel said in an interview with CNBC. “As you know a lot of people have been reluctant in surveys to take a vaccine because I think we’re worried about the politicization of a vaccine, they’re worried about what you get with a flu shot you know 50% to 60% efficacy.”

With an efficacy rate of 95%, “that’s a game-changer, I believe,” he said.

This jump was less then the Pfizer jump, and I think succeeding jumps will be progressively less. But the more companies with successful vacinnes means more doses available in the short term.

Between the vacinnes and the #'s of new cases I have to believe we will be in very good shape by spring.

I'm not in the on the cruise lines, was trying to time it just right and in doing so I missed a series of solid move's which has seen it more then double from it's lows. I probably shouldn't and I should just buy it right now, but I'll wait to see if it comes down during the week. I think this group has another easy doubling in the share price within the next year.

I know there was a FCEL guy here somewhere, up 30ish% today and has doubled since it's last quarterly earning.

Those lithium miners I mentioned recently also have been running again after a decent pull back.

Last edited:
I know there was a FCEL guy here somewhere, up 30ish% today and has doubled since it's last quarterly earning.

Those lithium miners I mentioned recently also have been running again lately after a decent pull back.
Still can't get into any precious metals. Seems too voodoo. :)

ALB up 35% in the last month and 6% today. I wouldn't buy tomorrow, but non-China lithium is for real.

Reactions: RU-05
ALB up 35% in the last month and 6% today. I wouldn't buy tomorrow, but non-China lithium is for real.
Who knows where it will be 20 years from now, but I think it's pretty safe to say that 5 years from now lithium batteries will be all over the place.

been loving this mkt all year. Volatility means coin provided you play it right. All in on a few stocks now

What is the P/E of RSP which is the etf of the S&P 500 equally weighted? Can't find that P/E anywhere.

You played the vaccine stock surge perfectly. Not a bad idea to take some chips off the table at this point. I wish that I had been more aggressive over the last few months. Remember, pigs get slaughtered as the old trader slogan goes. But if I knew, I wouldn't still be working.

agree, no correlation any longer and it's been waning for some years. Charts and ratios beseech themselves for validity during manipulated markets
I mostly agree with and want to believe it also. I just remember similar "new metrics" in 2000 with the dot com era. It wasn't about earnings or P/E, all that mattered then was "eyeballs". I understand these are completely different circumstances but my instinctive caution just says to be a little bit afraid. Fear is good for investors. Too much optimism or euphoria is historically a time to get out.

I mostly agree with and want to believe it also. I just remember similar "new metrics" in 2000 with the dot com era. It wasn't about earnings or P/E, all that mattered then was "eyeballs". I understand these are completely different circumstances but my instinctive caution just says to be a little bit afraid. Fear is good for investors. Too much optimism or euphoria is historically a time to get out.
I hear you but the level of Fed and other CB interaction is truly unprecedenant

Reactions: ScarletNut
I hear you but the level of Fed and other CB interaction is truly unprecedenant

I don’t completely agree with your assessment that correlations and valuation metrics don’t matter. When you look at risk premiums, they are relatively consistent across the various asset classes. That includes an earnings yield on the equity markets relative to either 10-year or the 30-year. So, correlations have been fairly consistent. I will cite certain movements in gold prices as perhaps breaking historical norms, but that was only on a shot term basis.

Where I do agree is that absolute values bear little resemblance to historical averages because of fed actions. That means we’re looking at subpar, very meager prospective returns across the asset spectrum. These valuations are not any type of new normal, but dependent upon continued Fed action in line with current policy, or when the market rebels and takes rates higher on their own. That will happen if the Fed continues (when is anyone’s guess) and you’ll be watching stocks plummet if and when it does.

What isn’t debatable is that the underlying risk of these investments is any different than history. You’re just not being paid an absolute price to compensate for said risks. High risk, low return isn’t a great way to invest.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
. Too much optimism or euphoria is historically a time to get out.
I would think the current move would not be to get out, but to rotate to better value.

Some things do look very high right now(although I wonder if some of the mega techs are) but there are a lot of stocks which do not look all that high right now.

I would think the current move would not be to get out, but to rotate to better value.

Some things do look very high right now(although I wonder if some of the mega techs are) but there are a lot of stocks which do not look all that high right now.
Modestly decreasing my allocation of large cap growth funds/indexes, increasing my allocation of mid and small caps (Russell 2000). No value funds/indexes yet.

Modestly decreasing my allocation of large cap growth funds/indexes, increasing my allocation of mid and small caps (Russell 2000). No value funds/indexes yet.
I like it. Contrarian play. Might be a tad early. Still a lot of BKs to come.

I like it. Contrarian play. Might be a tad early. Still a lot of BKs to come.
I got out of small/mid-caps about 2 years ago, but for the past few months it looks like the returns are starting to coming back. Growth stocks are still strong and my overall "growth" allocation may only go down slightly. Russell 2000 and Russell 2000 Growth are what I am increasing now (equal buys).

Keeping it simple:
VTWO
VTWG

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT