ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

I did find a small silver mining stock that I have done really well with of late, but the rest of my gold and silver holdings have been dogs for months. Got rid of my GLD and GOLD, still holding my SLV, but I'm thinking of giving it the boot as well. Down 15% over the last 3 months.
Gold blows. Too reactionary of an option.

Gold blows. Too reactionary of an option.
And it seems crypto has taken much of the tailwinds away from the precious metals. Crypto flying of late.

Now the converse of my thought process might be true and this may be the time to get back into precious metals, buying fairly cheap and wait for that next run.

And it seems crypto has taken much of the tailwinds away from the precious metals. Crypto flying of late.

Now the converse of my thought process might be true and this may be the time to get back into precious metals, buying fairly cheap and wait for that next run.
How about you buy a few nice indexes or funds and stop gambling? :)

It's not my best performer of the day buy NKLA up 27% at the moment.

This market is officially crazy again.

It's not my best performer of the day buy NKLA up 27% at the moment.

This market is officially crazy again.

No, this truck isn't driving under its own power. It had to be towed up a hill, then using clever videography, it was filmed rolling downhill. This, among other things is why the SEC is investigating Nikola. Who is buying NKLA? Crazy market indeed.

Reactions: redking
I did find a small silver mining stock that I have done really well with of late, but the rest of my gold and silver holdings have been dogs for months. Got rid of my GLD and GOLD, still holding my SLV, but I'm thinking of giving it the boot as well. Down 15% over the last 3 months.
Hope you still kept your GBTC.

No, this truck isn't driving under its own power. It had to be towed up a hill, then using clever videography, it was filmed rolling downhill. This, among other things is why the SEC is investigating Nikola. Who is buying NKLA? Crazy market indeed.
The stock tumbled on that news, but the story has changed since then. CEO stepped down, and GM has shown strong signals they will finalize a deal with NKLA. Then look out for a deal for hydrogen distribution with a traditional oil company such as BP(there was a rumored deal out there prior to the fraud allegations).

Which is not to say NKLA's recent moves, or the entirety of the EV sectors for that matter, are not crazy, but I think NKLA has moved on from the above.

Hope you still kept your GBTC.
Yes Sir. Hearing some crazy bullish calls on Bit Coin, a more tame one was thinking it would double in the next year, a more aggressive was thinking a 10x move was possible(though this one was not in a one year time frame).

Last edited:
GE up 5% or so today on an Oppenheimer upgrade to outperform. 9-10.50 area was where I mentioned it could meet some resistance and maybe retrace a bit...maybe even close the gap up from a little while back. Some consolidation wouldn't be a bad thing considering the nice run it's had. Article also mentioned the golden cross I talked about awhile back with the 50DMA crossing the 200DMA...a lagging indicator as I said but can indicate a longer term change in trend and the bottom hopefully should be in now finally.

More news on further cuts at aviation in reaction to what they expect will a slow recovery with aviation. Culp is doing a good job slowly getting the company lean and efficient over time. Renewables showing a profit along with the positive cash flow considering the difficult environment are some signs of that. They even recently acquired a small company from Sweden IIRC for Healthcare and while size of the deal isn't anything to write home about just acquiring a company as opposed to the sale of assets they've underwent in the last few years is another positive sign of a changing course and reinvesting into the business.

Reactions: redking and RU-05
The stock tumbled on that news, but the story has changed since then. CEO stepped down, and GM has shown strong signals they will finalize a deal with NKLA. Then look out for a deal for hydrogen distribution with a traditional oil company such as BP(there was a rumored deal out there prior to the fraud allegations).

Which is not to say NKLA's recent moves, or the entirety of the EV sectors for that matter, are not crazy, but I think NKLA has moved on from the above.
Hydrogen is dead. The best case hydrogen fuel cell doesn't win vs current batteries.

That's amazing. Any profit taking along the way?
None so far, I was considering it, but I am letting it ride for now. If it can stay even or go up between now and March, and it becomes a long term gain, maybe I end up doing it.

Reactions: RU-05
Probably because Wall Street analysis aren't very good at engineering. Solar, wind, and batteries, lots and lots of batteries are the energy future.
I meant that companies like GM are investing in fuel cells. Looks like hydrogen is more suitable to long haul big trucks, perhaps because of refueling?

But I agree that we are going to see lots of batteries in the future. I'm invested there as well.

None so far, I was considering it, but I am letting it ride for now. If it can stay even or go up between now and March, and it becomes a long term gain, maybe I end up doing it.

Congratulations! Nice! Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with but for what it’s worth, I’m in the camp of taking some profits and letting some shares ride. I’ve done that successfully at times, but where I haven’t I’ve sometimes kicked myself.

In the ‘80s, and just out of grad school, I bought a very small number of shares (as in an odd lot of about $1000 cost basis) of Amgen and Microsoft. Over the decades they split many times. I have periodically sold and taken profits but held onto some shares that gave me the best of both worlds. Conversely, I bought a small amount of CMGI and Global Crossing in the ‘90s and road them up, then ultimately to zero. Less then 20% of my portfolio is in individual equities, with no one position being more than 4%. The balance is in mutual funds, both index and also some actively managed (all Vanguard).

My point is that there is nothing wrong with taking some profit and let some winners ride. And also diversify!

I meant that companies like GM are investing in fuel cells. Looks like hydrogen is more suitable to long haul big trucks, perhaps because of refueling?

But I agree that we are going to see lots of batteries in the future. I'm invested there as well.
Hydrogen is dead. No infrastructure and no one will build it only for long haul trucks.

Hydrogen is dead. No infrastructure and no one will build it only for long haul trucks.
Maybe. NKLA's long term plan, and I do acknowledge they are more of a plan then a business, is that they would provide the infrastructure. They would sell the truck, and in that price is included the fuel.

And if cars are going away from oil, be sure that oil companies will look for a way to get cars into their gas stations. It won't be for EV charging, it could be for hydrogen.

But who knows, and if it makes you feel better I just sold my position in NKLA. Made 40% in a couple days. If it comes down I'd probably jump back in.

Maybe. NKLA's long term plan, and I do acknowledge they are more of a plan then a business, is that they would provide the infrastructure. They would sell the truck, and in that price is included the fuel.

And if cars are going away from oil, be sure that oil companies will look for a way to get cars into their gas stations. It won't be for EV charging, it could be for hydrogen.

But who knows, and if it makes you feel better I just sold my position in NKLA. Made 40% in a couple days. If it comes down I'd probably jump back in.
Get public buses to convert as well and it may have a future.

It's probably easier for refueling, but that's the only thing it has going for it. Hydrogen isn't a source of energy, it's energy storage. It's a major pain in the ass to make and an even bigger pain to get to large scale production. If you're getting your hydrogen from water, electrolysis is very inefficient energy wise. It's about 50% less efficient vs batteries. It's low density energy source, potential dangerous because it's extremely flammable, invisible, odorless. Propane or methane fuel cells would be way easier, but they're hydrocarbons. Long hauling w batteries will get you 500+ miles some time next year.

It's probably easier for refueling, but that's the only thing it has going for it. Hydrogen isn't a source of energy, it's energy storage. It's a major pain in the ass to make and an even bigger pain to get to large scale production. If you're getting your hydrogen from water, electrolysis is very inefficient energy wise. It's about 50% less efficient vs batteries. It's low density energy source, potential dangerous because it's extremely flammable, invisible, odorless. Propane or methane fuel cells would be way easier, but they're hydrocarbons. Long hauling w batteries will get you 500+ miles some time next year.
Refueling, but also weight. NKLA current CEO was on Cramer tonight and he noted that.

Not that I really know the reasons, but there must be some reasoning behind it, otherwise companies like GM and Cummins would not be pursuing it. Looks like Cummins is actually looking to put it in trains as well as trucks.

Diesel Engine Giant Cummins Plans Hydrogen Future–With Trains Coming Before Trucks (forbes.com)

And to @T2Kplus10 point above, buses as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-05
Looking at TELL. Oil and nat gas company. Was over $6 preCovid and as high as $11 in 2019. Got as low as .66 cents in sept, but has, along with the entirety of the energy sector begun to move higher late and currently sits at $1.38(so it has already doubled off it's recent lows).

Maybe it never gets back to it's pre covid levels, but this thing def has head room in the short to mid term.

Refueling, but also weight. NKLA current CEO was on Cramer tonight and he noted that.

Not that I really know the reasons, but there must be some reasoning behind it, otherwise companies like GM and Cummins would not be pursuing it. Looks like Cummins is actually looking to put it in trains as well as trucks.

Diesel Engine Giant Cummins Plans Hydrogen Future–With Trains Coming Before Trucks (forbes.com)

And to @T2Kplus10 point above, buses as well.
There is no way for hydrogen to compete with diesel cost wise, so until diesel is completely outlawed, I don't see it happening. And, by that time, battery energy density and charging times will have improved drastically.
Maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps GM and Nikola have some secret sauce up their sleeve.
Personally, I doubt it. I think hydrogen remains a fool's errand until someone demonstrates how to produce it at scale and cost.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
There is no way for hydrogen to compete with diesel cost wise, so until diesel is completely outlawed, I don't see it happening. And, by that time, battery energy density and charging times will have improved drastically.
Maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps GM and Nikola have some secret sauce up their sleeve.
Personally, I doubt it. I think hydrogen remains a fool's errand until someone demonstrates how to produce it at scale and cost.
Like EV's it will take some gov't intervention to get it going. Cummins CEO alluded to that.

Looking at TELL. Oil and nat gas company. Was over $6 preCovid and as high as $11 in 2019. Got as low as .66 cents in sept, but has, along with the entirety of the energy sector begun to move higher late and currently sits at $1.38(so it has already doubled off it's recent lows).

Maybe it never gets back to it's pre covid levels, but this thing def has head room in the short to mid term.
Was $1.38 yesterday at the end of extended trading, I bought this morning at 1.45. Currently at $1.59.

The price action of ATVI and EA are remarkably similar over the last 10 years. This is the opinion of the untrained eye in terms of technicals, but it looks like each recently bounced off a resistance level which was their all time highs set in 2018. After regrouping the long term trends suggest each are going to break out through those levels and go on a nice run.

Fundies are pretty similar as well, both look like pretty fair value. I don't see it as a huge rush like getting in on TELL above, or riding a quick wave in the green energy-EV plays, so I might watch it a bit, but I think I will set up a long term position eventually in one of those.

Someone mentioned ZNGA a few months back, another video game play, and after a 5 year run which has seen growing rev's(especially in more recent years), growing earnings, and 5x upward move in the stock price, they have come back 20% off their highs, and have seen their earnings go from black to red in a big way.

Is the latter in an effort to continue footprint expansion?

8.7B market cap(EA is 35B, ATVI is 59B), and a $8 per share price tag. Another one I'm keeping an eye on. Tech in general and video games more specifically, are taking a breather, but the long term trend are without a doubt in the upward direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT